Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McShay evaluates Top Players at Senior Bowl....

He's got a top-10 and a next 10....   a small paragraph write-up on his top-10.....

Some interesting stuff and some names that have been mentioned around here...

Enjoy!!     :thmup:

1. Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (FL) Hurricanes

He was the fastest player in Mobile this week -- by a lot -- and he might be the fastest player in the 2015 class. His ability to accelerate off his cuts is a trait he shares with all of the NFL's elite speed threats (I compared it Wednesday to in-his-prime Chris Johnson). But it's about more than just speed with him. He plays under control, getting in and out of his breaks quickly to create separation, and he has very good ball skills.

2. Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke Blue Devils

He projects as a slot receiver due to his size (5-foot-8, 174 pounds), not a No. 1 target, but he had a great week from start to finish. He displayed very good quickness and hands, and he created a lot of separation in his routes, setting up defenders with subtle shoulder and head fakes that allowed him to break free and provide his QBs with an open target.

3. Clive Walford, TE, Miami (FL) Hurricanes

This isn't a great class of tight ends, and Walford has a chance to capitalize by being one of the first ones to go off the board. Speed was a question mark entering this week, but he showed plenty of it to go with very good athleticism, size (6-4, 254 pounds) and ball skills. Moreover, he can hold his own as an inline blocker, adding to his versatility.

4. Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke Blue Devils

We had him stamped with a fifth-round grade coming in, but he played a lot better than that during practices. He was the most consistent offensive lineman all week. He isn't an elite athlete but he does a good job of staying in balance in pass protection and the run game, and what really stands out is his inline power and powerful punch to drive defenders off the ball on running plays and redirect pass-rushers.

5. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State Sun Devils

He really impressed us with his explosiveness and power. We hadn't seen much of that previously with him on tape, but we'll have to go back and study more of him. He has some improvements to make, including his ability to finish plays, but his combination of size and quickness is very intriguing, and he was a productive player for the Sun Devils.

6. Carl Davis, DT, Iowa Hawkeyes

He flashed this week, as we expected he would, for his excellent athletic ability for a player his size (6-5, 321 pounds). He has the potential to be a very good NFL player, but the issue for him at Iowa was that his motor ran hot and cold. He'll need to play with more consistent effort to succeed in the pros, but the tools are all there -- and that was on display again.

7. Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford Cardinal

This guy just wouldn't stay blocked. He isn't a great athlete but has very good length (6-6 with long arms) and excellent technique. He uses his hands very effectively to shed blocks. He always seems to have a plan out there as a pass-rusher and in the running game. He helped himself this week.

8. Nate Orchard, OLB, Utah Utes

He showed well in all three areas you want to see from a 3-4 outside linebacker: He converted speed to power as a pass-rusher and was effective in getting pressure on the quarterback, he held up in pass coverage and was particularly effective at setting the edge in the running game and holding up at the point of attack.

9. Kevin White, CB, TCU Horned Frogs

He had a really good week, displaying very good route recognition skills and football instincts to go with excellent quickness and athleticism. His size is a limitation -- he's just 5-9, 180 pounds and has short arms (29 7/8 inches) -- so it will be tough for him to go before Day 3. But his performance in Mobile helped boost his stock.

10. Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami (FL) Hurricanes

I don't know if Gunter has elite top-end speed, but he has really good burst when closing on the ball. His strength and physicality really stand out, as he's willing to come up in run support and he excelled in red-zone drills (he stuck with his receivers and made a great play on a quick slant thrown to his teammate Dorsett, the most explosive receiver here). He has good instincts and is always around the ball.

Honorable mentions

• Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
• Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas
Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina
David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
• Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington
• Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State
• Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon State
• Tom Obarski, K, Concordia-St. Paul
• Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
Preston Smith, DE, Mississippi State

Anthony displayed very good awareness and closing burst, and excellent range for a linebacker his size (6-2, 245 pounds). ... Hardy was much more explosive than we expected, and he did a good job of getting open and catching the ball. ... Nelson was able to stick to receivers during practices, displaying good quickness and instincts and playing with an edge. ... Shelton is our highest-ranked player at the Senior Bowl, and he flashed the ability to push the pocket as an interior pass-rusher in addition to his dominant ability as a run-stuffer.

Stupid DVR didn't let me watch the last 12 mins of the game because it went over the initial recording time of 3 hours. But I have a few takeaways in regards to McShay's evaluation:

- I'm guessing his evaluations are mostly based off the practices. There were a good number of players that he didn't list who made a lot of noise during the actual game. The CB out of Oregon State, Steve Nelson for example, had his name called a lot and did excellent in coverage.

-Going back to the comment about in-game standouts, he doesn't talk enough about the RB's. The RB's were the talk of the game. Abdullah looked really good. But Cameron Artis-Payne, David Cobb, and Davis Johnson all really helped their stock. Johnson and Cobb both had excellent vision I thought

-Mayock thinks Carl Davis is a 1st round pick, so McShay is right to have him on the list. He was in the backfield all game.

Also really like Orchard. Pass rusher, run defender, and coverage. Definitely going to be a premier OLB at the next level.

Stupid DVR didn't let me watch the last 12 mins of the game because it went over the initial recording time of 3 hours. But I have a few takeaways in regards to McShay's evaluation:

- I'm guessing his evaluations are mostly based off the practices. There were a good number of players that he didn't list who made a lot of noise during the actual game. The CB out of Oregon State, Steve Nelson for example, had his name called a lot and did excellent in coverage.

-Going back to the comment about in-game standouts, he doesn't talk enough about the RB's. The RB's were the talk of the game. Abdullah looked really good. But Cameron Artis-Payne, David Cobb, and Davis Johnson all really helped their stock. Johnson and Cobb both had excellent vision I thought

-Mayock thinks Carl Davis is a 1st round pick, so McShay is right to have him on the list. He was in the backfield all game.

Also really like Orchard. Pass rusher, run defender, and coverage. Definitely going to be a premier OLB at the next level.

Yes....  all evaluations are done off of practice and Davis was voted by scouts to be the best player there....   Nice for him.

I read the Mayock story and if my memory is still working OK (no promises!)  I think he said he could be a 1st round pick....

At the moment,  Orchard is feeling very 2nd round to me....   but things can and will change between now and the end of April....

I really liked David Johnson and Cobb. If we could get one of those guys in the mid rounds I would be happy. Abdullah looked great but I just don't trust his durability and ball security. For all the talk about Danny Shelton, he didn't seem to do much in the game, Davis played much better.

I recorded it on DVR and I'm watching it as we speak. David Johnson is really intriguing. He had a very nice TD run early on. They've been saying a lot of good things about him lately.

Probably post more once I finish watching the game.

I thought Johnson played good in the Senior Bowl, but I felt the RB David Cobb from North was a little more solid than Johnson.  Cobb did a number of things that were impressive to me.  Hopefully the Colts have him on their list.  I think he'd be a good back to pair with a guy like C.J. Spiller if we picked him up.

I really liked David Johnson and Cobb. If we could get one of those guys in the mid rounds I would be happy. Abdullah looked great but I just don't trust his durability and ball security. For all the talk about Danny Shelton, he didn't seem to do much in the game, Davis played much better.

I was impressed with the Guard that was blocking Shelton.  Kuandjo from Alabama.

Dane Brugler, a senior NFL draft analyst for NFLDraftScout and CBS Sports, said Kouandjio is a "tough son of a gun."

"I love the way he uses his length to extend and meet rushers to take on the block and dispose of them," Brugler said. "He's the type of guy that's going to take your lunch money and not feel bad about it. He's a mauler upfront. I like the way he extends, but keeps his base square to deliver contact at all times. He just looks for someone to hit."

"More times than not, you see the ability to be a powerful, drive blocker," Brugler said. "Latching on and driving defenders out of the play. He's just kind of been a bully this week.

"He entered the week in that conversation to be one of the top guards drafted in this class. I think he's only helped himself in that regard."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama/2015/01/22/injury-riddled-past-keeps-scouts-guessing-kouandjio/22181855/

The kid does have someprevious knee injuries that cause some concern though.

Yes....  all evaluations are done off of practice and Davis was voted by scouts to be the best player there....   Nice for him.

I read the Mayock story and if my memory is still working OK (no promises!)  I think he said he could be a 1st round pick....

At the moment,  Orchard is feeling very 2nd round to me....   but things can and will change between now and the end of April....

I was just saying in another topic how Orchard really impressed. 1st round would be a little early for him though because he's not YET a super explosive pass rusher. But overall, this is a very solid defensive class. I also agree with what he said about Anderson. That guy is a beast, physically. He could start day 1 as a 3-4 DE.

I thought Johnson played good in the Senior Bowl, but I felt the RB David Cobb from North was a little more solid than Johnson.  Cobb did a number of things that were impressive to me.  Hopefully the Colts have him on their list.  I think he'd be a good back to pair with a guy like C.J. Spiller if we picked him up.

I think Johnson was more than what people thought he was. I didn't think he was shifty or could make cuts, but he showed good vision and excellent agility. Cobb was excellent though. I think he'd be a perfect fit in our offense. He can definitely be a 3 down back in a power run system. Johnson might be better in a zone blocking scheme where he can get in space a little more. Probably not a power guy, as I think Cobb is more of a downhill/between the tackles runner who will fight for every yard.

I was just saying in another topic how Orchard really impressed. 1st round would be a little early for him though because he's not YET a super explosive pass rusher. But overall, this is a very solid defensive class. I also agree with what he said about Anderson. That guy is a beast, physically. He could start day 1 as a 3-4 DE.

I think Johnson was more than what people thought he was. I didn't think he was shifty or could make cuts, but he showed good vision and excellent agility. Cobb was excellent though. I think he'd be a perfect fit in our offense. He can definitely be a 3 down back in a power run system. Johnson might be better in a zone blocking scheme where he can get in space a little more. Probably not a power guy, as I think Cobb is more of a downhill/between the tackles runner who will fight for every yard.

I need to sit down and go over some of the other backs out there, but Cobb certainly caught my eye while watching.  I think he'd be a good fit in our scheme as well assuming these clowns decide to actually make more out of the running game.