Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius butler likely to test the market per holder

12isthenew18

Would make sense im assuming Darius and CO think he has the abilities to go else where and play as a # 2 CB. Darius is good. but i feel he is better suited as a nickel Corner. he excels in the nickel. i could see him possibly going to the Bears. With that being said. id hate to see him go that would just be another void left for us to fill. 

Would make sense im assuming Darius and CO think he has the abilities to go else where and play as a # 2 CB. Darius is good. but i feel he is better suited as a nickel Corner. he excels in the nickel. i could see him possibly going to the Bears. With that being said. id hate to see him go that would just be another void left for us to fill. 

he can't play outside look at his highlights against pittsburgh

I really like Darius. Clearly there is such thing as an upgrade to him, but I don't really know who that would be given the money we'd end up having to pay them anyways vs. him. I don't really like the idea of our last 3 CB spots being fluid though. 

Butler is a nice player but he's hardly someone who can't be replaced. Especially with Pagano's knack for developing young corners. I'd love Butler back at a $3Mil/YR price tag but anything more than that is pushing it.

Agree and the fact that he don't seem ( many have pointed this out already) too fare too well when we plays outside certainly makes your figure ball is park correct.

Get Kareem Jackson if Butler leaves. Can play at the 3 instead of Butler and then if Toler/Davis,knock knock, get injured he can play on the outside. He can also be the #2 if Toler opts to leave Indy next year.

Kareem Jackson isn't leaving a starting job in Houston to be the Colts nickle corner.

Plus,  we'd have to pay him so much to leave that we'd be making him our #2 corner instead of Toler.

Butler is replaceable. I thought he had an underwhelming season.

Yes, Butler sure is replaceable. 

I personally think Butler is one of the best #3 CBs in the league, but don't think he is very near being a good #1 or #2.  As others above me have said, he's built to play the slot (and IMO he excels at that), however, he is not built to play outside and he struggles pretty mightily there.

I'd love to see Butler come back, but knowing how free agency works, some team will over pay him to be their #2 and they will regret it a few games into the season.

When Indy sign's N Suh...    No money will be available for "nickle" backs....

I honestly believe...    Suh wil lbe a Colt.   and he fixes A TON OF ISSUES BY HIMSELF.

Good Lord I hope it happens.        One guy on the DL that commands a double or triple team changes the entire dynamic of a D. 

See Jerry Hughes in Buffalo....

Go get NSUH Grigs.......

Kareem Jackson isn't leaving a starting job in Houston to be the Colts nickle corner.

Plus,  we'd have to pay him so much to leave that we'd be making him our #2 corner instead of Toler.

I honestly believe...    Suh wil lbe a Colt.   and he fixes A TON OF ISSUES BY HIMSELF.

Good Lord I hope it happens.        One guy on the DL that commands a double or triple team changes the entire dynamic of a D. 

Go get NSUH Grigs.......

I know it's what you want,  but I think you're going to be very disappointed.

I think he either stays in Detroit or signs with another team that isn't the Colts.

Detroit just said NO Franchise Tag on him...  Detriot is screwed...       if they keep NSuh they will have to pay him more than Calvin for the QB.      And I think he is worth it.

hemmmm      If TRUE...    I am positive Indy will make a SERIOUS run at him. 

And they should.      he is a a STUD DL'men that can line up anywhere on the DL.     And he would make Bjorn and Newsome a lot of money.

I know it's what you want,  but I think you're going to be very disappointed.

I think he either stays in Detroit or signs with another team that isn't the Colts.

Put a HARD rush on the QB right off the snap and depth at CB is not a neccesity.

The BEST PASS D is a GREAT pass RUSH.

As long as we find a replacement OR TWO. We will be fine IF we lose Butler.

FA CB
Draft a CB incase of injury.

Ohhh and cut Gordy.

Go get NSUH Grigs.......

Think about this statement for a minute...really think about it......Do you think all those D Linemen we had here in Indy while Mathis and Freeney were flying off the edge (Just like Hughes) helped Freeney and Mathis? Because I don't recall that we ever really had a great...or even real good D Line except those two....So it would seem logical to assume those two players produced as much as they did because they have/had a lot of talent......That same scenario translates to Hughes in Buffalo...He still has to shed blocks,,,,He still has to beat a LT by himself...He still has to have the acceleration off the snap and take a good angle to the ball.....no D Linemen can help him with those things nor can another rush linebacker opposite of him...Teams have had dominant D Lines before but pass rushers have not worked out, The player has to be very talented to rack up the number of sacks Hughes is getting....Hughes is VERY talented and it was easy to see coming out of TCU...He was just very raw.

Butler is a REALLY good slot CB, and irreplaceable. IMHO, if you want Butler gone, then be prepared to get abused out of the slot next season.

That thought crossed my mind looking at the Corners we have behind him...But he is replaceable in the draft if we go that route or I think someone like Davin House out of Green Bay can do the trick

Butler is a REALLY good slot CB, and irreplaceable. IMHO, if you want Butler gone, then be prepared to get abused out of the slot next season.

He's not in any way irreplaceable. I like him, I think we should keep him, but at a reasonable price. 

Defending the slot, he gave up 58% completions, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and had a passer rating against of 104.2 (42nd in the league among DBs who were on the field for at least 25% of defensive snaps). 

There are several free agents who were better in the slot, and his performance wasn't so great that a rookie DB couldn't match it. There are a few rookies from 2014 who were as good or better. Cassius Vaughn was better in the slot in 2014.

Again, not knocking him, but I don't see how he was irreplaceable. 

Butler is a nice player but he's hardly someone who can't be replaced. Especially with Pagano's knack for developing young corners. I'd love Butler back at a $3Mil/YR price tag but anything more than that is pushing it.

After 3 years who has he developed here?

After 3 years who has he developed here?

Uhh Vontae Davis from bottom of the depth chart in miami to top 5 corner (he was mostly character issues but still), Greg Toler from out in Arizona and not playing well at all his first year here to a solid #2 this year, and Darius Butler from being out in NE and a bust to a solid slot corner that everyone in this forum would prefer to keep. 

Darius Butler from being out in NE and a bust to a solid slot corner that everyone in this forum would prefer to keep. 

The most obvious example, really, given the thread topic. The guy who was one stop from being out of the league when we brought him in, thrown away by the Pats (a team that LOVES taking underperforming players and milking more out of them), and now he has a market in free agency. One person calls him "irreplaceable," which I don't agree with, but he's obviously played better and is more valuable than he was two and a half years ago.

But that can't be credited to Pagano. No way.

The most obvious example, really, given the thread topic. The guy who was one stop from being out of the league when we brought him in, thrown away by the Pats (a team that LOVES taking underperforming players and milking more out of them), and now he has a market in free agency. One person calls him "irreplaceable," which I don't agree with, but he's obviously played better and is more valuable than he was two and a half years ago.

But that can't be credited to Pagano. No way.

Yea obviously Pagano had nothing to do with it, it must be the water lol  :sarcasm:

Uhh Vontae Davis from bottom of the depth chart in miami to top 5 corner (he was mostly character issues but still), Greg Toler from out in Arizona and not playing well at all his first year here to a solid #2 this year, and Darius Butler from being out in NE and a bust to a solid slot corner that everyone in this forum would prefer to keep.

Toler was good in 2013 before he got hurt.