Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We could have had LeGarette Blount

Caffrey

As I remember, after Bradshaw went down, there was 2 FA RB's available that was being considered; L. Blount and Ben Take.  I was hoping we'd take a chance and sign Blount.

It would've reminded me of my favorite baseball team, SF Giants signing of OF Cody Ross a few years ago, primarily to keep the 1st place SD Padres from signing him.  Besides keeping him out of SD, Ross went on to play big for the Giants as the caught the Padres, he won the NLCS MVP enroute to the 1st of 3 World Series Championships.

Back to Blount, if we had him, the Pats would not,  They now talk about Blount like his is what Trent Richardson was fantasized to be for us.  No one talks about his off field issues when he produces.  He would have given us a nice combo RB with Herron as a big big back with good quickness and moves we never had.  Belichick again looks like a genius in getting Blount for nothing and we give up a #1 for bust Richardson.

When he left Pittsburgh (let go)

He was being a major head case

If you believe what was written, he has a me first mentality

Probably not what the Colts thought they needed at the time

The reality is, that "No Name" Running backs do well behind the line in New England

This is something that we should realize.......

If we want to run the ball..... We need much better OL play, just a fact

In hindsight, it would have been good to pick him up just so the Pats couldn't.

But they would have found some grocery bagger or insurance salesman and he still would have gained 150 yards against us.

Exactly.  Defense personnel could get to him but they didn't tackle him as it looked like they were trying to shoulder or chest tackle.  He was strong enough to move the pile or get away.

I would've taken him in a heartbeat, if for nothing else to keep him away from NE. 

He would've improved our run game with the simple fact that he's big, elusive, runs hard and has to be respected. If he can play and doesn't go totally mental while doing it, I'll take him. It's about winning, not about having model citizens. 

Venturi has the same thoughts and he thought we were foolish not to pick him up.

if trent went to ne he would probably had ran for 150 and 4 tds we he faced us

Probably right.  That is, after all, why Trent kept saying he was such a good player.  He was practicing against our defense.  He might even have probable cause for a lawsuit on the grounds of deception.

In hindsight, it would have been good to pick him up just so the Pats couldn't.

But they would have found some grocery bagger or insurance salesman and he still would have gained 150 yards against us.

^^^^   This   ^^^

Blount would not have performed behind our line.  We need small shifty and quick (not fast necessarily but helpful) guy that can 'get skinny' and slip through the miniscule holes we sometimes make and accelerate into the second level. From there make people miss.  Blount would just take a roster spot, and maybe mope on our sideline.. But at least BB wouldn't have him.  Unfortunately, how it worked out was likely the only way it would work out, much to my chagrin.

^^^^ This ^^^

Blount would not have performed behind our line. We need small shifty and quick (not fast necessarily but helpful) guy that can 'get skinny' and slip through the miniscule holes we sometimes make and accelerate into the second level. From there make people miss. Blount would just take a roster spot, and maybe mope on our sideline.. But at least BB wouldn't have him. Unfortunately, how it worked out was likely the only way it would work out, much to my chagrin.

Blount is exactly what you described. Aside from small.

Blount is exactly what you described. Aside from small.

Yes, if he was smaller, and we knew he wouldn't mope on the sideline until he finally got to go back to the Pats, then he might have worked.  But here he needs to be Donald Brown sized (5'10' 210 instead of 6'0" 250) as Brown himself barely snuck through tiny holes to break into the open for his bigger runs that made people here want to keep him.  Sproles sounds good...  or another like him.  But we want to be power run team.   Sigh....

What we SHOULD have done was take Blount when he was available.  Then leave Trent wrapped in a blanket on the steps of Gillette  stadium for Brady to find.  Unfortunately we (meaning the Colts) were stubbornly attached to Trent until the bitter end.

So T Rich was not benched? He was not deactivated? He was not suspended? At this point T Rich is old news, move on.

So T Rich was not benched? He was not deactivated? He was not suspended? At this point T Rich is old news, move on.

When was he benched, smarty pants?  Before Blount was available?  NO.  He wasn't benched until the bitter end.  There is a thing called a clue, perhaps get one before you put your foot in your mouth again.

Just an FYI, Blount was signed by NE on 11/24, while we were still playing with Trent and MOST of us could see the writing on the wall.  You obviously missed the obvious.

Did you all forget Blount juking several Colts out of their shoes when we played them? Guy has size and moves, and enough speed to get away from the 2nd level. I am not getting into "coulda woulda shoulda" stuff bc what's done is done. But don't think for a second he wouldn't have run well behind our line. Boom was running better in the playoffs. Blount may not have run like he does for NE, but he would have been solid. But I still don't like his attitude...

When was he benched, smarty pants?  Before Blount was available?  NO.  He wasn't benched until the bitter end.  There is a thing called a clue, perhaps get one before you put your foot in your mouth again.

Just an FYI, Blount was signed by NE on 11/24, while we were still playing with Trent and MOST of us could see the writing on the wall.  You obviously missed the obvious.

The only thing obvious is your non stop complaining. Your negativity shines too bright.

Blount been in the league too long for waivers huh?

Both Blount and tate went through waivers and it was the same week. Colts put a waiver claim on tate but so did the Vikings and they got him because they were higher on the waiver list at that time.

When Blount forced the issue for his ouster in Pittsburgh, I thought the same thing- do something Grigson! I do not want to see this clown running roughshod over our defense again. It's pretty much obvious now that collusion was going on with New England and him.

Perhaps Indy or another team did, in fact, put feelers out there for Blount, but word spread he wanted to go back to being handed off deflated footballs again.

You think Blount would have came in and saved the day do you? Great insight to the problems this team needs to solve. Ever heard of a kid from Notre Dame named Jonas Gray?

I initially had mentioned RB Gray as the other RB we would still have to stop, who ran over us in the regular season but decided to leave it off, so I was aware of this.  Knowing what happened, I'd trade going against Gray over Blount, don't think it would be any worse for us.  If Blount contributed anything for us, it would have been gravy.  He surely would not do anything for the Pats if we signed him.  We also could have moved/swayed him into the Colt family atmosphere and buy into our monster building for next year.  I seen one expert that predicted he would be the Super Bowl MVP.  We are so good, especially at RB, we don't/didn't want this guy?  Unfortunate Grigson mistake.

Who's to say he wanted to play for the Colts? He could've come in for a workout and went to NE anyway.

Until a waived player clears waivers, they  aren't a FA.  Any team can put in a waiver claim on a player and take on the player and his current contract -- the player has no say in the matter.  If multiple teams put in waiver claims then the team highest in draft order receives the player.  The Colts were higher in the draft order than the Patriots and thus would have received Blount before the Patriots.   Apparently no team ahead of the Patriots put in a waiver claim on him.

At least that's how I think it works.  I'll admit I was too lazy to look it up before posting.