Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Mutual interest between Colts and Andre Johnson (merge)

Dustin

reggie was 33 and was already accumulated to indy. there was no adjustment period like we've been having with these wrs. 

Do you really believe that it would be a hard adjustment for an All-Pro wide out who's 33 like Reggie was, who caught over 300 passes over the last 3 seasons and is familiar with Reggie himself to get on board with the best QB he will have ever played with?

Thats a reach.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of other people in that if the Colts do it for a low price, I'm for it. You are essentially doing the same deal you got with Reggie Wayne back in 2012. It's not a long-term answer by any means and he did start to show signs of age this past season. However, with Andrew Luck throwing him the ball, he could still very productive in this offense and would still bring more to the table than Hakeem Nicks did.

I agree with a lot of other people in that if the Colts do it for a low price, I'm for it. You are essentially doing the same deal you got with Reggie Wayne back in 2012. It's not a long-term answer by any means and he did start to show signs of age this past season. However, with Andrew Luck throwing him the ball, he could still very productive in this offense and would still bring more to the table than Hakeem Nicks did.

The only way Indy does this IMO is if he gets cut out right. That is the basis of my posts, just to be clear.

The only way Indy does this IMO is if he gets cut out right. That is the basis of my posts, just to be clear.

The only way any team will do it is if he gets cut.

I never understood why a team says they will cut a player if they can't find a suitable trade partner for him. Teams will just wait till he's cut and sign him.

It worked great for a year and then he fell apart. I think what people are saying is that considering the money would probably be even more than what we gave Reggie there is a lot younger, hungrier wrs out there to consider. Luck will be like Peyton...he will make avg WRs good and good WRs great. I'm not opposed to AJ just his salary numbers would have to be adjusted. If we signed him for 3 yrs we would be lucky to get 1 1/2 good ones out of him. For the money I think there are other younger more viable options...and Houston isn't going to just give him to us....he would come at a premium to us. I just don't see this happening.

Reggie didnt fall apart, he was having a good season until he tore his ACL on an extremely awkward attempt to catch an under thrown ball. Go back and watch the play and tell me that happened because Reggie was old.

Reggie didnt fall apart, he was having a good season until he tore his ACL on an extremely awkward attempt to catch an under thrown ball. Go back and watch the play and tell me that happened because Reggie was old.

Its hard to say...a lot of wear and tear on that body. Would a young Reggie have torn it on that play...we don't know....and then this year with the elbow.. Just saying he had 1 1/2 good years....its a fact is it not?

regardless of the money I say No to Andre Johnson. He's too old, we need to go younger. Besides Johnson has been injury riddled over past two seasons more than any other and I don't see this pattern changing. No to Nicks as well. Even though he isn't old Nicks has lost it and fallen off a cliff. Not the same player he once was.

Do you really believe that it would be a hard adjustment for an All-Pro wide out who's 33 like Reggie was, who caught over 300 passes over the last 3 seasons and is familiar with Reggie himself to get on board with the best QB he will have ever played with?

Thats a reach.

is it really a reach? we're not getting the same andre everyone thinks we are. 

regardless of the money I say No to Andre Johnson. He's too old, we need to go younger. Besides Johnson has been injury riddled over past two seasons more than any other and I don't see this pattern changing. No to Nicks as well. Even though he isn't old Nicks has lost it and fallen off a cliff. Not the same player he once was.

We've already gone younger. T.Y., Moncrief and Carter are as young as it gets. Oh and AJ has missed 1 game in the last 3 seasons while hauling in 306 catches.

reggie was 33 and was already accumulated to indy. there was no adjustment period like we've been having with these wrs.

Except it was a new QB, new coach, new coordinator, and new system. Other than that you're right, no adjustments.

He has produce consistently, every year with terrible QB play. He had a great season for a guy "on the decline" last year especially considering the Texans made it a point to feature Hopkins.

On what planet does three touchdowns count as a "great season"? And for $6 - 8 MM a year? Heck, Hakeem Nicks had four, and at age 26 he's got a whole lot more tread left on his tires than Johnson does at 33. Even Jack Doyle and Anthony Castonzo combined for three TDs. Even if Johnson would take a one-year veteran minimum contract he'd still be clogging up a roster spot that could be better used for someone with some upside potential. No thanks.

I'd be ok with bringing him in as a #2 target for #2 money to give Moncrief more time.

The only thing is I'm not sure if it will come to that.  Andre Johnson has to know that no one on the open market will pay him what the Texans are going to pay him next year if he stays.  

So he may look for a trade or something, but he has to really want to play with a winner bad if he's willing to take an outright release.  Because it will bring down his earning potential.  

On what planet does three touchdowns count as a "great season"? And for $6 - 8 MM a year? Heck, Hakeem Nicks had four, and at age 26 he's got a whole lot more tread left on his tires than Johnson does at 33. Even Jack Doyle and Anthony Castonzo combined for three TDs. Even if Johnson would take a one-year veteran minimum contract he'd still be clogging up a roster spot that could be better used for someone with some upside potential. No thanks.

im-not-always-at-a-loss-for-words-but-th

The question is if A. Johnson was with A. Luck last season would that have still been 3 TDs?  The answer is no

Ummm YES!

Old shhhmmold.

He didn't have a good quarterback. Go look at his film last season. Made some great catches and able to still get separation.

Also it's not good but he didn't seem to want to play for the Texans last year and they fought all year long. It's finally boiled over.

Maybe with a new team that has a good chance to make it to the SuperBowl and with a good QB he could be a superstar again for Atleast one or two more seasons.

Anthony Castanzo and Jack Doyle didn't have 936 yards receiving with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback.  You can't just look at TD's, you have to look at yards.  If you just look at TD's TY Hilton looks like just an ok receiver.

Finding guys with upside isn't easy, only thing harder is finding guys that actually live up to their upside.  Andre Johnson would be a good 2 year stopgap at the WR#2/3 spot.  

Bring him in for about 6 to 7 M per year. . . not a lot of guarantees.  I think it's a good deal.  

The only way any team will do it is if he gets cut.

I never understood why a team says they will cut a player if they can't find a suitable trade partner for him. Teams will just wait till he's cut and sign him.

When did houston say they would cut AJ if they couldn't trade him?

is it really a reach? we're not getting the same andre everyone thinks we are. 

No one is saying we are. . . that's why we're thinking 6 to 7 M per year, not what he's making now.

And that's why we want to bring him in as a #2 or #3, not a #1.  Because Andre Johnson in his prime would have been the #1 receiver over TY Hilton.  But we know he's not in his prime, TY is.  

No he's not a true #1 anymore. . . but he still has some left in the tank to be a #2.

And if he's willing to take less money then he's making now to play with a contender that has a quarterback.  Then you know he wants to win.  

No one is saying we are. . . that's why we're thinking 6 to 7 M per year, not what he's making now.

And that's why we want to bring him in as a #2 or #3, not a #1.  Because Andre Johnson in his prime would have been the #1 receiver over TY Hilton.  But we know he's not in his prime, TY is.  

No he's not a true #1 anymore. . . but he still has some left in the tank to be a #2.

And if he's willing to take less money then he's making now to play with a contender that has a quarterback.  Then you know he wants to win.  

6 or 7 is still too much

This is wrong and very off the mark!!!

isnt that what was said about nicks that he would be more productive then DHB? how did that work out

Nicks was way more productive then DHB...especially when you take into account DHB started 11 games to Nicks 6

I'd be for signing Johnson, he caught 85 passes last year for 936 yards, as a #2 receiver with a garbage QB. That's great production for a 33 year old, and with a huge upgrade at the QB position along with the change of scenery, it could be a pretty decent match. Plus, at 6'3" he'd provide a nice big red zone target, and be able to win some 1-on-1 matchups.