Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will NOT Tender AQ Shipley

TKnight24

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He can get original round tendered for $1.5M. A perfectly fine # a guy with starters experience who plays well in your scheme. Doesn't make any sense why he wouldn't be tendered, but I think it was widely accepted it wasn't going to happen. 

Don't get it either. Shipley may not be the greatest C to ever play, but he was the best center on the Colts every time he was on the Colts

He played better than Harrison for sure. I think that Holmes was playing pretty well over the last couple of games. He needs to stay healthy.

Ya, they did and I don't get that either. :scratch:

Harrison even had trouble with the snap count and getting the shotgun snap off the ground. :dunno:

Eh that was only 1-2 times, Harrison has the bigger upside compared to Shipley, He is bigger and stronger, He can pancake NT's off the ball consistently, Shipley rarely could,

Eh that was only 1-2 times, Harrison has the bigger upside compared to Shipley, He is bigger and stronger, He can pancake NT's off the ball consistently, Shipley rarely could,

I saw the snaps hit the ground more than once or twice. He also got the snap count screwed up a few times. He may have the bigger upside and backside but he didn't play better than Shipley last year.

Harrison even had trouble with the snap count and getting the shotgun snap off the ground. :dunno:[/

quote]

Can't say I completely understand what went on at center last season either but it's clear Shipley wasn't in the plan moving forward. I'm fine with moving forward with Holmes but would like to see a better back up than Harrison to support him.

You mean things an inexperience player will do? I don't know for sure what was going on but lets wait and see.

No, the Centers job is to snap the ball on time and get it to the QB. I don't think that too much to ask even for a player who may not be experienced at the pro level. Was this his first season as a Center?

I saw the snaps hit the ground more than once or twice. He also got the snap count screwed up a few times. He may have the bigger upside and backside but he didn't play better than Shipley last year.

No he didn't but you play the player with the higher upside who has some technical issues to work out over the smaller weaker player who has made his own bad line calls

Harrison even had trouble with the snap count and getting the shotgun snap off the ground. :dunno:[/

quote]

Can't say I completely understand what went on at center last season either but it's clear Shipley wasn't in the plan moving forward. I'm fine with moving forward with Holmes but would like to see a better back up than Harrison to support him.

I get it, I'll stop complaining and move on.

No, he was a lot better. Harrison couldn't even snap the ball correctly.  

I don't believe it was many times he made a bad snap, two that I recall off the top of my head, Could be a couple more that don't stick out. At the same time Shipley was just a guy, solid pass blocker no question but he missed some line calls and was not very good as a run blocker

Don't get it either. Shipley may not be the greatest C to ever play, but he was the best center on the Colts every time he was on the Colts

This. . . Shipley has been behind lesser players his whole time in Indy.  

He was better then Satele, but was his backup and we traded him away for peanuts.  When he came back he was the best center on the team but yet we watched Harrison and Holmes play in front of him for their vaunted "upside".  

Now they won't even invest an original round tender on him.  Don't know why this staff is so biased against him.  

I don't believe it was many times he made a bad snap, two that I recall off the top of my head, Could be a couple more that don't stick out. At the same time Shipley was just a guy, solid pass blocker no question but he missed some line calls and was not very good as a run blocker

I'd rather have a guy right now then Harrison.  I don't know why this staff can't figure out the center situation. . . they seem constantly resolved to always start the worst center on the team.  2012 - Shipley is better then Satele. . . yet Satele starts.  2013 . . . McGlynn and the whole line does better at center then Satele. . . yet Satele starts.  2014. . .  We start the year with solid C play from Shipley then I guess they decided that Shipley was too consistent and needed to get someone inconsistent in there. . . So Harrison starts half the year takes that long just to learn to snap the football right and then all of a sudden we switch to Holmes.

Shoot at this pace I predict that I will be the starting center of the Indianapolis Colts by week 5.  My ability to get knocked on my butt while a nose tackle runs across my body towards Luck will certain fit in well and be in keeping with what this staff apparently wants out of their center.  I suppose they will later bench me for my 18 month old son and later probably decide to bench him for my 3 month old daughter.

Man the relationship with Shipley and the Colts is just rocky. I really would  love to know the real root of the problem.

i think it's just as simple as the Colts view Shipley as a journeyman player who is as good as he can be and view Harrison and Holmes as young with more potentual to be better.

Man the relationship with Shipley and the Colts is just rocky. I really would  love to know the real root of the problem.

Methinks you are looking too hard.  The root is he is not good enough.  Sorry - it is really that simple.

No, the Centers job is to snap the ball on time and get it to the QB. I don't think that too much to ask even for a player who may not be experienced at the pro level. Was this his first season as a Center?

A centers job is just a lot more than snapping the ball....not making excuses for his mistakes but there is a lot of responsibility at that position

I will never understand the love for Shipley.  Did not understand two years and it is lost on me again.  He seems a really good guy but on the field he is nothing special.  As it relates to this move today - why would the Colts do it.  The odds are strong he will be available in camp should the team need to make a move due to injury.  So why count him against your roster now? 

Like I said on ESPN, based on measurable performance in my opinion Shipley was our third best O-Lineman last year.  Not just his performance, but his key ability "availability."  Obviously he didn't do something wrong or he'd have been fined or suspended.  This was flat out prejudice against him based on something unlikely to ever be exposed.  Shipley won't talk or he'll never get a chance elsewhere and Pagano disgracefully refused to ever comment on why they pulled him.   At worst, he was a very solid backup who could play 3 positions (RG, LG, C) and special teams.  And he could start and outperform the other two starters at C.  For that he gets benched and released.  Brilliant move Grigson/Pagano.  Good to see you're fixing our problems so capably by letting him walk.  

I will never understand the love for Shipley. Did not understand two years and it is lost on me again. He seems a really good guy but on the field he is nothing special. As it relates to this move today - why would the Colts do it. The odds are strong he will be available in camp should the team need to make a move due to injury. So why count him against your roster now?

this board is in love with him for some reason he's supposed to be the savior of the line it's just ridiculous cause he's not that good