Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Eagles Mariota Scenario could be important to Colts

If the Eagles trade up chances are it will be to a team that needs a QB in the draft. (Jets Rams Bucs Titans) just to name a few. By trading back those teams will surely pickup quite a few extra picks and could be willing to trade a few picks back to get into first round for 3rd best QB available. Colts should jump at this opportunity!

And the Eagles don't need to trade with one of the teams interested in a QB.

They could more easily trade with a team just ahead of one of those teams, who would have no need to trade back up for a QB.

Or, they may want to trade back up for another position.

This is a thread about nothing.

imo neither one is a starting QB in the nfl. one is immature and the other ran a spread offense.

If the Eagles trade up chances are it will be to a team that needs a QB in the draft. (Jets Rams Bucs Titans) just to name a few. By trading back those teams will surely pickup quite a few extra picks and could be willing to trade a few picks back to get into first round for 3rd best QB available. Colts should jump at this opportunity!

Sorry Dan,  I'm not following?

Who has to trade back into the first?

If the Eagles make a trade up high enough to take Mariotta,  that team will be getting the Eagles pick at #20.

So,  who would have to trade back up in this scenario?

imo neither one is a starting QB in the nfl. one is immature and the other ran a spread offense.

Sorry Dan,  I'm not following?

Who has to trade back into the first?

If the Eagles make a trade up high enough to take Mariotta,  that team will be getting the Eagles pick at #20.

So,  who would have to trade back up in this scenario?

Maybe what he is saying is...

Eagles move up to get Mariotta>trading team gets #20 pick and some other picks>trading team realizes that the third best QB is not worth using the #20 pick on> trading team wants to jump in front of other teams who are at the beginning of the second round> trading team wheels and deals with Colts to claim the #29 pick>Colts get an early second round pick and a later round pick as well.(not sure how values play into this)

Essentially the Colts move a couple of spots and gain an extra pick.

Maybe what he is saying is...

Eagles move up to get Mariotta>trading team gets #20 pick and some other picks>trading team realizes that the third best QB is not worth using the #20 pick on> trading team wants to jump in front of other teams who are at the beginning of the second round> trading team wheels and deals with Colts to claim the #29 pick>Colts get an early second round pick and a later round pick as well.(not sure how values play into this)

Essentially the Colts move a couple of spots and gain an extra pick.

OK.....  if that's what Dan is getting at....   fine.    Just glad you translated for him!     :thmup:

We might also trade back with a team like Seattle if they're trying to get Gurley before NE does...

I could see a number of opportunities for us to move down to the upper picks of 2nd round.  A team after 2nd tier QBs.  Don't say it can't happen as it has just in the last 2-3 years. 

Might be a team needing another position (Vikings in 2012).

IMO, would give us better options.

...... you can teach maturity. Can't teach how to play under center to a guy who never took a snap under center

actually you have that completely backwards. Not that I'm shocked

uhhhh not to be sarcastic. . .but its in my nature buttttt

You can teach Maturity and how to play under center, its just are the players going to excel in it?

Either way there is no sure thing when it comes to QB in this draft and if the Eagles are behind Kelly 100% i believe Mariotta will be in green again, however I believe that just like last year, the eagles will start strong and them come crashing down.  Gimmick Offenses last about 3 seasons of good productivity, then its back to the drawing board.

uhhhh not to be sarcastic. . .but its in my nature buttttt

You can teach Maturity and how to play under center, its just are the players going to excel in it?

Either way there is no sure thing when it comes to QB in this draft and if the Eagles are behind Kelly 100% i believe Mariotta will be in green again, however I believe that just like last year, the eagles will start strong and them come crashing down. Gimmick Offenses last about 3 seasons of good productivity, then its back to the drawing board.

That's what I meant. These spread offense QB's struggle in the NFL cause they don't go under center in college. Look at Griffin, has to be in a college offense to do well. Under center, he can't read defenses

Mariota is RG3 2.0

Bust waiting to happen unless the Eagles get him

@TK I get what your saying, but I actually believe Mariota will have a better career than him simply for the fact that Mariotta doesn't have near the pressure of Griffin, although I do believe both will fizzle out, I just think its funny how that dude (Griffin) got the Heisman over Luck. . . .smh I just don't get it.

What benefits us most is if Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty, and Garrett Grayson continue their ascent up draft boards. I am not sold on Hundley, but if he can have a strong pro day and productive meetings with teams, perhaps he can sneak into the late first. He looks like Jason Campbell to me, so I am not optimistic about such a scenario, but you never know. 

If Grayson and Petty can improve their stock, our 2nd round pick comes into play as a valuable trade chip. Perhaps we can trade back and pick up an extra 4th rounder. The more teams that are interested, the better the haul in a trade. 

I heard and this is just a rumor that Chip Kelly was looking to package Foles and McCoy to trade up.  If I was the Titans I would be on the phone with Chip Kelly to make that trade.