Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 years later: evaluating and comparing the 2012 draft class

21isSuperman

People commonly say it takes 3 years to be able to fully evaluate a player (even though most fans and teams show less patience than that).  It has now been 3 years for the 2012 class, which was the first draft class for this new regime.

Pick 1: Andrew Luck – QB – Stanford

Pick 3: Trent Richardson – RB – Alabama (obtained via trade)

Pick 34: Coby Fleener – TE – Stanford

Pick 64: Dwayne Allen – TE – Clemson

Pick 92: T.Y. Hilton – WR – Florida International

Pick 136: Josh Chapman – DT – Alabama

Pick 170: Vick Ballard – RB – Mississippi State

Pick 206: LaVon Brazill – WR – Ohio

Pick 208: Justin Anderson – G – Georgia

Pick 214: Tim Fugger – LB – Vanderbilt

Pick 253: Chandler Harnish – QB – Northern Illinois

For comparison's sake, the two teams playing in the Super Bowl this year had the following draft picks:

Patriots:

Pick 21: Chandler Jones – DE – Syracuse

Pick 25: Dont’a Hightower – LB – Alabama

Pick 48: Tavon Wilson – S – Illinois

Pick 90: Jake Bequette – DE – Arkansas

Pick 197: Nate Ebner – CB – Ohio state

Pick 224: Alfonzo Dennard – CB – Nebraska

Pick 235: Jeremy Ebert – WR – Northwestern

Seahawks:

Pick 15: Bruce Irvin – DE – West Virginia

Pick 47: Bobby Wagner – LB – Utah State

Pick 75: Russell Wilson – QB – Wisconsin

Pick 106: Robert Turbin – RB – Utah State

Pick 114: Jaye Howard – DT - Florida

Pick 154: Korey Toomer – LB – Idaho

Pick 172: Jeremy Lane – CB – Northwestern State

Pick 181: Winston Guy – S – Kentucky

Pick 225: J.R. Sweezy – DE – NC State

Pick 232: Greg Scruggs – DE – Louisville

You can also read what Bucky Brooks has to say on this class, and other classes.  For what it's worth, he gave the Pats a B and the Seahawks an A.  I agree with Bucky's marks, and I would give our class a B+/A-.  What grade do you give the Colts on their 2012 draft class and how do you think our 2012 class compares with that of New England and Seattle?

Cant include Trent because he wasn't drafted by us.  I would defintely grade us with an A, becuase you top 4-5 picks is what matters the most.  You hope to get a diamond in the rough around 6-8, but most of the time those guys are just camp boddies.  Chapman being a 6th rounder can still turn out to be a big surprise if he works his butt off the next year or 2.  Getting Luck and then TY in the 4th is good enough.  I think we reached a bit for Fleener (to make Luck comfortable), but he is turning out to be good.  However, if we would've got  a great OG or RT in that draft we would be a lot better off now at this point.  Allen would still be great and we possibly would've had a good line and run game by now.  I'm not gonna fret though!  If we have a solid FA and draft this year, I don't see how we can't hang in there with NE and contend with SEA for a Lombardi trophy.  Luck, Fleener, Allen, and TY, are just getting ready to hit their prime, which is very bad news for the rest of the AFC :) 

I'm back!!! Anything else you guys want to beat me up on?

Beat you up on?  You came into the thread with a smug "better than everyone" attitude in which you state your OPINIONS as fact because you claim to work for a firm bigger than the NFL.  Here are the problems with that...

1.  This is a friendly discussion place.  We don't need attitude or business lectures.  We talk football

2.  If you feel the need to throw your weight around to strangers on the internet, you should probably go elsewhere as the community here could care less who you work for

3.  We can all understand a business comparison (even if yours makes 0 comparable sense in relation to the aspect of the NFL) without you flaunting your employment.

4.  Last one is a tip just for you.  Thinking you are a big shot is a good way to get straight up embarrassed.  The internet is open to everyone on the planet earth.  Meaning, no matter how much of a big ding-a-ling you think you are, there is most likely someone who is better than you or more "important"

Settle down and get ready to talk football.  If you want to do much else I'm sure you will be off the board sooner than later.

Beat you up on?  You came into the thread with a smug "better than everyone" attitude in which you state your OPINIONS as fact because you claim to work for a firm bigger than the NFL.  Here are the problems with that...

1.  This is a friendly discussion place.  We don't need attitude or business lectures.  We talk football

2.  If you feel the need to throw your weight around to strangers on the internet, you should probably go elsewhere as the community here could care less who you work for

3.  We can all understand a business comparison (even if yours makes 0 comparable sense in relation to the aspect of the NFL) without you flaunting your employment.

4.  Last one is a tip just for you.  Thinking you are a big shot is a good way to get straight up embarrassed.  The internet is open to everyone on the planet earth.  Meaning, no matter how much of a big ding-a-ling you think you are, there is most likely someone who is better than you or more "important"

Settle down and get ready to talk football.  If you want to do much else I'm sure you will be off the board sooner than later.

You come back 2 days later and want to rag on me? hahahahahahah :clap:

My God... People have high expectations of a draft. Our 2012 draft was a huge success.

Only the Seahawks could claim to have has as good a draft.

I agree. 

But on the other hand, the Colts picked 1st in every round and the Seabirds picked 15th, and the Patriots picked 21st every round. 

Something to keep in mind.