Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Refs to use new Signal to show when eligible player is declared ineligible

ColtsBlueFL

Pete Carrol isshowing his own coaching smarts!  He saw the Nate Solder play and called Blandino immediately after.  Seems Cameron Fleming reported eligible the previous play, then returned to ineligible on the next without sitting out a play first.  This is an illegal substitution, a violation that the refs missed and the TD should have been disallowed.  Dean Blandino admits that now.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/30/head-officiating-nate-solder-should-not-have-counted/K6QymTsPtcR8t1fOa3U80I/story.html

While in discussion there were other substitution plays discussed and Pete was able to get the referees to add a new signal for the Super Bowl (and I'll bet a tweaked version next year) to get in fro of and declare a player that is typically eligible number is now ineligible, they're going to declare him so by crossing their arms at knee level near that player.  I heard reports that it will look like the official is doing the 'Charlseton' dance.  :-)

So the officials will allow extra time for the D to identify and realign coverage on those sneaky formations the Pats use that confuse to the level they get away with an illegal TD (the Nate Solder/Cameron Fleming play(s)

I'll bet this will be better tweaked by the rules amendment next year.  I was told by some Pats fans it will not be touched and go away, but it appears they found a way to address it in the Super Bowl without a rules change (because they can't), but next year they can re-write the rule with more controls in place.  I'll bet they do too.  Time will tell.

And I'll bet the Pats had no plans on using that formation at all in this game, but nice to see Pete is spending time prepping for it.

The big thing is, they will now report players that are going eligible to ineligible, and vice versa.  Both ways every time. With actual physical signals on field for/at said player(s). Not just a quick PA announcement (IE: 34 ineligible, don't cover him) and then have the D be caught looking around for #34 as the ball is snapped into play.  And that will alert any official if a player tries to stay on the field and doesn't re-report, it will result in a penalty and not a gift TD like what happened in the Colts game (the Nate Solder TD).

The next big thing is, there will be no deflated balls, The 54 balls the Pats use in the game will all be at least 12.5 psi or more.  Just like the 54 the Seahawks will have. And no chance for monkey business on them.  {tongue in cheek}

Pete Carrol isshowing his own coaching smarts!  He saw the Nate Solder play and called Blandino immediately after.  Seems Cameron Fleming reported eligible the previous play, then returned to ineligible on the next without sitting out a play first.  This is an illegal substitution, a violation that the refs missed and the TD should have been disallowed.  Dean Blandino admits that now.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/30/head-officiating-nate-solder-should-not-have-counted/K6QymTsPtcR8t1fOa3U80I/story.html

While in discussion there were other substitution plays discussed and Pete was able to get the referees to add a new signal for the Super Bowl (and I'll bet a tweaked version next year) to get in fro of and declare a player that is typically eligible number is now ineligible, they're going to declare him so by crossing their arms at knee level near that player.  I heard reports that it will look like the official is doing the 'Charlseton' dance.  :-)

So the officials will allow extra time for the D to identify and realign coverage on those sneaky formations the Pats use that confuse to the level they get away with an illegal TD (the Nate Solder/Cameron Fleming play(s)

I'll bet this will be better tweaked by the rules amendment next year.  I was told by some Pats fans it will not be touched and go away, but it appears they found a way to address it in the Super Bowl without a rules change (because they can't), but next year they can re-write the rule with more controls in place.  I'll bet they do too.  Time will tell.

it wont matter...BB and Krafty's motto is "rules are made to be broken"

The big thing is, they will now report players that are going eligible to ineligible, and vice versa.  Both ways every time. With actual physical signals on field for/at said player(s). Not just a quick PA announcement (IE: 34 ineligible, don't cover him) and then have the D be caught looking around for #34 as the ball is snapped into play.  And that will alert any official if a player tries to stay on the field and doesn't re-report, it will result in a penalty and not a gift TD like what happened in the Colts game (the Nate Solder TD).

The next big thing is, there will be no deflated balls, The 54 balls the Pats use in the game will all be at least 12.5 psi or more.  Just like the 54 the Seahawks will have. And no chance for monkey business on them.  {tongue in cheek}

Like I said, I doubt the Pats have any of these plays in the game plan. They served their purpose against the Ravens, and now, as we can see, they have consumed game-plan time from the Seahawks and may have them looking for things that aren't there when they line up. Mission accomplished.

And I'll bet the Pats had no plans on using that formation at all in this game, but nice to see Pete is spending time prepping for it.

not as much time as bill has dedicated to the effects of footballs in different temperatures and atmospheric pressure

not as much time as bill has dedicated to the effects of footballs in different temperatures and atmospheric pressure

Fortunately, Bill was able to spend a good deal of the week prior to the AFC Championship game working on Seattle, given they effectively were given a bye week.

Fortunately, Bill was able to spend a good deal of the week prior to the AFC Championship game working on Seattle, given they effectively were given a bye week.

Yeah he's a genius. Deflate your own balls... game plan for your next opponent.

In other news...."Mayweather Trains for Next Opponent, after Deciding to go Bare Knuckled against Pacquio."

So by adopting this new signal and changes for next season, the NFL has pretty much acknowledged that Bellichick looked for gaping holes in the way that the rules were currently being enforced.

That attitude is better defined as being closer to fraud, rather than competition or gamesmanship. 

So by adopting this new signal and changes for next season, the NFL has pretty much acknowledged that Bellichick looked for gaping holes in the way that the rules were currently being enforced.

That attitude is better defined as being closer to fraud, rather than competition or gamesmanship. 

That's what all jealous people who weren't smart enough to think of it themselves say. Seriously - it sounds real whiny and sour grapes-filled to be complaining about legal plays. So what if they change the rule? They change a lot of rules every year.

That's what all jealous people who weren't smart enough to think of it themselves say. Seriously - it sounds real whiny and sour grapes-filled to be complaining about legal plays. So what if they change the rule? They change a lot of rules every year.

I think they're changing the rules because they were caught cheating.

but yet they knew nothing about balls being property inflated.

There won't be a new signal.  The same procedure used in the conference championship will be followed.  

Gotta say, I love the Colts and appreciate a lot of the people on this site but some of you can be embarrassing with this anti-Patriots garbage.  Newsflash: they were the better team this year, they were the better team for most of the Manning years, and the controversies around them are overblown and perpetuated by butthurt fans and crybaby players (see Ravens).  I think its fine to "hate" your favorite team's nemesis but the lengths this forum will go to is sad.  Jilted ex level stuff.

There won't be a new signal.  The same procedure used in the conference championship will be followed.  

Gotta say, I love the Colts and appreciate a lot of the people on this site but some of you can be embarrassing with this anti-Patriots garbage.  Newsflash: they were the better team this year, they were the better team for most of the Manning years, and the controversies around them are overblown and perpetuated by butthurt fans and crybaby players (see Ravens).  I think its fine to "hate" your favorite team's nemesis but the lengths this forum will go to is sad.  Jilted ex level stuff.

Did you get that answer in a covert operation?  :)

Like I said, I doubt the Pats have any of these plays in the game plan. They served their purpose against the Ravens, and now, as we can see, they have consumed game-plan time from the Seahawks and may have them looking for things that aren't there when they line up. Mission accomplished.

I have a feeling both teams are cooking up some home recipe trick plays and each will not be afraid to use them. Preparing your team to be disciplined and stay focused and be on the ready is key, not necessarily how to defense a single trick formation.

Here, let me get me long pointy needle out to burst that bubble-

Quote from Pete Carroll when told Refs would create a new signal to identify who IS and who ISN'T eligible-

"We made a call and asked about that. They came back with a very clear response," Carroll said. "They're going to have a new signal that designates when a player is, with an ineligible number, will be eligible -- that's the same -- but when an eligible number is now ineligible, they're going to make new a declaration to the players on the field, so that you'll clearly identify that. I know the league is absolutely committed to getting that right and doing that well. The Patriots have brought that to the forefront, because they've been using some stuff like that lately"

Video clip and full text here-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000465143/article/blandino-refs-signaled-ineligible-players-in-afc-title

Whoah... hold the bus...

EDIT: now it appears Carroll got it wrong, so I wonder was was talked about on that phone call?

Did you get that answer in a covert operation?   :)

Nah,   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/confusion-continues-about-refs-signaling-patriots-ineligible-receivers/

It looks like a misunderstanding that has created some confusion.  The rest of my post was just a childish internet vent.  Honestly, I just get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.  A lot of the patriots bashing seems misinformed and petty.  None of my business really.

As for the screen name http://www.amazon.com/Covert-My-Years-Infiltrating-Mob/dp/1402754434

Bob Delaney's undercover name when infiltrating the mob.  The ridiculousness of giving that surname to someone undercover always made me laugh.

Nah,   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/confusion-continues-about-refs-signaling-patriots-ineligible-receivers/

It looks like a misunderstanding that has created some confusion.  The rest of my post was just a childish internet vent.  Honestly, I just get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.  A lot of the patriots bashing seems misinformed and petty.  None of my business really.

As for the screen name http://www.amazon.com/Covert-My-Years-Infiltrating-Mob/dp/1402754434

Bob Delaney's undercover name when infiltrating the mob.  The ridiculousness of giving that surname to someone undercover always made me laugh.

I am tired of ll of it too...trying to have some fun now.  :)  

Hmmm... so Carroll got it wrong after a long phone call with the league...   I see.  This is bad journalism and bad info given to an opposing coach.  I do not like how the league is handling any of this right now.  I'm not even sure I trust the Wells investigation team at this point.  I'm going to have to search out the Rachel Nichols grilling of Roger Gooddell now...

Ah yes, further checking sees where it occurred.  Carroll was thinking the way Vinovich did the Ravens game was the way he was going to do the Super Bowl.  Then Blandino said no, Vinovich is now going to do it like Walt Anderson did the AFCCG.

“So the signal is basically what occurred during the AFC championship game,” Blandino said. “Walt Anderson, the referee, he pointed at the player, was No. 47 (Michael Hoomanawanui), he waved his arms like an incomplete pass signal and then pointed at the player again while making an announcement. So that will be the mechanic. It’s exactly what we did during the AFC championship game. Indianapolis, the defense could recognize the player was ineligible so that’s what Bill will follow when we have the game on Sunday.”

But the refs still have to watch out for the player that reports one way in a play, then stays in and reverts without sitting out a down.  My mistake Believing a head Coach of a Super Bowl team.  But at least there will be a protocol followed that points out the player(s) before the ball is placed for play.  So now it appears we'll have yet another point of emphasis  next year.  Sheesh.

Poor Pete Carroll, so much for that 'very clear response' eh?

And just for the record...I'm more of a Values fan than a colts fan. Because of implications.

Like many associations, the NFL won't operate well unless there is homogeneity of standards that are followed by everyone. Otherwise, too much time has to be spent keeping the ones who don't share the standards in line with the others. Its a simple formula for an association to succeed. The outliers need to conform or get pushed out. Its as simple as that.

It has nothing to do with who is a fan of what team, or who lost a football game on any given day. See the big picture....and how much time and money would have to be spent on policing every member of an association who immediately and constantly try to screw over other members...under the guise of "competition."

I'm happy about that, those deflated balls were a handicap for the Pats.. once the refs identified them and properly inflated them back to 12.5, the Pats offense started humming again.

Thats a good idea for the eligible/ineligible.  I doubt the Pats will use any of those plays at all, but they're still effective because the Seahawks had to spend time during practice learning about them and preparing, which results in less time they have preparing in other areas.

I'm happy about that, those deflated balls were a handicap for the Pats.. once the refs identified them and properly inflated them back to 12.5, the Pats offense started humming again.

Thats a good idea for the eligible/ineligible. I doubt the Pats will use any of those plays at all, but they're still effective because the Seahawks had to spend time during practice learning about them and preparing, which results in less time they have preparing in other areas.

and the pats had to spend a week explaining under inflated balls. It worked itself out

You're a riot..

They devised some plays to cause confusion on the defense and it worked.  Its no different than when Miami used the Wild Cat for the first time in NFL history against the Patriots and bamboozled them for like 250 yards.

They spent time practicing those plays and executed them in the playoffs when it counted.  Thats what football is all about, catching the other team off guard and taking advantage of it.

I guess any team that runs a Wild Cat, Read Option, Play Action, Fake Punt/FG or an onside kick should all be defined as frauds rather than competitive gamesmanship right?  Or is it only when the Patriots are able to successfully confuse a defense that you're so outraged by it?  I'm thinking the latter.

Hmmm... so Carroll got it wrong after a long phone call with the league...   I see.  This is bad journalism and bad info given to an opposing coach.  I do not like how the league is handling any of this right now.  I'm not even sure I trust the Wells investigation team at this point.  I'm going to have to search out the Rachel Nichols grilling of Roger Gooddell now...

Journalism is dead at the NFL level...  its been dead for awhile, but these last 2 weeks have just further emphasized that fact.  Reporters use to have to get 2-3 credible sources before they could even get an article in to their editor, but nowadays "journalists" can write an article about ANYTHING, with nothing but conjecture and then perpetuate that over social media while they monitor the numbers of "trending" topics etc...

I would call it being clever

It has nothing to do with who is a fan of what team, or who lost a football game on any given day. See the big picture....and how much time and money would have to be spent on policing every member of an association who immediately and constantly try to screw over other members...under the guise of "competition."

I'd be absolutely fascinated to hear your opinions on what the Dolphins did when they used the Wild Cat formation to curb stomp the Patriots several years ago. 

I would bet everything I own that you were not posting anything like you are now, about how its against NFL etiquette and values.

and the pats had to spend a week explaining under inflated balls. It worked itself out

No it didn't because what the Patriots did with their formations was 100% legal.. and if they're proven innocent in this deflategate joke of a story, then that means they were put at a competitive disadvantage having to spend time and resources defending a ridiculous accusation that has never been brought up in the last 100 years of football.

I played football, never once did we pay attention to or focus on PSI in the balls.  Numerous players have all said the same thing, in their 15+ years of playing football they've never once thought about the pressure in the ball or cared, and they still don't care.  This is just a perfect example of where we are as a society and how out of control powerful the media has become, because they can take ANYTHING and run with it, making it go viral with social media like Twitter and Facebook, and they don't need to have evidence, sources or anything.

Anything to drive ratings, anything to keep people clicking on your articles and turning your news channel on the TV... its all about generating the traffic that drives their money machine and it worked perfectly.

That is one of the biggest piles of horse dung I have read in a long time. Mission accomplished? What a joke.

No it didn't because what the Patriots did with their formations was 100% legal.. and if they're proven innocent in this deflategate joke of a story, then that means they were put at a competitive disadvantage having to spend time and resources defending a ridiculous accusation that has never been brought up in the last 100 years of football.

I played football, never once did we pay attention to or focus on PSI in the balls.  Numerous players have all said the same thing, in their 15+ years of playing football they've never once thought about the pressure in the ball or cared, and they still don't care.  This is just a perfect example of where we are as a society and how out of control powerful the media has become, because they can take ANYTHING and run with it, making it go viral with social media like Twitter and Facebook, and they don't need to have evidence, sources or anything.

Anything to drive ratings, anything to keep people clicking on your articles and turning your news channel on the TV... its all about generating the traffic that drives their money machine and it worked perfectly.

You didn't need to pay attention to underinflated footballs because you took it for granted the playing field was legal and even. You seem to never stop trying to deflect the facts. The facts are 11 underinflated footballs for the Patriots and 0 (that is zero) underinflated footballs for the Colts. So now your blaming society? What a huge pile of horse dung.