Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephone Anthony -- I don't get it.

Is it because he runs fast? 

He consistently gets washed out of the play by blockers when they get their hands on him, takes bad angles to the ball, whiffs on tackles and may have the worst instincts (or maybe just over-aggressiveness?) of any LB I've watched in this class. 

Aside from the first couple of plays, the Georgia game may have been the worst tape I've watched for any player so far. 

Yea... not a big fan. He needs coaching. And even then I don't see his reaction time getting any better. My "guess" would be either he isn't a big film guy or he just doesn't have instincts. Whatever it is it rarely clicks for him.

Kendrick or Perryman. I really love Perryman. I messed up this draft lol I got attached to a player... seeing up myself for disappointment lol.

Yea... not a big fan. He needs coaching. And even then I don't see his reaction time getting any better. My "guess" would be either he isn't a big film guy or he just doesn't have instincts. Whatever it is it rarely clicks for him.

Kendrick or Perryman. I really love Perryman. I messed up this draft lol I got attached to a player... seeing up myself for disappointment lol.

He seems really reactive. It's like, he doesn't have good instincts, but he recognizes what other players are doing and uses his athleticism to put himself in position, which makes it look like he actually does have good instincts, but in reality he's late but makes up for it with speed. I don't see that transitioning to the NFL. 

He seems really reactive. It's like, he doesn't have good instincts, but he recognizes what other players are doing and uses his athleticism to put himself in position, which makes it look like he actually does have good instincts, but in reality he's late but makes up for it with speed. I don't see that transitioning to the NFL.

Interesting... my point on reaction time is that he reacts to players movement rather than play recognition. I guess I could've worded that so much better lol...

I don't understand everyones obsession with him either. I've watched a lot of Clemson games and never really saw him make an impact. This year he did well (?) but that is due more to the great defense he was playing with.

I am a Carolina fan though haha

Edited by 21isSuperman

He's got the highest ceiling of any ILB in this draft. He probably wasn't a big film guy in college so he isn't big on recognizing a play before/as it happens. That's coachable though. Instincts are something some people just have, but if he watches enough film he'll get better at play recognition, which should make him more instinctive to react ahead of time.

Yeah he's raw but his potential is very good. Plus it's not like he's just some overhyped fan favorite. A lot of analysts are high on him too, and there is a reason. They watch the same film we do so they know their stuff.  The FSU tape is perfect because you see all his strengths, but all of the weaknesses to his game.

I can't highlight a bunch of plays because I'm at work, but this one kind of shows it all: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=256598&gif=RewardingFlimsyAmericancrocodile

Awareness, recognition, makes a blocker miss, closes, finishes. When I watched him, I saw a ton of that.

I also saw him him drop into coverage, mostly zone, show range to the sideline, find the ball and arrive with authority, dodge blockers to get into the backfield and drop ball carriers, etc. He doesn't stack and disengage from blocks, but just like Paul Dawson, I'm okay with that because he's hard to block in the first place. Unlike Paul Dawson, he has a frame that makes me think he can adjust to a power style if/when necessary.

I wish I had watched more of him before the Combine. I could be influenced by how well he tested. But I definitely don't have a hard time seeing his playmaking ability and overall athleticism when he plays. If he needs to be reeled in because he's a little over aggressive, that's okay with me. He's a doggone linebacker. I want him running around the field with his hair on fire, trying to hit everything that moves, making the offense feel his presence. Compared with Bud Dupree or Benardrick McKinney, guys that you sometimes forget are even out there. I'd rather have to bring a guy down a notch, then try to get him to raise his level of intensity.

I can't highlight a bunch of plays because I'm at work, but this one kind of shows it all: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=256598&gif=RewardingFlimsyAmericancrocodile

Awareness, recognition, makes a blocker miss, closes, finishes. When I watched him, I saw a ton of that.

I also saw him him drop into coverage, mostly zone, show range to the sideline, find the ball and arrive with authority, dodge blockers to get into the backfield and drop ball carriers, etc. He doesn't stack and disengage from blocks, but just like Paul Dawson, I'm okay with that because he's hard to block in the first place. Unlike Paul Dawson, he has a frame that makes me think he can adjust to a power style if/when necessary.

I wish I had watched more of him before the Combine. I could be influenced by how well he tested. But I definitely don't have a hard time seeing his playmaking ability and overall athleticism when he plays. If he needs to be reeled in because he's a little over aggressive, that's okay with me. He's a doggone linebacker. I want him running around the field with his hair on fire, trying to hit everything that moves, making the offense feel his presence. Compared with Bud Dupree or Benardrick McKinney, guys that you sometimes forget are even out there. I'd rather have to bring a guy down a notch, then try to get him to raise his level of intensity.

Well Said!