Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before commenting read the whole section, its not too long I promise.

I know the rules about the ball without needing to read the post.

Balls are tested prior to the game and approved on by both teams. Each team can bring a set if they want, but the official balls will be approved by both teams and the referees. I think it's a dozen, correct? These balls are then marked, for identification reasons, by the referees.

These balls are then supervised by the home team during the game. It is the home teams responsibility for distribution and upkeep during the game.

So my question to you is, if the dozen balls were approved, and qualified the approved standards by the refs. One must assume these balls were fine. So then if anything happens to them after how is it not the home teams fault? They are responsible for the balls.

That Pats would not be at fault, read the rulebook link I just posted...and this only happened after the kickoff. 

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/5_2013_Ball.pd

Yeah.. you've posted this link 3 times now. Isn't the accusation that the Pats deflated footballs after they were checked by the officials ? Are you saying this this if happened is not a violation of the rules ? What I'm reading the accusation to mean is the Pats sent a ball that appeared deflated in for play. The officials most certainly threw it out if they thought was missing air and asked for another. Kravitz must be implying that this happened more than once and it's suspicious and will be investigated. That said . I would think it would be very hard to prove and nothing will come of it. Now if you want to explain why what you posted completely dispels possible cheating by a team noted for it feel free...

I know the rules about the ball without needing to read the post.

Balls are tested prior to the game and approved on by both teams. Each team can bring a set if they want, but the official balls will be approved by both teams and the referees. I think it's a dozen, correct? These balls are then marked, for identification reasons, by the referees.

These balls are then supervised by the home team during the game. It is the home teams responsibility for distribution and upkeep during the game.

So my question to you is, if the dozen balls were approved, and qualified the approved standards by the refs. One must assume these balls were fine. So then if anything happens to them after how is it not the home teams fault? They are responsible for the balls.

1. "The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game."
  2. http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/ball

The above happened after a kickoff...

1. "The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game."

The question is who has the balls that are to be used outside of the kicking game. The home team or the officials ? What I read in the link you posted 3 times seems to say the home team provides a ball for play. It goes on to say something like if the home team can't provide one that meets specs , they (officials ) get a ball from the visitors. 

You can keep posting the same thing over and over again. It doesn't change anything.  After all testing and approval is completed, during the game the home team is responsible for them.

The accusation is they were deflating them while they are responsible for supervision.

Yeah.. you've posted this link 3 times now. Isn't the accusation that the Pats deflated footballs after they were checked by the officials ? Are you saying this this if happened is not a violation of the rules ? What I'm reading the accusation to mean is the Pats sent a ball that appeared deflated in for play. The officials most certainly threw it out if they thought was missing air and asked for another. Kravitz must be implying that this happened more than once and it's suspicious and will be investigated. That said . I would think it would be very hard to prove and nothing will come of it. Now if you want to explain why what you posted completely dispels possible cheating by a team noted for it feel free...

You keep saying the Patriots sent the ball, the ball guy is an NFL employee, not a Patriots employee.

Watch the video: http://*/7d8

Anyways, they are making this out of nothing...

You keep saying the Patriots sent the ball, the ball guy is an NFL employee, not a Patriots employee.

If the Pats do not hold the balls that are used for play , I agree that this is a ridiculous charge

If the Pats do not hold the balls that are used for play , I agree that this is a ridiculous charge

At this point I am going to wait until Monday or Tuesday to see what the NFL says...Kravitz needs to clarify if this was the play he was talking about or if there were other plays that this happened on...

Hello, Pats Fan Here - 

I signed up for the forum today to send my condolences for a difficult loss, and let you know how much respect we have for your team, organization, and community. You have the best young quarterback in football, and things will only continue to get better. 

I was saddened to read this thread. I know the sting of a loss like today takes a while to wear off, but I hope the situation won't be reduced to rumors and mud-slinging. 

Today wasn't your day, and every team has losses that hurt, but either way, I hope we can continue to have a mutual respect for two great organizations.

Here's hoping we can face-off again in next year's AFC Championship. 

At this point I am going to wait until Monday or Tuesday to see what the NFL says...Kravitz needs to clarify if this was the play he was talking about or if there were other plays that this happened on...

all Kravitz reported was that the Pats were being investaged for it and what he heard would happen if the Pats are proven to have done it. That was a poster here who noticed a delay before the start of a series and they changed the ball and was wondering if that was when they noticed it.

Kravitz didn't offer any speculation as to when he thought it happened or that he even noticed it outside of what he was told. He even went as far as to say this had no impact on thee game's outcome and the Colts officials were long gone when he found out about it so he couldn't ask them for comment. He's reporting here, he's not offering any kind of speculation, he's just telling us what he's hearing that is going on.

I'm thinking it probably involves more than that play. But in all honesty , this is either nonsense or impossible to prove. So either way nothing is going to come of it. 

all Kravitz reported was that the Pats were being investaged for it and what he heard would happen if the Pats are proven to have done it. He didn't offer any speculation as to when he thought it happened or that he even noticed it outside of what he was told. He even went as far as to say this had no impact on thee game's outcome and the Colts officials were long gone when he found out about it so he couldn't ask them for comment. He's reporting here, he's not offering any kind of speculation, he's just telling us what he's hearing that is going on.

Right.. it's nothing Kravitz is starting nor is he making accusations. 

The guy who broke this story is from Indy..... so let's take that with a grain of salt. I did call the New York Post, as they hate the Patriots like no other, and the guy at the sports desk said they are investigating it. If this is true and they did tamper with the footballs, I will have a horrible feeling in my gut these next couple weeks. They didn't need to do anything of the sort. With spygate, they got caught doing something many teams did, but it just so happens the Patriots got caught doing it. They were punished. But if this new story is true, and I hope it's not, I will have much less respect for this team, and this is a team I love. I'm hoping this isn't true and it's some nutbag on twitter who started a bunch of stuff after a big loss.

If this is true, I'll be the first to apologize for them.

When I saw the call letters of the guy who broke this, Kravitz.. I remember reading a story about how he was arguing with a Pats fan, for ratings no doubt. But if this guy turns out to have created this without merit, there should be a hell storm against him.

Thank you for the video.

You see this man, circled in red:

9gKZhtk.png

He is responsible for the balls. You can see the ball boy removing them from the bag he is responsible for.

Guess what he is a Patriot employee.

His hat:

NewEra14FEOnField3930Cap.jpg

and his jacket

NikeFEHeavyDownJacket.jpg

Both officially sold by the Patriots.

http://proshop.patriots.com/p/nike-patriots-heavy-down-jacketnavy/pid/52644/sdid/139/pdid/136/

http://proshop.patriots.com/p/new-era-2014-on-field-39thirty-capnavygray/pid/48407/sdid/105/pdid/105/

He is an employee of the Patriots. And he is responsible for the game balls.

Thank you for the video.

You see this man, circled in red:

9gKZhtk.png

He is responsible for the balls. You can see the ball boy removing them from the bag he is responsible for.

Guess what he is a Patriot employee.

His hat:

NewEra14FEOnField3930Cap.jpg

and his jacket

NikeFEHeavyDownJacket.jpg

Both officially sold by the Patriots.

http://proshop.patriots.com/p/nike-patriots-heavy-down-jacketnavy/pid/52644/sdid/139/pdid/136/

http://proshop.patriots.com/p/new-era-2014-on-field-39thirty-capnavygray/pid/48407/sdid/105/pdid/105/

He is an employee of the Patriots. And he is responsible for the game balls.

That Jacket doesn't resemble the picture of the jacket you just posted. As far as the hat, 

Um, the guy who reported this didn't even care to mention this in his article which just posted a bit ago? I think that would be a major item to include in his post game report... something is fishy here.

http://www.wthr.com/story/27881546/kravitz-weve-seen-this-terrible-movie-before-havent-we

Not really, it's exactly the sort of thing he WOULDN'T include in an official press release, as it seems to still be under investigation... 

DEFLATE-GATE!!!