Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's Time For Baltimore To Move On

GoGoColts

Dunno, the Colts did Baltimore pretty dirty. I don't blame them at all for holding a grudge, as long as they realize that the reason the team left if because no one was coming to their games anymore.

I'd feel a lot more sorry for Baltimore if they hadn't turned and jacked a team from Cleveland and then try to pretend like that was justified because of what the Colts did. Honestly if you listen to Baltimore you'd think the Colts are the only team in the history of sports to move. The truth is Baltimore is just the only city that can't get over a team moving.

Dunno, the Colts did Baltimore pretty dirty. I don't blame them at all for holding a grudge, as long as they realize that the reason the team left if because no one was coming to their games anymore.

If a government official told you that they were going to take your property, would you stay in the state? I wouldn't either. It's Irsay's business; he did the right thing.

If a government official told you that they were going to take your property, would you stay in the state? I wouldn't either. It's Irsay's business; he did the right thing.

Yeah, lots of this.

Baltimore can kiss the fattest part of my [radio edit]

The fans I talk to who still have an issue (I'm right in the middle of it here in Baltimore) are to a point justified. It isn't that the team moved, they understand that. It is that all the history of the team went with them. Almost every one of them I talk to admits that if the history had been left here, it would be a dead issue.

The fans I talk to who still have an issue (I'm right in the middle of it here in Baltimore) are to a point justified. It isn't that the team moved, they understand that. It is that all the history of the team went with them. Almost every one of them I talk to admits that if the history had been left here, it would be a dead issue.

Do you see a banner in our stadium for Superbowl 5?

What about the 58 and 59 championships?

What player is there a statute of outside of the Raven's stadium?

What players are in the ring of honor? Am, I to believe that Jim Harbaugh has what it takes to make it into the ROH, but Unitas does not?

This talk about us stealing the history is nonsense from whiners. No more, no less.

The records stay with a franchise name. Now if the Colts built a memorial in Indianapolis for the Old Colts I can see it being wrong. Yet the honors they have with the Ravens is wrong. I think the Colts should build a memorial for the Old Colts in Baltimore, but is separated from the Ravens. Johnny U and the other legends have nothing to do with the Ravens though.

The records stay with a franchise name. Now if the Colts built a memorial in Indianapolis for the Old Colts I can see it being wrong. Yet the honors they have with the Ravens is wrong. I think the Colts should build a memorial for the Old Colts in Baltimore, but is separated from the Ravens. Johnny U and the other legends have nothing to do with the Ravens though.

Watch the The Band that will never die you and will a large number of ex Colts have had a lot to do with the Ravens and in fact have claimed the Ravens as "their team". Johnny U being the leader of that group before his death. With that said old Colts like Raymond Barry have come to Indy and seem to have no problem being loyal to the Colts either. It's really up to the person. I can see both sides I can see the guys who feel like they should be loyal to Baltimore and I can also understand the guys who are loyal to the franchise.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, but when the Titans travel to Houston, do the Texans fans bellyache and complain about having their team "stolen"? I'd guess almost half of the major sports teams that have been around for 25+ years are currently in a different city than they originated in. I'm sure it stinks to see your team move away and Robert Irsay wasn't the most likeable guy, but it's a fact of professional sports.

What players are in the ring of honor? Am, I to believe that Jim Harbaugh has what it takes to make it into the ROH, but Unitas does not?

This talk about us stealing the history is nonsense from whiners. No more, no less.

We do own their history and do respect things like retired numbers from the Baltimore Colts but I think the Colts don't do things like put those guys in the Ring of Honor because they don't want to be seen doing things like spitting in the face of the city of Baltimore which I think was your point. The Super Bowl trophy from Super Bowl V isn't in Indy though. In fact no one is sure what happened to the orginal. The owners took it with them to LA when the Irsays and the Colts owners switched teams. A replacement was made but sent to Baltimore as a part of seatlement after the move. Frankly I think the Colts have done a lot to try to respect the city of Baltimore since the move. It's time for Baltimore to understand the Colts have moved and let them go. WIth that said something as simple as putting the Colts on the scoreboard today is a big step for them.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, but when the Titans travel to Houston, do the Texans fans bellyache and complain about having their team "stolen"? I'd guess almost half of the major sports teams that have been around for 25+ years are currently in a different city than they originated in. I'm sure it stinks to see your team move away and Robert Irsay wasn't the most likeable guy, but it's a fact of professional sports.

About as much as Minnisota does about the Lakers when they come to town or St. Louis does with the Cardinals come to town or heck even Cleveland does when the Ravens comes to town. Like I said that's always bene my issue with the people in Baltimore if you listen to them you would think they were the only city to ever have a team move. The truth is they are the only city that couldn't move on from it.

We do own their history and do respect things like retired numbers from the Baltimore Colts but I think the Colts don't do things like put those guys in the Ring of Honor because they don't want to be seen doing things like spitting in the face of the city of Baltimore which I think was your point. The Super Bowl trophy from Super Bowl V isn't in Indy though. In fact no one is sure what happened to the orginal. The owners took it with them to LA when the Irsays and the Colts owners switched teams. A replacement was made but sent to Baltimore as a part of seatlement after the move. Frankly I think the Colts have done a lot to try to respect the city of Baltimore since the move. It's time for Baltimore to understand the Colts have moved and let them go. WIth that said something as simple as putting the Colts on the scoreboard today is a big step for them.

Listen, "history" is an abstract. It's a concept. It's not something you can take with you or pick up and hold close to you. It's an idea.

The only thing we have from those old Baltimore teams is the logo and the Jerseys. Baltimore has everyone thing else.

Listen, "history" is an abstract. It's a concept. It's not something you can take with you or pick up and hold close to you. It's an idea.

The only thing we have from those old Baltimore teams is the logo and the Jerseys. Baltimore has everyone thing else.

Read my post again I was more or less building what you were saying.

The team probably would have stayed in a stadium that was delapatated, small crowds in the stands but the city decided to flex muscle and said, we will just take the rights to your team. The city would have owned the Colts and taken away from an owner. Was this right? Should any governmental agency have the right to take your business providing your making your obligations of payment on loans etc...? NOPE!! Baltimore should be more ticked at the Mayor of Balt back then for making this forced decision anyways moreso than at Irsay.

I'd feel a lot more sorry for Baltimore if they hadn't turned and jacked a team from Cleveland and then try to pretend like that was justified because of what the Colts did. Honestly if you listen to Baltimore you'd think the Colts are the only team in the history of sports to move. The truth is Baltimore is just the only city that can't get over a team moving.

The big difference is that balt bougth the franchise and the city relented as the city was able to broker a deal to keep the name and the colors. That deal was very weird because of the support of the fans. Bad team but well supported by the fans.

You are correct, the Colts own all the history, all the records and whether they are the Indy colts, Balt Colts or the Utah Colts, the same will be true. I think Jim Irsay has been nothing short of gracious to try and be gracefull about this whole deal and not flaunt it at Baltimores face. You think if JJ owned this team, he would be so gracious? heck no, he would have Unitas and others painted on top of the stadium and sell merchandise out the wazzoo. Balt needs to just let it go and enjoy the history they have developed with a very good team of their own.

I'm one of the ones who has to constantly defend myself from the fans here in Baltimore, didn't think I';d have to defend that stance here in this forum as well. They are hung up by the name and records traveling to Indy. It was a different time, and most here "forget" that the city and state not only wouldn't help with a new stadium, but also tried to take the team. I'm very glad they put the team name on the scoreboard. Bob Irsay is an unspeakable name here, but Jim has done a lot of good toward smoothing that over. Honestly, it isn't nearly as bad here as it used to be. There are still pockets, but for the most part people have moved on. The ones that have not are the ones that usually get the publicity.

Was it all just the Colts fault? Didn't the city of Baltimore have something to do with them leaving? Whatever happened I'm glad it did.

interesting, i watched the 30 for 30 about the whole move to indy last night, pretty interesting. That brought the people of baltimore out to be mad mainly because of the sneaking out at night, and Irsay lying to everyone through the media that they werent moving and that he hadnt been going to meetings looking for places to go, when he had been.

Cool history lesson though

Let them whine. They're sad because they can't make any deep playoff runs...

You realize though they did get their SB banner before we did, right? We have made about 1 or 2 more deep runs than them and that is with PM at the helm for the past 10+ years. I like what they have built over there and they may improve on that playoff record with a solid defence and a better offense than Dilfer led to the SB several years ago. They are on better track to repeat than the Indy Colts are right now.

I understand the older generation still holding a grudge. I know if the Colts left now I would despise them especially if they picked up in the middle of the night and cut out like they did in Baltimore. It would be like asking Seattle fans to get over the Sonics leaving.

I do not understand why the younger generation holds a grudge. They either knew Baltimore as the city with no football team or the city that has the Ravens. They have no reason to be mad especially since they stole the Browns from Cleveland.

interesting, i watched the 30 for 30 about the whole move to indy last night, pretty interesting. That brought the people of baltimore out to be mad mainly because of the sneaking out at night, and Irsay lying to everyone through the media that they werent moving and that he hadnt been going to meetings looking for places to go, when he had been.

Yeah the problem for Irsay was he was going to lose his rights to his own business in the following morning it appeared and the City wasn't willing to help him resolve any of the issues with the stadium until after the city/state took over the business. It sounded like he really had no choice but to negotiate a deal behind the scenes and move his franchise out in the middle of the night. Whatever the real behind the scenes story is/was, I would have done the exact same way if a governmental agency told me they were assuming my business because they could.

I am pretty sure that the city knew Irsay was trying to move the team after finding out about the eminent domain issue and the lack of desire to help build a new stadium for the Balt Colts but they kept on the pursuit of taking his team. Robert Irsay may have been the biggest, meanest, rudest uncarring, egomaniac, drunken owner, but nowhere in the reports did the reports say he wasn't paying his bills on time and meeting his obligations. He was a pee poor manager of his team but there are a lot of them, but you can't take a persons business just because you can as a government branch.

The last thing is, I seen the documentary a few years back and I can certainly understand the people's issues on losing their team. It is always the people who suffer for governments actions and a lot of people gave their souls to follow their favorite team but I do think in this case, the anger was misdirected at the Irsay's when it should have been squarely placed on the mayor/governor for puling the tactics they did that forced Irsay to make the choice he did. You don't see a Sony or Pfizer or any other business leave town and the building behind but allow someone else to keep their name and clients etc... The only way that happens is if you buy the company and the turn key operation including name, business and everything as it was. The Indy Colts should have the name and all the stuff that comes with it from Balt and it should not even be a question. The team left behind what the city/state owned, the stadium and the parking lot. I wished they would have brought the band along with em too just to keep that tradition alive of the team but oh well...

Seems like that's what teams are doing now. That's weird to me.......seems to me the history belongs to the franchise.

I mean when other businesses relocate they don't change their name.

That was a special time in the nfl and a great fan base. From that perspective, I understand it.

From what I have read it was arrogant,stupid politicians that led to the Colts moving. It also did not help with putting a sub-par team on the field the last few years they were in Baltimore.

My favorite part of that movie was Jim Irsay, he even knew his dad was out of his mind. I love him telling the story of how he was in Indianapolis and called his dad and his dad was like what are you there for and he said um you sent me...

Harboring a grudge is awful. It's would be similar to disliking a perfectly sensible decision to rest starters for a meaningless few regular season games, and then bringing it up 3 years later as if it's still relevant.

At least no one's done that. Wait a minute... <_<

LOL, Typical, needless shot on 3/4 of your forum family. Yes but sticking to the topic 1 for the last 9 probably does' nt ease the pain.