Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary Cap Issues 2012

jwilli69

Looking through salaries and players for next season I have a few questions.

1. Freeney has a last year cap of 19 million. If the Colts don't have Manning, will they cut bait? Can the Colts restructure to a new deal a lot more cap friendly? 3 year deal perhaps? They can't keep that for next season IMO

2. Brackett is at a 5 million cap hit, can't keep that with a replacement playing better that Brackett was before he got hurt. Paycut or be cut?

3. Dallas Clark at 8 million cap hit, has his production warranted that continued pay scale? Do they again ask for a restructure/paycut on his part? Lot of money with his declined production IMO.

4. Addai, while I never seen his deal announced, he appears to have recieved a 3 year deal worth 4.7 million a year, wonder how much of that was guaraneed money vs bonus money? Is Addai playing worth his contract?

5. Bullitt making 3.3 million a year I think will be retained unless they think he will have chronic issues and can;t take the pounding of a SS.

6. Resigning people-Mathis, Saturday,Wayne, Garcon, Lacey, Tamme, Wheeler, Pollak, Gonzo, Anderson and Foster.

7. Garcon is a must to resign (youngest-star potential), Tamme (especially if we drop Clark), Saturday (because they haven't planned well enough or developed what they drafted), Wayne and Mathis would be really a nice thing to keep around but I would almost guess they can't (or at least their agents) get past what they are worth in the twighlight of a career. The rest are all replaceable or could be kept for around vet minimum.

I wished I could see a site that shows the breakdowns of all our players contracts and years left. BAV used to have that but I don't think he has it anymore or least I haven't found it. I think the team dumps a lot of cap space if Manning can't play anymore and the team uses FA to build the team in another fashion. The one thing that really stands out is that cap hit of Dwight Freeney.

1. Freeney has a last year cap of 19 million. If the Colts don't have Manning, will they cut bait? Can the Colts restructure to a new deal a lot more cap friendly? 3 year deal perhaps? They can't keep that for next season IMO

2. Brackett is at a 5 million cap hit, can't keep that with a replacement playing better that Brackett was before he got hurt. Paycut or be cut?

3. Dallas Clark at 8 million cap hit, has his production warranted that continued pay scale? Do they again ask for a restructure/paycut on his part? Lot of money with his declined production IMO.

4. Addai, while I never seen his deal announced, he appears to have recieved a 3 year deal worth 4.7 million a year, wonder how much of that was guaraneed money vs bonus money? Is Addai playing worth his contract?

5. Bullitt making 3.3 million a year I think will be retained unless they think he will have chronic issues and can;t take the pounding of a SS.

6. Resigning people-Mathis, Saturday,Wayne, Garcon, Lacey, Tamme, Wheeler, Pollak, Gonzo, Anderson and Foster.

7. Garcon is a must to resign (youngest-star potential), Tamme (especially if we drop Clark), Saturday (because they haven't planned well enough or developed what they drafted), Wayne and Mathis would be really a nice thing to keep around but I would almost guess they can't (or at least their agents) get past what they are worth in the twighlight of a career. The rest are all replaceable or could be kept for around vet minimum.

I wished I could see a site that shows the breakdowns of all our players contracts and years left. BAV used to have that but I don't think he has it anymore or least I haven't found it. I think the team dumps a lot of cap space if Manning can't play anymore and the team uses FA to build the team in another fashion. The one thing that really stands out is that cap hit of Dwight Freeney.

I agree about most of this...definitely need to restructure Freeney, and either restructure or cut Brackett...i'm worried about Bullitt just because this makes TWO seasons in a row that he's missed with the same shoulder injury.

I agree about Garcon...if we only resign Wayne OR Garcon, i would say that we keep the younger/more potential in Garcon.

I love Dallas Clark, but we see no real drop off in production with Tamme playing in his place, especially with Manning at QB.

The only thing i really disagree about is finding a replacement center...Pollak, while not looking stellar at OG, was the #1 ranked C in his draft class, and has looked good in what little time we have played him there (preseason etc)

I agree about most of this...definitely need to restructure Freeney, and either restructure or cut Brackett...i'm worried about Bullitt just because this makes TWO seasons in a row that he's missed with the same shoulder injury.

I agree about Garcon...if we only resign Wayne OR Garcon, i would say that we keep the younger/more potential in Garcon.

I love Dallas Clark, but we see no real drop off in production with Tamme playing in his place, especially with Manning at QB.

The only thing i really disagree about is finding a replacement center...Pollak, while not looking stellar at OG, was the #1 ranked C in his draft class, and has looked good in what little time we have played him there (preseason etc)

I wonder what Tamme's value will be on the market. Is he a 3 mil/yr and under guy or well above that? As for Pollak, I really wished the team would just put Pollak in at center for the last few games to see what he can or can't do beofre signing him to be the center. I know that was the hope but my god, you can't sign him based on preseason looks and he hasn't overwhelmed at the guard spot so IDK. Again, what will his worth be on the market? Based on his appearance at guard, he wouldn't seem to garner anything above the vet minimum and if thats the case, and Bill has an eye on him as the next future center, a 3 year minimal type contract would be in order. A win win for both. He gets a paycheck and if he is what he was supposed to be, he gets a new big deal in 3 years or less. I really feel like so much hinges on what the team gets with Manning.

I wonder what Tamme's value will be on the market. Is he a 3 mil/yr and under guy or well above that? As for Pollak, I really wished the team would just put Pollak in at center for the last few games to see what he can or can't do beofre signing him to be the center. I know that was the hope but my god, you can't sign him based on preseason looks and he hasn't overwhelmed at the guard spot so IDK. Again, what will his worth be on the market? Based on his appearance at guard, he wouldn't seem to garner anything above the vet minimum and if thats the case, and Bill has an eye on him as the next future center, a 3 year minimal type contract would be in order. A win win for both. He gets a paycheck and if he is what he was supposed to be, he gets a new big deal in 3 years or less. I really feel like so much hinges on what the team gets with Manning.

The main reason we wont start Pollak at center the rest of the season, i would guesss, is that if this IS Saturday's last year, we wouldnt want to cut it short.

as for trading Tamme/Pollak, in the NFL, you dont get great value out of player trades...and i think that Tamme is definitely worth more to us than what we could possibly get in return...if we parted with a TE, i would rather keep Tamme and get rid of Clark...while i really do like Clark, he has been injured and Tamme puts up almost the same #s and is younger and cheaper

Clarke and Brackett could both bring some trade value maybe a second, more like thirds, or a fourth.

Addai to be re-structured as the third down back.

Bullitt back-up only and special team player.

Freeney re-structured or traded..could bring first round pick!

Mathis hopefully a cap friendly deal

Wayne resigned if cheap

Garcon, Saturday should be brought back

The others are minimum salary players at best or gone

Clarke and Brackett could both bring some trade value maybe a second, more like thirds, or a fourth.

Addai to be re-structured as the third down back.

Bullitt back-up only and special team player.

Freeney re-structured or traded..could bring first round pick!

Mathis hopefully a cap friendly deal

Wayne resigned if cheap

Garcon, Saturday should be brought back

The others are minimum salary players at best or gone

Clark might get a 4th but his contract makes it hard to move him. He could restructure.

Brackett would be lucky to get a kicking tee from most teams. Could restructure or be released.

I doubt Addai would be willing to restructure since he just signed a cap friendly deal

Freeney will likely restructure.

I don't see Wayne or Mathis doing anything cap friendly, or super cheap.

Garcon should be resigned and Saturday might be playing his final game as a Colt.

We also have to consider the 10.6 of dead cap space Manning will eat up if he is not on the roster next year.

Clark might get a 4th but his contract makes it hard to move him. He could restructure.

Brackett would be lucky to get a kicking tee from most teams. Could restructure or be released.

I doubt Addai would be willing to restructure since he just signed a cap friendly deal

Freeney will likely restructure.

I don't see Wayne or Mathis doing anything cap friendly, or super cheap.

Garcon should be resigned and Saturday might be playing his final game as a Colt.

We also have to consider the 10.6 of dead cap space Manning will eat up if he is not on the roster next year.

I could see a team giving a fourth or fifth round pick for Brackett, what position would he play on the Colts next year?

Clarke needs to restructure point blank, or he is gone, if I was GM.

Freeney needs to restructure.

It would have been nice to trade and get value for Mathis before the trade deadline...

If Manning is back which I expect, I see Saturday being resigned.

I could see a team giving a fourth or fifth round pick for Brackett, what position would he play on the Colts next year?

Clarke needs to restructure point blank, or he is gone, if I was GM.

Freeney needs to restructure.

It would have been nice to trade and get value for Mathis before the trade deadline...

If Manning is back which I expect, I see Saturday being resigned.

That is part of the reason we won't get much of anything for Brackett. It would be hard for him to crack our starting lineup. He wouldn't even be allowed to bring coffee and doughnuts to a team like the Steelers with their depth at LB.

I can see Saturday returning with Manning, but it's getting much and much harder for Jeff to not be a liability.

That is part of the reason we won't get much of anything for Brackett. It would be hard for him to crack our starting lineup. He wouldn't even be allowed to bring coffee and doughnuts to a team like the Steelers with their depth at LB.

I can see Saturday returning with Manning, but it's getting much and much harder for Jeff to not be a liability.

Can see Eagles, Giants, Titans, Buffalo, Browns, Broncos, and others wanting Brackett as an inside/outside backer...

That's my problem with essentially the entire Colts defense, excluding the DE's, nobody on this defense would start on most NFL teams, which is why I want a talent overhaul!

Can see Eagles, Giants, Titans, Buffalo, Browns, Broncos, and others wanting Brackett as an inside/outside backer...

That's my problem with essentially the entire Colts defense, excluding the DE's, nobody on this defense would start on most NFL teams, which is why I want a talent overhaul!

I could see one of those teams signing him. I don't see one of those teams giving up anything to get him.

When you look at our Starting line up an compare it to Chicago, it would be be tough to say that we would have more than 2 starters that would replace the bears. Our DE's and their DE"s would make for one heck of a DE rotation, or moving Peppers and Freeney inside at times for a unique look. I used Chicago since they run the same scheme.

I believe we need a system overhaul as much as talent overhaul, because we do not have one versed in running the Tampa 2. I believe Coyer would have been better suited running whatever he wanted to as opposed to being force fed the Tampa 2 and not having a vast knowledge of it.

I could see one of those teams signing him. I don't see one of those teams giving up anything to get him.

When you look at our Starting line up an compare it to Chicago, it would be be tough to say that we would have more than 2 starters that would replace the bears. Our DE's and their DE"s would make for one heck of a DE rotation, or moving Peppers and Freeney inside at times for a unique look. I used Chicago since they run the same scheme.

I believe we need a system overhaul as much as talent overhaul, because we do not have one versed in running the Tampa 2. I believe Coyer would have been better suited running whatever he wanted to as opposed to being force fed the Tampa 2 and not having a vast knowledge of it.

Only Freeney and Mathis over Idonije only, thats one spot! I like Chicago's DT's, LB's, and secondary pieces by far.. maybe Powers fighting to be a #2 CB.

Same with Detroit, except I would take Powers as the top corner on a blended team.. I think Delmas is almost equal to Bethea so thats 3 spots, again DE accounts for two of them... Tampa same as Chicago only DE. Cincy again DE, and maybe corner and free safety... It's the same reoccuring trend, outside of our DE's, on most other 4-3 teams, we don't have any position upgrade! It shows a real lack of talent...

Only Freeney and Mathis over Idonije only, thats one spot! I like Chicago's DT's, LB's, and secondary pieces by far.. maybe Powers fighting to be a #2 CB.

Same with Detroit, except I would take Powers as the top corner on a blended team.. I think Delmas is almost equal to Bethea so thats 3 spots, again DE accounts for two of them... Tampa same as Chicago only DE. Cincy again DE, and maybe corner and free safety... It's the same reoccuring trend, outside of our DE's, on most other 4-3 teams, we don't have any position upgrade! It shows a real lack of talent...

Which is extremely sad.

Good thread! Finally, some content instead of the incessant Luck/No luck arguments!

That said, I think that one silver lining in this dreadful year is that the front office will have more leverage to restructure and will probably be resigning FA players for less than they would normally because production is down on offense.

Is all you do complain about our lack of talent?

Wow, I love the guy but I did not realize Freeney's cap hit was going to be 19 mil. Between Peyton at 28 mil, and Dwight at 19, we're tying up 47 million dollars in two people. No way should a pass rusher make that much money. Freeney is not an every down DE. We brought in Anderson and Brayton to take some of his downs so I just can not justify giving him that much.

If he gets restructured, doesn't that basically mean he gets the same amount of money but over a longer period of time?

I don't know what the salary cap is next year, but I figure it's around 140 mil. No way can you tie up 1/3 of that for two people.

Wow, I love the guy but I did not realize Freeney's cap hit was going to be 19 mil. Between Peyton at 28 mil, and Dwight at 19, we're tying up 47 million dollars in two people. No way should a pass rusher make that much money. Freeney is not an every down DE. We brought in Anderson and Brayton to take some of his downs so I just can not justify giving him that much.

If he gets restructured, doesn't that basically mean he gets the same amount of money but over a longer period of time?

I don't know what the salary cap is next year, but I figure it's around 140 mil. No way can you tie up 1/3 of that for two people.

Freeney isn't going to get cut either...Good players cost money. Freeney is by far our best player on defense and is one of two players on defense that other teams fear. The other is a free agent.

The other guys on the list I could listen to arguements for them not coming back but Freeney will be here next year even if it costs 19 mil.

The cap will likely have a slight increase to this year but I don't see it anywhere near 140. Manning's cap hit isn't 28 million that is his option bonus. His cap hit if he plays will be 17 million, if he's cut, it will be 10.6. Freeney will likely have his restructured to be more cap friendly.

Is all you do complain about our lack of talent?

Shows my passion for improving the team, and how I want this team to improve, I am tired of my favorite player ever to play the game, be consistently pulled down by a horrible front office, horrible coaching staff, and a real lack of talent around him..

Diem's gonna be cut, that frees up 3M

Collins is gone, that clears up 4M

Brackett may be gone, and if he leaves, that clears up 5M. I think he stays however.

We'll have around 8M in free space which means we can resign Garcon and Mathis, and Wayne must take a small paycut.

Brackett may be gone, and if he leaves, that clears up 5M. I think he stays however.

We'll have around 8M in free space which means we can resign Garcon and Mathis, and Wayne must take a small paycut.

Brackett would only clear up 200k. I''d have to look into Diem or Collins, but I'm pretty certain we will have some dead space attributed to Collins as well.

Diem wont be cut he's in the last year of his contract we simply not resign him. Even then I wouldn't be shocked to see him or Saturday brought back on a very short term deal if Manning comes back.

Diem wont be cut he's in the last year of his contract we simply not resign him. Even then I wouldn't be shocked to see him or Saturday brought back on a very short term deal if Manning comes back.

Ahhh same thing, you know what I mean. Either way, Diem's future all depends on if we spend a early draft pick (first 4 rounds) on an offensive lineman. If we don't, then I think you're right and they resign him to a short term deal. Saturday is definitely coming back.

Ahhh same thing, you know what I mean. Either way, Diem's future all depends on if we spend a early draft pick (first 4 rounds) on an offensive lineman. If we don't, then I think you're right and they resign him to a short term deal. Saturday is definitely coming back.

I am not so sure. I think they are going to put Pollack out there at something next year rather it be at center or guard but even so that still leaves us one guy short. So they either need to bring Diem or Saturday or get a young guy who can play right away. The later is not a sure bet and I can see a scenario where we take a guard or center later in the draft to be developed while we resign Saturday or Diem to a one or two years deal till the other guy is ready. With that said I think them coming back depends on Peyton Manning. If Manning comes backs it's more likely we bring one of them back if not the Colts may just blow up the team and let all the older vets who are free agents leave. Diem may also depend on what kind offers Saturday gets. If someone pays Saturday enough money to leave or he retires the Colts might become more interested in Diem.

1. Good god I hope they don't "cut bait" with the most feared defender on our roster. If we don't lost 2 DT's to injury, he is having a year that might change your thinking. A restructure is possible, but the man did come all the way back from a serious foot injury and never....ever...takes a play off. There will be a line for his services if we were silly enough to let him go.

2. Brackett is one of the better LB's in the league at dropping into coverage and other than this year, has been pretty consistent. He would gain some interest out there and we do have a history of letting LB's walk. I see them possibly letting him walk if they plan on taking another LB in the top 3 picks next season. I don't see him taking a paycut.

3. I am hoping that Clark will return to form next year, but as much as I love what he has done for this franchise, his production this season (some of it was his fault, some was the the quality of our QB play) does not warrant that kind of payday. I see him as extremely important to either a mending PM or a rookie QB. I see a definate restructure ofhis contract with a small bonus, and a backloaded deal that makes him earn the later years.

4. Addai, while I never seen his deal announced, he appears to have recieved a 3 year deal worth 4.7 million a year, wonder how much of that was guaranteed money vs bonus money? Is Addai playing worth his contract?

4. Addai is still the best total back on this roster...and it isn't close. But his health has been an issue. He is a major team player, tows the company line as it were, and works his butt off to please PM and the team. I met him here in Portland and you could not ask for a more grounded, respectful young man. Built like a rock too. I still say that if he plays a full season next year, he is a bargain, because one of the most important facets of our offense, hinges on the RB knowing the calls, knowing the blocking, and being able to catch passes out of the backfield. When healthy, he is still a bargain with those skills. I say he is worth another years bet.

5. I agree

6. Mathis, Wayne, Garcon, Tamme, and Foster are absolute musts in my opinion.

I dont think that they are in the twilight of their careers. They might be on the down curve, but they still have quality football in them. Their play this season has been affected a great deal by other issues on this team. I'll take players any day that give their all. When have you seen Robert not go hard on a play? How important is Reggie to a healing PM or a rookie QB?