Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would happen if a baseball team got caught using all corked bats?

Trace Pyott

Sorry to keep bringing up the whole deflate gate story but I was thinking of a proper course of action for the nfl to take. I've heard people say they should lose a draft pick, be replaced in Super Bowl all the way to nothing because it was a simple rules violation (first take espn). I thought I would try and find something simulAr in other sports and the closest thing I could think of is the Sammy Sosa incident when he was caught corking a bat. Now imagine if the whole teams bags were corked. What would have happened to the coach after such incident?

This is a perfect example of the NFL being SO out of touch with reality. If a baseball player uses an altered bat, he gets suspended. If a college team breaks rules they get their wins taken away. But, if you at the patriots, you can cheat your way to 6 Super Bowls and you'll get a fine and a draft pick taken away.

The team would have to forfeit THAT game, then all bats would be consistently monitored the rest of the season.  The coach would get a suspension....5 games or so.  Just my opinion.  More would be better for me.  I despise cheating.

LIKE ! outta them be back later.

To be honest, I think a better comparison would be to a baseball pitcher, not corked bats.  A pitcher touches the ball every play while his team is on defense.  The QB touches the ball on every play while he is on offense.  Everyone else touches are minimal and often random.

If the pitcher is caught directly with substance(s) or paraphernalia that could be used to doctor a ball on his person, they get ejected.  Umps don't proactively check, it must be asked for by the opposing manager.

If a QB is caught with a pump or needle on him, or video and  / or audio of him giving instruction to doctor the football, then an ejection (in game) or 1 game suspension (found afterward) is warranted, IMHO.  We're not there...  yet.

P.S. Baseball has a long history of pitchers doctoring the ball.  Many, but not all, getting caught. Todays pitchers are horrible at it (hiding pine tar on them, etc...)

Jusy sayin' ...

Yeah... 1 Super Bowl game.

Something tells me you guys wouldn't be satisfied with that. What if the Patriots lost the AFCCG? Do you think people would think it was a legit punishment if Belichick was suspended 'only' for week 1 of next season?

Obviously there would be just as much outrage about this situation if the Patriots lost, right? I mean...it IS all about the integrity of the game...so it doesnt matter if they won by a ton, won by a little, lost by a ton, or lost by a little...the outrage and the punishment should not be affected by that. But if it was just week 1 of next year, you think that would be enough?

To be honest, I think a better comparison would be to a baseball pitcher, not corked bats.  A pitcher touches the ball every play while his team is on defense.  The QB touches the ball on every play while he is on offense.  Everyone else touches are minimal and often random.

If the pitcher is caught directly with substance(s) or paraphernalia that could be used to doctor a ball on his person, they get ejected.  Umps don't proactively check, it must be asked for by the opposing manager.

If a QB is caught with a pump or needle on him, or video and  / or audio of him giving instruction to doctor the football, then an ejection (in game) or 1 game suspension (found afterward) is warranted, IMHO.  We're not there...  yet.

P.S. Baseball has a long history of pitchers doctoring the ball.  Many, but not all, getting caught. Todays pitchers are horrible at it (hiding pine tar on them, etc...)

Jusy sayin' ...

Is that you, Gaylord Perry?  :)

Something tells me you guys wouldn't be satisfied with that. What if the Patriots lost the AFCCG? Do you think people would think it was a legit punishment if Belichick was suspended 'only' for week 1 of next season?

Obviously there would be just as much outrage about this situation if the Patriots lost, right? I mean...it IS all about the integrity of the game...so it doesnt matter if they won by a ton, won by a little, lost by a ton, or lost by a little...the outrage and the punishment should not be affected by that. But if it was just week 1 of next year, you think that would be enough?

If the patriots are caught cheating again, especially on the NFLs second biggest stage, there should be a bigger penalty to pay than their last offense. Every thing was switched around completely and the colts had been caught cheating for a second time (same coach same system what has changed?), how would you feel? This isn't about a colts rivalry for me vs the patriots. It disgusts me because you have a good coach, a good QB, and a good overall team. Why do you need to cheat? Why?

I despise cheaters. And over the last 5 years I can see the NFL is as much the same as the patriots.

I am one of few colts fans who want the patriots to win the SB but not for reasons you may think.

There have been a number of stories saying that what the Patriots did most teams do.

A number of QB's have said they like their football just so...  and if it takes a certain bit of doing to get it that way,  so be it.

For me, the issue is,  once caught,  the Pats deny....

If Brady had come forward and simply said....   "Yup, it was me.   I asked the locker room attendant to do it.   I never thought it was a big deal because I've been under the impression that all teams do it.    Now that I'm told not every team does it and the NFL doesn't want us to do,  I won't do it anymore.   I'm sorry."

If he had said that, I'd have been fine with a modest fine for Brady and the Pats.   And we could've called it a day.

I think Brady didn't say that because he feared being suspended for the SB.    Better to take a bigger hit after the game then be suspended for the game itself.

That's my read anyway.....    as always, your mileage may vary....

Jusy sayin' ...

Yeah I think that's a much better comparison (doctored baseball vs corked bat). 

Only difference is that the pitcher is always the one doing the doctoring... if there's any truth to deflategate, there's almost a zero percent chance that Brady was the one with the needle in hand. (Would have been done by a staffer, under his direction of course, assuming reports are true and that no exonerating evidence surfaces.) 

I just re-read the title. Yes, players have used corked bats before, but that's not the question.

The question was about what would happen if ALL the bats were corked for a certain team? If the Giants were caught using corked bats -- everyone, every bat -- that would be more than a minor suspension for one player. That would be a scandal.

It would also be a much bigger deal than a pitcher doctoring the ball.

I just re-read the title. Yes, players have used corked bats before, but that's not the question.

The question was about what would happen if ALL the bats were corked for a certain team? If the Giants were caught using corked bats -- everyone, every bat -- that would be more than a minor suspension for one player. That would be a scandal.

It would also be a much bigger deal than a pitcher doctoring the ball.

But it was more than the question, it was for comparison purposes as he immediately states - "I was thinking of a proper course of action for the nfl to take"

Well the NFL can't take any action, there are no corked bats in the NFL.  Mutli corked bats are actions by many folks, the overinflation of a football can be 1 person job. It's sometime difficult to spot a corked bat until it explodes from a hit on the handle or at the end of the bat.  so tough catch all once the first is caught.  And having a corked bat isn't violation, using it is.  I just thought the correlation to a pitcher and resulting punitive issues was a better comp.  That's all.

But it was more than the question, it was for comparison purposes as he immediately states - "I was thinking of a proper course of action for the nfl to take"

Well the NFL can't take any action, there are no corked bats in the NFL.  Mutli corked bats are actions by many folks, the overinflation of a football can be 1 person job. It's sometime difficult to spot a corked bat until it explodes from a hit on the handle or at the end of the bat.  so tough catch all once the first is caught.  And having a corked bat isn't violation, using it is.  I just thought the correlation to a pitcher and resulting punitive issues was a better comp.  That's all.

All good points, and I get it. Just saying that I think it's a much bigger issue than a corked bat or a doctored ball. If MLB did find that an entire team was using corked bats, it would be a scandal.

Interesting point about "using" a corked bat, vs having one. I was not aware of that.

I just think y'all should be punished for cheating

The cheating didn't matter, cause y'all are the better team as you all have proven 3 times prior to the AFCCG

My problem is the cheating thing was pointless. :flyingelvis: are a better team than the :colts: so don't see why y'all didn't just use the footballs at regular pump and just hand it to Blount lol

That's just my opinion though. It wasn't needed and then you got caught on top of that. So loss of a draft pick and then move on from this is what I'd do

Jusy sayin' ...

It happened last year in a Sox/Yankees game. The Yankee pitcher, Pineda, was caught with pine tar on his neck. He was thrown out of that game...no forfeit, and I don't think he was suspended.

This is a perfect example of the NFL being SO out of touch with reality. If a baseball player uses an altered bat, he gets suspended. If a college team breaks rules they get their wins taken away. But, if you at the patriots, you can cheat your way to 6 Super Bowls and you'll get a fine and a draft pick taken away.

The NFL is a corporation based on entertainment that makes money. The only ones our of touch with reality are people that don't understand this. They owe you nothing. They owe us nothing. We are the ones that choose to waste our time with this as entertainment when we really don't benefit from it at all except a little happiness or sadness on Sunday. 

The league is loving this crap with the Patriots cause now people are going to watch the Super bowl. It will probably be the most highest rated thing of the year.