Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Colts GM Ryan Grigson may not throw in the towel on current offensive line

TKnight24

For those tweeting bout needing o-like help, Grigson - right or wrong - isn't throwing the towel in on his current group.

— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL)

March 3, 2015

For those of you who can't see embedded Tweets:

@MikeWellsNFL: For those tweeting bout needing o-like help, Grigson - right or wrong - isn't throwing the towel in on his current group.

Only thing I can really take from this is they were impressed with the playoff offensive line. I agree that was our best lineup of the entire year, but still we should bring in guys like Cameron Irving or one of the Saints Offensive Linemen who were released

:colts:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be time to give up on Thornton.  There is reason to stick with Castanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, and Cherilus.  

Castanzo and Mewhort have looked good, Holmes has gotten very little experience since for some reason we didn't decide to actually play him til the end of the season.  Cherilus was hampered by injuries all last season and was solid the year before.

Thornton has been a starter for pretty much 2 years now.  Hasn't from my understanding shown much promise.

What new info is there? He's not going to totally overhaul the o-line? We already knew that.

He brought in Ben Hennan to play guard. I was thinking we would probably look into a FA Center and draft a Tackle. Not a total overhaul, but just enough to get better.

Adding a couple of more linemen is not throwing in the towel. We do need depth because last season we suffered from not having that. I cant recall exactly how many different starting lineups we used but it was too many. I suspect that Grigs is working on run and pass blocking. That is something we all know needs work.

I think not bringing in a guard would be a really, really bad decision. I mean, it seems pretty obvious to me. It hasn't worked in 3 years, so its time to go buy one of the best guards in FA, IMO. Maybe a Center too. We'll keep screwing around and we'll have a mediocre O-Line this next season too. Luck wont have any time in the pocket, and we wont be able to run the ball either. I'm going to try and not stress about this though, because I have faith we'll do the smart thing in the end. Which is bring in a pro bowl type FA O-Lineman (or 2) for an immediate and quick fix.

Our line looked okay in the playoffs. Maybe with some continuity, health, and experience, it will be better. I still want depth, ideally pick up some players that can push Holmes, Thornton, and Cherilus for their jobs.

Continuity is the key word here. 

Thornton looked pretty good when there was good center play next to him.  I like GC, I don't think he's great but he's a good RT, my worry with him is his injury is degenerative so he's not going to get better and, it appeared from last year and then eventually being put on IR that it is no longer jsut a matter of playing through the pain.  So I will not be surprised if GC retires soon.

Which means the Colts need to address the RT position in the draft and free agency.  Personally, I would like it if the Colts signed Barksdale (assuming the Rams don't sign him to a new contract and then drafted Haverstein.  Doing that and then signing re-signing Reitz will create some strong competition for the RT spot and then create some good depth for the right side.

It might be time to give up on Thornton.  There is reason to stick with Castanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, and Cherilus.  

Castanzo and Mewhort have looked good, Holmes has gotten very little experience since for some reason we didn't decide to actually play him til the end of the season.  Cherilus was hampered by injuries all last season and was solid the year before.

Thornton has been a starter for pretty much 2 years now.  Hasn't from my understanding shown much promise.

Thornton only played in 10 games last year, and only started 8 of them.    And frankly,  he was banged up in those.

You can chalk up Thornton's disappointing 2nd season to the same thing you can point to a poor 2nd season for Cherilus -- injuries.  

Our line looked okay in the playoffs. Maybe with some continuity, health, and experience, it will be better. I still want depth, ideally pick up some players that can push Holmes, Thornton, and Cherilus for their jobs.

Yep, easily our best lineup of the year

Up until the NE game, we actually had a running game. Was running the ball very well against a solid Bengals defense

I thought the line vs. the reigning Super Bowl champs looked horrendous, as they had the previous 3 times before that.  In AFCCG I remember Collins ans Hightower lining up over A gaps and wreaking havoc when they came in on Luck...  I remember Ninkovic owning Joe Reitz on every play when he rushed instead of dropping off into coverage ... I remember  Chandler Jones working Castonzo for a few pressures and a QB hit...  I remember the Pats sending more than 4 rushers twice all game, and many times dropped off players and rushed 2 or 3, yet luck still had a bad night and only one pass over 10 yards, and also stopped his scrambling ability...

Sometimes it is not X's and O's, it's Jimmy's and Joe's.  Other times (see above), it's both.

Yep, easily our best lineup of the year

Up until the NE game, we actually had a running game. Was running the ball very well against a solid Bengals defense

I'd contest that we never tried to establish the run against the Pats. Sure, it didn't help that we were in an early hole, but sometimes, you can run yourself out of it. There just wasn't much success in the passing game. Too many failed drives and we never changed our plan.

I'd contest that we never tried to establish the run against the Pats. Sure, it didn't help that we were in an early hole, but sometimes, you can run yourself out of it. There just wasn't much success in the passing game. Too many failed drives and we never changed our plan.

Boo yah Rick! You just uncovered another problem the :colts: have

Coaches who make in-game adjustments. Colts don't have those. They just stick to something and hope it works, thus why blowouts ensue when we play top teams

Yeah, I agree with this.  Don't think you can take anything definitive away from that game with how quickly it got away from them.

Coaches who make in-game adjustments. Colts don't have those. They just stick to something and hope it works, thus why blowouts ensue when we play top teams

Dear God...

You are failing to take into consideration that the coaches see these players every day. Could it be they see and know what the players were capable and what they weren't capable of? You are so quick to point fingers at the coaches like they don't know what they are doing. You have always had a problem with not seeing the bigger picture. Sometimes your negativity just trumps anything you have to say. We are all aware of the problems the Colts have but you seem to never see anything positive with anything related to the Colts. Just out of curiosity are you really a Colt fan?

I think we need to sign someone to play RG. Boling from Cincy is a good option. I think Cherilus is going to continue to have injury issues. It would be prudent to cut him and use that money towards a replacement. Move Mewhort to RT and sign another good guard to plug in at LG. That would solidify our line. In the draft we can focus on defense and grab a rb in there somewhere.

I think we need to sign someone to play RG. Boling from Cincy is a good option. I think Cherilus is going to continue to have injury issues. It would be prudent to cut him and use that money towards a replacement. Move Mewhort to RT and sign another good guard to plug in at LG. That would solidify our line. In the draft we can focus on defense and grab a rb in there somewhere.

Cameron Irving FSU lol

It looked ok against Denver, but not against NE

Luck had more time, but there were no running lanes ...... No push

Overall..... I THINK I am in agreement with the post the OP made....... I just want a stud RG

Leave the rest of the starters be at this point.

We should reserve a spot or two for a late round OT / OG to develop (6th round?)

Thornton only played in 10 games last year, and only started 8 of them.    And frankly,  he was banged up in those.

You can chalk up Thornton's disappointing 2nd season to the same thing you can point to a poor 2nd season for Cherilus -- injuries.

I don't know....... The difference to me is clear Cherilus has had some successful seasons in the NFL...... (Not great.. But serviceable)

Thornton hasn't shown much of anything..... Just sayin

I don't know....... The difference to me is clear Cherilus has had some successful seasons in the NFL...... (Not great.. But serviceable)

Thornton hasn't shown much of anything..... Just sayin

Cherilous has about a 7-year NFL career.

Thornton has played two.

Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, FA/Draft, Cherlius

And this will work for how long? Holmes can't seem to stay healthy, I wish he would be "the guy." Cherilus' injury looks terrifying and who knows if he can stay healthy for an entire season now. I think I would try to roll with Holmes another season as Center, FA RG, and draft RT (1st/2nd).