Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Insiders Reports Grigson is "Going To Spend BIG In FA"

JPFolks

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was quoted in saying they are going to be very aggressive BUT that does not mean he will spend big on big name players. those were his words that were quoted. I personally do not think he will. we will end up with someone on their last leg and prob injury prone. that has been his track record. aside from the draft in the class of Luck, Hilton, Allen and Fleener and trading for Vontae' davis he has not been that impressive in getting players. I will be the first to admit i was against Toler but last season he looked good. 

IF and that is a big IF we can land McPhee, McCourty, and a decent CB I think we would be improved on defense a little better then what we were last year. offense for precautionary reasons with Wayne i think we should go out and get a WR. just because we can not be sure if Wayne will retire or not. wish he would decide that before FA starts. as far as RB goes, I would like to see Grigson go after Rice maybe on a 1 or 2 year deal to prove himself that he will not get into any trouble or a decent size contract with a condition of one off field incident voids his contract. and then draft IU's RB Coleman in the second round. but all of this is a dream lol

@BradWellsNFL: Don't worry. Even though both LaRon Landry and RJF were massive free agent busts, Ryan Grigson still gets to keep his job.

Brad Wells' thoughts...... for what they're worth

I still commend Grigs for trying to build our team any way possible. Draft, FA and even the CFL. I have no problem with Grigson.

I still commend Grigs for trying to build our team any way possible. Draft, FA and even the CFL. I have no problem with Grigson.

Yeah, I like Grigson too. Just was adding Brad Wells comment into the thread since the thread is about Grigson

His mindset to build a team is in the right spot, but injuries & knuckleheads have hindered this team's progression

Perhaps this is old news to twitter followers etc. but I just heard on NFL Insiders that Grigson is going big in FA.  Their responses were that is usually a losing strategy and instead you should supplement your team and fill holes with mid level players instead.  

So Two Questions: 

1. Who are 2-3 "Big" FA's you could see us going after? 

2. Do you agree with the NFL Insiders that it is a mistake to sign big name FA's who by default will be significantly overpaid?  

My answers are: 1. NONE and 2. Yes. 

Exception: If a significant opportunity on a Safety presents itself or someone like a Houston (or more appropriate Rush Backer if one is available) from KC (which I doubt) perhaps you bring in one or two guys max. We're not getting Suh and shouldn't chase a FA WR or RB in my opinion as I doubt they'd pay off.  

Your thoughts? 

Personally I think that the guys who are the supposed "top Tier" FA, get overpaid every year. It's pretty rare that they live up to their contract. Look at Jerry Hughes as an example this year. He's a top FA in a premium position as a DE. He's had back to back 10 sack seasons. Pretty good production but nowhere near being a franchise type pass rusher. Yet, he's going to get a huge contract and most likely he's going to be a 10 sack or less guy the rest of his career.

So, I think the tendency is for teams to reach for a player of need and overspend. But, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. What has to be asked by every GM is, will this guy who might get me 10 sacks be enough to get us over the hump and be a difference maker for us at say 8m yr or will the guy that gets 7.5 sack and cost 3.5m yr do us just as good?

Personally, I don't think Grigson is clearing this cap room for bringing in a crop of Big namers. Maybe 1 or 2. I think he's going to extend some contracts of players we have now that are going to cost an unbelievable amount to keep here.

When it comes to grigson, spending big does not necessarily mean we get someone of great skill.

Well we all know that he is a very poor GM. He didn't build a team from scratch that went three strait 11-4 seasons and made the AFC championship game with 49 new players on the roster. With a different GM I am sure the Colts would have won at least two super bowls by now. :violin:

I hate the tag option. Basically forcing a player to stay with you smh

For a pretty large amount of fully guaranteed salary so let's not make out the players don't get some benefit from this. The downside of course is if they have a career ending injury during the season but even then they've been paid a decent wedge.

If they play to their ability and stay injury free they're once again in the position of power in that they are even going to hit FA and command a nice big deal or they're going to get tagged for an even bigger amount. 

Do you really think Suh hasn't benefited from being tagged?

Well we all know that he is a very poor GM. He didn't build a team from scratch that went three strait 11-4 seasons and made the AFC championship game with 49 new players on the roster. With a different GM I am sure the Colts would have won at least two super bowls by now. :violin:

Like your enthusiasm. I will say that Grigson is the anti-Bill Polian. He isn't afraid to bring in guys who he thinks can help. He isn't afraid to make a trade. Like anything, you hit on some and you miss on some. The thing I like so far is that he's seemed to structure the contracts in a way that if the guy doesn't work out he can be let go without eating up a lot of cap. He so far hasn't bent over and given the world to players who are in house free agents but I have a feeling that is about the change.

With the cuts that have been made and the holes that were already in place with this team, he has no choice but to spend big. I think we grab 3-4 FA with "bigger" household names. I think, if anything, Grigs has learned his lesson on FA's with potential. We need proven guys.

T-minus 2 weeks before the fun begins

@BradWellsNFL: Don't worry. Even though both LaRon Landry and RJF were massive free agent busts, Ryan Grigson still gets to keep his job.

Brad Wells' thoughts...... for what they're worth

Massive free agent busts?  These guys got mid tier contracts.  

Besides only Landry was a real bust of the group.  RJF didn't get a lot of guaranteed money past the first year and what is sad is that people don't even understand the 2013 free agent class in context.

Here is the thing. . . Colts did overpay for guys in 2013.  But there was very little talent outside of Luck, Wayne and Mathis.  Colt's had a ton of cap space and we had to get some guys in here.  The way Grigson did that was by overpaying.  The overpaying was part of Grigson's strategy because it was better to overpay and get a little bit of talent in here then it was to just keep the cap space and have no talent around Luck again.

Remember that they had just gone 11 - 5 in 2012 but the general consensus was that they got lucky.  The Colts where outscored overall by our opponents because in the games they won they barely won by like a field goal and in the games they lost we got blown out.  So it wasn't like the Colts where seen as a destination for players that want to win. 

Indy was not seen as a place where you go to win until after the 2013 season when we swept our conference, went 11 - 5 again and won a wild card game.

*Hands You Glass of Apple Juice*

*Italian Accent* Am darling, walk with me, talk with me.... much to discuss about you being ever so kind and getting Mr. McCourty to come to indy for a reasonable price

:cheers:

haha   Yes, Colts fans seem to really want him. My gut feeling is the Pats franchise him if they don't sign him done before FA. Right now Revis is holding up all their moves as they have to get him figured out before they can work on others.  McCourty's brother came out last week and said his brother wants to retire a Patriot but we will see where the $$$ come in.

Never said he was a poor GM. Never once did I say that. He had tons of cap room so he spent a lot. But he did not get people worth the contract he signed them to. Everyone here almost to a person said that grigson over paid and complained about all the high contracts. But because we had so much cap space it didn't hurt is that badly, we had to spend a certain amount so it explains why we signed them for so much, but doesn't change the fact that he over paid for players. You cannot tell me that the people we signed played up to their contracts. Thomas, cherilus, RJF, etc. Everyone complained.

Tell me you really think grigson didn't overspend last year. That's all I read on this forum was that everyone he signed he grossly over paid for.

You think he overspent on Jones, Adams, Jackson, and Nicks? Teams overspend more often than not in free agency, but I do not believe any of those players contracts are onerous. Jones' contract was the largest and when he was playing the run defense was much better.

Never said he was a poor GM. Never once did I say that. He had tons of cap room so he spent a lot. But he did not get people worth the contract he signed them to. Everyone here almost to a person said that grigson over paid and complained about all the high contracts. But because we had so much cap space it didn't hurt is that badly, we had to spend a certain amount so it explains why we signed them for so much, but doesn't change the fact that he over paid for players. You cannot tell me that the people we signed played up to their contracts. Thomas, cherilus, RJF, etc. Everyone complained.

None of these players were that over paid. The contracts were structured not to cost the team a lot if it didn't work out. Why is it always about what Grigs that some just don't get? He will roll the dice once in a while. Not too many want to mention the players he did hit on. I guess being he hit a bunch of home runs his first year everyone expects it to be every year. All of us are well aware of the players that didn't work out but there is no GM in the NFL that gets Bingo with every pick. As Colt fans a lot fail to see and comprehend that. It's much easier to dwell on the negative because that makes for good topics to complain about.

I really have to find the analyst who said this quote, because I have a feeling I'll have to keep using it but, elite franchise players don't hit FA, unless it's pure monetary reasons. When a team releases a player that produced for them, there's always a reasoning. McCourty won't hit FA. Anyone else who does is probably past their prime, overrated, or too expensive to keep.

Remember that article. Most of Free Agency is fool's gold. We don't need any big name FA's. All that does is put you in cap hell later on, especially when you have other good players on your team to pay.

I really have to find the analyst who said this quote, because I have a feeling I'll have to keep using it but, elite franchise players don't hit FA, unless it's pure monetary reasons. When a team releases a player that produced for them, there's always a reasoning. McCourty won't hit FA. Anyone else who does is probably past their prime, overrated, or too expensive to keep.

Remember that article. Most of Free Agency is fool's gold. We don't need any big name FA's. All that does is put you in cap hell later on, especially when you have other good players on your team to pay.

Suh is worth whatever he commands, the best FA that can change this D for the better overnight.

I hate the tag option. Basically forcing a player to stay with you smh

I agree.I dont like it either.... but i also like it because if you want to keep him around and cant work out a deal you have until july to work on a deal while at the same time you can keep him for another year. he technically doesnt have to accept the tag but that means he would have to sit out the year before signing with someone else. 

That's not true at all.

Usually top notch players are not going to make it to free agency. How often does that happen? Teams are not willing to let their best players hit the market unless under unusual circumstances. Some have posted about Suh being a FA, I would be very surprised if Detroit were to let him go with little to nothing in return.

Usually top notch players are not going to make it to free agency. How often does that happen? Teams are not willing to let their best players hit the market unless under unusual circumstances. Some have posted about Suh being a FA, I would be very surprised if Detroit were to let him go with little to nothing in return.

Happens basically every year.

That's the case in the NHL because teams are able to lock up their young stars early with huge contracts, but big name free agents are out there in the NFL annually.

Some do, but they usually have a wart somewhere. They're way overpriced, they have injury history or off-field concerns, maybe they only have one good year of production, they play a non-premium position, etc. 

It's rare that a truly clean, top notch player hits the market. Sometimes, average / above average guys sign somewhere and blow up.

Some do, but they usually have a wart somewhere. They're way overpriced, they have injury history or off-field concerns, maybe they only have one good year of production, they play a non-premium position, etc. 

It's rare that a truly clean, top notch player hits the market. Sometimes, average / above average guys sign somewhere and blow up.

I think you left out (I'm nit picking you cause Im bored) one of the biggest reasons they hit the market. That being the fact that they might be at that age where their production might be expected to start tailing off. Demarcus Ware ... Julius Peppers type guys. But also now and then you get teams that just are too up against the cap to keep some players they would love to keep. SF and NO are in that spot this year. Balt after the Flacco deal ...

Why is there a sense that free agents are the answer to all the needs the Colts have? More times than not free agents are expensive band aids I call them. There is a reason that players become free agents and very few become free agents because their are great players. Most want the money because they know their playing days are getting short. It's the gamble on the lower free agents that pay off and those players are few and far between. It has always been building through the draft and always will be. Fans hear a popular name and they automatically think this players is the one needed to get us over the hump when reality tells us different. Free agents are only needed because the lack of talent needed cant be found in the draft. Each team carries 63 players counting the practice squad and that adds up to over 2,000 players. Finding the right combination is not easy and free agents are not the answer.

I think you left out (I'm nit picking you cause Im bored) one of the biggest reasons they hit the market. That being the fact that they might be at that age where their production might be expected to start tailing off. Demarcus Ware ... Julius Peppers type guys. But also now and then you get teams that just are too up against the cap to keep some players they would love to keep. SF and NO are in that spot this year. Balt after the Flacco deal ...

I wouldn't classify those guys as "top notch," though. But you're right, good players that have their own shortcomings or projected shortcomings. Dumervil is another example. 

And the moves that teams like SF and NO might make in order to keep their top notch guys -- Jimmy Graham, for instance -- will be to get rid of guys with those warts or shortcomings, or let them walk in FA. The Niners might let Iupati walk, but he plays a non-premium position, and he's only an average pass blocker. He'll probably also be overpriced. Usually, when a team really wants to keep a guy, like KC with Justin Houston, they'll do what they have to. Some of those choices are tough and painful, but when you can keep your elite playmakers, it's worth it.