Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck and Ty Montgomery

Watching the pro bowl, it was fun to see Luck with Antonio Brown and T.Y. Hilton. Luck is very good with fast and elusive receivers.

Recently I watched this college game of Luck and what stood out was Stanford's use of Ty Montgomery. It reminded me a little of both T.Y. and Antonio Brown. They used Montgomery in many different ways. I like Montgomery as a mid round selection if available. (Long video but the chemistry between Luck and Montgomery is good. Also, Luck, Fleener and Whalen, as well as Ertz make this a fun watch).

Likely 4th round.

But his real value is returning kicks and punts.

His receiving skills are very raw (he was a RB in HS) and his hands are very questionable.

I know that you watch Stanford closely. I have been impressed with Montgomery (Junior year) and I am not sure how he will transition into the NFL. What are your thoughts? He has the physical tools, but as a route runner? And it appears you're not keen on his hands?

I'm not saying we should draft him, but I find him intriguing. I actually prefer Dorsett as an earlier pick.

Likely 4th round.

But his real value is returning kicks and punts.

His receiving skills are very raw (he was a RB in HS) and his hands are very questionable.

I can see him dropping lower than that.  His 40 time at the combine was bad.

I don't know if he's had a pro day and improved that, but it was pretty slow.

I can see him dropping lower than that.  His 40 time at the combine was bad.

I don't know if he's had a pro day and improved that, but it was pretty slow.

I think he ran a 4.55.     That's not bad,  but it did not meet expectations,  frankly not even close.

I think generally speaking,  he's faster than that.    For some odd reason Tyronne showed up at the combine at 221.   He really should be 210.    He's built like a RB.  

His pro day is March 19.    I'd expect faster there.   But again,  that's relative, because most everyone is faster at their pro day.

I know that you watch Stanford closely. I have been impressed with Montgomery (Junior year) and I am not sure how he will transition into the NFL. What are your thoughts? He has the physical tools, but as a route runner? And it appears you're not keen on his hands?

I'm not saying we should draft him, but I find him intriguing. I actually prefer Dorsett as an earlier pick.

First off....  he's a great kid.    You'll never have to worry about Tyronne.  

But he was a RB in high school, and even after starting for four years at Stanford,  he's just not a very polished receiver.   He's still very raw.    I'm not sure how that is even possible -- but it's true.    Not a great route runner and very shaky hands.   Sometimes he can make a great catch,  but more times than not,  he'll make a terrible drop and you'll be as frustrated as can be.

And for some reason,  Montgomery played at 220 this year...   about 10-15 pounds more than he should as a WR.    He's only 6'0" tall...   but he's built like a RB.   

He's a very good return man.   Very good.    And if you've got a great WR coach,  maybe he can be coached up to be better.   But I wouldn't spend more than a 4 on him.   I don't know why,  but for some reason,  the "light" still hasn't come on for him yet as a WR.

Sad and disappointing but true......