Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you want at starting Center next season? (Poll)

TKnight24

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So not in just response to you but I guess the discussion in General.  I'm not a fan of Collins.  I don't see him worth a first round pick.  But Shaq is intriguing to me.  Does anyone think we could "potentially take him there with the goal of him playing safety?  He seems to me more of a S than anything but he would be a project...  And one of the last things I wanna do is spend a first on a project like this but man is it tempting.  

honestly i am really not a big fan of Collins myself. granted he is the only safety who could come in and make some noise but i am more intrigued with Anthony Harris out of Virginia, Prewitt out of Ole Miss and Derron Smith out of Fresno State. I would prefer us to get Shaq though. I think we could get both Shaq and Anthony Harris with our first and second rounders. 

I struggle to reason with your grades on the line.  If you look at it realistically and in context to the rest of the league they are no where near the grades you are giving them. Costanzo even at above average is extremely hard to replace and I see him top 15 LT material.  Mewhort showed amazing promise as a G with hopes of him shifting to RT.  Herremans may be along the average but really that is all you need on a line.  Cherilus I'm willing to give him a year to see if he can return to form.  I agree he needs an upgrade.  Holmes though is way more than adequate to be our center in fact he performed admirably in his short presence.

An oline is more about having cohesiveness as a unit than individual talent.  And honestly this probably one of the most talented olines we've had in Indy in a good while.

I like your optimism. But my friend, our O line is the definition of mediocre or average if you look at the facts. 22nd in the league in rushing yards, 25th in yards per carry. Gave up no more than 29 sacks only because we have one of the most mobile quarterbacks in the NFL, whom everyone knows was running for his life quite a bit of the time. Actually, I agree with your assesments, except for Holmes. And it sounds like we have an average or mediocre O line. Not bad, but not the level of line I would want protecting Andrew Luck. Here's hoping they do better though; I'll try to be optimistic, too.

I like your optimism. But my friend, our O line is the definition of mediocre or average if you look at the facts. 22nd in the league in rushing yards, 25th in yards per carry. Gave up no more than 29 sacks only because we have one of the most mobile quarterbacks in the NFL, whom everyone knows was running for his life quite a bit of the time. Actually, I agree with your assesments, except for Holmes. And it sounds like we have an average or mediocre O line. Not bad, but not the level of line I would want protecting Andrew Luck. Here's hoping they do better though; I'll try to be optimistic, too.

Good post!

But one thing I usually do to use as a measuring stick is to compare to an existing oline that is outstanding. Aside from the Cowboys who have a physically dominating oline the Patriots continually have a great oline and usually invest around the same amount as we do. The only difference is their line isn't asked to do improbable stunts and adjustments and actually work as a unit. So I guess that would be my point. While yes we agree they are around average in talent they can still be an outstanding oline as a unit.

*edit* also I'd like to add that yes I am alluding to our area of issue on the oline is a coaching/scheme issue more than individual talent. Ive rewatched last season and often can't understand some of the responsibilities asked of our Olineman...