Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Newsome

COLTS449

I dont expect a huge season for Newsome only because his opportunities will be cut in half due to Robert Mathis returning at some point and Trent Cole.  Now if Mathis doesn't come back until mid season I would expect 4-6 sacks on the season.  I would also expect 4- 6 even if Mathis plays.  I see Newsome coming in on pass rush situations anyway.  

He didn't get that many opportunities last year. I could see him having about the same number of snaps in 2015. 

He played in 37 percent of all colts defensive snaps. Interesting stat.  Imagine if he played the 62 percent that Walden did  :thinking:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/10808/colts-snap-count-analysis-linebackers

Thing is he's still not good setting the edge or getting off blocks in the run game. And he has little spatial awareness. He's definitely a better pass rusher than Walden, but there are several things that Walden does better than him. 

Either way, I think he can still get close to 40% of the snaps in 2015. If he does well, maybe more.

I hope he will start along side Trent Cole over Walden and Werner until Mathis comes back.

Cole, Mathis and Newsome are all pass rushers.  Walden is built to play the run.  Werner has some ability to do both, and Cole may have some ability to do both -- but is still predominantly a pass-rusher.  Mathis and Newsome (unless Newsome really improves) have shown to be liabilities against the run, but have been very good rushing the passer.  I think on 1st and 2nd downs (unless we have a huge lead and can afford to blitz/ignore the run), we will usually see either Walden or Werner on the field.

I don't see him being a dominant rusher like Freeney & Mathis were in their prime, NOT even close. But of course hope I'm wrong.

A big part of why Freeney/Mathis were dominant in their prime was because we were almost always playing with a lead which allowed them to 'pin their ears back' and do nothing but rush the passer.  Freeney showed he is not a very good overall player (i.e., he was terrible against the run), but he was a terrific pass-rusher.  If Luck continues to put points on the board like he is and we can figure a way to get early leads, Newsome should benefit from being able to focus almost entirely on getting to the QB, which will do nothing to hurt his chances of putting up the numbers that Freeney/Mathis did.  Newsome has over double the sacks after 1 year as Mathis did.  We also can't forget Newsome is in a totally different system.  I think it is too early to make any predictions, but I don't think it is unfair to say he has a shot of being something very special.

How would you argue that with Robert Mathis and Trent Cole on the same team? Newsome has potential through the roof for sure but he's certainly not near as good a pass rusher as Mathis or Cole.

Mathis is hurt and Mathis is 34.  Mathis had a great year the year prior to being hurt, but failed a test and was subsequently suspended for PED use.  We can argue all we want that Mathis used PED's for fertility, but the fact is, his 19.5 sack season still has an asterisk next to it -- we have no idea if he'll be able to play next year, let alone at what level he will be able to play at.  If he was in fact using PED's for performance-enhancement and not fertility, he might be a shadow of his former self coming off the injury he had given his age and more scrutiny to avoid PED use (even if he wasn't using PED's for performance purposes, his age and injury make him a big question mark).  Mathis only had 8 sacks the year before last and he was a full time player --- Newsome had 6.5 sacks as a rookie who didn't see significant playing time the entire season.  The past 3 years Cole has started 15 or 16 games (suggesting he got more playing time than Newsome and his numbers are 3 sacks, 8 sacks, 6.5 sacks -- prior to that he had 3 straight seasons of 10 or more sacks.  I think the argument that his production may be dropping off is pretty valid), and Newsome in far less playing time (as a rookie, so there is very good reason to argue that as his PT improves and he continues to develop in this league, he will improve) put up the same numbers.  There is a very valid argument here.

You implied Newsome was "arguably" the best pass rusher currently and now you're talking about future progression which is irrelevant to your point. Saying Mathis may not be the same pass rusher because of his injury is not an argument that's conjecture. And using sack numbers is just silly (i.e. Walden had the same amount of sacks as Cole and Newsome and Werner had just 2 less).

As I said, I like Newsome's potential but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

He is arguably the best pass rusher we currently have.  If you don't want to take his future progression into account, then we should say Mathis is hurt and unable to play (which he currently is) -- therefore, Newsome is better by default.  Not sure why using sack numbers is silly -- it does nothing to validate your argument that Newsome isn't 'arguably' the best pass rusher on this team -- he was equal to Cole and Walden and ahead of everyone else on our team, which makes it a valid argument to say that he is 'arguably' the best pass rusher on this team (especially given that Walden and Werner - and Cole - all had significantly more playing than Newsome last year).

I dont expect a huge season for Newsome only because his opportunities will be cut in half due to Robert Mathis returning at some point and Trent Cole. Now if Mathis doesn't come back until mid season I would expect 4-6 sacks on the season. I would also expect 4- 6 even if Mathis plays. I see Newsome coming in on pass rush situations anyway.

If Manusky gets creative then I see no reason to take snaps away from Newsome

Run formations like the 1-5-5

Arthur Jones with his hand in the dirt (1)

Freeman/Langford

Walden

Mathis

Cole

Newsome (5)

Adams

Vontae

Butler

Toler

Fa/Draft S (5)

Rush 5, drop 6. That'd be a good package to use on a 3rd and long situation or any obvious passing down

Newsome showed as a rookie he has the tools to be a very good OLB and a great pass rusher... speed, body control, burst, field awareness, instincts, etc.  But what impressed me the most about him was his ability to improve not only week to week but in the game.  I would see a lineman do something to negate and the next time he tried it Newsome had a counter plan and able to execute.  He didn't always succeed... that comes with experience, but to process, change and implement the change that quickly was impressive.  I will not be surprised if Newsome gets 12-15 sacks this season as well as being a top 15 OLB in pressures as well as being solid against the run.

A couple of those sacks were blown assignments by the opposing OL, the only way he wouldn't have gotten the sacks were if he stumbled and fell down. Rick Venturi said the very same thing! Stats don't tell the whole story sometimes.

I don't think he is a standout player or pass rusher like Freeney/Mathis were.

I hope he is or will be of course and he did do well for a rook,especially where he was drafted.

Yeah from what I remember 2 of his sacks he was completely unblocked, but that happens. It doesn't change his skillset, talent and ability. He's going to be great IMO. I think he has the tools and skillset to be a double digit sack OLB for many years.

If Manusky gets creative then I see no reason to take snaps away from Newsome

Run formations like the 1-5-5

Arthur Jones with his hand in the dirt (1)

Freeman/Langford

Walden

Mathis

Cole

Newsome (5)

Adams

Vontae

Butler

Toler

Fa/Draft S (5)

Rush 5, drop 6. That'd be a good package to use on a 3rd and long situation or any obvious passing down

155 sucks 245 is better

Don't want to be a downer (I do), but how many times did Newsome actually beat a tackle last year? I can genuinely only remember once, other times, things just opened up for him.

Being the right player for the right scheme can be a powerful thing.  If he has a knack for finding himself unblocked, I count that as a skill (subterfuge at the line, timing, and knowing how to take advantage).

Don't want to be a downer (I do), but how many times did Newsome actually beat a tackle last year? I can genuinely only remember once, other times, things just opened up for him.

Quite a bit actually (relative to the amount of snaps he took). I actually am watching him right now. Maybe I'll do a post on him.

Here he is putting Trent Williams in a body-bag:

https://vine.co/v/O99zPwEq7PV

Quite a bit actually (relative to the amount of snaps he took). I actually am watching him right now. Maybe I'll do a post on him.

Here he is putting Trent Williams in a body-bag:

https://vine.co/v/O99zPwEq7PV

Ha, the very one I was think of. I was massively impressed with that, but did not see him do anything of the sort at any other stage.

Certainly do a post if you have the time, I'd be interested in an evaluation.