Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills Trade For QB Matt Cassell

HtownColt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got their vet game manager QB.  Rex is trying to re-create the 85 Bears formula.  Beastly, Nasty Defense, top notch ground game, game manager QB that will protect the ball and won't lose you the game.  I'm just not sure the 85 Bears re-creation scenario is a Super Bowl winning formula these days.  We'll see.

They got their vet game manager QB.  Rex is trying to re-create the 85 Bears formula.  Beastly, Nasty Defense, top notch ground game, game manager QB that will protect the ball and won't lose you the game.  I'm just not sure the 85 Bears re-creation scenario is a Super Bowl winning formula these days.  We'll see.

It can work but the problem is that the defense has to be one of the best defenses of all time, not just a good or even very good defense.  

Honestly I'd be trying to get Ryan Mallet because he has some potential.  

Matt Cassel is due $4.75m in 2015, including a $500K roster bonus on March 17. That's more than I thought. The Bills have taken on over $15m in salary with these two deals.

:: raises eyebrow ::

Or....

Another way to look at it is their starting quarterback is basically making $5 MIll a year.

That allows them to do all sorts of things.

Was their another quarterback that would have been as good and cost them less?

lol. Rex just keeps the hits coming. Cassell is not worth $5 mil. Surprised he didn't go after Hoyer ...

Oh....    right.     He was only worth that kind of money when he was winning 11 games for New England.

A starting QB for $5 Mil?    And you have a problem with it.....

This extended cold snap you're suffering through has taken a toll on you....

Or....

Another way to look at it is their starting quarterback is basically making $5 MIll a year.

That allows them to do all sorts of things.

Was their another quarterback that would have been as good and cost them less?

Matt Schaub, maybe. He's who I thought the article was about at first. Probably a toss-up.

But yeah, if Cassel wins the starting job, then it's more palatable. And he might, but he's not proven to be anything special over the course of several seasons. Greg Roman got good production out of Alex Smith, so who knows.

Oh....    right.     He was only worth that kind of money when he was winning 11 games for New England.

A starting QB for $5 Mil?    And you have a problem with it.....

This extended cold snap you're suffering through has taken a toll on you....

He never made anything close to $5 mil when he was with the Pats. He was a 7th round pick that they turned into a #2 and shipped to KC where he bombed after his first season there and has been fledging every since heading to Minnesota. He is not even close to a $5 mil dollar player which is why Bridgewater took his job last year.

Matt Schaub, maybe. He's who I thought the article was about at first. Probably a toss-up.

But yeah, if Cassel wins the starting job, then it's more palatable. And he might, but he's not proven to be anything special over the course of several seasons. Greg Roman got good production out of Alex Smith, so who knows.

I had same thought

He never made anything close to $5 mil when he was with the Pats. He was a 7th round pick that they turned into a #2 and shipped to KC where he bombed after his first season there and has been fledging every since heading to Minnesota. He is not even close to a $5 mil dollar player which is why Bridgewater took his job last year.

He's a quarterback and may be the front runner to start for Buffalo.    And even if he doesn't $5 Mill is chump change for a QB.

I don't think you know the market place.

It can work but the problem is that the defense has to be one of the best defenses of all time, not just a good or even very good defense.  

Honestly I'd be trying to get Ryan Mallet because he has some potential.  

I don't think the Texans are in a hurry to trade Mallett, He's cheap and they want to see more of him, I think it would have cost them a much higher draft pick t get Mallett.

He's a quarterback and may be the front runner to start for Buffalo.    And even if he doesn't $5 Mill is chump change for a QB.

I don't think you know the market place.

I never said $5 mil is not a good value for a starting QB. I said it is not a good value for Cassell. I know the market place plenty which is why Rex is over paying for the most critical position. He has no one. And is also going to pay a boat load to McCoy at a time when the RB position has been devalued in the NFL and with a draft class stocked with plenty of RBs. Same old Rex. Only knows one way.

Matt Cassell might not cost you any games. Unfortunately, he's not going to win you any games either.

I don't think that Rex is looking for 'that' guy. (win you games QB).  He's looking for the D to do that.  It was joked the Buddy Ryan's D on the 85 Bears would have the made the Bears go 8 - 8 if the Bears punted on every first down.  I am sure Rex is trying to re-create that scenario in Buffalo, so no need for an 18 million dollar a year gunslinger to snatch a victory or two from the jaws of defeat.

I never said $5 mil is not a good value for a starting QB. I said it is not a good value for Cassell. I know the market place plenty which is why Rex is over paying for the most critical position. He has no one. And is also going to pay a boat load to McCoy at a time when the RB position has been devalued in the NFL and with a draft class stocked with plenty of RBs. Same old Rex. Only knows one way.

And of course you said Cassell isn't worth it....    once he's no longer a Patriot,  then you're done with them.

Build them up when they're on your team,   tear them down when they're not.       How predictable.

And of course you said Cassell isn't worth it....    once he's no longer a Patriot,  then you're done with them.

Build them up when they're on your team,   tear them down when they're not.       How predictable.

Do you even watch football? Have you seen Cassell the last several years??

Ryan Mallett is a free agent.

Good catch ... I have done this several times this season, for some reason my mind is like a year behind.  Its frustrating kind of like one of those weeks where you always think its a day later or day earlier all week until the weekend resets you (maybe thats just me too ..lol)  :)

I'm pretty sure Cassel got hurt this last year and that's why Bridgewater took his job. They spent a first round pick on Bridgewater (who I believe is the best rookie quarterback last year) and once you play him due to Cassel's injury, you don't want to destroy his confidence by benching him. I think that Cassel will be fine if he's protected by a good scheme, a good running game and a good defense like he will be in Buffalo.

Good catch ... I have done this several times this season, for some reason my mind is like a year behind.  Its frustrating kind of like one of those weeks where you always think its a day later or day earlier all week until the weekend resets you (maybe thats just me too ..lol)  :)

Mallett is one of the more under the radar story lines this offseason.  I'm actually surprised I havn't heard much about him.

He's pretty much an unknown, stuck behind Tom Brady for years, he's had very little time to actually learn the game because there is only so much you can learn on the bench.  But everyone knows he certainly has the arm to to be successful.  (The other aspects we don't know about.)

But I'll say one team with a need at QB could change their fortune dramatically by picking him up in free agency.  Not sure why he isn't being talked about more.  

Mallett is one of the more under the radar story lines this offseason.  I'm actually surprised I havn't heard much about him.

He's pretty much an unknown, stuck behind Tom Brady for years, he's had very little time to actually learn the game because there is only so much you can learn on the bench.  But everyone knows he certainly has the arm to to be successful.  (The other aspects we don't know about.)

But I'll say one team with a need at QB could change their fortune dramatically by picking him up in free agency.  Not sure why he isn't being talked about more.  

I agree, I think maybe I overlooked him because I he's not at a position the Colts need .... but you would think that there would be more interest (or rumors) from some of the QB needy teams interested in seeing they can develop him.  Honestly, If I am a lot of these QB needy teams i would rather take a shot at developing him or one of the other young back ups rather than Mariota (not a fan).

I'm pretty sure Cassel got hurt this last year and that's why Bridgewater took his job. They spent a first round pick on Bridgewater (who I believe is the best rookie quarterback last year) and once you play him due to Cassel's injury, you don't want to destroy his confidence by benching him. I think that Cassel will be fine if he's protected by a good scheme, a good running game and a good defense like he will be in Buffalo.

He is serviceable. But a down grade from Orton last year ... and Cassell had AP in 2013 and that did not seem to help him much.

He is serviceable. But a down grade from Orton last year ... and Cassell had AP in 2013 and that did not seem to help him much.

I think in an ideal world, Cassel starts this year while they try to find out how to best address the EJ Manuel. If Roman likes Manuel then he should be the starting quarterback next year after he sits and learns the game this year.

At least the Bills aren't paying 15.5M/yr like the Bears are for Cutler.  That contract is crazy bad. 

Oh and.......

original.jpg

Sorry, had to :)

Ha. That is a great pic. I have never seen that one of Brady. Another embarrassing one to add to the file for potential avatar bets. lol.

Well, Matt Cassell had a good year in NE when Brady went down with his knee injury in 2008 & he won 11 games that season. I've always considered Matt a backup, but he can throw the ball, make completions, & with Rex just don't turn the ball over & that defense will carry you to victory more often than not. 

I like Cassell who seems like a nice kid. He's leaps & bounds above Sanchez or Smith in Rex's NY tenure. EJ Manuel sucks too. Matt's an upgrade any way you slice it at the QB spot to me.