Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Not High On Trading A Top Pick, Manning Much Better, May Prctice Next Week

bayone

I will not be responding , no time to , but thought u would like this and had the time. Love My Colt Friends,

Statements may be posturing to get even better trade for 1st pick, who knows

BTW , Andre Johnson is out Thursd

December, 20, 2011

Dec 20

3:58

PM ET

By Paul Kuharsky ESPN

The practical value of trading the top pick in the NFL draft doesn’t add up, Indianapolis Colts vice chairman Bill Polian told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on SiriusXM NFL Radio Tuesday.

“I can’t imagine that there are players that we could afford under the salary cap that would come in and help our team, veteran players that would be available in such a trade. And if you traded it for picks, which you probably would be wise to do, those picks would be very high picks, the highest picks perhaps, in a lot of future years, which means that they wouldn’t be on the team in the short run.

“Somehow or other, that theory, people have asked me about that, but it doesn’t hold water with me. I don’t know what you get out of it. If you’re assuming that you trade one of the top three picks in the draft for a bunch of second- and third-rounders in that same draft, I don’t buy that one at all.”

Sounds like if Polian is in place as the head of the Colts going forward, we can scratch trading the top overall pick off the list of possibilities

. On Peyton Manning’s progress: “He is improving, he can throw the ball with good velocity for about 30 to 35 throws in a limited area, 25 to 30 yards. That’s a lot better, almost 100 percent better, than he was in September before he underwent this surgery.”

Polian said Sunday that Manning could practice some next week and it would be for the quarterback to decide. According to Polian, the work would amount to throwing routes to uncovered receivers or pass-catchers working one-on-one against defenders and that such work is “up to him, not critical.”

Calswell Duscussed Too

as is

On any regrets about what led to a 1-13 season:

On needs going forward:

On expectations for a rookie quarterback:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bcHQx

“I can’t imagine that there are players that we could afford under the salary cap that would come in and help our team, veteran players that would be available in such a trade. And if you traded it for picks, which you probably would be wise to do, those picks would be very high picks, the highest picks perhaps, in a lot of future years, which means that they wouldn’t be on the team in the short run.

“Somehow or other, that theory, people have asked me about that, but it doesn’t hold water with me. I don’t know what you get out of it. If you’re assuming that you trade one of the top three picks in the draft for a bunch of second- and third-rounders in that same draft, I don’t buy that one at all.”

--Bill Polian

Sounds like Polian doesn't agree with those of you saying that we should trade our draft pick for more picks to help the team now. Polian doesn't seem to agree with you that this helps us in the short run. This doesn't really surprise me. Some fans have been clamoring for draft day wheeling and dealing but this has never been the Colts modus operandi under Polian.

If we have the first pick, it's looking more and more like the Colts will be taking Luck regardless of Peyton Manning's situation. The only question at this point is if we will actually secure that first pick.

If people are willing to offer what I've heard the pick is worth (at least 3 firsts and 2 seconds) if Polian isn't interested in that he should have his head examined.

I'm assuming this is just posturing. I hope so at least otherwise it's time to pack him off to the old folks home.

I have a feeling that we will be hearing all sorts of posturing and deception from Bill in the next couple months. I don't think we can take anything he says about the draft, at this point , at face value.

By the way, can anyone think of a time recently that a team has actually traded the 1st overall pick. I know the Chargers did with Elie but that is becasue he didn't want to play for them.

I have a feeling that we will be hearing all sorts of posturing and deception from Bill in the next couple months. I don't think we can take anything he says about the draft, at this point , at face value.

By the way, can anyone think of a time recently that a team has actually traded the 1st overall pick. I know the Chargers did with Elie but that is becasue he didn't want to play for them.

No, not in my lifetime. That's mostly because the cost of paying the number one pick made trading it almost impossible. With the rookie scale, it makes things much easier to trade out of if a team wants to.

If people are willing to offer what I've heard the pick is worth (at least 3 firsts and 2 seconds) if Polian isn't interested in that he should have his head examined.

I'm assuming this is just posturing. I hope so at least otherwise it's time to pack him off to the old folks home.

I would agree, 3 firsts and a few 2nd's or 4 firsts, heck yes, that would make the deal much sweeter and if Polian can't fit in high draft picks on this team, he is terrible at his job.

I would agree, 3 firsts and a few 2nd's or 4 firsts, heck yes, that would make the deal much sweeter and if Polian can't fit in high draft picks on this team, he is terrible at his job.

I mean, I haven't decided if that's available if I think they should take it. But to not even be interested?

Hope it's posturing. It's either that or lunacy.

No, but I remember the Saints giving up their entire draft for the 5th overall pick. Imagine what we could get for #1.

I thought it was just announced last Sunday that Manning WOULD NOT practice this season?!?!?!

He said he wouldn't practice with the team which I never thought made sense for him to practice with the team if he wasn't going to play. The QB playing in the game needs those snaps. With that said I think they do plan to keep having him do workouts and throwing sessions during practice like he has been doing.

No, but I remember the Saints giving up their entire draft for the 5th overall pick. Imagine what we could get for #1.

Shcefter said he expects the value to be three first rounders and two second rounders.

The problem with trading the pick to get more players to help us next year is that we probably aren't going to get all those picks in one draft. For example say Schefter's trade happen in this coming draft we would net one extra pick at best as we would give up our first to get the other team's first and then we would have to have one of those second rounders be in this draft to net us a pick in this draft.

With that said it would give us extra picks for years to come but who knows where those picks are going to be and if the idea is to trade the top pick to get more peaces to help Manning win now having them in future drafts doesn't help that too much.

I think what Polian is saying here trading the pick opens yourself up to a lot of unknowns and for a control freak I doubt he likes that I mean trading the pick might work out, say we trade the pick to say the Dolphins and they keep struggling and those other first rounders end up being at the top fo the draft and we have good drafts the next two years then yeah it might work great but it could also happen that say we deal the picks to like the Vikings and Luck is the missing peace and they go back to the playoffs and maybe a Super Bowl and we end up with another pick at the end of round one and maybe the drafts aren't very deep then it could look really bad.

The Chargers also traded down when Michael Vick came out......the Falcons moved up and took Vick, while the Chargers wound up with L.T. at #5 overall and Drew Brees at #32 overall.

The Chargers also traded down when Michael Vick came out......the Falcons moved up and took Vick, while the Chargers wound up with L.T. at #5 overall and Drew Brees at #32 overall.

Good call! I forgot about that one. Now that was a great trade.

Assuming we have the first pick ( and even if we don't) this will be an intersting off season. And, as I said before, between now and the draft, almost everything out of Polian's mouth, conerning the draft, will be directed towards inflating the value of our pick or misdirecting the other teams.

Shcefter said he expects the value to be three first rounders and two second rounders.

The problem with trading the pick to get more players to help us next year is that we probably aren't going to get all those picks in one draft. For example say Schefter's trade happen in this coming draft we would net one extra pick at best as we would give up our first to get the other team's first and then we would have to have one of those second rounders be in this draft to net us a pick in this draft.

With that said it would give us extra picks for years to come but who knows where those picks are going to be and if the idea is to trade the top pick to get more peaces to help Manning win now having them in future drafts doesn't help that too much.

I think what Polian is saying here trading the pick opens yourself up to a lot of unknowns and for a control freak I doubt he likes that I mean trading the pick might work out, say we trade the pick to say the Dolphins and they keep struggling and those other first rounders end up being at the top fo the draft and we have good drafts the next two years then yeah it might work great but it could also happen that say we deal the picks to like the Vikings and Luck is the missing peace and they go back to the playoffs and maybe a Super Bowl and we end up with another pick at the end of round one and maybe the drafts aren't very deep then it could look really bad.

I have a feeling, and I could be wrong, that this pick will bring less than people think. I say that because not that many teams are looking for a QB and there are a lot of good Quarterbacks in the draft. Let's say we have the first but The Lions have the second then the Vikings. Both those teams might be willing to trade their pick for far less to a team that may be more than happy picking up RG3 or Barkley.

The good news is, since we are in the new CBA and the pick won't be a big financial burden, that is a HUGE plus for us whether determening trade value or if we keep it.

Didn't they say he wouldn't practice? Well, I'd be happy if he does. Slowly get him ready for next year.

Here's the deal.

IF Manning fails the physical after last game, at Jax, then he has access to the Colts facitlities and trainters and coaches under the new CBA as "rehabing" and can work all year. Otherwise, he is limited because it will be called "practice". He will fail the physical, and he will work all year long. No real practice, no game play speculation, no nuttin'.

Just as you posted, "Didn't they say he wouldn't practice....."

Well Ditka isn't in the league anymore and I doubt anyone will give up an entire draft again nor would I want any part of the low end rounds becoming part of a trade.

The likelyhood of a team turning into a SB contender with a rookie QB is almost absurd. At best you get another top 5 pick the following year along with your own 1st rounder and at worst probably an extra middle top 15-20 1st rounder plus your own and aother higher 2nd round pick. Then the following year you still get another 2 1st round picks and those should be able to work into team rebuilding players. I am in favor of making the trade to a team willing to give you their future picks and take a chance at having 1 great player in 6 chances as opposed to hoping 1 great layer comes from gambling on one pick.

I think they meant "taking snaps" in practice. I dont see playing catch with receivers as practicing.

Exactly. He is throwing AFTER practice, and in pads. On December 31 he WILL FAIL his physical, which allows him access to all the facitlities, trainers, and coaches during the entire off season for REHABING, under the rules of CBA.

On March 8 the decision about his contract in terms of $28,000,000.00 will be made. Irsay has deep pockets for Manning, but the cap and what's he gonna get for his money come into play. He paid him $20,000,000.00 at the start of this season, and Manning took NOT ONE SNAP.

So we prolly need to take one more really hard look a Painter vs Jax, right? (not exactly tanking, buuut...#1 pick at stake). Besides, starters need to be rested, right? (after all they have played hard for 15 games).

I'm just sayin'.