Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Did The Chargers Trade Drew Brees Again?

bap1331

Not only did they trade him, but they passed up on Larry Fitzgerald and drafted Eli Manning (eventually Rivers). Why draft a backup QB when you're starter is healthy and fine. Imagine Brees, Fitz, and LT on the same offense.

They didn't trade him they let him leave as a free agent.

At the time Rivers was drafted Brees looked like a bust. Then he had a great season when they let Rivers sit and came back and played the next year and then he suffered a major shoulder injury and his contract was up so the Chargers had to make a choice, either trade Rivers and resign Brees unsure what he would be like after his injury or play Rivers and just let Brees walk. They choose to do the later.

oh yea. but they still let him go. lol. Rivers is pretty good but Drew Brees is way more consistent!

There is a big difference in trading someone and just letting them leave as a free agent though.

Like I said the key was at the time Rivers was drafted Brees looked like a bust. Clearly if he had been playing like he does now they would have just stuck wth Brees and probably gotten another player in that draft.

With that said the idea of trading Rivers and resigning Brees was starting to gain steam till Brees got hurt. That's what really did him in with the Chargers. They choose to go with the younger guy (who was going to be cheaper after Brees new contract) than resigning the older guy coming off a major shoulder injury to a bigger contract.

I'd hate to be a Chargers fan you have had to see both guys you could have had (Eli Manning and Brees) win Super Bowls with less talented teams than yours and you can't even get to a Super Bowl. Now with that said I think the later says more about the Chargers orginzation (namely the head coach) than it does Rivers.

Sound very familiar to what the Colts are going to have to deal with....hindsight is always 20/20....remember Brees had major issues with that shoulder and not many people thought he would ever regain form. Rivers (except this year) has played at a pretty high level...It's their D and special teams that have let them down time and again.

Because they they essentially drafted a player that sat on the bench for 3 years that was worthless to the team for that period of time for the most part and could have drafted an extremely dynamic player such as Larry Fitzgerald. Just another example that Eli Manning was right for wanting nothing to do with that franchise.

At the time Rivers was drafted Brees looked like a bust. Then he had a great season when they let Rivers sit and came back and played the next year and then he suffered a major shoulder injury and his contract was up so the Chargers had to make a choice, either trade Rivers and resign Brees unsure what he would be like after his injury or play Rivers and just let Brees walk. They choose to do the later.

Exactly! He was a free agent. Moreover, I am not sure what the deal is with this revisionist history in this thread. Brees could play, but there were serious injury concerns.

Yes, excellent point. Everything is different in hind-sight. The Chargers made the best decision they could at that point based on what they knew at the time. And who is to say that if the Chargers had chosen to keep Brees that he would have been able to do the same thing in San Diego, that he is doing in New Orlean's?

Not only did they trade him, but they passed up on Larry Fitzgerald and drafted Eli Manning (eventually Rivers). Why draft a backup QB when you're starter is healthy and fine. Imagine Brees, Fitz, and LT on the same offense.

Hi Andy, at that time when got rivers, Brees wasnt doing anything, then the year they got Rivers, Brees Broke out,

Then Rivers didnt want to keep sitting after a few years and was a dilema and then at seasons end Brees hurt that throwing shoulder and had surgery so he was the one to go

I believe that was essentially the order

Also in that eli / Rivers business I think they got LT out of it too in that draft with the extra picks

NOW I SEE essentially what i said just was , oh well , i got to your part in the thread and abnswered without reading rest of thread , ME BAD

If anyone has not read Drew's autobiography, I suggest it to you. He talks about all of this in depth. He showed a lot of promise in SD, but seemed to be injury prone, and the Chargers obviously thought that keeping him on the roster would be a risky move. It happens that way a lot of time. A guy has great talent, but if it isn't his time it just isn't going to happen. He was always meant to land in New Orleans and become a superstar. That was just how it worked out for him. Probably wouldn't have happened if he was with any other team.

And by the way, he was this close to coming to Kentucky instead of Purdue. When I read that it almost made me sick. It would have been awesome to see him play in UK blue, but like I said, he was supposed to go to Purdue. Maybe he would've decided to come to Kentucky and did absolutely nothing. Who knows...

Wow, here we are again.... *sigh*... this subject comes up almost every year and it still a somewhat sore subject here in San Diego. What all of you are saying regarding the situation back then is true. Brees was an unknown factor with a shoulder injury that was pretty severe. Rivers was riding the bench but quite capable to step in and run the offense. Brees was given the opportunity to go with another team and the rest, as they say, is history. As a Charger fan, my bigger complaint has to do with guys like Michael Turner and Darren Sproles. Again, however, the situations there were pretty much up in the air. My team has let a number of quality players leave with little, to nothing in return. Hindsight is always 20/20, but these guys get paid big bucks for anticipating things like these. We have let too many just slip through our fingers.

Hindsight... I loved Brees when we had him, but his shoulder injury was severe and it was really iffy whether he would be himself again. Also, he wasn't as good as he is now. If we had crystal balls all of us would be great GMs.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could run alternate universe timelines and see what "would've been" ... but we miss out on the flip side of that equation. What if he stayed here and was injured in a play that didn't happen in NO? He just as easily could have been a footnote in history. Only God knows and He's not tellin'!

Hindsight... I loved Brees when we had him, but his shoulder injury was severe and it was really iffy whether he would be himself again. Also, he wasn't as good as he is now. If we had crystal balls all of us would be great GMs.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could run alternate universe timelines and see what "would've been" ... but we miss out on the flip side of that equation. What if he stayed here and was injured in a play that didn't happen in NO? He just as easily could have been a footnote in history. Only God knows and He's not tellin'!

You're not kidding.... Brees looked like Mr. Potatohead running off the field with his arm bent all to crap after getting splattered.

It's tough to blame the Chargers for that decision, it was a nasty injury and they had Rivers waiting.

I picked the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl this year... its still possible if they pull another one of their late-season tricks.

If not....I think Norv and AJ are finished.

If you find that Crystal ball we could use it to redo a draft or two...

I think our shot at the playoffs is somewhere right about a 5% probability, one of our sports reporters calculated it. We really blew it this year. Of course that was helped along by the third straight year of insane injuries. We were down to 2 experienced offensive linemen at one point and the rest had started I think a whole 5 Chargers' games between them.... Rivers has a quick release, but 2 seconds "protection" just doesn't cut it. Jared Gaither pulled our bacon out of the fire (thanks KC!) The difference in the last two games is the protection and having all three major weapons back on the field at the same time.

It sure would be a great story if we could just get to the playoffs :-)