Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 29th pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Indianapolis Colts select...

Do we take the most explosive player on the board or do we reach with defensive players like Werner? Picking 29th and still getting an impact player on offense IMO is the way to go. 

29. Indianapolis Colts: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

What the divisional round of the playoffs should reinforce is that Andrew Luck can't carry the Colts on his own forever. Indianapolis needs to improve on the ground to take the next step. Although Trent Richardson will not be the answer, Gordon very well could be.

NFL Network's Charles Davis believes Gordon deserves to be the first running back chosen in the first round since 2012:

Gordon had one heck of a close-out performance, compiling 251 yards rushing and three touchdowns in a 34-31 win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl. The Badgers star can also catch the ball and pass protect, making him suited for a feature role to complement Luck.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we take the most explosive player on the board or do we reach with defensive players like Werner? Picking 29th and still getting an impact player on offense IMO is the way to go. 

What the divisional round of the playoffs should reinforce is that Andrew Luck can't carry the Colts on his own forever. Indianapolis needs to improve on the ground to take the next step. Although Trent Richardson will not be the answer, Gordon very well could be.

NFL Network's Charles Davis believes Gordon deserves to be the first running back chosen in the first round since 2012:

Gordon had one heck of a close-out performance, compiling 251 yards rushing and three touchdowns in a 34-31 win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl. The Badgers star can also catch the ball and pass protect, making him suited for a feature role to complement Luck.

I wouldn't do this. The way RB are being drafted now, you can get a good one late. I think you have to go DL or OL with our 1st pick and maybe the 2nd pick also. Herron's play made this possible.

As much as liked what Herron did this season, he is not an NFL starting RB. Richardson ( and it kills me to say that) has to go, Bradshaw has to go because I'm sick of him only being able to play 25% of the games, Ballard is damaged goods and you count count on him to stay healthy. What impact players will be left at the bottom of the 1st rd ?/ 

As long as we value the running back position as a late draft pick or FA thing, we will be doomed to have a mediocre/poor running game.

As long as our OL is pathetically unable to create holes where the play is designed to go, we will waste any value that RBs bring. TRich was horrible, but he was hit in the backfield more often than not. Herron was hailed as the chief for his effort against the Broncos, but his ypc sucked for the same reason as TRich's..

Denver for years had a series interchangeable All Pro RBs because of their blocking scheme.

We can't afford to be one-dimensional team again and Boom isn't a #1 RB we really need a RB but the top 3 are gonna be gone after the 45 pick so i think Gordon is the best of them but Wisconsin OL always help i think the hidden gem is Coleman and he could return this offense to be afraid of the colts running the ball because ALL the teams know that Luck has to win the games.

Denzel Perryman ILB Miami. or Ogbuehi OT I have seen him rated as high as the 2nd OT coming out then seem him slip out of the first round in some mocks. I still love Collins OT from LSU.

I really hope Grigs doesn't take a running back in the first round or even in the first 2 days. They just aren't that hard to find if you have a line that can open holes.

We can keep Boom at a cheap price the fumbles and dropped passes should assure we get him back pretty cheap. We sign a FA Helu, Spiller someone who can come in and handle part of the load or take over right away. We bring in a late round pick and a couple of UDFA's.

We still have Tipton can't imagine Trent coming back at this point although I guess we don't know what the story was seems like a headcase at this point.

I got bad news for all of us Ballard fans he is going to have a hard time making it back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224126/article/achilles-tendon-tear-a-death-knell-for-running-backs

Denzel Perryman ILB Miami. or Ogbuehi OT I have seen him rated as high as the 2nd OT coming out then seem him slip out of the first round in some mocks. I still love Collins OT from LSU.

I really hope Grigs doesn't take a running back in the first round or even in the first 2 days. They just aren't that hard to find if you have a line that can open holes.

We can keep Boom at a cheap price the fumbles and dropped passes should assure we get him back pretty cheap. We sign a FA Helu, Spiller someone who can come in and handle part of the load or take over right away. We bring in a late round pick and a couple of UDFA's.

We still have Tipton can't imagine Trent coming back at this point although I guess we don't know what the story was seems like a headcase at this point.

I got bad news for all of us Ballard fans he is going to have a hard time making it back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000224126/article/achilles-tendon-tear-a-death-knell-for-running-backs

When is enough of enough with saying you can plug these practice squad type players in at RB and be fine? You think if we drafted Bell in 2013 over Werner he wouldn't have made a difference instead of drafting a 2nd or 3rd rated OL? Come on man

When is enough of enough with saying you can plug these practice squad type players in at RB and be fine? You think if we drafted Bell in 2013 over Werner he wouldn't have made a difference instead of drafting a 2nd or 3rd rated OL? Come on man

Here's a question.....    what are you talking about?

You've had to put up with a "practice squad" type player (Boom Herron for less than one year)

Otherwise, you've had guy like Trent Richardson (1st rounder)  Ahmad Bradshaw (FA vet/7th round pick)  Vick Ballard (5th round) and Donald Brown (former 1st round)

And none of them have worked out for a wide variety of reasons.    With RB's,  there's no sure fire way.   There are a number of ways of handling the position.

You're not happy with the position.    Hey,   nobody is.    But it's not for lack of effort.....

Eddie Goldman DT from Florida State

Hughes and Champan are average at best and Colts are lacking talent since years at the DT position. If Goldman is there I would pick him because he can also get pressure on the QB. We need to improve both of our Lines (Offense as well as Defense)

With the 29th pick, the Indianapolis Colts trade down to acquire more picks since we desperately need better talent through the draft....

-Indy trades 29th pick to New Orleans for their two 2nd round picks.

-Indy trades 4th rounder to Buffalo for their 5th, 6th

Round 2 Pick 12 (N.O.): Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami (Fla.) (B+)
Round 2 Pick 20 (PHI): Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 27: Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon (A-)
Round 3 Pick 27: Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State (A)
Round 5 Pick 1 (BUF): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (B)
Round 5 Pick 27: JaCorey Shepherd, CB, Kansas (A-)
Round 6 Pick 18 (BUF): Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma (D+)
Round 6 Pick 27: Titus Davis, WR, Central Michigan (B)
Round 6 Pick 31: Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi St. (C+)

In free agency we sign Devin McCourty to a contract similar to what Jarius Byrd received and sign DaNorris Searcy at SS.

I highly doubt we go RB with the first pick. We have much more needs than a RB, for one if we fix the interior of the line a Mediocre RB can look like a Stud. Personally i feel (OL, S and ILB) are some of are biggest needs.

I would say that the Defensive Line has done somewhat of a decent job vs many of the top running teams this year. However, we need some more talented depth at either DE/DT. ILB is also a place where we need some more speed and athletecism. Also someone who isnt affraid to tackle bigger running backs like Blount.

Whatever scheme-fit player represents the best value at #29....and offers the most dependable and earliest upgrade to the position.

And other than QB, kickers/punters or long-snappers.....I don't give a :cuss: what position they play.

Just upgrade the damn team with more playmakers!

First we need a couple impact players in FA.

Sign Byron Maxwell at CB and Devin McCourty at FS

Next, take a Defensive Lineman in the 1st round. Dante Fowler Jr would be a dream, but he has quickly risen up boards. I would be very happy with Eddie Goldman or Danny Shelton at DT, then Jake Fisher with our 2nd rounder. 

Someone is going to want to trade up for Hundley. If the Eagles don't take him look for the Jets to make a deal with the Colts at 29 to move up for him. Or if the Bucs or Titans pass on a QB early, maybe it could be a situation like last year where the Vikings and Browns traded back into the first to get their QB. Would probably get us an extra 3rd

IMO, the value of a first round pick is the ability to find a playmaker. A QB, LT, WR, OLB, DT, or CB should be the only positions worthy of drafting in the first round. You can get good players at the ILB, RT, OG, C, NT, S, and RB positions in the 2nd round and lower.

There is also a glaring need at ILB and S. So if there is that rare guy who can be a playmaker at those positions, that's okay too.

Considering value and the Colts needs, if no WR or ILB is there worthy of 29, I'm for trading down as best we can

RD1: Collins OT or Strong WR or Dupree OLB, Shaq Williams OLB

RD2: Matias G or Darby CB or Edwards DE or Yeldon RB

RD3: Williams ROT, Drummond FS, Lockett WR

RD4: Allen RB, Coleman RB, Za'Darius Smith OLB

RD5: Cedric Reed OLB, Trenton Brown ROT, Ishaq Williams OLB

RD6: Sedrick Flowers OG, Kodi Whitfield FS

RD6: Ibraheim Campbell SS, Curtis Grant ILB

RD7: BPA

or like players...

FA: Suh

Fairwell to: Wayne, Nicks, Thomas, Studebacker, Werner, Richardson, Mathis, Shipley, etc...

With the 29th pick, the Indianapolis Colts trade down to acquire more picks since we desperately need better talent through the draft....

-Indy trades 29th pick to New Orleans for their two 2nd round picks.

-Indy trades 4th rounder to Buffalo for their 5th, 6th

Round 2 Pick 12 (N.O.): Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami (Fla.) (B+)

Round 2 Pick 20 (PHI): Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State (A-)

Round 2 Pick 27: Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon (A-)

Round 3 Pick 27: Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State (A)

Round 5 Pick 1 (BUF): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (B)

Round 5 Pick 27: JaCorey Shepherd, CB, Kansas (A-)

Round 6 Pick 18 (BUF): Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma (D+)

Round 6 Pick 27: Titus Davis, WR, Central Michigan (B)

Round 6 Pick 31: Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi St. (C+)

In free agency we sign Devin McCourty to a contract similar to what Jarius Byrd received and sign DaNorris Searcy at SS.

Why?  Who do you think New Orleans is going to want bad enough at #29 that they give up two 2nd rnd picks? You don't think that since they are a team with some cap problems it might be more beneficial to them to use those two 2nd rounders themselves? Who is Buffalo going after?

IMO it doesn't matter who you put in at RB, if the lines garbage it severely limits the run game, if you want the run game to improve the best tactic is to draft OL early, just look at Dallas the last couple of years, there will be quality backs later in the draft, I think it would be ridiculous going RB this early in the draft when we have so many more issues, specifically on defence  

Great to be thinking about the draft again. Oddly, it's my favorite part on the NFL process lol. 

I've been patiently waiting for the season to end so that this section would get humming again.

Yeah, screw the Super Bowl.

It is an interesting time of year though. Despite not wanting the Colts to get heavily involved in Free Agency this year, it is much more exciting than during the Polian-era.

Side note: Imagine Grigson had hit on all his draft picks (fourth round and above) this past two years, including Richardson. Would we be going to Arizona?