Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is Denver about to do?

oldunclemark

...we've all read about how Peyton Manning and the Broncos are renegotiating his contract..which calls

for $19 mil in 2015..He'll play for less this year

'

']....They are not talking to Julius Thomas..and DT Terrance Knighton has said that he probably wont be back,,,

from the way talks are going../There are no talks with Wes Welker..and Orlando Franklin may be gone too.

As will Jacob Tamme and Bubba Caldwell..who made $1 or $2 mil

So what's the money for? They need to sign Demariyus Thomas....and who?

If they shift $10 mil of Peytons money, that's about $35 mil free bucks...from what I;ve read

Other than becoming a 'farm club'; for the Raiders...what are they getting ready to do?

..any thouhgts

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Elway is going to make the offense less predictable and less reliant on Peyton so that he can set the stage for moving on from Peyton, whether it happens this year or 2 years from now. So, they will be spending money on OL, front 7, and have more 2 RB or 1 RB/1 FB formations with blocking TEs.

They will be grooming Latimer to go with Sanders and DT, that is it for primary wide outs. They will get blocking TEs that can catch occasionally instead of investing in receiving TEs that may not be able to block to save their lives. Welker and Julius Thomas are gone, Terrance Knighton may be gone as well.

Orlando Franklin might be retained, DT will be retained, and blocking TEs will be signed. Both Elway and Kubiak understand what it took to win during the home stretch of Elway's career and that is exactly what they are after, not just thinking short term potentially with Peyton but long term for the Broncos even without Peyton to reduce the initial burden on Osweiler as well.

They are not keen on winning Peyton a ring, they are more keen on keeping the Broncos winning like they are supposed to be.

Denver?  They are about to win 11 or 12 games, and go one an out with an injured Manning at QB - regardless of what happens in free agency.

Elway can talk all he wants but you can't build an O line based on a strict timing offense and suddenly make it into a ground and pound p/a offense. 

I'd also like to ad that Kubiak is really a poor head coach.  He managed to get himself fired coming off of a 12 win season, and even after collapsing due to heath during halftime of a game just 4 weeks earlier.  His replacement?  Son of Bum, his new defensive coordinator!

John Elway is going to make the offense less predictable and less reliant on Peyton so that he can set the stage for moving on from Peyton, whether it happens this year or 2 years from now. So, they will be spending money on OL, front 7, and have more 2 RB or 1 RB/1 FB formations with blocking TEs.

They will be grooming Latimer to go with Sanders and DT, that is it for primary wide outs. They will get blocking TEs that can catch occasionally instead of investing in receiving TEs that may not be able to block to save their lives. Welker and Julius Thomas are gone, Terrance Knighton may be gone as well.

Orlando Franklin might be retained, DT will be retained, and blocking TEs will be signed. Both Elway and Kubiak understand what it took to win during the home stretch of Elway's career and that is exactly what they are after, not just thinking short term potentially with Peyton but long term for the Broncos even without Peyton to reduce the initial burden on Osweiler as well.

They are not keen on winning Peyton a ring, they are more keen on keeping the Broncos winning like they are supposed to be.

They are not keen about winning Peyton a ring? Strange opinion

Does that make sense? They brought :Peyton there to win the title..otherwise.,.they could have stayed with Tim tebow.

They are close to getting to the Super Bowl in 2015..

Its Elway's nature to go for it..all in..in truth..once they win it all..he's gone, too

I agree. This team is going to be very different than the one he ran for the past three years. Manning is not John Elway. They could not be more different in many ways. BUT, I get the philosophy with Manning's age and potential for injury. You have to focus more on run game and take the burden off. There are many wins to win at football and Elway figures the way he won late in his career is he way to go.

I am very interested to see how they shape the defense as well.

Denver?  They are about to win 11 or 12 games, and go one an out with an injured Manning at QB - regardless of what happens in free agency.

Elway can talk all he wants but you can't build an O line based on a strict timing offense and suddenly make it into a ground and pound p/a offense. 

I'd also like to ad that Kubiak is really a poor head coach.  He managed to get himself fired coming off of a 12 win season, and even after collapsing due to heath during halftime of a game just 4 weeks earlier.  His replacement?  Son of Bum, his new defensive coordinator!

Setting dire predictions (we hear that every year, Hogg) and talk about 'direction'aside...what are they about to do to go for it all in 2015?

I agree. This team is going to be very different than the one he ran for the past three years. Manning is not John Elway. They could not be more different in many ways. BUT, I get the philosophy with Manning's age and potential for injury. You have to focus more on run game and take the burden off. There are many wins to win at football and Elway figures the way he won late in his career is he way to go.

I am very interested to see how they shape the defense as well.

You cant possibly think Denver isn't keen on winning the Super Bowl in 2015.? think about that statement

How awesome would it be to build the perfect offense so Peyton doesn't have to do everything...only for him to to everything just like the Vikings/Favre in 2009. The Gunslinger came up a little short. Now lets see what happens with The Sheriff.

..are they making calls to Detroit?

....are they going after 'the bad guy'?

You cant possibly think Denver isn't keen on winning the Super Bowl in 2015.? think about that statement

I think they want to but I kind of see the last 3 years as them going for it. I think mid-season this year there was a change of philosophy and now they are going to go full board that way. Much depends on how fast they can get there, how quickly the team can adjust to its new coaching staff and Manning's performance/health. I am not sure SB aspirations are that realistic right now. Just so much change.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If the transition in 2014 is any indication, then what Chad's saying is right. Denver's trying to build a power running team with a stout defense. That's what eventually tipped the scales for Elway, and it's also Manning's best shot at winning another title before he's done. 

I don't think they're doing something crazy, like saving up money to sign a huge name (Suh, REVIS?)... I think they're looking to retain the guys they want and then add the complimentary pieces. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If the transition in 2014 is any indication, then what Chad's saying is right. Denver's trying to build a power running team with a stout defense. That's what eventually tipped the scales for Elway, and it's also Manning's best shot at winning another title before he's done. 

I don't think they're doing something crazy, like saving up money to sign a huge name (Suh, REVIS?)... I think they're looking to retain the guys they want and then add the complimentary pieces. 

I agree. I think they are looking at a new C and RT upgrade. Re-sign DT, Marshall, Irving, and Green. I think they will focus on OL/DL in free agency. You can never go wrong by strengthening those positions...especially with how good their corners are already. They have edge rushers, wrs, and a stable of young runners. That OL got exposed last year. Not only did Peyton get hurt but they couldn't give him the extra time for him to allow his receivers to uncover...and thus we saw a ton more anticipated throws by Peyton down the field that he had to throw before he wanted to. I don't think there is a single guy like Suh or anything that they will target...but they will be active in upgrading that OL for sure and moving Vasquez back to where he belongs at RG.

Am I the only one here who thinks that this transition is more than just a one season affair?  Also, I don't think they have much money for any upgrades after they re-sign all the people they want to keep anyway.  Thomas, Thomas, Knighton, Franklin, Moore, Montgomery, Harris and to a less extent Marshall/Welker (probably not), Tamme, Irving.

Can only tag one of those guys and it will be a whopping 13 million for D. Thomas.  With Manning unwilling to restructure, I don't see where the money is going to come from and any draft help probably will not be realized immediately.  Looks like they have about 37 million in cap space.  Thomas is going to be 13 of that, the other Thomas is going to want to be paid top TE $$ (he turned down 7.5-8.5.), and Harris is looking for his payday too at around 8 or 9.  That's like 30 million right there.

Am I the only one here who thinks that this transition is more than just a one season affair?  

I'd agree with that for sure. I think Chad mentioned it also. Elway knows he's probably got one year left with Manning and is looking beyond that at this point. 

Some of these comments make me feel Peyton should go ahead and retire.  He may be out of place in the new system.  I just do not want his career to end on a sour note.  I don't even like the Broncos...but number 18 is number 18.

He'd be fine in the new system, he just most likely won't be throwing up 50+ td, record breaking seasons with an insane cast of skill positions around him and thats ok..  He'll still put up decent numbers and give his team a chance every sunday with a stout defense and running game.

Manning handing the ball off instead of throwing it two out of three downs is going to be a drastically different monster. I am still of the mind that he should retire but if they do indeed get a good rushing attack and a more then average defense going then watch out.

He'd be fine in the new system, he just most likely won't be throwing up 50+ td, record breaking seasons with an insane cast of skill positions around him and thats ok..  He'll still put up decent numbers and give his team a chance every sunday with a stout defense and running game.

I agree.  I am just not feeling it for some reason.  I do not want him out there just to be out there.  

They are not keen about winning Peyton a ring? Strange opinion

Does that make sense? They brought :Peyton there to win the title..otherwise.,.they could have stayed with Tim tebow.

They are close to getting to the Super Bowl in 2015..

Its Elway's nature to go for it..all in..in truth..once they win it all..he's gone, too

Basically what I was trying to say was they were not going to base their entire organization plans hinging on Peyton's decision. They are basically trying to figure out a way where the Broncos will be less reliant on Peyton now and later for years to come. Yes, Elway will go all in but right now, I feel they are not just thinking short term with Peyton, they are also settings things up for Osweiler or whoever their future QB is.

Peyton winning another SB ring is significant for Peyton fans but to Elway, I still feel deep down he is a hired gun who gives him the best chance short term but not so much that Elway is willing to hinge his entire team make up around him. Elway's first concern is the Broncos, Peyton's fans first concern is Peyton, therein lies the difference that I was trying to highlight.

I'd agree with that for sure. I think Chad mentioned it also. Elway knows he's probably got one year left with Manning and is looking beyond that at this point. 

Isn't that smart of Elway? Even if Manning plays two more years, eventually, he's out of there. And rather than being left looking at a rebuild with only a collection of spare parts, he wants to have a team that can still be good, even without an All-World QB. I don't know why that's being treated like it's a foreign concept.

I was never of the opinion that the Broncos were only trying to load up for a short run at a SB with Manning. None of their contracts are prohibitive or difficult to navigate, and their year to year cap projections are solid. 

There is no reason why Denver cannot reposition their talent to both go for the title in 2015 and transition away from Manning. I believe it was the Denver O that let them down late in the season and in the playoff game. Making some changes may have been a year too late, actually.

Not bringing back Tamme, JT, and Welker is no great loss.

...we've all read about how Peyton Manning and the Broncos are renegotiating his contract..which calls

for $19 mil in 2015..He'll play for less this year

'

']....They are not talking to Julius Thomas..and DT Terrance Knighton has said that he probably wont be back,,,

from the way talks are going../There are no talks with Wes Welker..and Orlando Franklin may be gone too.

As will Jacob Tamme and Bubba Caldwell..who made $1 or $2 mil

So what's the money for? They need to sign Demariyus Thomas....and who?

If they shift $10 mil of Peytons money, that's about $35 mil free bucks...from what I;ve read

Other than becoming a 'farm club'; for the Raiders...what are they getting ready to do?

..any thouhgts

That's funny looks more like they are dismantling this team and making it a lot worst they are not going to do anything in 2015.

No one is saying what it is obvious. Who is the next QB going to be in Denver after Manning? Prior to Manning he had Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow. It is great that Elway wants to build a team that can run and play defense. The Jets are of that mindset, the Bills and Cowboys too ... but who is going to run this thing? How do they even feel about Osweiller? I think they have to kick the tires there given he has been in the system for three years. They said at the combine that the Broncos did not interview any QBs so they must feel good about Brock and Zac Dysert??? If I was a Broncos fan that is what I would want to know. What is the plan post-Manning as that could be upon them in a year's time ... 

I think they want to but I kind of see the last 3 years as them going for it. I think mid-season this year there was a change of philosophy and now they are going to go full board that way. Much depends on how fast they can get there, how quickly the team can adjust to its new coaching staff and Manning's performance/health. I am not sure SB aspirations are that realistic right now. Just so much change.

No chance....Its all in for 2015..That's how Elway is...and Peyton has 2 years left at best.

That's why Elway brought him to Denver....to get to the SB...

There has only been a coaching change... Its a veteran team..

Again..Manning and Elway are on the clock. I doubt Elway is a life long GM.

When they win..he's gone..

I think Suh is a out-of-the box option..and maybe Oakland's Wisniewski and GB's Bulaga in the O-line.

Maybe Owen Daniels (an old Houston-Kubiak guy) at TE

My thought is..They are clearing far more cap room than they need to sign just Demariyus Thomas

No one is saying what it is obvious. Who is the next QB going to be in Denver after Manning? Prior to Manning he had Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow. It is great that Elway wants to build a team that can run and play defense. The Jets are of that mindset, the Bills and Cowboys too ... but who is going to run this thing? How do they even feel about Osweiller? I think they have to kick the tires there given he has been in the system for three years. They said at the combine that the Broncos did not interview any QBs so they must feel good about Brock and Zac Dysert??? If I was a Broncos fan that is what I would want to know. What is the plan post-Manning as that could be upon them in a year's time ...

The next QB is Brock Osweiler..He fits Kubiak's roll put stretch run style...Kubiak says he reminds him of Joe Flacco.

remember..Elway and Kubiak are QBs..Dont buy all this 'we want to run all the time' s[in

That's funny looks more like they are dismantling this team and making it a lot worst they are not going to do anything in 2015.

It is odd..because Elway dropped 3 or 4 free agents on the roster in two or 3 days last year..

But the top free agent this year is in Detroit.....are the indside SF linebackers...Bowman and Willis free agents?

Is there anyone else you can think of?

The last two out of three years the Broncos did what in the playoffs?

Just playing the averages

seems like they went to a superbowl in there as well. Funny how you left that out. This coming from a guy that guaranteed Manning would retire after the season. How's that looking for you now?