Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There's only 2 players I want in Round 1

Clemmings OT

A solid OT who could play RG and slide to RT when Cherilus is gone or start immediately at RT if Cherilus is cut! Regardless OT is a major weakness.

Phillips DL

This guy has all the tools to be a fantastic player. He would finally give the Colts that dominant NT we have anxiously waited for. DL is also a major weakness.

When you're picking 29th,  it's not wise to have your heart set on only two players.

Odds that either falls to the Colts are OK,  but not great.

There's a better chance they're both picked than of one being there when we select at 29.

Have a back-up plan if your two guys are gone.....

I'd prefer Eric Kendricks over both of them.

A playmaker on defense who can cover TEs and RBs, the future defensive signal caller with great character and leadership skills.

No contest.

That and the fact that there are too many good veteran Dlinemen in FA for us to pass on all of them. I see us addressing both lines in FA.

When you're picking 29th,  it's not wise to have your heart set on only two players.

Odds that either falls to the Colts are OK,  but not great.

There's a better chance they're both picked than of one being there when we select at 29.

Have a back-up plan if your two guys are gone.....

Well, if that's his thought process, and they're not there, Plan B has to be trade back, doesn't it?

I know it takes two, but .......

Well, if that's his thought process, and they're not there, Plan B has to be trade back, doesn't it?

I like the idea of trading back,  but I guess it depends on how far back and what is being offered?

Also....   just because the top-2 guys you want are gone,  doesn't mean there won't be somebody else we like available.   It's possible.     I was only telling the original poster to broaden his scope because when you're picking at the bottom you have to have lots of options.

I like the idea of trading back,  but I guess it depends on how far back and what is being offered?

Also....   just because the top-2 guys you want are gone,  doesn't mean there won't be somebody else we like available.   It's possible.     I was only telling the original poster to broaden his scope because when you're picking at the bottom you have to have lots of options.

Thats why the team sets up a whole draft board with just about every viable player on it.

I don't know about either of those players.  Particularly the NT position.  We've got three developing players with NT skill-sets: Kerr, Chapman, and Hughes.  Not to mention that Arthur Jones could probably fill that role quite admirably.  If I was going for a DL, I'd be looking at wringing a little more pressure on the QB with the front 3, with a pass-rushing DL (like Michael Bennett or Henry Anderson).  I don't hate the idea of an OT, but with young OL out the ying-yang (Mewhort, Holmes, Harrison, Thornton, Heenan, John), I'd be way more inclined to add a veteran RG and replace Cherilus next year.  Maybe a mid- to late-round OT to bolster depth in preparation for Cherilus' exit next year.  My selection in Round 1 would be Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest.

I don't know about either of those players.  Particularly the NT position.  We've got three developing players with NT skill-sets: Kerr, Chapman, and Hughes.  Not to mention that Arthur Jones could probably fill that role quite admirably.  If I was going for a DL, I'd be looking at wringing a little more pressure on the QB with the front 3, with a pass-rushing DL (like Michael Bennett or Henry Anderson).  I don't hate the idea of an OT, but with young OL out the ying-yang (Mewhort, Holmes, Harrison, Thornton, Heenan, John), I'd be way more inclined to add a veteran RG and replace Cherilus next year.  Maybe a mid- to late-round OT to bolster depth in preparation for Cherilus' exit next year.  My selection in Round 1 would be Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest.

Very good post, especially the observation about the young linemen on the D and O, and how the Colts don't really need more young ones.

I'm not sure if Butler and Gordy are getting enough love from the FO to stay here, so I could see a CB at 29....especially if he was BPA

Clemmings OT

A solid OT who could play RG and slide to RT when Cherilus is gone or start immediately at RT if Cherilus is cut! Regardless OT is a major weakness.

Phillips DL

This guy has all the tools to be a fantastic player. He would finally give the Colts that dominant NT we have anxiously waited for. DL is also a major weakness.

I don't like Phillips at all.  For his size, he needs to show more dominance.  ....i just don't see it with him.  .....I'll take Eddie Goldman.  He plays hard and would give us some badly needed toughness and energy on defense.  ......I'd love Malcom Brown as well. ....don't think he'll slide to us though.

Thats why the team sets up a whole draft board with just about every viable player on it.

I'm well aware of that.

I only responded to the original poster who commented that for his 1st round pick he was only interested in two guys.

I simply explained that wasn't very realistic for team picking at 29.

I'm well aware of that.

I only responded to the original poster who commented that for his 1st round pick he was only interested in two guys.

I simply explained that wasn't very realistic for team picking at 29.

Was expounding upon what you where saying, although I probably should have quoted the OP.

Very good post, especially the observation about the young linemen on the D and O, and how the Colts don't really need more young ones.

I'm not sure if Butler and Gordy are getting enough love from the FO to stay here, so I could see a CB at 29....especially if he was BPA

So it is your understanding Cherilus is a lock to return from his injury.

http://archive.freep.com/article/20110324/SPORTS01/103240418/Lions-OT-Gosder-Cherilus-knee-injuries-cause-concern-

No. I'm saying I'd rather not rely on a low first round draft choice to start at RT. I'd rather sign a vet RT to replace Cherilous, if that's needed, and rely upon 29 to be the third CB, knowing that he'd get a lot of PT in the slot.

But I'd prefer to re-sign Butler, a vet RT, a vet OG, a vet RB, a vet DT, and a vet S to fill the holes with experience and let the player at 29 develop some. (knowing signing all of those vets is unlikely)

He crushed his pro day. His stock rose greatly from that. I can see him going top 15.

He's 6'0" and 230.      Very few linebackers of that size go in the top half of the first round.   I can't think of one.

He's rarely mocked in the first,  and if he is,  it's in the bottom quarter....   otherwise he's mocked in the 2nd.

I live in So. Cal.....   I'm not sure anyone here thinks of him as a first round pick.      Now,  that doesn't mean he's not....

I just think the odds are not good.     He needs to play in the right scheme.     Otherwise.....

By the way,  here's his profile from NFL.com.     It has his combine results.   Nothing there to say he did great.

And he hasn't had his pro day yet.    It's Monday,  March 10th.   I think you're mistaking him for someone else.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eric-kendricks?id=2552312

his thought process is wrong though, we wont trade back.  a top player at at least one positon will fall to us, and that will be our pick

He's 6'0" and 230.      Very few linebackers of that size go in the top half of the first round.   I can't think of one.

He's rarely mocked in the first,  and if he is,  it's in the bottom quarter....   otherwise he's mocked in the 2nd.

I live in So. Cal.....   I'm not sure anyone here thinks of him as a first round pick.      Now,  that doesn't mean he's not....

I just think the odds are not good.     He needs to play in the right scheme.     Otherwise.....

By the way,  here's his profile from NFL.com.     It has his combine results.   Nothing there to say he did great.

And he hasn't had his pro day yet.    It's Monday,  March 10th.   I think you're mistaking him for someone else.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eric-kendricks?id=2552312

I didn't mean to say pro day, I meant the combine. But he will surely go in the first round, and I would definitely take him at 29.. But I see him being gone before that.

his thought process is wrong though, we wont trade back.  a top player at at least one positon will fall to us, and that will be our pick

You mean, you disagree.

There's nothing with his though process, it's just incomplete. Missing the, 'what if they're gone' extension. However, one must/can assume that it'd be a trade down.

I have no opinions on the two players he likes, but I'm certain trading down is a real possibility. Though none of us can say, right now, as the FA pick ups, who's available (FA & Draft) when our pick comes up, will dictate everything.

That, and I'm certain there are better scouts out there than us.

That, and I'm certain there are better scouts out there than us.

so we might as well not discuss the draft at all then?  theses threads are strickly for fun, but i would bet 500 that we dont trade down in the first

so we might as well not discuss the draft at all then?  theses threads are strickly for fun, but i would bet 500 that we dont trade down in the first

I wouldn't make that bet.  

I think it's entirely possible we could trade down.     Perhaps not likely,  but possible.

This is an average draft and we might get the same caliber player at 35 (high 2nd)  than we would at 29.    And gain draft pick(s)

If course this is all for fun. We all got our opinions. Just that the OP isn't wrong, you're not wrong, I'm not wrong. We're not exactly discussing something that's already happened, so....

We're all right, so far.

Interesting.  That article is from 2011.  Prior to last year (when he played injured and then ended up on the IR), he had only missed 5 games in his career.  That would indicate he's been VERY healthy.  But, missed games are only part of the story.  I'd forgotten that he had knee concerns at Detroit, even though he'd never missed significant time.  Hmmm, that's something to think about, and it's a possible reason to elevate the selection of an OT in this next draft (though not necessarily to #1).  I'd still be inclined to keep Cherilus as the RT, but a better back-up may be warranted...