Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Insiders Reports Grigson is "Going To Spend BIG In FA"

JPFolks

Perhaps this is old news to twitter followers etc. but I just heard on NFL Insiders that Grigson is going big in FA.  Their responses were that is usually a losing strategy and instead you should supplement your team and fill holes with mid level players instead.  

So Two Questions: 

1. Who are 2-3 "Big" FA's you could see us going after? 

2. Do you agree with the NFL Insiders that it is a mistake to sign big name FA's who by default will be significantly overpaid?  

My answers are: 1. NONE and 2. Yes. 

Exception: If a significant opportunity on a Safety presents itself or someone like a Houston (or more appropriate Rush Backer if one is available) from KC (which I doubt) perhaps you bring in one or two guys max. We're not getting Suh and shouldn't chase a FA WR or RB in my opinion as I doubt they'd pay off.  

Your thoughts? 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since we have all of that cash we might as well spend it.  the only caveat is the deals need to be ones that we can get out of, just like grigs has been doing lately.  the right FAs could be excatly what we need to make it to the next level. 

revis is a big name FA that could help us get there.  i know corner is not a priorty or even a need at all really, but it would turn a position of strength into one of dominance.  it probably wont happen and if i was going to bet on where he plays next year i would take NE.  if he did land here somehow, our secondary would be almost impossible to pass on.

maybe more importantly, we NEED to spend on the Dline.  there arnt enough draft picks to fix this, with rookies alone.

we could stand to bring a FA Oline man as well as draft one.

we probably cannot afford to NOT bring in a FA safety and still maybe draft one

I have a feeling we will spend big, but again not on Suh. I see Grigs targeting a couple of the following guys... Iupati or Boling, Wisneiski, Parnell, Cedric Thornton or Fairley, Dan Williams or Knighton, McPhee or Hali (hopefully) if he's cut, and Rahim "the dream" Moore or McCourty,  Also, I'm going to be the first to call it, I wont be surprised if Grigs goes after Demarco Murray. I hope he doesn't, but it wouldn't surprise me. I cant wait for free agency. You know, being all excited and hitting refresh every 30seconds, LOL.

Grigson going BIG in FA is about the worst kept secret around.

This very website has been seeing this coming for some time.

Once he officially pulled the trigger on Landry and RJF then it became little more than a Captain Obvious moment.

The questions ISN'T how much he'll spend.   He'll spend plenty.    The questions are WHO will Grigson buy and HOW MUCH will he spend?

He might not buy a single expensive players (read: $8Mill +)   But that doesn't mean he won't spend plenty.

Or....

He might only buy 4 guys, but maybe they'll be big time, big name guys that have been thrown around here?

Iupati,  Knighton,  McCourtey,   Murray.

The reason those "Insiders" say Grigson shouldn't go big as that history has shown that spending big on FA more often than not DOESN'T pay off.     The great players do NOT give you enough bang for your bucks.

Maybe Grigson is under marching orders from Irsay....   come back with big names....   Who knows?

But it will be fascinating to watch....   and we'll know in about two weeks....

Maybe it is time to go get the 2 or 3 TOP FAs.

We sure haven't got much from the Grigson strategy of the last 2 years...overpay for 5-7 average-ish players who grossly under-perform their 'comfortable' contracts, playing the games to 'not get hurt' instead of making a difference.

This past off-season we saw an arms race between NE and Denver. Both teams have great QBs and therefor, gambling in Free Agency wasn't as much of a gamble. Both NE and Denver saw improvements and were #1 and #2 in the playoffs. (Of course Manning got injured during the playoffs, but a case can be made that the off-season additions made a positive impact). We saw what happened for NE.

Historically, teams that have gone big in FA have not had great QBs. (Eagles dream team). I think with Luck, we should pursue some big-time Free Agents.

He's also had some success. Even when he has "failed" it has not cost the Colts much.

Yeah, I don't really understand the measure against which you'd say Grigson failed in FA. Every team that signs FAs has some bad deals and players that don't get it done. But most of them are stuck in huge contracts and blew a ton of cap space. People are huffy about $5.5m for RJF or $6m for Landry, imagine $7m for Ellerbe or $7.8m for Levitre (both of whom were popular targets around here two years ago).

Yeah, I don't really understand the measure against which you'd say Grigson failed in FA. Every team that signs FAs has some bad deals and players that don't get it done. But most of them are stuck in huge contracts and blew a ton of cap space. People are huffy about $5.5m for RJF or $6m for Landry, imagine $7m for Ellerbe or $7.8m for Levitre (both of whom were popular targets around here two years ago).

Imagine making a one year wonder RT with a degenerative knee injury the highest paid player ever at his position.

Grigs has already shown he is not Bill Polian. So of course he is going to go big in free agency just like he has done the last few years

People are complaining that Grigson hasn't gone Big Enough.    They complain that he has overspent for average players.

They'd prefer he over spend for popular big name players.

Of course the real bottom line is this:   Fans complain simply based on whether it was a good deal or not.  Doesn't matter if the player was a big name or an average name.    If the player performs well,  then it's a good deal.   And if not,  then it's a bad deal.

Imagine making a one year wonder RT with a degenerative knee injury the highest paid player ever at his position.

It's my understanding that most of Cherilus' problems this year were his shoulder and not his knee.   It's the injury his season ended on.

And before Grigson can sign a guy,  his knee has to get cleared by team doctors.

No clearance,  no contract.

Free agent deals are hit and miss. The players are almost all flawed, usually with injury history. These players were not great, but they filled the gaps.

Even Cherilus' contract was more team friendly than Levitre's, if not for the 50% Down error.

We haven't really spent big on FA. We haven't landed marquee guys in a good while.

I don't want anything crazy. Give me Mccourty and Wisniewski the center from Oakland to anchor our line and protect Luck better and make the calls for the line and I'll be happy.

Suh is a pipe dream

Free agent deals are hit and miss. The players are almost all flawed, usually with injury history. These players were not great, but they filled the gaps.

Even Cherilus' contract was more team friendly than Levitre's, if not for the 50% Down error.

Overall I think Grigson has done a good job in FA. He's swung and missed on a few but he structured the contracts in a way that it didn't cost a lot to get rid of these guys. He's had a few guys pan out. Overall Grigson has done pretty decent with draft, FA, contracts.

@BradWellsNFL: Don't worry. Even though both LaRon Landry and RJF were massive free agent busts, Ryan Grigson still gets to keep his job.

Brad Wells' thoughts...... for what they're worth

Grigson was never in jeopardy of losing his job. Landry and RJF might have not done as well as expected but to say Grigsons might be facing being fired is silly at best.

Overall I think Grigson has done a good job in FA. He's swung and missed on a few but he structured the contracts in a way that it didn't cost a lot to get rid of these guys. He's had a few guys pan out. Overall Grigson has done pretty decent with draft, FA, contracts.

Please, that don't fit into the consensus that Grigson don't know what he is doing. It is a well known fact that most think they can sit at their computers and do a better job. After all, great players grow on trees and all you have to do is pick one or two off. There's nothing to it.

This past off-season we saw an arms race between NE and Denver. Both teams have great QBs and therefor, gambling in Free Agency wasn't as much of a gamble. Both NE and Denver saw improvements and were #1 and #2 in the playoffs. (Of course Manning got injured during the playoffs, but a case can be made that the off-season additions made a positive impact). We saw what happened for NE.

Historically, teams that have gone big in FA have not had great QBs. (Eagles dream team). I think with Luck, we should pursue some big-time Free Agents.

To your point, if the Colts want to get closer to the top two teams in the AFC then they have to add some muscle. As with everything, it is not what you spend but who you add and the value they bring to your team and locker room.

To your point, if the Colts want to get closer to the top two teams in the AFC then they have to add some muscle. As with everything, it is not what you spend but who you add and the value they bring to your team and locker room.

*Hands You Glass of Apple Juice*

*Italian Accent* Am darling, walk with me, talk with me.... much to discuss about you being ever so kind and getting Mr. McCourty to come to indy for a reasonable price

:cheers: