Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we agree now that cold weather SBs are a bad idea?

oldunclemark

Checking how specatcular weather has been in Arizona and what a dark-side-of-the-moon disaster a Super Bowl

in Noston or NY would have been this year..

..can we end all cold weather SBs after the potential nightmare in Minnesota in 3 years?

You can play in semi-cold places (Indy, St. Louis) in a dome but 2 weeks in Minnesota in February is inlate Janaury is an idea that should have been born dead

How would they get to the stadium when the airports canceled flights, interstates were closed.

You watch the SB in the airport in bar lounges on a big screen TV, the hotel lobby, your room, or your iphone. The NFL is so camera driven with surround sound & HD technology that you see more away from the game than at the game anyway. 

If you are consumed by the action on the field like I am, the headaches of traveling, parking, food, & lodging are just not worth the aggravation in my estimation.

You watch the SB in the airport in bar lounges on a big screen TV, the hotel lobby, your room, or your iphone. The NFL is so camera driven with surround sound & HD technology that you see more away from the game than at the game anyway.

If you are consumed by the action on the field like I am, the headaches of traveling, parking, food, & lodging are just not worth the aggravation in my estimation.

the players wouldn't be able to get to the stadium. Nor would the camera crews.

Also, they wouldn't have a game inside an empty stadium

the players wouldn't be able to get to the stadium. Nor would the camera crews.

Also, they wouldn't have a game inside an empty stadium

The cameras would already be there since both teams fly to the SB site a week in advance. Most of the NFL's revenue is advertisement driven in commercials & broadcasting rights so even if the stadium is not filled to capacity the league will still make billions. The local vendors won't but the big apple still would. If the weather is that bad, just postpone the SB for a week. Fans will still watch the game no matter what. 

The cameras would already be there since both teams fly to the SB site a week in advance. Most of the NFL's revenue is advertisement driven in commercials & broadcasting rights so even if the stadium is not filled to capacity the league will still make billions. The local vendors won't but the big apple still would. If the weather is that bad, just postpone the SB for a week. Fans will still watch the game no matter what.

You could find a way to postpone the game in days of blizzard conditons at some cost (although it could snow every Sunday for a month in Min nesota) or you could play it in Arizona or California or Florida and not worry about it..

...To risk blowing up your showcase event just to play in NY or Minnesota is just a foolish risk

You could find a way to postpone the game in days of blizzard conditons at some cost (although it could snow every Sunday for a month in Min nesota) or you could play it in Arizona or California or Florida and not worry about it..

...To risk blowing up your showcase event just to play in NY or Minnesota is just a foolish risk

The best argument people can make for places like AZ, FL, CA, or NO is this: If the weather is sunny & nice, people are more inclined to shop, spend money on trinkets, & explore the host city. 

My problem is this: Football was made to be played outside in the elements & domes like the SuperDome in Louisiana can still have power failures & if enough snow falls domes can still collapse under the weight of snow & ice even if lids are closed & why should every football stadium have a dome on it? Some small market teams cannot afford lid renovations & I could never imagine Lambeau Field with a top on it. Blasphemy. That's just wrong on so many levels. JMO. 

Why do athletes need perfect conditions to win SBs in? INDY won in 2006 in the pouring rain. We don't stop the game just because it's cold, foggy, & wet. Just ask the late, great George Carlin...

Why should warm weather locations get an unfair SB bid preference over chiller places? And just like the NY Giants/NY Jets Stadium it is possible to have good weather in typically frigid spots.

If God forbid CA had an earthquake like the 49ers in Santa Clara, would that prevent this spot from ever being considered to host another SB? No, but 1 blizzard scares people away? Has society really gotten that soft & timid? Sigh... 

I know all about the old Superbowls, the Snow Plow game, the Ice Bowl, etc. but Roger Goodell prides himself in safety safety SAFFFEEEETYY. He doesn't want to get sued, so he is going to make the Superbowl experience as painless as possible. That means nothing but decent weather games. Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just stating the obvious.

Someone who takes time off work, pays through the nose for their seat, flight and hotel and has a game snowed out, moved or? when a blizzard hits like it did in Greenbay earlier this year.

My response to that is this: Inquire before hand as a customer what refunds you are eligible for if bad weather conditions transpire on a desired travel day.

I've had to eat the cost of a concert ticket before as part of an all sales final no refunds as the cost of doing business.

It comes with the territory. You just accept it as the cost of purchasing the ticket & other accommodations. 

You might get some money back if the airport is entirely grounded, but otherwise you just accept that the money has just been flushed down the toilet never to be seen again. It sucks & it's life. 

I know all about the old Superbowls, the Snow Plow game, the Ice Bowl, etc. but Roger Goodell prides himself in safety safety SAFFFEEEETYY. He doesn't want to get sued, so he is going to make the Superbowl experience as painless as possible. That means nothing but decent weather games. Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just stating the obvious.

Yeah right. If Roger cared about safety, specifically player safety so much, he'd finally admit their is a direct correlation between dementia, memory loss flights of rage, & concussions, but that's another pet peeve of mine. 

Regarding fan safety, that works up to a certain point but nobody is forcing fans to drive or fly in dangerous conditions. At some point, we are all expected to exercise common sense & not put our lives in danger. Goddell is not responsible for every single SB fans safety. 

Not a slam on you RMDY my friend. I just wanted you to know that. I enjoy your posts & I wasn't calling you out just that fool Roger regarding his safety stance. 

I think they should just build a stadium in L.A. or Hawaii and have the SB there every year. Never have to worry about "what if the home team reaches the SB" that comes up every single year with the so called SB Curse. 

Yeah, I do feel bad that LA can't get a franchise to go out there since the Raiders [in my best ESPN Chris Berman voice.] Besides, since the Lakers suck, fans need a good team to cheer for. 

I know; I know I like Philip Rivers in San Diego too. 

I can agree with the idea that Super Bowls should not be played in the cold but if that is so then why should any playoff games be played in bad weather conditions?  I like October football much better than playoff football.  The players are mostly healthy.  The field conditions are good but teams don't make the early season mistakes they make in September. 

Yeah right. If Roger cared about safety, specifically player safety so much, he'd finally admit their is a direct correlation between dementia, memory loss flights of rage, & concussions, but that's another pet peeve of mine. 

Regarding fan safety, that works up to a certain point but nobody is forcing fans to drive or fly in dangerous conditions. At some point, we are all expected to exercise common sense & not put our lives in danger. Goddell is not responsible for every single SB fans safety. 

Not a slam on you RMDY my friend. I just wanted you to know that. I enjoy your posts & I wasn't calling you out just that fool Roger regarding his safety stance.

If 'Roger, the Scapegoat' really cared...wow..

What about if the NFLPA really cared? Or if the fans really cared about player safety. We dont

Players fight all safety measures and the n sue the NFL once they've retired...That's not hypocrisy, is it

....football is dangerous at every level. Roger Goddell didn't start it and he doesn't have to admit it.

He's the only one in the NFL saying or doing anything about it..

Goddell has limited control of the weather or the owners..

..but his job is to take the blame for everything and he's well paid

The best argument people can make for places like AZ, FL, CA, or NO is this: If the weather is sunny & nice, people are more inclined to shop, spend money on trinkets, & explore the host city. 

My problem is this: Football was made to be played outside in the elements & domes like the SuperDome in Louisiana can still have power failures & if enough snow falls domes can still collapse under the weight of snow & ice even if lids are closed & why should every football stadium have a dome on it? Some small market teams cannot afford lid renovations & I could never imagine Lambeau Field with a top on it. Blasphemy. That's just wrong on so many levels. JMO. 

Why do athletes need perfect conditions to win SBs in? INDY won in 2006 in the pouring rain. We don't stop the game just because it's cold, foggy, & wet. Just ask the late, great George Carlin...

should warm weather locations get an unfair SB bid preference over chiller places? And just like the NY Giants/NY Jets Stadium it is possible to have good weather in typically frigid spots.

If God forbid CA had an earthquake like the 49ers in Santa Clara, would that prevent this spot from ever being considered to host another SB? No, but 1 blizzard scares people away? Has society really gotten that soft & timid? Sigh...

Appreciating the George Carlin post...(and I do)..

Football was never meant to be played in January and February..sw...please stop saying that.

Football was never originally played after Thanskgiving at the high school or college level.

Bow games were originally played in warm weather places

Basketball was originally played outdoors, too..so was hockey...they changed..

The Super Bowl is the showcase. Couldn't have held it in Boston this week.

Why risk blowing up your showcase at great cost...for an outdated notion.

Play in Arizona. Florida and California...Odds are 10,000 to 1 there wont be an earthquake. Its 15-below in the midwest every year

Blizzrds don't scare people away..they cant get there because they cant get out of their driveway.

We're not trying to be fair to Green bay...we're just trying to have title game where everybody can go incomfort all 2 weeks and the city can make some money and celebrate the game

It would have been alright... flights only got cancelled one day here, and that was for about 30" of snow in most areas. Not ideal of course, but it's not like our roads and highways have been shut down all week. 

A glazing of ice in Dallas a few years back nearly crippled that city right around Super Bowl time. But for cities in areas that are used to it, it takes an historic storm to cause the kind of disruptions we've seen this week.

I'd hate to see the NFL just dismiss the idea of cold-weather Super Bowls entirely. Doesn't have to be every year, but IMO the game is better in the elements. 

I prefer to eliminate the elements and let the two teams play it out to see who the better one is. If you start throwing in factors like snow, cold, rain etc...to me sometimes its the best team that deals with the weather that wins and not a level playing field. Honestly I remember the Colts and Bears playing in a steady downpour all game and thought with all the fumbles etc...that the quality of the game would have been better in a dome. I'm ok with some weather but just don't want the weather being a factor in who plays better. Now...the postseason thats fine...teams earn the right to have those home games in bad weather etc...no problem..but the last game for it all....guess I prefer to keep weather out of it and also its much more enjoyable for the fans too.

Me personally, I don't really care.  As a fan, I'd go watch it in the elements.  As a player, I always loved playing in the rain, but not the cold as much.  Still made for great stories though.  Still one of the most fun games I've watched in recent history was the Philly/Detriot snow game.  It was incredible.  If Colts played in a super bowl with this kinda weather, I'd love the game regardless of who won. 

ku-xlarge.jpg

About the only weather I think a playoff game, or any other game, shouldn't be played in (other than obvious geological and natural disasters) is sub zero cold.  If it's below 0, it's too cold for a football game.

nope, I have no problem with the SB being played in the snow, rain or whatever.  If the SB is going to be restricted to being played indoors or only in warm weather, then every game should be played the same way.  personally I'd rather see every stadium be an open air stadium...get rid of all the domes and retractable roofs.  

it's interesting in the regular season. But the superbowl has to be (in my opinion) 2 teams with no external conditions facing off and seeing who the best is.

I can kind of understand that line of thinking.  However, why aren't the games that lead up to the SB just as important?  Those games decide which 2 teams get the honor of competing in the SB so they should be just as important as the sb itself.  so imo if you don't want external conditions playing a factor in the SB itself, then they shouldn't play a factor in the games that determine who gets to play in the SB either...which is every game that gets played other than pre-season.

I can kind of understand that line of thinking.  However, why aren't the games that lead up to the SB just as important?  Those games decide which 2 teams get the honor of competing in the SB so they should be just as important as the sb itself.  so imo if you don't want external conditions playing a factor in the SB itself, then they shouldn't play a factor in the games that determine who gets to play in the SB either...which is every game that gets played other than pre-season.

true, but that would ruin basically the entire playoff format. Where would the games be held? a neutral site? what motivation would that provide a team to get the 1 or 2 seed?

My problem is this: Football was made to be played outside in the elements & domes like the SuperDome in Louisiana can still have power failures & if enough snow falls domes can still collapse under the weight of snow & ice even if lids are closed & why should every football stadium have a dome on it? Some small market teams cannot afford lid renovations & I could never imagine Lambeau Field with a top on it. Blasphemy. That's just wrong on so many levels. JMO.

http://youtu.be/qmXacL0Uny0

Why should warm weather locations get an unfair SB bid preference over chiller places? And just like the NY Giants/NY Jets Stadium it is possible to have good weather in typically frigid spots.

Actually when football was invented the season was over in November. So your premise about playing in snow and extremly cold weather is flawed

Pretty sure there has been a snow game before November. Anyway that doesn't take care of rain games.

If every stadium had a roof on it, I swear people would eventually complain that the home crowds are to noisy which produces an unfair advantage.

:agree:  Being out in the elements is part of it.  I actually prefer being outside for the games, and when we go to LOS  I like for the roof to be open.

We went to the game in Cincinnati on Dec. 22 when the Broncos were in town to see Peyton.  It was warmer than normal for a December game in Cincinnati, and then the rain came.  I know this sounds silly, but I was "so" into the 3rd Qtr that I didn't even mind the rain...  then the downpour came, and well the game went downhill too... :P    

I completely understand. Rain games down here in Florida are like initiations into football. Eliminating them would cheat alot of people out alot of the intagibles of football fandom. When I was in middleschool, we drove to Tallahassee for an away game to watch our 15ish man Aucilla Warriors varsity team play the final game of the season against a 5 A powerhouse called North Florida. Driving to Tallahassee was always a big deal, having lived in our small town, but this time it was like we were going "with the tea." It was the equivalent of Florida/Florida St down here every year even though we got our tailed kicked every time. There were feelings that could win after beating a 5 A school earlier that year. We sat in the rain an watched our team lose 7-20 but after that I felt like I'd just fought a war.

Just imagine rooting Brett Favre or Peyton Manning on in an NFL stadium in the rain or snow. If you want to eliminate that type of thing from football then eliminate yourself from football!