Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What about the OL?

theanarchist

Every day I'm seeing more and more posts about the Colts being linked to Free Agent WR, RB and Defensive linemen. That's great and all cuz we need talent in those areas but the biggest weakness that he had throughout the entire season was the OL. I haven't heard many rumors linking us to FA offensive linemen? Is this because there aren't many this year worth looking at?

Personally I believe that we need a veteran on that line who is a proven player that can be a leader. We need young talent there too but we have Mewhort, Holmes and Thornton who could benefit from some veteran leadership.

My impressions of the AFC championship game may differ from others. It's similar to what we saw in Peyton's tenure. Yes, the defense had its struggles in that game. But, in my opinion it was the failure of the offense to extend drives and get first downs that really killed us. The defense kept the game in a manageable score until later in the 3rd Q. The offense was so ineffective in the 2nd half and put the defense on the field with no rest that caused the ultimate collapse. The offensive line has to get better.

The only two FA O-linemen that have gained my interest are Iupati and Franklin, and they both have threads somewhere on here. IMO, an O-lineman just isn't as flashy as a D-line monster. But like you, I think we need some veterans up front.

Here's something else that has puzzled me. What is the team waiting for with Don Thomas? I'm surprised they have not released him yet since they have already cut loose with several,

I believe in releasing Donald Thomas there may be a lot of 'lawyer stuff' involved.  My guess is they will try to reach an injury settlement with him.  That may take a bit.  All depends on his health at this point.

The only two FA O-linemen that have gained my interest are Iupati and Franklin, and they both have threads somewhere on here. IMO, an O-lineman just isn't as flashy as a D-line monster. But like you, I think we need some veterans up front.

Happy 2k post to me.. :rock:

I believe in releasing Donald Thomas there may be a lot of 'lawyer stuff' involved.  My guess is they will try to reach an injury settlement with him.  That may take a bit.  All depends on his health at this point.

Makes sense I guess. They'd surely like to have the 3-4 mil in cap space that releasing him would provide tho now that FA is 4 days away.

Makes sense I guess. They'd surely like to have the 3-4 mil in cap space that releasing him would provide tho now that FA is 4 days away.

Agreed!!  You need to get all of the I's dotted and T's crossed on all the injury settlement issues.  I would like to have that answer before the 10th. :thmup:

I wouldn't be surprised if we did nothing with the OL at all.  There was word that Grigson isn't ready to give up on our current line.

So our starters for next year might be 

Castanzo - Mewhort - Holmes - Thronton - Cherilus

Honestly I think the only offensive positions they are looking at is RB and a #2 or #3 WR.  

Every day I'm seeing more and more posts about the Colts being linked to Free Agent WR, RB and Defensive linemen. That's great and all cuz we need talent in those areas but the biggest weakness that he had throughout the entire season was the OL. I haven't heard many rumors linking us to FA offensive linemen? Is this because there aren't many this year worth looking at?

Personally I believe that we need a veteran on that line who is a proven player that can be a leader. We need young talent there too but we have Mewhort, Holmes and Thornton who could benefit from some veteran leadership.

My impressions of the AFC championship game may differ from others. It's similar to what we saw in Peyton's tenure. Yes, the defense had its struggles in that game. But, in my opinion it was the failure of the offense to extend drives and get first downs that really killed us. The defense kept the game in a manageable score until later in the 3rd Q. The offense was so ineffective in the 2nd half and put the defense on the field with no rest that caused the ultimate collapse. The offensive line has to get better.

I have fallen into the same trap at times believing that, as long as the defense keeps it respectable, it's a positive.  But that's not championship defense.  In Indy, we have such low standards for our defense.  We have no idea what a championship defense looks like.  Outside of 1995 and a few games in in the 2006 run, I have never seen anything close to one.

As for the O-line, we could use a G certainly, but a full season without Richardson, a somewhat smarter, shorter passing attack and another year of experience might do wonders for this group. 

I have fallen into the same trap at times believing that, as long as the defense keeps it respectable, it's a positive.  But that's not championship defense.  In Indy, we have such low standards for our defense.  We have no idea what a championship defense looks like.  Outside of 1995 and a few games in in the 2006 run, I have never seen anything close to one.

As for the O-line, we could use a G certainly, but a full season without Richardson, a somewhat smarter, shorter passing attack and another year of experience might do wonders for this group. 

I understand what your saying. But I think if you look at the Super Bowl as an example, without your offense being able to sustain drives and run the ball effectively you are going to have a hard time winning in games of that caliber. Both NE and Seattle have stong offensive lines. Seattle had the #1 overall defense but New England had the #13 overall defense. Theres no question we need to shore up the middle of our defense and get a pass rush but we also need stronger offensive line play.

We should be looking for a RG at the very least. 

if not FA, then.....

If somehow La'el Collins (or Ereck Flowers) is still there at #29, we should pick one of them up. Let him play RG this year (since I believe we keep Cherilus) and then move Collins to RT next year when we get rid of Cherilus. 

See the thread right underneath your thread.  Grigs hasn't forgotten, we've got one coming in for a visit now and there will be others.

t_read_dot.pngEx. Eagles OL Todd Herremans visiting Colts today

Ive been saying this for a while, the #1 priority should be upgrading the Oline!!! The cowboys are a perfect example of what a great OLine can do to an ok offense and the Colts are a perfect example of what a bad Oline does to a good Offense.. It holds it back. Although we were a top 5 Oline most of the yr but when it counted our Oline let us down.. In my opinion Wisnewski is the best option at C, and there are several options at RG (Boiling anyone?) im still undecided on our RT situation.. Maybe a RT in the 1st will complete our Oline..

Castanzo Mewhort Wisnewski Boling Lael Collings

With Holmes Thorton and Reights as our primary backups

Grigs is bringing in Herreman RG released by Philly. I think he fits what you were looking for upgrade at RG and veteran leader.

He brought in Heenan from the CFL as well but has stated he isn't ready to give up on the O Line yet so I wouldn't expect anything big in FA hopefully a T in the draft.

I personally would like to see a C position put to rest. It is difficult to build continuity along the line without your signal caller. I have zero confidence in Holmes staying healthy to get to week one let alone for a season. If that Is who we are looking at to man that position I am nervous.

Grigs is bringing in Herreman RG released by Philly. I think he fits what you were looking for upgrade at RG and veteran leader.

He brought in Heenan from the CFL as well but has stated he isn't ready to give up on the O Line yet so I wouldn't expect anything big in FA hopefully a T in the draft.

I personally would like to see a C position put to rest. It is difficult to build continuity along the line without your signal caller. I have zero confidence in Holmes staying healthy to get to week one let alone for a season. If that Is who we are looking at to man that position I am nervous.

Hope you're right about Herreman. As for the CFL guy, I don't get too excited about CFL signings until they get on an NFL field and prove what they can do. Not saying he can't play but not everyone turns out to be a Jerrell Freeman.

The Center position, well, it seems pretty evident that the front office is pretty satisfied with Holmes and Harrison so don't expect much there. Having said that, I think Holmes showed some promise when he played. Lets see if he can stay healthy.

Hope you're right about Herreman. As for the CFL guy, I don't get too excited about CFL signings until they get on an NFL field and prove what they can do. Not saying he can't play but not everyone turns out to be a Jerrell Freeman.

The Center position, well, it seems pretty evident that the front office is pretty satisfied with Holmes and Harrison so don't expect much there. Having said that, I think Holmes showed some promise when he played. Lets see if he can stay healthy.

Totally agree with you about CFL players. That is why I don't understand why some think Carter is a solution at WR.

I realize those who call the shots seem to think we are ok at C AGAIN this year.

If Holmes has shown anything it's an inability to stay off the trainers table. Let's hope Harrison is much improved or Heenan can make the transition. I remember Grig's say he could play C as well.

It is frustrating watching the same problem yr after years.

Totally agree with you about CFL players. That is why I don't understand why some think Carter is a solution at WR.

I realize those who call the shots seem to think we are ok at C AGAIN this year.

If Holmes has shown anything it's an inability to stay off the trainers table. Let's hope Harrison is much improved or Heenan can make the transition. I remember Grig's say he could play C as well.

It is frustrating watching the same problem yr after years.

Ya, props to Grigson for finding Mewhort. I think that pick last year was one that the so called experts may have questioned a little. Thinking that maybe he was drafted a little high if I recall but he had a good year and looks like he can be that LG for many years. And, if Holmes can stay healthy and be that guy that can be counted on then we're just a couple of pieces away. It's going to be an interesting FA and draft season. Lots of holes to fill.

Ya, props to Grigson for finding Mewhort. I think that pick last year was one that the so called experts may have questioned a little. Thinking that maybe he was drafted a little high if I recall but he had a good year and looks like he can be that LG for many years. And, if Holmes can stay healthy and be that guy that can be counted on then we're just a couple of pieces away. It's going to be an interesting FA and draft season. Lots of holes to fill.

And Moncrief falling in our laps imagine our WR's if that kid didn't slip to us.

Grigs did well with what he had to work with last yr tossing in Newsome too

Lot more ammo this year. He hits in the draft spends wisely in FA we should be cooking with gas

Can't wait to see the FA we start talking to your right should be intersting and exciting. I hope we get one big nasty for the D line

I'm not a fan of going crazy in FA but I think Grigs needs to be active this year

And Moncrief falling in our laps imagine our WR's if that kid didn't slip to us.

Grigs did well with what he had to work with last yr tossing in Newsome too

Lot more ammo this year. He hits in the draft spends wisely in FA we should be cooking with gas

Can't wait to see the FA we start talking to your right should be intersting and exciting. I hope we get one big nasty for the D line

I'm not a fan of going crazy in FA but I think Grigs needs to be active this year

Agree, gotta be smart about it or FA can really hurt the cap. I think he's been smart so far with the way he has structured contracts. Some people say he overpaid for some guys but he structured the deals so we could get out of it without taking a big hit on the cap.

Agree, gotta be smart about it or FA can really hurt the cap. I think he's been smart so far with the way he has structured contracts. Some people say he overpaid for some guys but he structured the deals so we could get out of it without taking a big hit on the cap.

Exactly and you over pay in FA it's the nature of the beast Grig's has done a good job IMO

raiders-35.png Raiders | Stefen Wisniewski will not return Fri Mar 6, 05:22 PM

Oakland Raiders impending free-agent C Stefen Wisniewski is not a player the Raiders are interested in re-signing this offseason, according to a source.

Link to story

haha well no wonder the raiders always suck!! They get a QB and then aren't interested in resigning good O linemen. Seriously?

imo the o-line needs upgrades everywhere except left tackle

We're not upgrading left guard where Mewhort just had a solid rookie season.

Whether we need to upgrade center (Holmes) or right guard (Thornton) the jury is still out.   It would help if those two work out.

Right tackle is a big question mark.   Cherilous has one more year at best before his contract makes him a cap casualty candidate.     How healthy he is now is a question none of us knows the answer to....