Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock FA/Draft 2/28/15

Current estimated cap space: $42M

Cuts: 

Donald Thomas

Josh Cribbs

Trent Richardson (not going to account for the money freed up from this, as we probably wouldn't get it until after the grievance ruling) 

Current estimated cap space: $46M

Re-Signings:

Mike Adams - 1 year $2.5M

Darius Butler - 2 year $6M

Segio Brown - 1 year $1M

Colt Anderson 1 year  $745K

Matt Overton - 1 year $660K

Dan Herron - 1 year $585K (ERFA Tender)

Joe Reitz - 1 year $1M

Current estimated cap space: $39M

Free Agents: 

Donald Thomas, G - 1 year $900K

Brandon Marshall, WR - 2 year, $12M

Nick Fairley, DT - 4 year $28M

Brandon Spikes, ILB - 2 year $5M

Pernell McPhee, EDGE - 4 year $34M

Current estimated cap space: $14M

Draft:

Round 1 - T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh. Colts manage to grab a large, athletic offensive lineman who posses the ability to be an elite OT one day. Clemmings still has some work to do in fixing his technique before he's a viable starting RT, but he can play guards until the Colts decide they want to move on from Cherilus.

Round 2 - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska. There are people who think Ameer Abdullah cannot be a workhorse back. I am not one of those people. Abdullah is a shifty, elusive do-it-all runner who can fill the void left behind by Ahmad Bradshaw. I would really like to mock Jay Ajayi here, but I don't think he falls this far, and Abdullah is as good a consolation prize as any. 

Round 3 - Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State. If my FA plays out the way I have outlined above, and we sign Brandon Marshall, we won't need a WR, but Lockett is a huge value at this pick. Lockett compares favorably to current Browns' and former Bengals receiver Andrew Hawkins. Lockett may not see extensive action his first year or two in the league, but we steal a future slot receiver in the 3rd round.

Round 4 - Adrian Amos, S, Penn State

Round 5 - Durrell Eskridge, S, Syracuse.

Round 6 - Darrenn Waller, WR/TE, Georgia Tech

Round 6 - BPA

Round 7 - BPA

I'd love this. Really love it. Clemmings can play RG and then kick out to RT when we move on from Cherilus, Abdullah is a good back, the defensive additions would help the team a lot, Marshall and Lockett are home runs.

But get ready for that guy who wanted me dead for suggesting we keep Thomas at vet min. haha

I think Sergio Brown will want more and be offered more.

Not a fan of the Spikes signing he can't really cover, if we are going to get him why not cut DJax.

Overton will get more.

I like rolling the dice on Thomas on a minimum contract.

Like Brandon Marshall especially if we can get him for that contract.

Don't like RB in 2nd especially if we are going WR in 3rd.

I think we need to do more to the trenches.

Im ok with this but if we get Marshall, I see no need to go WR in the 3rd. Id be happier adding the top corner or playmaking safety. I think an Abdullah/Herron backfield would be redundant IMO.

I don't agree that it would be redundant, but even if it was, so what? Redundant doesn't mean bad. You still have two effective backs to tote the ball.

Cuts:

Donald Thomas

Josh Cribbs

Trent Richardson (not going to account for the money freed up from this, as we probably wouldn't get it until after the grievance ruling)

Re-Signings:

Segio Brown - 1 year $1M

Colt Anderson 1 year $745K

Joe Reitz - 1 year $1M

Free Agents:

Draft:

Round 1 - T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh. Colts manage to grab a large, athletic offensive lineman who posses the ability to be an elite OT one day. Clemmings still has some work to do in fixing his technique before he's a viable starting RT, but he can play guards until the Colts decide they want to move on from Cherilus.

Round 2 - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska. There are people who think Ameer Abdullah cannot be a workhorse back. I am not one of those people. Abdullah is a shifty, elusive do-it-all runner who can fill the void left behind by Ahmad Bradshaw. I would really like to mock Jay Ajayi here, but I don't think he falls this far, and Abdullah is as good a consolation prize as any.

Round 3 - Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State. If my FA plays out the way I have outlined above, and we sign Brandon Marshall, we won't need a WR, but Lockett is a huge value at this pick. Lockett compares favorably to current Browns' and former Bengals receiver Andrew Hawkins. Lockett may not see extensive action his first year or two in the league, but we steal a future slot receiver in the 3rd round.

Round 5 - Durrell Eskridge, S, Syracuse.

Round 6 - BPA

Round 7 - BPA

I agree with the players we to resign. I've seen some where they wanted redding to resign.

I like to keep Freeman, Spikes isn't really a Linebacker we need, Why would Grigson low ball Marshall? That deal might get Marshalls uniform here...Marshall not included...Making Mcphee the 4th highest paid linebacker on average seems to much for me at 8.5 mill per year...I think he gets a bit less then that

Cuts: 

Donald Thomas

Josh Cribbs

Re-Signings:

Segio Brown - 1 year $1M

Colt Anderson 1 year  $745K

Joe Reitz - 1 year $1M

Free Agents: 

Draft:

Round 2 - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska. There are people who think Ameer Abdullah cannot be a workhorse back. I am not one of those people. Abdullah is a shifty, elusive do-it-all runner who can fill the void left behind by Ahmad Bradshaw. I would really like to mock Jay Ajayi here, but I don't think he falls this far, and Abdullah is as good a consolation prize as any. 

Round 3 - Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State. If my FA plays out the way I have outlined above, and we sign Brandon Marshall, we won't need a WR, but Lockett is a huge value at this pick. Lockett compares favorably to current Browns' and former Bengals receiver Andrew Hawkins. Lockett may not see extensive action his first year or two in the league, but we steal a future slot receiver in the 3rd round.

Round 5 - Durrell Eskridge, S, Syracuse.

Round 6 - BPA

Round 7 - BPA

I think this is your best work yet....

Two nits to pick...

Both Reitz and Brown are already making $1.4,   so neither is going backwards to the $1M you recommend.

Brown is going to need a modest bump, especially if you see him getting more than just ST snaps.   So, perhaps 1.6-1.75.

And Reitz is going to need an even healthier bump.   So, perhaps $2M.    I would not be surprised if he receives an offer from another team.   If we want to keep him -- even only for depth -- he's going to have to get a decent bump.

Also....   you may need to give Adams 2 years instead of 1 if you don't want to get into a bidding war.

In my mind, two of the biggest needs are ILB and NT which I don't think are addressed appropriately. I also see Fairley and Jones being too similar, and both fit for the 3 tech.

Jones has been playing the 5 tech his whole career, and fairley played the 5 and some nose in college.

In my mind, two of the biggest needs are ILB and NT which I don't think are addressed appropriately. I also see Fairley and Jones being too similar, and both fit for the 3 tech.

Jones and Fairley aren't really anything alike. Jones is a two-gap space eater and Fairley is a gap-shooting penetrater. 

I don't agree that it would be redundant, but even if it was, so what? Redundant doesn't mean bad. You still have two effective backs to tote the ball.

It is a bad thing considering Herron was a 7th round draft pick who Grigson got off the street and spending a 2nd rounder on Abdullah who doesnt offer any significant upgrade to Herron. It'd be far more wasteful to use a 2 on Abdullah than it would be to use our 1st on Gordon.

It is a bad thing considering Herron was a 7th round draft pick who Grigson got off the street and spending a 2nd rounder on Abdullah who doesnt offer any significant upgrade to Herron. It'd be a waste of an early pick.

You're under the presumption that Abdullah isn't much better than Herron which I don't think is true. I think Abdullah is a much more talented player. 

He's not going to be there. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the 2nd round. 

I wouldnt be shocked either. That just goes to show that Abdullah isnt as great as some think he is. Personally I think our best option is if we're lucky enough to get Gordon in Rd 1. If not, I prefer to look into free agency for a solid vet and draft a RB late.

I wouldnt be shocked either. That just goes to show that Abdullah isnt as great as some think he is. Personally I think our best option is if we're lucky enough to get Gordon in Rd 1. If not, I prefer to look into free agency for a solid vet and draft a RB late.

I don't see how a guy potentially going in the same round as another guy means the other guy isn't good. Doesn't really make any sense tbh

I don't see how a guy potentially going in the same round as another guy means the other guy isn't good. Doesn't really make any sense tbh

Im not saying he's a scrub, Im saying that I dont see anything that would suggest he's a superior option in comparison to his peers in a "deep rb class" Gordon and Gurley however are. Picking Abdullah in rd 2 would be a reach.