Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Greg Olson's Contract w/Carolina impacts the Colts....

NewColtsFan

The Panthers give their tight end a 3 year deal for $22.5 Mill.    That's $7.5 per year.

Makes signing Fleener and Allen to good deals a little more difficult.     Not impossible,  just more difficult.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476776/article/greg-olsen-carolina-panthers-strike-extension

Fleener or Allen aren't in the same category with Olsen yet. Both have to put up numbers like Olsen has first before making that kind of money.

It doesn't impact us at all. 

Olsen is a much better player than Fleener and Allen. Thus getting paid more money.

Fleener: "I want $8M a year"

Colts: "lol"

These two responses say it all.  Olsen is a better player than Fleener and is more productive and reliable in terms of health than Allen

Fleener: "I want $8M a year"

Colts: "lol"

I didn't say, suggest or even hint that either would ask for same money or more money.

Look at my post again.

All I said was Olsen's deal may make it harder to get our guys signed to a good deal.

There's a difference....

Hey,  maybe I'm wrong.  I've got no problem with that, and it wouldn't be the first time.    In this case,  I surely hope so.

This is just a guess on my part but both will probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 yr 20mil. If either one wants more I'd say sorry Charlie. I like both of them. Both have distinct style with Allen being the more traditional type TE and Fleener being the more modern WR/TE hybrid type. But, I personally don't think that we couldn't find a suitable replacement for one of them. It would be tough to lost both but we could live with letting one go and drafting one but it would be nice if we could keep both.

I didn't say, suggest or even hint that either would ask for same money or more money.

Look at my post again.

All I said was Olsen's deal may make it harder to get our guys signed to a good deal.

There's a difference....

Hey,  maybe I'm wrong.  I've got no problem with that, and it wouldn't be the first time.    In this case,  I surely hope so.

Lets not forget that we have JACK DOYLE! The lunch pail carrying throw back to the traditional TE days. Jack for president! :rock:

Fleener is a $3 million player, I don't see where this has any bearing. Both Fleener and Allen combined will make less than Olsen.

You're new here.    Welcome.

And you've got a great sense of humor.     Seriously.

But no sense of the market place.    Both will make far more than you're predicting.

Washington just signed their back-up tight end to a 3-year deal for $9.9 Mill.  

I would be surprised to see us sign both Allen and fleener. I would expect us to sign whichever plays a bigger role in our offense and draft another TE by that time. Locking up both at around what jimmy graham is getting long term with no where near the production wouldn't make much sense. Also like others said....neither are in olsens category as a player goes.

This is just a guess on my part but both will probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 yr 20mil. If either one wants more I'd say sorry Charlie. I like both of them. Both have distinct style with Allen being the more traditional type TE and Fleener being the more modern WR/TE hybrid type. But, I personally don't think that we couldn't find a suitable replacement for one of them. It would be tough to lost both but we could live with letting one go and drafting one but it would be nice if we could keep both.

if we upgrade the 0-line any tight end will do, they aren't gronk

If you watched the Panthers at all you'd know that Olsen was the #2 option in their offense at times and others he was the #1. Thus, he was paid like it. Fleener and Allen won't get anywhere near that kind of money.

Had olson in fantasy this year so i watched a lot of his games. He is an extremely good, under rated player both as a catching and blocking TE

Fleener is not a complete player, Allen is always hurt. You may be right in that they'll make more than that, I'm just saying the gap from either one of them to Greg Olsen is very significant.

This issue has been one that's been addressed here for some time....   and for whatever it's worth,  the rough guess here is that each will get somewhere between 5-6 mill per on a 4-5 year deal.     So, the consensus here is that the two will make more -- perhaps considerably more -- than Olson's deal alone.

Of course,  people here can be and sometimes are wrong....   but a lot of people here have access to a lot of material/information and crunch a lot of numbers....    we're closer to being right far more than we are wrong... 

if we upgrade the 0-line any tight end will do, they aren't gronk

Stop for a moment and consider this....

Ryan Grigson becomes general manager.     He drafts Andrew Luck.    Who were the next two players he drafted as he starts to build his first franchise?!?       Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen.      Do you really think Grigson really thinks that "any tight end will do"?!?     I mean,  really?     Seriously?

Not.   A.     Chance.

Didn't mean it freaking literally man.

I know you weren't being literal but Olson has had 1 year in his career better than fleeners 2014 season. Fleeners 2014 is better than any Olson year except 2014. I know Fleener has a better QB in Luck but he also receives less targets (30 last year) and is only in year 3.

Is this the woe is me twilight world of Colts fandom?  Fleener is most definitely a TE worth 6-9 million.  Someone will pay him that.  It isn't his fault he has a plethora of options alongside him and an oline that requires him and Allen to be blocking 40-60% of the time.  

Those ragging at Fleener are even worse.  He had butterfingers in HIS FIRST YEAR.  It has been nothing but improvement in both hands and physicality.  Allen has been the one who seems to have regressed.  Both are great and we could have one of the best combos in the league, but lord the way y'all talk about them it seems like they are trash 7th round guys that may stick around for Training Camp...