Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those who subscribe to PFF or PFO...

OK stat geeks....   what doe the stats say about Seattle CB Byron Maxwell??

Turns out he's a FA after Sunday.     So, since he plays press corner, I thought he'd fit into our system.

But, because he's coming from a two time participant in the SB, I don't think he could be had for what we paid Toler, which was   3/$13.5  (4.5 per)...    I'm thinking more like $5 or $5.5 per.   Just a WAG....

Here's his stat profile....

http://www.nfl.com/player/byronmaxwell/2495310/profile

So,  what do the stats say?   Is he any good, or not?

PFF

#33 of 70 of CB who have played at least 50% of snaps (#45 of 108 of CBs who have played at least 25% of snaps)

Snaps: 717

overall:  -0.2

rush: -0.2

cov.:  +0.8

run:  -0.9

pen.: +0.1

QB sk:  0

QB ht:  0

Qb hu:  1

Tackles: 39

Thown at: 71

rec: 45

yds: 567

yds avg: 12.6

YAC: 131

TDs Allowed: 1

Ints: 2

PD: 7

For comparison sake he is tied at #33 of 70 (of players with at least 50% of snaps)  with Antonio Cromartie ARZ as far as grades are concerned ... except A Cromartie has 1012 snaps so his yds etc are different.

A closer comparison by snap count:

#31 (of 70) Adam Jones  789 snaps

#32 (of 70) Patrick Robinson  624 snaps

#46 (of 70) Darius Butler  625 snaps

Esmort, you are a good man!!

Thanks so much for the 411!    Always appreciate this.

He sounds like a solid player.   And it also sounds like he grades out much higher than Toler.....

Hmmm......

Esmort, you are a good man!!

Thanks so much for the 411!    Always appreciate this.

He sounds like a solid player.   And it also sounds like he grades out much higher than Toler.....

Hmmm......

No problem ... 

Toler ranks 64 (out of 70) ... but I don't think I agree with that ranking ... if you sort by # of times thrown at Toler is #9 so he is being thrown at a lot. Then if sort by % he allows caught he ranks #21 @ 57.6% (thrown at 99 times in 984 snaps), thats slightly better than Talib #23 @ 57.9% (thrown at 95 times in 934 snaps)

I think you have to put some sort of context it to decide how Maxwell stacks up ... all depends on how you choose to look at the numbers. Toler gets thrown at a lot because QBs just do not like throwing at Vontae ... Hes ranked highly (#2 overall; #1 at % allowed caught 43.7%) no matter how you sort the CBs.

No problem ... 

Toler ranks 64 (out of 70) ... but I don't think I agree with that ranking ... if you sort by # of times thrown at Toler is #9 so he is being thrown at a lot. Then if sort by % he allows caught he ranks #21 @ 57.6% (thrown at 99 times in 984 snaps), thats slightly better than Talib #23 @ 57.9% (thrown at 95 times in 934 snaps)

I think you have to put some sort of context it to decide how Maxwell stacks up ... all depends on how you choose to look at the numbers. Toler gets thrown at a lot because QBs just do not like throwing at Vontae ... Hes ranked highly (#2 overall; #1 at % allowed caught 43.7%) no matter how you sort the CBs.

This and another thing I want to point out is that I believe Maxwell leads the league in PI calls.  

If we want to improve at the #2 CB position, I'd rather do it through the draft.  But honestly CB seems to be something rather low on our list.   

This and another thing I want to point out is that I believe Maxwell leads the league in PI calls.  

If we want to improve at the #2 CB position, I'd rather do it through the draft.  But honestly CB seems to be something rather low on our list.   

Yup. We could draft a guy and let him play a nickel/dime role in 2015, then move outside to take Toler's place in 2016. 

Avoid that site...    it is nonsense....      

Money grab...    

Turns out he's a FA after Sunday.     So, since he plays press corner, I thought he'd fit into our system.

But, because he's coming from a two time participant in the SB, I don't think he could be had for what we paid Toler, which was   3/$13.5  (4.5 per)...    I'm thinking more like $5 or $5.5 per.   Just a WAG....

My eyeballs tell me that Seattle has the 2 best S's in the NFL and one of the best CB's (Sherman), and a really stellar pass rush.

SO....     any CB on that team is going to look ... "really good" ...    

Stay away.     Indy's issues are with the rush.   Get a big rush going and and our CB's will be BETTER than they already are.

This draft has to be all about PASS RUSH and a RB.

..........  and sign Suh?    one can dream?

D Butler has been a very good player for Indy.in the slot...  and he is still quite young.  

I think Indy will keep him.        Honestly...   this team has NO FA that is a MUST KEEP.    not one. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a cornerback drafted.  Especially with Butler being a Free Agent.

He could end up going the Bethea route even though most of us expect him back.