Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Awesome news regarding TRich's contract: Colts can walk away from his ~$3M guaranteed because of suspension.

Dustin

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read through the whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned, but do you think he purposefully missed the walkthrough so the Colts could cut him.

Seems like something him and his agent might want. If he didn't get suspended then the Colts would have kept him for next year and he would have been buried on the bench all year.

he would be lucky to land a backup role at this point, and he certainly won't be making 3 mill

I've confirmed that Trent Richardson's suspension for conduct detrimental voids the guarantees of his $3,184,062 2015 base salary.

— Joel Corry (@corryjoel)

January 27, 2015

How in the hell do these guys just walk away from millions of dollars, guaranteed? 

HOW?

We see in the news all the time of people committing murder for a fraction of that sum. All Trent has to do is his job, and he can even do it poorly, he doesn't even have to do well and he earns 3 million more. 

Once you sign a legal document from a student loan, to a car loan, to a player's contract, you agree to abide by all the jargon contained within that contract.

Ergo, Trent Richardson has no grievance, no recourse, & no legal leg to stand on.  Kiss that $3,000,000 goodbye.  Conditions to opt out of payment are always well laid out.

That's what agents & lawyers are paid for by professional athletes to give their clients the complete picture. The franchise's obligations, your obligations, & what a failure to meet that requirement stipulates. 

Don't tell that to all the lawyers that spend hours and years and make good money going to court to argue for or against someone breaking a contract.

How in the hell do these guys just walk away from millions of dollars, guaranteed? 

HOW?

We see in the news all the time of people committing murder for a fraction of that sum. All Trent has to do is his job, and he can even do it poorly, he doesn't even have to do well and he earns 3 million more. 

I would think that TR didn't at the time think he was doing something that would trigger what we are now seeing. I need more info on just what happened to have a finished opinion on this one.

I would think that TR didn't at the time think he was doing something that would trigger what we are now seeing. I need more info on just what happened to have a finished opinion on this one.

What I think; I think Trent was fuming after being scratched the week before, and he found out he would be scratched again, or possibly placed in as the 3rd string back. I think he got upset and blew the Colts off, thinking this would get him released and free from the Colts whom he was now upset with. 

Only....he didn't contact his agent and understand the $3 million dollar mistake he was making. I cannot fathom this. Can you imagine making a $3 million dollar mistake? 

What I think; I think Trent was fuming after being scratched the week before, and he found out he would be scratched again, or possibly placed in as the 3rd string back. I think he got upset and blew the Colts off, thinking this would get him released and free from the Colts whom he was now upset with. 

Only....he didn't contact his agent and understand the $3 million dollar mistake he was making. I cannot fathom this. Can you imagine making a $3 million dollar mistake? 

No , I made them for 6 figures .. haven't been dumb enough to graduate to the 7 figure ones. 

And yeah , that was my thinking from the beginning. I had posted earlier when this happened that TR had said " This will be the last time I'm a healthy scratch." So my I'm with you on this . We just need to get the particulars on the "family emergency" report that was flying around. But I really do doubt that Irsay would go this route if there really was something of significance involved there. No need to cite all the obvious reasons why.

No , I made them for 6 figures .. haven't been dumb enough to graduate to the 7 figure ones. 

And yeah , that was my thinking from the beginning. I had posted earlier when this happened that TR had said " This will be the last time I'm a healthy scratch." So my I'm with you on this . We just need to get the particulars on the "family emergency" report that was flying around. But I really do doubt that Irsay would go this route if there really was something of significance involved there. No need to cite all the obvious reasons why.

I just can't call it, can't wrap my brain around the idea. I would drink a bucket of John candy's armpit sweat during halftime of the Super Bowl for a tenth of that amount. 

I just can't call it, can't wrap my brain around the idea. I would drink a bucket of John candy's armpit sweat during halftime of the Super Bowl for a tenth of that amount. 

I guess with some of these guys its easy come easy go. Crazy how you read how some are dad broke after earning 10's of millions

I bet if you take to the internet, someone would take you up on that: $300k to drink a bucket of armpit sweat. 

I guess with some of these guys its easy come easy go. Crazy how you read how some are dad broke after earning 10's of millions

A lot of them don't receive the support they need to manage their finances. Also, they are only taking home half or less of their salaries after all taxes, agent, lawyer, etc. are taken out. Not excuse making, but per usual, there's always more context than he made millions and is now broke. 

was John Candy an organ donor, but instead of harvesting his organs they harvested his armpit sweat?  wonder how they store that?  would it have to be refrigerated? 

I bet if you take to the internet, someone would take you up on that: $300k to drink a bucket of armpit sweat. 

A lot of them don't receive the support they need to manage their finances. Also, they are only taking home half or less of their salaries after all taxes, agent, lawyer, etc. are taken out. Not excuse making, but per usual, there's always more context than he made millions and is now broke. 

No doubt you're correct on all of that. And some of them for sure do have an excuse.. not a very well thought out post on my part.

Why would that be funny to a Colts fan?

uhhh...

maybe he meant 'ironic', as sometimes irony is seen to contain a certain amount of humor in it's dumb luck sort of way... 

it wouldn't be the first time an under performing player was released from the Colt's and 'upped' their game for their 'new' team...

Don't tell that to all the lawyers that spend hours and years and make good money going to court to argue for or against someone breaking a contract.

Lawyers get paid either way from their client, but it still doesn't change the fact a breach of contract was committed in this case. Anybody can file a lawsuit, but at the end of the day TR is screwed. He's not getting his salary. 

If TR & the players union wanna spin their wheels & waste their time, be my guest. They will still lose. 

Lawyers get paid either way from their client, but it still doesn't change the fact a breach of contract was committed in this case. Anybody can file a lawsuit, but at the end of the day TR is screwed. He's not getting his salary. 

If TR & the players union wanna spin their wheels & waste their time, be my guest. They will still lose. 

I don't think any of us has enough information about what happened to say that. If the Colts manufactured a scenario in which they could suspend Richardson, he'd have a legitimate grievance.

So, if I understand your implication or inference correctly ruksak, perhaps TR failed to read the fine print correctly which cost him $3,000,000. An interesting idea that I can buy because I have been burned by fine print before not to that financial extreme, but it does illustrate the importance of understanding the most crucial aspects of your contract especially any language which dictates any instance or condition under which a salary may be  suspended permanently. 

Also, I have worked as a technical writer on manual descriptions for products which most people associate with safety & preventing bodily injury, but precise the language of manual writing is specifically done to protect corporations & companies from getting sued. Language means everything in litigation cases. 

I don't think any of us has enough information about what happened to say that. If the Colts manufactured a scenario in which they could suspend Richardson, he'd have a legitimate grievance.

No franchise makes a move like this: The suspension of a player's remaining salary without consulting their legal team first Superman. It's not like Pags or Grigs flew off the handle & said "TR's failure to show up for a walk through is the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm so furious with him. I'm gonna cut his salary just to tick him off." 

You're right. We don't know all the details yet, but I just don't see this move happening without Irsay, Grigson, Pagano, & INDY's legal team dotting all their i's & dotting all their t's first. JMO. 

No franchise makes a move like this: The suspension of a player's remaining salary without consulting their legal team first Superman. It's not like Pags or Grigs flew off the handle & said "TR's failure to show up for a walk through is the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm so furious with him. I'm gonna cut his salary just to tick him off." 

You're right. We don't know all the details yet, but I just don't see this move happening without Irsay, Grigson, Pagano, & INDY's legal team dotting all their i's & dotting all their t's first. JMO. 

That's all fine. All I'm saying is that there's still a lot of information missing. I have no doubt that Richardson, his agent, and the NFLPA would raise a huge fuss and do whatever they could to get that money paid. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended in a settlement.

Also, the money is already in escrow. The Colts won't just be able to withhold it. 

That's all fine. All I'm saying is that there's still a lot of information missing. I have no doubt that Richardson, his agent, and the NFLPA would raise a huge fuss and do whatever they could to get that money paid. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended in a settlement.

Also, the money is already in escrow. The Colts won't just be able to withhold it. 

Ah yes, the classic negotiation tactic...What number can we mutually agree upon to close the chapter on this fiscal dispute forever? Yeah, that's entirely possible. Ain't it funny how enough cash softens the agony of a joint separation? Good point. It works in a marital split & a player/owner split. As long as both sides get something tangible, this situation can be resolved relatively quietly, cleanly, & quickly. 

I agree, but I think the actual "cash value" of the money is secondary to the "cap value" of the money to the organization. I am sure they hope to be able to withhold the the payment of any money to Richardson.  But, even if they have to pay him the cash, and have it not count against the cap I think the Colts would still consider that a win.

I agree, but I think the actual "cash value" of the money is secondary to the "cap value" of the money to the organization. I am sure they hope to be able to withhold the the payment of any money to Richardson.  But, even if they have to pay him the cash, and have it not count against the cap I think the Colts would still consider that a win.

It's 2% of the cap. It's not a big deal either way. Especially if it gets tied up in court for a while. The results of the Patriots battle with Aaron Hernandez are still unknown, and there's a cap charge of $7.5m for his 2014 salary. That might still go away, but it's been a year and a half since he was released.

So the most likely outcome is that this $3.18m counts against the Colts cap in 2015, and then, assuming they win the ensuing battle, they get a cap credit in a future year.

Also, we've all kind of assumed that Richardson will be released, but you know what they say about assuming... so let's wait and see what actually happens.

It's 2% of the cap. It's not a big deal either way. Especially if it gets tied up in court for a while. The results of the Patriots battle with Aaron Hernandez are still unknown, and there's a cap charge of $7.5m for his 2014 salary. That might still go away, but it's been a year and a half since he was released.

So the most likely outcome is that this $3.18m counts against the Colts cap in 2015, and then, assuming they win the ensuing battle, they get a cap credit in a future year.

Also, we've all kind of assumed that Richardson will be released, but you know what they say about assuming... so let's wait and see what actually happens.

3+ million is a small amount when you look at the overall cap, but it would be a nice little addition to our 2015 FA budget.

I did not know the money would be tied up (cap wise) if Richardson/NFLPA decided to dispute it ... I figured as long as it was seen as a legitimate suspension by the NFL the Colt's cap would be expanded by the $3.18 million, and than the Colts and NFLPA/Richardson would argue for the "cash" money in a more traditional legal setting.

Knowing this is the case, IF Richardson was legitimately suspended and he ties this up in a dispute because he was being a diva I will take great joy in watching the continued downward spiral of his career out of the league & hopefully broke (even if it is only $3 MILLION).

How funny would it be if the Patriots picked up Richardson next season for practically nothing and he rushed for 1200 yards?

I wouldn't be laughing but I think he will get picked up (if he is no longer with us) and have ALOT better season.  Can't get much of a worse run blocking OL than Indy's.  He's pretty much hit rock bottom.  Can only go up from here.

Actually you can. Indy was about middle of the pack this year. See, for example, http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I'm referring to the power run game (sorry for not clarifying) why Trent struggled, and if you look closely you just proved my point!  Power success 52% 2nd worse in the NFL.  Power Rank 31 of 32.  Before Boom came in I was looking at this same site, and it had Colts overall at 22.  So, Boom actually picked up some slack where Bradshaw left, it seems.  Castonzo is a good run blocker, and Cherilus early on wasn't terrible, especially not as bad as what everyone made him out to be.  Sure, he was struggling with injury, but with Allen over there the ends weren't too bad.  It's up the middle (power) run game that we really struggled with.

Alot of people complained about the pass protection, but it isn't that terrible, we ranked 7th.  Has nothing on the terrible blocking up the middle.  If people want to refuse to accept that as (even partially) why Trent is still struggling... Well you can't fix stupid!