Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blandino has football safegaurd process in place for Super Bowl

ColtsBlueFL

Dean Blandino outlines how the NFL will prep, check and secure over 100 game balls that will be used in the Super Bowl on Sunday

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2015/01/29/super-bowl-xlix-footballs-dean-blandino-deflategate-procedure-patriots-seahawks/22548393/

I'll bet new rules will be put in place next year as well.  Patriots are rewriting the rulebook for 2015!!  I count at least 3 issues the competition committee will address because of things that occurred in Patriots games this year.

I guess its the norm. Alot of them get donated to charity afterwards. 

I always thought the norm was 12 balls before the game.  I don't know why they would make it different for the Super Bowl.  What are the chances 12 balls all have some sort of problem in the span of one game?

The NFL is all about money.  While they probably donate some, I'm sure they'll put a lot of them up for auction to make money

I always thought the norm was 12 balls before the game.  I don't know why they would make it different for the Super Bowl.  What are the chances 12 balls all have some sort of problem in the span of one game?

The NFL is all about money.  While they probably donate some, I'm sure they'll put a lot of them up for auction to make money

I read somewhere today that the reason for so many footballs for Super Bowl is that very reason ~ to auction off later as a Super Bowl used game ball. I will try to find the link.

Dean Blandino answers-

"The thing with the Super Bowl is during the first half, we rotate footballs in as much as possible, because then those balls are used for charity and NFL auction," said Dean Blandino, the league's vice president of officiating.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2015/01/29/super-bowl-xlix-footballs-dean-blandino-deflategate-procedure-patriots-seahawks/22548393/

Dean Blandino answers-

"The thing with the Super Bowl is during the first half, we rotate footballs in as much as possible, because then those balls are used for charity and NFL auction," said Dean Blandino, the league's vice president of officiating.

Yeah, I figured as much.  Interesting how they only do it in the first half