Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Talks About Co Existing With An Established Qb...

Well that's good, he seems passionate and I think that whole Aaron Rodgers thing is really the driving force behind this whole situation. Irsay mentioned it and now Luck mentions it.

Yeah, that's my best case scenario. It's going to take awhile for this team to get back on track IMO with personnel, coaching and possible scheme changes.

Well that's good, he seems passionate and I think that whole Aaron Rodgers thing is really the driving force behind this whole situation. Irsay mentioned it and now Luck mentions it.

These folks have clearly talked about this...

We're underestimating how well these boys dads know each other...

I'm sensing that Peyton will make allowances for Andrew (a series or two a game and special work with him) he woldnt make for soemone he does not know...

This may indeed be the perfect situation of succession...if Luck is as eager to be the successor to Manning as he suggests.

I'm sensing that Peyton will make allowances for Andrew (a series or two a game and special work with him) he woldnt make for soemone he does not know...

This may indeed be the perfect situation of succession...if Luck is as eager to be the successor to Manning as he suggests.

I agree their may be some way they can work Luck into the rotation. Maybe get him some reps somehow, he would also get plenty of preseason play. If the Colts are also beating someone by a good margin, then Luck might also be able to come in and get some reps.

Where did Luck indicate he was eager for this type of succession? I know my post is going to get downplayed and ripped apart by some people who are going to say I'm making things up or that I'm only reading into it what I want to read into it but really that's not the case.

But Luck was quick to point out that quarterbacks have also fared well after serving what amounted to apprenticeships while waiting their turn. Luck cited Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers, "who sat down for awhile and now [is] arguably playing better than anybody. Every situation is different."
"If you look at the league right now, all the rookies that are doing so well, I think it's very possible to start," Luck said.

Luck basically didn't say anything. He said on one hand it could be worthwhile to sit and learn but on the other hand it's also "very possible to start" (his words). He didn't say anything about what HE wants to do or thinks would be best for him. Maybe he's open to the idea of sitting behind Manning and maybe he's not. I'm not trying to speculate one way or another because based on his comments, there's no way to speculate.

I agree their may be some way they can work Luck into the rotation. Maybe get him some reps somehow, he would also get plenty of preseason play. If the Colts are also beating someone by a good margin, then Luck might also be able to come in and get some reps.

Maybe if they're up by a good amount late in the game, let him take about 15 snaps throwing 5 of those... plus they have the preseason where he should get 2 quarters, and if the Colts are having a great year, he'll play the last 1 or 2 games. They'll work him in.

Where did Luck indicate he was eager for this type of succession? I know my post is going to get downplayed and ripped apart by some people who are going to say I'm making things up or that I'm only reading into it what I want to read into it but really that's not the case.

Luck basically didn't say anything. He said on one hand it could be worthwhile to sit and learn but on the other hand it's also "very possible to start" (his words). He didn't say anything about what HE wants to do or thinks would be best for him. Maybe he's open to the idea of sitting behind Manning and maybe he's not. I'm not trying to speculate one way or another because based on his comments, there's no way to speculate.

You seriously have nothing to say ever. All you ever do in every thread is repeat information and say "theres no way to speculate" on anything. If you have nothing contributing to say other than basically saying you have no idea what to speculate, stay off the forum lol

Like do you seriously think hes gonna come out and say "OH YEAH DUDE MY PARENTS KNOW THE MANNINGS REALLY WELL AND ID LOVE TO GO AND SIT BEHIND PEYTON FOR A FEW YEARS!!!11" Please tell me you have more common sense than that.

I know my post is going to get downplayed and ripped apart by some people who are going to say I'm making things up or that I'm only reading into it what I want to read into it but really that's not the case.

Hey Jason.....if you play that interview in reverse he says "trade down and take Foles....trade down and take Foles....trade down and take Foles" rotfl

IMO the article/video seems to show that Luck is a stand up guy and would be willing to take any position that is given to him whether it is to start or to sit. He could've in a very light way easily stated in many ways that he would "prefer to play." The guy mentioned, "it would probably work out whatever the situation is." Watching the video to me this doesn't sound like speculation of him pulling a power play and going to a different team, but a stronger implication that he would be willing to learn and sit behind one of the greatest Qb's of all time and not throwing a fit. The only people blowing this out of proportion saying their is no way they can exist is the media& fans which is their obligation to stir up controversy and voice opinions, but it still is a valid topic due to the fact that is supposedly so NFL ready.

IMO the article/video seems to show that Luck is a stand up guy and would be willing to take any position that is given to him whether it is to start or to sit. He could've in a very light way easily stated in many ways that he would "prefer to play." The guy mentioned, "it would probably work out whatever the situation is." Watching the video to me this doesn't sound like speculation of him pulling a power play and going to a different team, but a stronger implication that he would be willing to learn and sit behind one of the greatest Qb's of all time and not throwing a fit. The only people blowing this out of proportion saying their is no way they can exist is the media& fans which is their obligation to stir up controversy and voice opinions, but it still is a valid topic due to the fact that is supposedly so NFL ready.

Very true, the ones that don't want to see Luck here because they think they're smarter than the experts and would have us draft much less talented players. Like I said in another post, we better listen to the "experts" here on on this forum because they are obviously better at evaluating talent after they read a few scouting reports and watched some youtube highlights to make their determinations. :rolleyes:

Very true, the ones that don't want to see Luck here because they think they're smarter than the experts and would have us draft much less talented players. Like I said in another post, we better listen to the "experts" here on on this forum because they are obviously better at evaluating talent after they read a few scouting reports and watched some youtube highlights to make their determinations. :rolleyes:

Lol not to name any users in particular of course..

But overall this to me shows that he would be fine in ANY situation hes put into. Whether thats starting or sitting. And as "luck" would have it, we just might end up with that #1 pick to take him. People are blind to history and realize that certain teams in the league build their teams a certain way and continue to do that over time. We are no different to this notion.

I didn't gain anything out of this video as well. All I got is the same thing I get from Peyton Manning's interviews, their both sick and tired of the same questions and believe there is a time and a place for those questions. I feel bad for him, he just wants to focus on his college career and the upcoming bowl game and people want to ask him questions about 6 months in the future. He and Peyton have enough on the minds, leave em' alone. They didn't answer the question the first time, their not gonna answer the second time. They'll both answer the questions when they're ready.

You've got to be kidding me... you actually believe that? No quarterback ever would give some backup playing time because they "know eachother." That only happens if Peyton has a 40 point lead in the 4th quarter. You think that Peyton would risk a game on trying to give Andrew Luck so gametime practice? No one would do that.

So... how will Luck sit on the bench for 4 years?

Maybe Peyton will play for 10 more years, maybe he won't.

Drafting a quarterback just seems like such of a waste of a pick... you could do so much better.

How are we going to function as a team if Manning gets injured as well?? Very strong possibility that could happen, other teams will be gunning for him. Would you rather have a CB like Morris Claiborne if that happens :facepalm:. You have possibly one of the best QB drafts in history, you take a QB like Luck, Griffin, Barkley or whatever QB the organization thinks is suitable if they are going prepare for the future. Your looking at 4 years max with a healthy Manning if we are Lucky, some people act like that's a decade. The time to prepare for the future is now.

You seriously have nothing to say ever. All you ever do in every thread is repeat information and say "theres no way to speculate" on anything. If you have nothing contributing to say other than basically saying you have no idea what to speculate, stay off the forum lol

Like do you seriously think hes gonna come out and say "OH YEAH DUDE MY PARENTS KNOW THE MANNINGS REALLY WELL AND ID LOVE TO GO AND SIT BEHIND PEYTON FOR A FEW YEARS!!!11" Please tell me you have more common sense than that.

And do you seriously think that IF Luck decided he didn't want to sit for 4 years that he's going to come out and say "heck no I don't want to sit that long, I want to play now so if the Colts try to draft me I'll refuse to sign!"? No, of course he wouldn't so it works both ways. ;) I simply said that he didn't indicate any eagerness to sit behind Manning. He said that in some situations that sitting and learning has worked out but in other situations playing right away has worked out. If you want to read more into his comments than that then go right ahead. People can speculate all they want as to what they think will happen but using that interview as "proof" one way or another is just foolish.

I guess many of the posters here missed the clause in the forum rules that specifies no one can post a thought or opinion that doesn't agree with Balzer and/or media "experts".. :rolleyes: .

I didn't gain anything out of this video as well. All I got is the same thing I get from Peyton Manning's interviews, their both sick and tired of the same questions and believe there is a time and a place for those questions. I feel bad for him, he just wants to focus on his college career and the upcoming bowl game and people want to ask him questions about 6 months in the future. He and Peyton have enough on the minds, leave em' alone. They didn't answer the question the first time, their not gonna answer the second time. They'll both answer the questions when they're ready.

I agree completely. Luck said a lot but in reality he didn't say anything. He said that in some situations, sitting and learning has been effective, but in other situations playing right away has been effective. These guys (Andrew, Peyton, Polian, Irsay) aren't going to say anything concrete until the time comes when they have to. I have no doubt they're each contemplating all of the potentially possible scenarios but they're not going to say anything to the media before the time is right and right now, the time is not right.

I would have liked to have seen the full video though instead of the edited version in that video. Several of the comments that he was quoted on weren't included in the video, such as when he talked about Rodgers sitting behind Favre and then when he discussed Dalton/Newton playing right away.

And do you seriously think that IF Luck decided he didn't want to sit for 4 years that he's going to come out and say "heck no I don't want to sit that long, I want to play now so if the Colts try to draft me I'll refuse to sign!"? No, of course he wouldn't so it works both ways. ;) I simply said that he didn't indicate any eagerness to sit behind Manning. He said that in some situations that sitting and learning has worked out but in other situations playing right away has worked out. If you want to read more into his comments than that then go right ahead. People can speculate all they want as to what they think will happen but using that interview as "proof" one way or another is just foolish.

But he also infered that he wouldn't be opposed to sitting either. You are however infering that Peyton has 4-5 years left which in all likelyhood isn't true. I would be willing to bet if next year Peyton comes back and we magically win the Super Bowl, he'd retire. Luck is showing to be once in a generation type player. Once again I say you have nothing to contribute other than adding to your insanly high post count. You simply repeat said information and never input anything other than stating you really don't know which way to speculate. You are on a forum, its okay to state your opinion once in a while bud.

But he also infered that he wouldn't be opposed to sitting either. You are however infering that Peyton has 4-5 years left which in all likelyhood isn't true. I would be willing to bet if next year Peyton comes back and we magically win the Super Bowl, he'd retire. Luck is showing to be once in a generation type player. Once again I say you have nothing to contribute other than adding to your insanly high post count. You simply repeat said information and never input anything other than stating you really don't know which way to speculate. You are on a forum, its okay to state your opinion once in a while bud.

I've discussed my opinions on Luck before and what I think we should do with the #1 pick. I've discussed it to the point I'm sick of discussing it. My opinion about Luck though had nothing to do with the reason I posted in this thread. I posted in this thread to state my opinion which is that we learned nothing about Luck's intentions from this article/video. He said a lot without saying anything at all, which is what generally happens when the media interviews players/coaches/owners. The media is always trying to get the scoop and find out what it is that a player really wants, but a smart and professional player is never going to give the media what the media wants. There was no way Luck was going to come out and say that he wants to be a Colt and he has no problem being #2 on the depth chart behind Manning just like there was no way he was going to come out and say he wants to play right away so he would force a trade.

My opinion is that we didn't learn anything from this interview and to think that we did is wishful thinking. People who want Luck to come in and sit behind Manning may see this interview as proof that Luck will be fine with that because he said:

But Luck was quick to point out that quarterbacks have also fared well after serving what amounted to apprenticeships while waiting their turn. Luck cited Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers, "who sat down for awhile and now [is] arguably playing better than anybody. Every situation is different."

And at the same time, people who don't want us to take Luck may see this interview as proof that Luck would force a trade because he'd want to play right away since he said:

"If you look at the league right now, all the rookies that are doing so well, I think it's very possible to start," Luck said.

My opinion is that anyone who "learned" anything about Luck's intentions from this interview are grasping at straws. I have no idea what Luck plans to do...just like no one else here has no idea what Luck plans to do. People can speculate all they want but using this interview as proof one way or another is just grasping at straws.

You are correct that I inferred 4 more years of Manning because that's my opinion. Your opinion is:

"I would be willing to bet if next year Peyton comes back and we magically win the Super Bowl, he'd retire."
. I disagree. In my opinion, if Manning is 100% and is able to return then he'll play out the remaining 4 years on his contract.

I've discussed my opinions on Luck before and what I think we should do with the #1 pick. I've discussed it to the point I'm sick of discussing it. My opinion about Luck though had nothing to do with the reason I posted in this thread. I posted in this thread to state my opinion which is that we learned nothing about Luck's intentions from this article/video. He said a lot without saying anything at all, which is what generally happens when the media interviews players/coaches/owners. The media is always trying to get the scoop and find out what it is that a player really wants, but a smart and professional player is never going to give the media what the media wants. There was no way Luck was going to come out and say that he wants to be a Colt and he has no problem being #2 on the depth chart behind Manning just like there was no way he was going to come out and say he wants to play right away so he would force a trade.

Duh Sherlock. No one said this gurantees he wants to be a Colt but it also shows that he isn't opposed to the idea either like many (NOT YOU IN PATICULAR) have stated he is.

My opinion is that we didn't learn anything from this interview and to think that we did is wishful thinking. People who want Luck to come in and sit behind Manning may see this interview as proof that Luck will be fine with that because he said:

And at the same time, people who don't want us to take Luck may see this interview as proof that Luck would force a trade because he'd want to play right away since he said:

My opinion is that anyone who "learned" anything about Luck's intentions from this interview are grasping at straws. I have no idea what Luck plans to do...just like no one else here has no idea what Luck plans to do. People can speculate all they want but using this interview as proof one way or another is just grasping at straws.

You are correct that I inferred 4 more years of Manning because that's my opinion. Your opinion is:

. I disagree. In my opinion, if Manning is 100% and is able to return then he'll play out the remaining 4 years on his contract.

And how do you infer he could play out the remaining 4 years? For one its a 5 year deal with the last 2 being optional. With that said, 3 is more than likely the fair number of years to give Peyton. Maybe he could play those out but its hard to see it being at a high level considering most QB's that are in his age range in history see a dimishisment in play level. There have been only a few QB's to play into their 40's and those that did weren't exactly elite to begin. (Flutie and Testeverde come to mind).

Duh Sherlock. No one said this gurantees he wants to be a Colt but it also shows that he isn't opposed to the idea either like many (NOT YOU IN PATICULAR) have stated he is.

That's the point. No it doesn't. This interview does not show what he is or is not personally opposed to for his situation. What it shows is that he is acknowledging that in some situations sitting has worked while in others, playing right away has worked. This interview gives no indication either way as to what he thinks is right for his situation.

And how do you infer he could play out the remaining 4 years? For one its a 5 year deal with the last 2 being optional. With that said, 3 is more than likely the fair number of years to give Peyton. Maybe he could play those out but its hard to see it being at a high level considering most QB's that are in his age range in history see a dimishisment in play level. There have been only a few QB's to play into their 40's and those that did weren't exactly elite to begin. (Flutie and Testeverde come to mind).

You asked for my opinion and I gave it. No one said anything about Peyton playing into his 40's. At the end of the final season of his contract, if my math is right, he'll be 39 about to turn 40. That's not "playing into his 40's"...he won't even be 40 at the end of the final season of his contract, though he will only be a couple of months away from it. That said, guys like Marino, Elway, Favre and Warren Moon were still playing at an elite level at the age that Peyton will be at the end of his contract. Favre and Moon were the ones who tried to go a little too long and their performance did begin to decline after they passed 40. So yes, I do believe that Manning can continue to play through the end of his current contract at an elite level.

I guess many of the posters here missed the clause in the forum rules that specifies no one can post a thought or opinion that doesn't agree with Balzer and/or media "experts".. :rolleyes: .

You do the same thing as well Jason. You interject your opinion on every Luck thread on the forum trying to convince people there are better ways to go than drafting him. And nobody cares if you agree with the media "experts" or not, but to act as if your evaluations are better or smarter than theirs, is ridiculous.

You do the same thing as well Jason. You interject your opinion on every Luck thread on the forum trying to convince people there are better ways to go than drafting him. And nobody cares if you agree with the media "experts" or not, but to act as if your evaluations are better or smarter than theirs, is ridiculous.

Listening to the "experts" is the same as listening to Jason, who has a good point.. its just an opinion. Who cares if they get paid to make an opinion, or have the tag "expert" on them. The experts were also the ones who said Jamarcus russel and ryan leaf would be good payers. Balzer, instead of reading what the "experts" wrote and say look at Andrew Luck yourself and evaluate him. Jason and I really dont see anything that special thats why we want to trade the pick and have a better team OVERALL. We could pick up barkely or RG3 with one of those picks. Both who have just as much as potential as luck.....

Wow NFL.com continues to lose its credibility with me, I don't know about you guys. You wanna see the definition of jumping to conclusions? Here it is....

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

And the title of this article on NFL.com is Stanford's Luck willing to join team with established passer

Yeah i read that today. Total nonsense. they seriously want a story that bad..... I really hope some people on this forum dont use that as an example that luck wants to play behind peyton just cuz an "expert" wrote it.

Isn't the entire purpose of the forum to share opinions? I didn't realize we weren't allowed to share opinions or propose ideas that go against popular belief. Was I supposed to receive a Lemming Card when I registered here? If so it never came. Who do I talk to about getting a replacement?

:popcorn:

Yeah i read that today. Total nonsense. they seriously want a story that bad..... I really hope some people on this forum dont use that as an example that luck wants to play behind peyton just cuz an "expert" wrote it.

Agreed. But people are already using it. Heck scroll up and read post #4. lol

How are we going to function as a team if Manning gets injured as well?? Very strong possibility that could happen, other teams will be gunning for him. Would you rather have a CB like Morris Claiborne if that happens :facepalm:. You have possibly one of the best QB drafts in history, you take a QB like Luck, Griffin, Barkley or whatever QB the organization thinks is suitable if they are going prepare for the future. Your looking at 4 years max with a healthy Manning if we are Lucky, some people act like that's a decade. The time to prepare for the future is now.

No duh I'd rather have a CB like Morris Claiborne, haven't you figured that out by now? Your playing the studid "what if" game. Do you really think that Andrew Luck would come in and start winning games with this team? I'd rather have 3 solid players over one good QB.

And Peyton can play for 20 years if he wants too if he's playing well.

Once again, it's such a waste of a pick to draft a backup quarterback, we could do so much better...

These colts fans are pathetic. They want a quarterback? Haven't we heard all these whiners complaining about the defense and non existent running game for years? And now you want a quarterback? How hypocritical can you be...

It's not just Rodgers thats done that, Palmer sat, Rivers sat, heck even Eli Manning sat at the very start of his career. For a while after Manning was picked that was the thing to do was sit your rookie QB and let him learn becaue a lot of the top guys taken who had to play right away struggled. It's only been since Ryan and Flacco came along and started having major success as rookies followed up by the Sanchiez getting the Jets to back-to-back AFC TItle games did it become you have to play your rookie right away again.

Once again, it's such a waste of a pick to draft a backup quarterback, we could do so much better...

These colts fans are pathetic. They want a quarterback? Haven't we heard all these whiners complaining about the defense and non existent running game for years? And now you want a quarterback? How hypocritical can you be...

It does not make you a popular member of a forum when you are bashing the fans and people who post on it.

Just pointing that out as something to think about.

It's not just Rodgers thats done that, Palmer sat, Rivers sat, heck even Eli Manning sat at the very start of his career. For a while after Manning was picked that was the thing to do was sit your rookie QB and let him learn becaue a lot of the top guys taken who had to play right away struggled. It's only been since Ryan and Flacco came along and started having major success as rookies followed up by the Sanchiez getting the Jets to back-to-back AFC TItle games did it become you have to play your rookie right away again.

It is a good thing for a rookie to sit if he's not ready. No one is disputing that, or at least I'm not. It's not a good idea to have a rookie sit for 2 years, definitely not 3, and absolutely not 4. Carson Palmer sat for a year and he played pretty for the rest of his career in Cleveland. Eli Manning sat for a few games and then came in and he has turned out well. Philip Rivers has turned out well after sitting for 2 seasons I think. Aaron Rodgers has turned out well after sitting for a long time in 3 seasons.

The thing is, would these quarterbacks have played well if they started right away? Maybe they would have, maybe not.

It does not make you a popular member of a forum when you are bashing the fans and people who post on it.

Just pointing that out as something to think about.

I have found that I am not exactly fond of a lot of posters on here. I won't insult you unless you deserve it, and I am even hesitant before at that. The most you'll find me criticizing someone is saying they are clueless. Sometimes though, like what you quoted, hypocrits drive me crazy...

I have found that I am not exactly fond of a lot of posters on here. I won't insult you unless you deserve it, and I am even hesitant before at that. The most you'll find me criticizing someone is saying they are clueless. Sometimes though, like what you quoted, hypocrits drive me crazy...

Courtesy is what we ask for here. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Try to see another's point of view. We all love our Colts, and although we don't always agree on everything, we always want the best for our team.

We are our own little community of Colts family. :)

No duh I'd rather have a CB like Morris Claiborne, haven't you figured that out by now? Your playing the studid "what if" game. Do you really think that Andrew Luck would come in and start winning games with this team? I'd rather have 3 solid players over one good QB.

And Peyton can play for 20 years if he wants too if he's playing well.

I will give you $3.50 if he plays another 20 years.. Hey don't get me wrong Colts could get RGiii and some +++. I'm pretty sure Polian seems set on taking the best available QB. Go IU!!!!!!!!