Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favourable Schedule through 2015?

CowanCCFC

So, the 2015 schedule looks like this for the Colts...

Home - Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, New England, NY Jets, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Denver

Away - Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh

Due to us having the benefit of playing a very weak NFC South. Does anyone think we'll finally push into a 12 win season? 

Home - Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, New England, NY Jets, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Denver

Away - Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh

Due to us having the benefit of playing a very weak NFC South. Does anyone think we'll finally push into a 12 win season?

The NFC South could be a whole different kettle of fish after FA and the draft. That said, I think a 12 or 13 win season is achievable. Probably necessary if we have aspirations to get back to AFCCG and onto the Super Bowl.

Only if we can beat 1 or 2  teams out of NO-NE-PIT-DEN quartett

We've proven we can beat Denver, Manning isn't getting any younger. New Orleans are currently $30,000,000 over the salary cap, so it'll be difficult for them to strengthen! 

Agree though, Pitt and NE will probably be losses. 

I would be disappointed with anything less than 13-3 TBH.  I said we could've done it last year, but the bad teams we played, turned out to be not so bad, so I was okay with the 11-5.  No excuses this year tho.  I fully expect N.O. Atlanta Carolina to have better teams, also Miami and Buffalo is no pushover.  I say potential losses to NE (obviously) Pitt, and one of the 5 teams I previously mentioned.  Not to say that's how it will go, because I could also see the Colts getting upsetted by Houston, and Indy beating either Pittsburg or NE, or even both.

THAT IS WHY WE PLAY THE GAMES!!!!

A lot of stuff can happen in the offseason. 

No, I think the NFC south is tougher then their records suggest.  If you look at their results for this year, most of them outside of Tampa Bay only lost games to other NFC south teams and teams that won more then 10 games.  

I think all except Tampa will be a tough game. 

Carolina Panthers losses outside NFC South:

Pitt: 11 wins

@Baltimore: 10 wins

@Cincy (tied): 10 wins

@Green Bay: 12 wins

@Seattle: 12 wins

@Philly: 10 wins

@Minnesota - 7 wins

New Orleans losses outside of NFC South

@ Cleveland 7 wins

@ Dallas 12 wins

@ Detroit 11 wins

San Fransisco 8 wins

Cincy 10 wins

Baltimore 10 wins

Atlanta losses outside of NFC South

@ Cincy 10 wins

@ Minnesota 7 wins

@ Giants 6 wins

Chicago 5 wins

@ Baltimore 10 wins

Detroit

Cleveland 7 wins

@ Green Bay 12 wins

Pitt 11 wins

So they all had some bad losses I admit, but most of their losses game to 10+ win teams outside of their own division.  3 of 4 of them have decent quarterbacks. . .  On top of that they had to play the NFC North (deep division Green Bay, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago) and the AFC North (another deep division Pitt, Balitmore, Cleveland, and Cincy)  Throw in that they all had to play a game against the NFC west as well.

That's a lot of tough games there outside their own division.  I think at least 2 of those teams will be 10 win teams in 2015.  Especially playing the AFC South this year. . . 

So besides Tampa Bay I think they are all gonna be tough games.

How did we get NE back to back home games, shouldnt we be @NE this year?

The home game this season was based on rotation of division placement. Next season we play the AFC East, so the rotation is based on home/away the last time the Colts faced that division.

Trying to guess wins and losses at this point of the year is really not an easy task. There are way too many variables to weigh. Injuries during training camp and four pre season games can happen and that alone could make a difference. As always there are 5 teams who play better than anticipated and 5 who fall down.

I could definitely see a 12+ win season, and I could also see a 7-1 record at home.  I wouldn't say it's favourable because things change a lot each year in the NFL.  Last offseason, teams like the Saints were being looked at as championship contenders.  The NFC South could very well end up being one of the more competitive divisions in the league.

I also expect a 3rd straight year of sweeping the division

Based on 2013 year's team considering who we beat (SF, Denver, Seattle) before losing Reggie and Ahmad (and being without Allen) I was expecting us to run through the schedule minus Denver and NE when we were healthy plus adding more people. Wasn't expecting to get the pants beat off of us by Dallas, Pitt, and even the Eagles. It's a weak NFC South now but you never know next year, as well as the AFC South being very weak but Houston always gives us a hard time, I would hope to win 3 of 4 afc east games too.

I'm gonna be pessimistic and predict a 10 win season.  Still winning AFC south of course.  

I'm hoping for more but I just don't see it.  I really think the NFC South is tougher then people think... People forget they basically played the #2 and #3 deepest divisions in football and each of them had a game against a team from the NFC west which was the deepest division in football.  

Now they are playing the AFC South which is one of the shallowest divisions in football and the NFC east which should have 2 easy wins in the Giants and Redskins.

Just wait after this season they are gonna be talking about how deep and tough the NFC South is because, I'm imagining that at least 2 teams in that division win 10 games. . . if not 3.  

And with Tampa drafting #1 overall you never know what could happen with them, although I doubt they could win 10 games.  But if they get a QB they could be a middle of the road team.

I said it when it happened giving the Eagles game away would cost us.

I thought that too, if we won that game by the refs calling PI for TY when Luck threw that pick in field goal range that would have iced it, we still would lose tiebreaker to NE or they wouldn't have rested their starters vs the Bills and we would have just gotten a bye and then hosted CIN or DEN. Either way, the Jets cost us with their whack losses to NE.

The last 3 years I have predicted 10-6, 10-6. 11-5. So I haven't been off by much.  (and with some of the amazing comebacks in year 1 and 2 of Luck, we so easily could have been 10-6.   I am feeling 10-6 myself this time around, but with Andrew Luck maturing another year, I will go 11-5.  But I just don't see 12-4, 13-3, 15-1 and the other hyper positive outlooks.  I hope I am underestimating the team, but Luck, Davis, Hilton and Fleener need healthy teammates who don't miss so many games and others who don't suck terribly yet still get overplayed by a coaching staff unwilling to admit they blew it (Richardson?).  

If they hit the home run on Draft Picks and can fill in at least 2 new starters on O-Line, 2 new starters on D-Line and Two top notch Running backs (perhaps one is going to be Heron, we'll see) and somehow find a way to keep our TE's healthy all season, sure, we could win more games.  But after doing little to address our O-Line save that Godsend Mewhort, when everyone knew how bad they were going to be during the regular season as well as the weakness against the run on Defense which wasn't helped much by an aging LB free agent who couldn't make a tackle at key moments, how much can we hope for this time around?  And even though it appeared we had more WR talent than we knew what to do with, the crew imploded with poor play, drug use and other miscreant issues causing us to lose two of them and find out how useless the big FA start signing really was.   And I loved Bradshaw and was glad he was back, but the poor guy just can't take the punishment in the NFL.  He's got the heart for sure, but not the fortitude to stay healthy.  

I have believed in Pep's philosophy of power run with an awesome QB, but when will they actually build a team that can do it for real? If Houston finds a QB we may struggle to win our division.  Remember how well they played against some of the teams we struggled against.  (Dallas for example).  They seem only a QB away from dominating our division.  We see like only a QB away from being Jacksonville.  

The last 3 years I have predicted 10-6, 10-6. 11-5. So I haven't been off by much.  (and with some of the amazing comebacks in year 1 and 2 of Luck, we so easily could have been 10-6.   I am feeling 10-6 myself this time around, but with Andrew Luck maturing another year, I will go 11-5.  But I just don't see 12-4, 13-3, 15-1 and the other hyper positive outlooks.  I hope I am underestimating the team, but Luck, Davis, Hilton and Fleener need healthy teammates who don't miss so many games and others who don't suck terribly yet still get overplayed by a coaching staff unwilling to admit they blew it (Richardson?).  

If they hit the home run on Draft Picks and can fill in at least 2 new starters on O-Line, 2 new starters on D-Line and Two top notch Running backs (perhaps one is going to be Heron, we'll see) and somehow find a way to keep our TE's healthy all season, sure, we could win more games.  But after doing little to address our O-Line save that Godsend Mewhort, when everyone knew how bad they were going to be during the regular season as well as the weakness against the run on Defense which wasn't helped much by an aging LB free agent who couldn't make a tackle at key moments, how much can we hope for this time around?  And even though it appeared we had more WR talent than we knew what to do with, the crew imploded with poor play, drug use and other miscreant issues causing us to lose two of them and find out how useless the big FA start signing really was.   And I loved Bradshaw and was glad he was back, but the poor guy just can't take the punishment in the NFL.  He's got the heart for sure, but not the fortitude to stay healthy.  

I have believed in Pep's philosophy of power run with an awesome QB, but when will they actually build a team that can do it for real? If Houston finds a QB we may struggle to win our division.  Remember how well they played against some of the teams we struggled against.  (Dallas for example).  They seem only a QB away from dominating our division.  We see like only a QB away from being Jacksonville.

Easy there, chief. This team has its issues, but we didn't go 11-5 by accident. We were rolling pretty well heading into NE. Luck barely got hit in the playoffs, and the run was working better until NE. So there is hope there. The defense needs work, yes. But we are not "a QB away from being Jacksonville."

Ah....the old "let's predict next season's record" thread. So tempting, yet so completely unpredictable. I was scanning through some old pages from 2011 right after it was announced that Manning was out for what ended up being the season...and people still had us making the playoffs with Kerry Collins! I guess there is something to be said for optimism....but in all seriousness, predicting next year is impossible. We could really gel and get the pieces to be 13-3 or so, or stumble a bit and fall to 9-7 or worse. Case in point. A lot of people saw Dallas as a W coming into this past season. Most experts called them a dumpster fire. We all know how that turned out. They spanked us, beat SEA @ SEA, won the NFC East at 12-4, and were a questionable call away from being in the NFCC. Few saw that coming. Most of us had Pittsburgh as a win, or at worst a toss up. Cincy rolled us up in 2013, and we stomped them this year. Granted they were missing AJ Green, but even without him that was an utter beat down.

Every season is different. In 2013, we beat teams we were supposed to lose to (SEA, Denver, SF), and lost to teams we were supposed to beat (Chargers, Rams??)

This past season was the exact opposite except for Baltimore and Cincy (again an injured Cincy).

These threads will always happen bc it's our nature as fans to look ahead. And it can be fun. But each season is its own. And he practice of predicting a team's record based on their opponents' prior season records is just a crap shoot.

Easy there, chief. This team has its issues, but we didn't go 11-5 by accident. We were rolling pretty well heading into NE. Luck barely got hit in the playoffs, and the run was working better until NE. So there is hope there. The defense needs work, yes. But we are not "a QB away from being Jacksonville."

CM, I wish I could agree with you, but we were quite a paper tiger most of the season.  What truly quality wins did we have?  We caught an undermanned Bengal team each time.  Baltimore was a nail biter and frankly was the typical "winning one we should lose" game that always seems to happen.  But 3 of our losses were out and out destruction.  Dallas, Pittsburgh,  New England.  You could argue that Denver wasn't "all that" this year which is why we played them relatively even each time.  Philly didn't even make the playoffs and we couldn't close the deal.  What other truly quality wins did we have this year?  Baltimore and......?  Without Luck, we have been fighting with Jacksonville and Tennessee on who was getting Jameis or Marcus.  Much like we learned that without Manning, all those long time (albeit aging and soon to be out of the league in hindsight) studs of the Colts were 2-14.  Vontae isn't going to win us the division.  Without Luck, would Hasselbeck really have kept us in the division?  We certainly would have watched the 11-5 Texans (with two wins over us) winning the division in our place.   I don't see where we'd have generated any offense and our defense would have been the same, only more ragged since they'd be on the field much more than when Luck is running our offense.   Of course it is all conjecture and we'll thankfully never know.   But I don't see a division winning team with any other QB not among the Top 6 currently in the league running our team.  We certainly wouldn't have done it with what the other teams in our division had to work with.  You could make the case that Hasselbeck was the 2nd best QB in our division and I might buy that, but that's still being the smartest kid in a dumb class. 

PS: The only reason we beat Denver in the Playoffs was Manning couldn't throw to his often wide open for touchdown receivers on multiple occasions.  Do you disagree?  I think with an injured Manning we should have won by much more if we were anything special this year.  Commentators regularly stated how shocking it was that Luck had drug such a talentless team so far.  If we're Luck(y) he'll have management who will surround him with the best players they can with his upcoming fat new contract on the books.  The easy days are over even with the expanded Salary Caps coming up. 

We were playing for the potential of a 1st round bye vs Dallas.

Eh, wouldn't have mattered. As the playoffs showed..... Still would've ended up in New England. Either way it was set in stone for the Colts to go home if they faced New England

Just not ready to step to them

But the 2 wins especially the one over Peyton at least made the playoffs respectable

CM, I wish I could agree with you, but we were quite a paper tiger most of the season. What truly quality wins did we have? We caught an undermanned Bengal team each time. Baltimore was a nail biter and frankly was the typical "winning one we should lose" game that always seems to happen. But 3 of our losses were out and out destruction. Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England. You could argue that Denver wasn't "all that" this year which is why we played them relatively even each time. Philly didn't even make the playoffs and we couldn't close the deal. What other truly quality wins did we have this year? Baltimore and......? Without Luck, we have been fighting with Jacksonville and Tennessee on who was getting Jameis or Marcus. Much like we learned that without Manning, all those long time (albeit aging and soon to be out of the league in hindsight) studs of the Colts were 2-14. Vontae isn't going to win us the division. Without Luck, would Hasselbeck really have kept us in the division? We certainly would have watched the 11-5 Texans (with two wins over us) winning the division in our place. I don't see where we'd have generated any offense and our defense would have been the same, only more ragged since they'd be on the field much more than when Luck is running our offense. Of course it is all conjecture and we'll thankfully never know. But I don't see a division winning team with any other QB not among the Top 6 currently in the league running our team. We certainly wouldn't have done it with what the other teams in our division had to work with. You could make the case that Hasselbeck was the 2nd best QB in our division and I might buy that, but that's still being the smartest kid in a dumb class.

PS: The only reason we beat Denver in the Playoffs was Manning couldn't throw to his often wide open for touchdown receivers on multiple occasions. Do you disagree? I think with an injured Manning we should have won by much more if we were anything special this year. Commentators regularly stated how shocking it was that Luck had drug such a talentless team so far. If we're Luck(y) he'll have management who will surround him with the best players they can with his upcoming fat new contract on the books. The easy days are over even with the expanded Salary Caps coming up.

We didn't play Denver evenly both times. Opening week Peyton had 3 TD's in the first half alone. The famous conservative John Fox helped make the final score look closer than the actual game was

And the Bengals with or without AJ Green still would've lost, Andy Dalton is just trash. Can't win in the playoffs

The only reason we beat Denver in the Playoffs was Manning couldn't throw to his often wide open for touchdown receivers on multiple occasions.  Do you disagree?  I think with an injured Manning we should have won by much more if we were anything special this year.  Commentators regularly stated how shocking it was that Luck had drug such a talentless team so far.  If we're Luck(y) he'll have management who will surround him with the best players they can with his upcoming fat new contract on the books.  The easy days are over even with the expanded Salary Caps coming up. 

Even with Manning's injury throughout the 2nd half of the season, they were still undefeated at home until we went in there and beat them.  That counts for something.   I give our defense some of the credit for stopping Manning.  

If somehow we do get Ndamukong Suh, I'd say we could easily be 14-2 next season.

Jack, 

Suh would be big, but I can't imagine they could resign all our players and pay him the kind of money we'd need to get him.  Playing with Luck certainly is an attractant, but Indianapolis isn't usually the city bigtime FA's think of moving to once they escape a city like Detroit.  Are there serious rumblings that we might go after him?  The problem I see, beyond his salary and his reputation being out of whack with our supposed team morals is that even WITH him, we would not have stopped the run this year.  Who else could we afford to bring in to help with his big salary? 

I do believe the money should be spent on the two lines and at least one young top RB.  (And not a worn out FA).  We also need more rush help as Mathis is getting ancient and coming off major injury and though the Ball State kid did well, we need 2 serious young pass rushers to go along with Mathis, with him being used more situationally and also to teach the younger players.  

And to TKnight, I simply disagree with you on this one.  I saw some of the worst passing I've ever seen from Manning combined with tough CB play leading to balls being dropped out of character for Denver in the playoffs.  But we had the same CB's the first game and nearly won, it was simply that Manning was hitting his passes and Luck was turning the ball over in the first half. Though I do admit I only heard about the game as I was in Spain when it happened at the start of the season.  I truly think we'd have been in trouble if Manning could have been even average that game in the playoffs.  

Atlanta  has one of the highest powered offenses in the entire NFL (Matt Ryan is right near the top of the best of the non-elite QB's and they have tremendous WRs) -- they are a few players away from being a very good football team.  Carolina got very hot late this year and they are also a few players away from being a very good football team.  NO has cap issues, but they have a great coach, a great QB and are always going to be dangerous with those 2.  Tampa Bay is the only team in the NFC South I don't see being  very competitive next year, although they've got some very good young talented weapons on offense if they can just get a QB to help out.

Buffalo was a good team last year.  Rex might make their defense very scary, they've got the potential.  New England is going to be tough as always. Miami was a pretty good team last year and they seem to have been improving since they have decided to stick with Tannehill as their QB.  NYJ is a team I don't see being very good, but who knows.

Denver is going to be good, and will be tough to face in Denver if Peyton is healthy.  And Pittsburgh is a very good team.

The Texans and Titans are continuing to improve and it will be tough to go 2-0 against both of them, especially if either team gets a QB.  Jacksonville we should beat twice.

Here's how I see it:

Jacksonville - 2 wins

Titans - 1 or 2 wins

Texans - 1 or 2 wins

Tampa Bay - win

NYJ - win

That is 6 wins we should definitely have.  Everything else is a crap shoot.  If we go .500 we finish 10-6 and should be in a good spot to win the AFC South again.

We, like the majority of the teams we play, are depending on the offseason and health next season (we are a few players away from being an excellent team, and likewise just a couple injuries away from being in trouble). 

I see no reason why we shouldn't win the AFC South and have a shot at the super bowl next season, but it is way too pre-mature to start writing anything in stone.

Jack, 

Suh would be big, but I can't imagine they could resign all our players and pay him the kind of money we'd need to get him.  Playing with Luck certainly is an attractant, but Indianapolis isn't usually the city bigtime FA's think of moving to once they escape a city like Detroit.  Are there serious rumblings that we might go after him?  The problem I see, beyond his salary and his reputation being out of whack with our supposed team morals is that even WITH him, we would not have stopped the run this year.  Who else could we afford to bring in to help with his big salary? 

I do believe the money should be spent on the two lines and at least one young top RB.  (And not a worn out FA).  We also need more rush help as Mathis is getting ancient and coming off major injury and though the Ball State kid did well, we need 2 serious young pass rushers to go along with Mathis, with him being used more situationally and also to teach the younger players.  

And to TKnight, I simply disagree with you on this one.  I saw some of the worst passing I've ever seen from Manning combined with tough CB play leading to balls being dropped out of character for Denver in the playoffs.  But we had the same CB's the first game and nearly won, it was simply that Manning was hitting his passes and Luck was turning the ball over in the first half. Though I do admit I only heard about the game as I was in Spain when it happened at the start of the season.  I truly think we'd have been in trouble if Manning could have been even average that game in the playoffs.  

I don't know if I'd go as far to say there are "serious rumblings" about Suh coming here, but there is some talk that the Colts are interested.  A couple of the "insiders" that appear on the local talk shows seem to think we're going to try.  Of course getting him is going to be difficult as there will be several teams in the running.  

You're right about us not being a bigtime draw for FAs, but a lot of that had to do with Polian.  He was more of a "build through the draft" kind of guy.  It's still not a glamorous place in the eyes of many FAs, but we are a contender and that will help.  If he wants to play for a contender the usual attractive places to move (NYC, Miami, LA, San Francisco) aren't going to fill that need.  I don't see the Jets, Giants, or Dolphins being in the SB Hunt.  San Francisco is probably out of the mix with Harbaugh being gone and Oakland is still Oakland.  LA still doesn't have a team, although that might change soon.  

It probably won't happen, but at least there is a chance.  

While Peyton was certainly off that night, he did complete a 32 yard pass in the 1st quarter, so he still had some ability left in that arm to throw a deep pass.  Our secondary was aggressive that night and I still think we could have beaten the Broncos even if Peyton would have been 100%.  

The home schedule is about as favorable as the Colts could ask for. I believe that we want to get back to and win the AFCCG, we MUST clinch home field throughout the playoffs. We need to go 13-3, preferably with a head-to-head victory over NE.

Agree completely, most of all get a win over NE and somehow Pittsburgh.  We can go 12-4 if we beat these teams.  While there are quite a few easier games that should allow us to win the division, getting a higher seed will be necessary to get to the next level.  Road games like Carolina, Miami, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are going to be tough, probably lose a couple there. Atlanta was terrible this season, but they still have a lot of talent and I could see them turn it around.   Then the home games against NE, New Orleans and Denver.  But the only one I am really worried about is New England, this team matches up well against Denver and New Orleans is on the decline.