Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Saints are crazy

Synthetic

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/03/pierre_thomas_release_curtis_l.html

Yesterday was bad enough when they decided to release our best screen catcher, who has put more work into this team than any of our other backs since 2008. 

Lofton was 4th in the league last year in tackles. Totally not a problem.

So we'll get rid of Lofton but our poor secondary can stay? Corey White will still be on the team (we didn't keep Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins but for 5 years) 

Beats me. This team is at a level of insanity. In all their arrogance they will never admit what they did wrong. Jimmy Graham should have never been tagged (overrated), Ingram was not worth the trade we made to draft him, Byrd was a disappointment last year before he got hurt (one fumble vs Atlanta. That is all he did before getting injured 4 weeks later), not getting Brees any weapons was also a problem. 

With Pierre Thomas gone, that means we keep Cadet who has done nothing, we'll keep Robinson (whom I like despite his problems with fumbling) and we'll give Ingram a big contract to rush under 1,000 yards next year and stay injured every other week. 

Keep in mind, Ingram was considered a bust until this year, when he finally had a great year (and we couldn't even win 8 games when he rushes for 900 yards)

Now when I think about this, I remember the backs that Payton got rid of. Jahari Bell, Chris Ivory, and now Pierre Thomas. that's 3 backs that are better than Ingram. The only one I am excluding is Reggie Bush, who is truly overrated outside of two good years in Miami. 

As for Lofton, look at our defense. They're bad. But it's the secondary that is worse. Might as well get rid of Gallette too like they want to. He didn't have but 10 sacks last year, that's not good enough. 

If they truly do trade Gallette, they are insane....Lofton, fine, I don't agree with it, but Gallette is one of our best defensive players. Gallete is our sack leader of last year. Without him, all we have is Cameron Jordan who is a great player, but he works well with help. 

This team has 6-10 written all over them, and in all their arrogance, they will just point the fingers all next year. They'll probably fire Rob Ryan and as usual, Sean Payton go blameless, kinda like how his play calling this year went blameless when we were blowing games in the clutch and losing by 3 points or less. 

I'm angry at this team. i have every right to be. Any Saints fan should be angry after they choked away all those close games last year or when they got blown out by Atlanta's 32nd ranked defense and could not score more than 14 points against that.

I just watched them cut one of the best Saints players ever...now they want to trade Lofton, and arguably Gallette will be gone. We already do poorly every year in the draft with defensive players. I do not remember the last time we drafted a good corner or safety. 

If they go 10-6 I will eat my words, but right now i don't feel it. I feel next year, even with a weak schedule, we'll go 6-10 or 7-9 again with the same story - poor defense that gets all the blame, while Brees under performs, and our offense can't score enough (but magically can run the score up when they want to in a blow out) 

I think the Saints problems all boil down to salary cap mismanagement. Signing Jarius Byrd was a mistake, a mistake that many people on this board were dying for the Colts to make, but a mistake nonetheless. They came into the off-season over the cap by about $20+ million dollars. So far they've signed Tim Hightower, Kenny Phillips and Devin Breaux. I think that most of their signings this off-season will be similar to that as well. I doubt Mark Ingram comes back. Gotta admit though, I do feel for you as a Saints fan. I don't foresee next season being too enjoyable.

I think the Saints problems all boil down to salary cap mismanagement. Signing Jarius Byrd was a mistake, a mistake that many people on this board were dying for the Colts to make, but a mistake nonetheless. They came into the off-season over the cap by about $20+ million dollars. So far they've signed Tim Hightower, Kenny Phillips and Devin Breaux. I think that most of their signings this off-season will be similar to that as well. I doubt Mark Ingram comes back. Gotta admit though, I do feel for you as a Saints fan. I don't foresee next season being too enjoyable.

Thanks for the reply.

I expect Ingram to come back after PT left. Big talk back in December was Ingram was playing for a contract. He was just 40 yards shy of rushing over 1,000.

We have not had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2006 and that was Payton's first year as a coach and Deuce McAllister's last season. I wish we had another Deuce. 

I thought Kenny Phillips retired? And Breaux could be a steal from what I've read. I was hoping we'd get him.

I thought Kenny Phillips retired? And Breaux could be a steal from what I've read. I was hoping we'd get him.

He did. As well as Tim Hightower. But they're both giving it another go. I think Breaux will probably be a nice player for the Saints as well. I just feel like their signings will be low-risk, high-reward due to the cap situation. I think all 3 of those guys fit that mold.

He did. As well as Tim Hightower. But they're both giving it another go. I think Breaux will probably be a nice player for the Saints as well. I just feel like their signings will be low-risk, high-reward due to the cap situation. I think all 3 of those guys fit that mold.

I forgot about Tim Hightower. I'd have to look it up, but I don't think he's played in like 3 or 4 years. It'd be crazy if he even made it on the final 53.

I forgot about Tim Hightower. I'd have to look it up, but I don't think he's played in like 3 or 4 years. It'd be crazy if he even made it on the final 53.

Yeah you're right he hasn't played since 2011 when he tore his ACL as the starting RB for the Redskins. The Saints might have some of the more interesting story lines in the NFL during training camp and the preseason.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/03/pierre_thomas_release_curtis_l.html

Yesterday was bad enough when they decided to release our best screen catcher, who has put more work into this team than any of our other backs since 2008. 

So we'll get rid of Lofton but our poor secondary can stay? Corey White will still be on the team (we didn't keep Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins but for 5 years) 

Beats me. This team is at a level of insanity. In all their arrogance they will never admit what they did wrong. Jimmy Graham should have never been tagged (overrated), Ingram was not worth the trade we made to draft him, Byrd was a disappointment last year before he got hurt (one fumble vs Atlanta. That is all he did before getting injured 4 weeks later), not getting Brees any weapons was also a problem. 

With Pierre Thomas gone, that means we keep Cadet who has done nothing, we'll keep Robinson (whom I like despite his problems with fumbling) and we'll give Ingram a big contract to rush under 1,000 yards next year and stay injured every other week. 

Keep in mind, Ingram was considered a bust until this year, when he finally had a great year (and we couldn't even win 8 games when he rushes for 900 yards)

Now when I think about this, I remember the backs that Payton got rid of. Jahari Bell, Chris Ivory, and now Pierre Thomas. that's 3 backs that are better than Ingram. The only one I am excluding is Reggie Bush, who is truly overrated outside of two good years in Miami. 

As for Lofton, look at our defense. They're bad. But it's the secondary that is worse. Might as well get rid of Gallette too like they want to. He didn't have but 10 sacks last year, that's not good enough. 

If they truly do trade Gallette, they are insane....Lofton, fine, I don't agree with it, but Gallette is one of our best defensive players. Gallete is our sack leader of last year. Without him, all we have is Cameron Jordan who is a great player, but he works well with help. 

This team has 6-10 written all over them, and in all their arrogance, they will just point the fingers all next year. They'll probably fire Rob Ryan and as usual, Sean Payton go blameless, kinda like how his play calling this year went blameless when we were blowing games in the clutch and losing by 3 points or less. 

I'm angry at this team. i have every right to be. Any Saints fan should be angry after they choked away all those close games last year or when they got blown out by Atlanta's 32nd ranked defense and could not score more than 14 points against that.

I just watched them cut one of the best Saints players ever...now they want to trade Lofton, and arguably Gallette will be gone. We already do poorly every year in the draft with defensive players. I do not remember the last time we drafted a good corner or safety. 

If they go 10-6 I will eat my words, but right now i don't feel it. I feel next year, even with a weak schedule, we'll go 6-10 or 7-9 again with the same story - poor defense that gets all the blame, while Brees under performs, and our offense can't score enough (but magically can run the score up when they want to in a blow out) 

Some times you just have to vent it all out.  Hang in there buddy. 

What is your opinion of Akiem Hicks? Underrated player or simply 1 good 13-14 season only to fade into mediocrity?

Hard to say, as I haven't paid much attention to him. He had 2 sacks last year, and he has 6 total in just 3 seasons. 

It's hard for me to say but I'd like to say something positive about him cause I do remember him being good in 2013 when we had that rare season with a top 5 ranked defense. 

I feel for you Bogie. Your teams is going through these problems and I really don't seem to be able to put a finger on exactly why. Your comment made it possible to understand that's for sure. From an outsider looking it seemed the Saints just fell down all of a sudden. All you can do is keep on keeping on as some say. Most teams do go through cycles. Do you think the personal problems of the owner has effected the daily running of the team?

While I do believe you are genuine in your sympathy for Saints fans.....................

I am glad the Saints are on the verge of sucking yet again. Saints fans were pretty classless after they won their ring and I dont feel any pity for them going back to being bag headed losers. Payton will be fired in a year and Brees will be gone in two. After that they'll be cellar dwellers once again with Jimmy Graham begging for a trade.

10-3-saints-fans-3_4.jpg

I feel for you Bogie. Your teams is going through these problems and I really don't seem to be able to put a finger on exactly why. Your comment made it possible to understand that's for sure. From an outsider looking it seemed the Saints just fell down all of a sudden. All you can do is keep on keeping on as some say. Most teams do go through cycles. Do you think the personal problems of the owner has effected the daily running of the team?

With the owner, I do not think so. I don't know much about Benson. Payton and Loomis run the team. Loomis has always made sloppy moves, and Payton I don't think will ever put his ego aside and admit the problems he's made recently. 

i'm just thankful we got a Super Bowl. Most Saints fans I know have never ever gotten over the 2011 playoff loss. They thought we were a lock that year. I'm OK with the one SB win, thankful for it. 

Last year this team lost 4 games that they could have easily won. All 4 were decided by 3 points or less (Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, and SF) They could have easily been at least 8-8 had they won one of those games. Two of them went into overtime where we lost. 

After this past season I doubt Saints fans will ever get over 2011 now that it stings even more. But if you ask me, the 2013 team was better in my eyes cause they had a defense. The 2011 Saints were all stat padding and that's why most Saints fans never get over that year, but of that entire season we only played 4 teams above .500 and their defense was ranked in the bottom 4....2013 I found them better cause they had a defense that year and beat some solid teams. 

I am glad the Saints are on the verge of sucking yet again. Saints fans were pretty classless after they won their ring and I dont feel any pity for them going back to being bag headed losers. Payton will be fired in a year and Brees will be gone in two. After that they'll be cellar dwellers once again with Jimmy Graham begging for a trade.

Every fan base has their trouble makers. It's pretty classless in itself to judge an entire team and their fan base based off that.

I seen Colts fans go to the Saints forum back and forth back in 2009 and make Katrina jokes at us and remind us the entire week before the SB how we didn't deserve to be there, just like Bears fans did in 2006. I don't bring that up on this board and trash you guys, but I am bringing it up now just to show that that kind of assumption of "the fans are classless" can go both ways. Arrogant fans are in every fan base. Take the Pats fans on this board. Do you agree with them on everything? Of course not, but most of them are great people that bring great conversation. I couldn't imagine this forum without them. 

Every fan base has their trouble makers. It's pretty classless in itself to judge an entire team and their fan base based off that.

I seen Colts fans go to the Saints forum back and forth back in 2009 and make Katrina jokes at us and remind us the entire week before the SB how we didn't deserve to be there, just like Bears fans did in 2006. I don't bring that up on this board and trash you guys, but I am bringing it up now just to show that that kind of assumption of "the fans are classless" can go both ways. Arrogant fans are in every fan base. Take the Pats fans on this board. Do you agree with them on everything? Of course not, but most of them are great people that bring great conversation. I couldn't imagine this forum without them.

I know the acts of a few dont define the many and my disdain for the Saints isnt just because of that SB. This may sound shallow but I lost a lot of money in my fantasy league this year because Brees and Graham failed me. They failed me miserably. Im a big time Brees guy....now. Ive grown over the past 3 seasons. Ive had on Manning colored glasses on for as long as I can remember but since he's been in Denver, Ive allowed myslef to openly aknowledge my respect for other QB's. With that being said, the Saints sucking just seems like the norm. Like I said, Payton stands a great chance of getting the axe and Brees is almost at the end of his rope. Where do the Saints go from there?

I know the acts of a few dont define the many and my disdain for the Saints isnt just because of that SB. This may sound shallow but I lost a lot of money in my fantasy league this year because Brees and Graham failed me. They failed me miserably. Im a big time Brees guy....now. Ive grown over the past 3 seasons. Ive had on Manning colored glasses on for as long as I can remember but since he's been in Denver, Ive allowed myslef to openly aknowledge my respect for other QB's. With that being said, the Saints sucking just seems like the norm. Like I said, Payton stands a great chance of getting the axe and Brees is almost at the end of his rope. Where do the Saints go from there?

Well, I don't play fantasy football, and I quit gambling years ago; hard habit to kick though, I will give you my sympathy there. 

I actually am hoping Payton is gone eventually. His poor play calling made us lose many close games last year. Brees' time is going too. But who's the replacement right now? Will have to stick it out for now, but I am hoping we can draft a rookie in the next year or so and begin rebuilding though I doubt we'll ever get lucky and land someone as talented as Luck. 

So you are basing your distain for the Saints over some fantasy football game? I don't mean to be rude but that is taking it to extreme. When you put money up it is a gamble and odds are your going to lose.  Fantasy football is exactly that, fantasy. It has zero to do with real NFL football. I have been playing fantasy football for over 20 years and have never taken it all that serious. It's a good way to keep up with everything going on in the NFL. I am no expert at much of anything except classic rock music but maybe you need to find something a little more concrete besides fantasy football. Nothing personal, just an observation.

Back away from the button, Bogie.

We already talked about this. The Saints will be fine. Brees is great, Payton is above average, and while they have some work to do, it's only March.

Back away from the button. Wait until after free agency, at least, before you decide to nuke the entire complex.

We already talked about this. The Saints will be fine. Brees is great, Payton is above average, and while they have some work to do, it's only March.

Back away from the button. Wait until after free agency, at least, before you decide to nuke the entire complex.

Yeah. Every fan base feels this way in  March as teams release players to make cap room and restructure contracts. It is a trying time for all of us but as you say, teams then add pieces through FA and the draft and outlooks change. Just have to be patient which is hard for all of us in this "now" type of world we live in.

I am not sure I agree that the Saints will be fine. I do think there was some noticeable decline in Brees last year. It is amazing how much people focused on Manning and his game and no one said anything about Brees. But he had issues pushing the ball down the field as much as Manning. They need some serious work on defense too. Their only real benefit is playing in the South although I expect Carolina to be better as well as Atlanta and with TB adding Winston they will make some noise too.

While I do believe you are genuine in your sympathy for Saints fans.....................

10-3-saints-fans-3_4.jpg

This post is pretty classless. There are classless people in every fanbase.

Actually Luck_is_Skilled is right. The Saints fans were beyond pompous when they won the SB. Plus the whole Payton running up the score to 62-7 thing in 2011 while eating hotdogs from the box.....not a whole lot of class there either. 

nuke the complex from orbit....it's the only way to be sure

Signing Ingram would be a massive mistake, sorta like the Colts giving up a #1 for Richardson. Ingram is EASILY replaceable by a 4th round pick, and this is a deep draft for RB's. The Saints would be better off using the money that would be spent on Ingram to get a DB or LB.

Consider this on a message board there are many differing opinions none any better or more important than any others while I agree there are classless people in every fanbase I hesitate to point my finger at what I consider classless .

Yeah. Every fan base feels this way in  March as teams release players to make cap room and restructure contracts. It is a trying time for all of us but as you say, teams then add pieces through FA and the draft and outlooks change. Just have to be patient which is hard for all of us in this "now" type of world we live in.

I am not sure I agree that the Saints will be fine. I do think there was some noticeable decline in Brees last year. It is amazing how much people focused on Manning and his game and no one said anything about Brees. But he had issues pushing the ball down the field as much as Manning. They need some serious work on defense too. Their only real benefit is playing in the South although I expect Carolina to be better as well as Atlanta and with TB adding Winston they will make some noise too.

Yeah, agree to the main point. 

Don't agree on Brees (or Manning). He was still effective, productive, and the third most efficient QB in the league on throws more than 20 yards downfield (Manning was 9th). Nobody said anything about him because he completed 69% of his throws for almost 5,000 yards. He still absolutely destroys the middle of the field, which is where good QBs eat. If he's declining at 34, that's not really a problem. He's still super productive.

Yeah, agree to the main point. 

Don't agree on Brees (or Manning). He was still effective, productive, and the third most efficient QB in the league on throws more than 20 yards downfield (Manning was 9th). Nobody said anything about him because he completed 69% of his throws for almost 5,000 yards. He still absolutely destroys the middle of the field, which is where good QBs eat. If he's declining at 34, that's not really a problem. He's still super productive.

You can quote stats but the eye test says he is declining. I am not saying he is washed up but something worth watching for next season.

You can quote stats but the eye test says he is declining. I am not saying he is washed up but something worth watching for next season.

Depends on the eyes.

And if you had said he's declining, I might have disagreed about it's relevance, but probably wouldn't have said anything about it. It's that you singled out his ability to throw downfield, and that just doesn't hold up. He was actually better down the field in 2014 than he was in 2013.

And ironically, whenever anyone brings up the fact that a certain northeastern QB in his mid- to late-30s isn't productive or efficient downfield, it's summarily dismissed by you as irrelevant. Now, all of a sudden, it's an indicator of decline.

Actually Luck_is_Skilled is right. The Saints fans were beyond pompous when they won the SB. Plus the whole Payton running up the score to 62-7 thing in 2011 while eating hotdogs from the box.....not a whole lot of class there either.

There is no love lost between Saints fans and Vikings fans. Remember, the Saints beat the Vikings to go to the Super Bowl. They boasted about their win against us too. So, I get it, but that poster was calling people classless when the post could not be more insensitive (and yes, classless) at that time. It is like Pats fans posting about Manning's demise on this board after the playoff game this year.

Anyway, I do believe the Saints will not be a winning team this year and maybe for a few years.

Depends on the eyes.

And if you had said he's declining, I might have disagreed about it's relevance, but probably wouldn't have said anything about it. It's that you singled out his ability to throw downfield, and that just doesn't hold up. He was actually better down the field in 2014 than he was in 2013.

And ironically, whenever anyone brings up the fact that a certain northeastern QB in his mid- to late-30s isn't productive or efficient downfield, it's summarily dismissed by you as irrelevant. Now, all of a sudden, it's an indicator of decline.

I see decline. But like I said just something to watch. Same as Manning although Manning seemed more severe but that could have had to do with the injury also so we'll see.

Brady has never had a great deep ball in terms of accuracy outside of the Moss years. He can get there but just not as accurate. He shows some decline too. It is inevitable once you hit mid to late 30's almost 40 for all Qbs.

You guys have absolutely no room to talk when Colts fans flooded Saints message boards in early 2010 to give us Katrina jokes and remind us all how we were the Katrina team. (which these comments are truly classless and offensive to those of us that did lose our homes and possessions and even loved ones and pets during a natural disaster - not funny; I myself do not like constantly being reminded about it as that was one of the roughest things I ever went through in my life) 

Criticizing a fan base can go both ways. I could easily judge Colts fans from all the trolling that was done on our board back then but I don't, cause I don't care. Individuals are individuals with their own beliefs and personality. Loyalty to a hobby of cheering for a sports team does not define us all, and it shouldn't. People are individuals, regardless of group mentality and judging an entire group. 

Brees is on a decline. it's true. 

You cannot judge a team based off stats. You can make many cases for this. 

Last year, Brees may have had beautiful numbers and all that, but go back to our clutch games.

The only close games we won were vs Tampa Bay where he threw 3 INT's each and we needed miraculous comebacks in those games, including both times our defense got a safety. 

I don't think Brees was the entire problem last year, I agree with Superman too, he still is productive but there is a decline I believe.

But at the same time, I wonder if we'd even be having this discussion if the Saints had not choked away those 4 close games last year. 

Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, and San Francisco. 

They could have easily won 1 of those games and been 8-8, and even there, Brees was not the sole person to blame in those loses, there was many factors. I don't even blame him for the pick vs the Browns (Graham clearly could have caught that ball and didn't) and against S.F., we nearly won had it not been for the hail mary that was called back from a flag (which I won't argue against).

I am not going to compare Brees to Brady or Manning because I don't think that's fair when studying a team. 

Last year, the Saints defense got most of the blame and I don't know if they truly deserved it. Yes they were terrible, but in times they really stepped up. They picked off Big Ben 3 times (and almost 5 in that same game) and they were a big help in coming back and beating Tampa Bay. 

Our offense struggled a lot last year. Long drives that consumed over 5-7 minutes on the clock only to get down there and score nothing. Frustrating.