Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What area do we address most in the draft?

Ohio Colt

I've seen a lot of sentiment from my friends "Luck is a star who will make anyone a star" "Don't draft weapons for him" Ok, fine, but how about building an stud O Line for him through the draft?

I am a bit conflicted on which way we should really target the whole draft.

Do we draft a pile of good lineman? Do we just build defense and let Luck's talent cover deficiencies on the offensive side? What do you want to see us do, and what do you think we'll do?

I really want Andrus Peat in the first round I think, and from there take 2-4 more lineman. Build a line with depth that is young.

We could be set there for years. Use the rest of the picks on defense. Use some free agency to add another expensive weapon or two for Luck if possible.

Too easy, you are not giving this enough thought. There will be multiple BPA at multiple positions likely with where we are drafting. We need more than this

I mean, there' no way of knowing that. You would have to know the teams draft board. Going into the draft with thinking you have to address a position of need is how you end up drafting a player like Justin Britt in the 2nd round (Seattle). 

Step 1. Set up your board.

Step 2. Stick to it. 

Too easy, you are not giving this enough thought. There will be multiple BPA at multiple positions likely with where we are drafting. We need more than this

If you give every player an overall draft grade and then rank them the BPA will be the one at the top. If he is a position of need and fits our team then draft him.

I really want Andrus Peat in the first round I think, and from there take 2-4 more lineman. Build a line with depth that is young.

We could be set there for years. Use the rest of the picks on defense. Use some free agency to add another expensive weapon or two for Luck if possible.

FA for defense. Draft for OL

No weapons needed if the trenches get handled

Unless it's an absolute steal like Moncrief sitting there when they should've been off the board, I don't want any weapons drafted except RB. Plenty of UDFA WR will be available

Ol' Pillow Hands Peat. No thanks I don't want a lineman who doesn't want to murder the guy across from him every play. 

How good could Moncrief be if he develops? realistically?

He's probably going to be Mike Wallace his entire career. 

Physically, he's Julio Jones, but I don't think he'll ever play up to his potential. You don't see the things he should be doing with all that talent (attacking the ball, out-fighting DBs in traffic, using in his size to his advantage). But I think he does a lot of things better in the pros than he did in college (yards after catch ability, particularly dragging tacklers an extra yards or two, getting better releases off the line). 

Physically, he's Julio Jones, but I don't think he'll ever play up to his potential. You don't see the things he should be doing with all that talent (attacking the ball, out-fighting DBs in traffic, using in his size to his advantage). But I think he does a lot of things better in the pros than he did in college (yards after catch ability, particularly dragging tacklers an extra yards or two, getting better releases off the line). 

He's still relatively young, I am hoping the coaches can get him to develop more the of that "my ball" physical style ... if he ever develops that he will be a force. 

I mean, there' no way of knowing that. You would have to know the teams draft board. Going into the draft with thinking you have to address a position of need is how you end up drafting a player like Justin Britt in the 2nd round (Seattle). 

Step 1. Set up your board.

Step 2. Stick to it. 

I didn't like the Britt pick either.    I know few who did at the time.

But it's worked out for Seattle.    Britt played pretty well for them is my understanding.

Year after year,  Seattle's board looks totally different from everyone else.    Way different.

Look at what Dallas did two years ago....  Frederick, the center in the 1st round.   Most of the NFL laughed at the Cowboys.    Said they could've gotten him in the 2nd (maybe even the 3rd)   But that has worked out beautifully for Dallas.     They were right, and most everyone else was wrong.  

This goes back to the view that we all see the same thing differently,  whether it's Britt or Frederick, or someone else.   (Even Andrus Peat)

Ol' Pillow Hands Peat. No thanks I don't want a lineman who doesn't want to murder the guy across from him every play. 

Sincere question for you....

Is this view of Peat your view after watching video?    Or is this something you read somewhere and agree with?

I'm asking because I don't see that criticism of Peat anywhere on ESPN or NFL.com or CBS Sports.

Just askin.....

I've seen a lot of sentiment from my friends "Luck is a star who will make anyone a star" "Don't draft weapons for him" Ok, fine, but how about building an stud O Line for him through the draft?

Do we draft a pile of good lineman? Do we just build defense and let Luck's talent cover deficiencies on the offensive side? What do you want to see us do, and what do you think we'll do?

Build Luck an O-line and he will turn trash to treasure. Give him a D which gets off the field fast by creating turnovers.

Man, I want a LT in the first or stud RT road grader, a Center in the 2nd, and a guard later on in the draft who is a steal.

Why at LT? I think in the 1st you absolutely have to go with the BPA on your draft board.  What if Collins or Beasly have slipped to 29 you still want a LT?

I don't get the C in the second either. If the coaches don't think we have our C on the roster. I think we need to pay Wiz and be done with it. I for one am tired of sucking at C year after year.

I think it is dangerous and not a very smart way to draft going into it with specific positions in at certain rounds.

I would assume there will be a couple of positions not on our drat board like QB 

don't want much do ya?

If our number one priority is re-tooling this line as a unit for years to come? Am I expecting too much if that's the goal in this draft?

We have a top 10 left tackle.

Yes, he's excellent. I am proposing we take another guy who can play at either side (sliding to LT if Castonzo gets hurt without too much of a slip in skills) and be a road-grader at RT. Peat is a mauler at the next level and played at Stanford where we have had good luck with players. I bet we have good notes on him in scouting

Moncrief will be just fine. It takes three years to develop and learn to be a great receiver in the NFL. With more protection Luck will have more time to read his progressions and in turn find Moncrief more.

Moncrief will be just fine. It takes three years to develop and learn to be a great receiver in the NFL. With more protection Luck will have more time to read his progressions and in turn find Moncrief more.

I didn't say anything to the contrary.

Luck gets hit too often.  Part of it may be on him for holding on too long and trying to extend plays, but part of it is on the line and part of it is on our lack of run game and skills at WR (after Reggie got hurt, TY's production dropped and teams were able to focus on him when we really didn't have a threat to run the ball or any very consistent threats to take pressure off TY).  Hopefully Moncrief continues to develop along with Allen and Fleener.  IMO, we don't know what we have with Carter yet -- it'd be nice if he works out, but don't think we can count on it.  Any position that will help Luck would be great for our team -- so IMO, I'd be happy to see us go OL, WR, or perhaps RB in round 1 (if someone like Melvin Gordon falls to us -- no need to reach here).  Obviously, this depends on what we do in FA and trading, but as our roster stands now, we sure could use upgrades at WR, OL (except maybe LT), and RB.  We also need help on D -- along the line, at safety, and at LB - so if a stud drops to us there, go for it, IMO.

BPA for a position of NEED you mean Right?

We need help at pretty much every position except QB, K, and P -- after that I'd say LT, TE, and (if we sign Butler back) CB are the only positions where I feel like we'd be happy going into the season with who is on our team now.  So, IMO, our needs will match the BPA at the majority of positions.

I don't know -- I think they should go with their draft board.  I doubt they'll have any QBs on it before UDFA (especially with Hasselbeck signing on for another year), and doubt they'll have any P or Ks on their board until UDFA starts.  That said, we could use help at basically every other position (in no real particular order) besides LT and TE.

FA for defense. Draft for OL

No weapons needed if the trenches get handled

Unless it's an absolute steal like Moncrief sitting there when they should've been off the board, I don't want any weapons drafted except RB. Plenty of UDFA WR will be available

We could definitely use some more weapons at WR.  Carter is unproven, TY's production dropped significantly when he was asked to do it himself, and Moncrief is still a work in progress.  If TY gets hurt (knock wood he doesn't), are you really comfortable going into the season with Moncrief and Carter as Luck's primary receiving threats?? 

It is pretty rare for a UDFA to really be a threat in this league -- it can happen, but to say 'plenty of UDFA WR will be available' is a bit of a stretch if you are considering them to be locks to be good NFL players, nonetheless good NFL players off the bat.

If our number one priority is re-tooling this line as a unit for years to come? Am I expecting too much if that's the goal in this draft?

yeah when our D has as many holes as we do you don't draft like that? First our LT is very good we will prolly see how Holmes progresses mewhort is fine only positions we could really upgrade is RG and RT maybe a T in the first or second is fine but a whole draft of OL is just stupid

He's still relatively young, I am hoping the coaches can get him to develop more the of that "my ball" physical style ... if he ever develops that he will be a force.

More than relatively young, he's 21. He definitely needs to grow into a more aggressive player. If he can, he has all pro potential. I'm hoping he makes big strides this year and shows he's our #2 for the future.