Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade back to San Fran's 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

With our first second rounder we select Michael Bennett DE/DT

Nfl comparison: Michael Bennett (seattle) no pun intended

With our second round pick we select Cameron Erving C/G/T FSU

Nfl comparison: Rodger Saffold (LA/St.louis rams)

We move up in the third round by sending our seventh to go up 5 spots to atlanta and select Paul Dawson TCU OLB/ILB

Lavonte David (tampa)

With our other third rounder we select Kurtis Drummond FS Michigan State

Nfl comparison: Malcolm Jenkins(philly)

In the fourth rounder we select David Cobb RB 

nfl comparison: Matt Forte (chicago)

Other pick in the fourth round we trade up 10 spots sending a sixth we select Justin Hardy East Carolina WR

In the fifth round the colts select Hayes Pullard ILB SC

In the sixth  we select Connor Holliday QB 

Comparison: Derek Carr (oakland) he falls due to a nasty injuiry

And rumors are that there are character concerns with Dawson. Also a questionable motor. Replace him with Nate Orchard

I read in one place something about character concerns with Dawson. I went on a search for something to substantiate that idea, and haven't found anything. Do you have something that expounds on these so-called character concerns for him?

Also, I like Nate Orchard, but they are completely different players. 

Paul Dawson is a 4-3 WILL in my opinion. We already have undersized inside linebackers for a 3-4 that get run over, do we want more?

Our ILBs don't get run over, they get blocked out of plays because the DL doesn't handle assignments properly. It doesn't matter who your ILBs are if the DL isn't playing sound football, unless you have a nosey guy who has the athleticism and instincts to get around the football. I think Dawson does.

More importantly, he has the ability to cover corners and slot receivers in short areas, in the red zone, etc., and the range to run with crossing receivers in the middle of the field. As a nickel backer, he'd be a good fit.

It would take some tweaks to our defense, and better play from the DL, but I think Dawson could be a very good every down backer for us. I'm not very worried about his size at all.

I read in one place something about character concerns with Dawson. I went on a search for something to substantiate that idea, and haven't found anything. Do you have something that expounds on these so-called character concerns for him?

Also, I like Nate Orchard, but they are completely different players.

It was on one of the popular scouting sites. I think it was with his attitude. I'll look it up when I get home. But like Boiler_Colt said, I think he's a 4-3 WILL too. Scouts have said he compares to Lavonte David. Orchard is a different player you're right, but in a good way. He's the most complete OLB in the draft. He's just not an elite pass rusher. But he sets the edge and can drop into coverage.

It was on one of the popular scouting sites. I think it was with his attitude. I'll look it up when I get home. But like Boiler_Colt said, I think he's a 4-3 WILL too. Scouts have said he compares to Lavonte David. Orchard is a different player you're right, but in a good way. He's the most complete OLB in the draft. He's just not an elite pass rusher. But he sets the edge and can drop into coverage.

That's another thing, Orchard is unlikely to be there at #24 in the third round. Maybe not an elite pass rusher, but he had 18 sacks last season. He'll probably have a great combine, and all told, I think he goes somewhere between 30-40. 

Back to Dawson, I understand the Lavonte David comparison, and he would be a great fit at Will in a 4-3. I just think he can play Will in our front, also, and I'm not as worried about his size as others are. He'd provide the coverage ability that we need at ILB, and he's shown the ability to get himself to the ball carrier and finish plays. I think he'd be fine.

Last thing, we probably read the same thing about Dawson's character. I'll be anxious to see whether there's any truth to that, or if someone is just starting a rumor. 

Paul Dawson looks tremendous to me. I think we'd have to get him in the second and I'd be ecstatic if we did. If he compares to Lavonte David I don't see how that's a problem just because David plays in a 4-3. Good football players make plays regardless of scheme. Dawson would be a nice compliment to what I believe Andrew Jackson will bring to the table in the future.