Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you really believe this team compares to the 2006 team?

RockThatBlue

Sorry, but no. Here's why I take issue with it.

1. The o line was 100x's better than this one. Manning wasn't being hit on every other throw like Luck.

2. Yes, the defense was brutal. But this D has no Bob Sanders coming in to save it during these playoffs.

3. I love Andrew Luck, but Peyton was not the turnover machine that Luck is sometimes. Which needs fixed.

4. That 2006 team had a very solid run game. I do believe Addai had over 1000 yards and D.Rhodes was solid too.

Now the only comparison that you can make is that neither team had many expectations for the post season. But that's where it ends. Being realistic is not being negative. I think we can beat Cinci but outside of that this team may be in real trouble. This is not the 2006 squad, please stop the silly comparisons to that team.

This team is not that team. In fact that 2006 squad would probably beat this years colts team by 20+ points in a head to head game.

Now I hope to eat lots of crow but a playoff run is super unlikely. I'll sit back and watch and hope like hell that I'm wrong.

1. The o line was 100x's better than this one. Manning wasn't being hit on every other throw like Luck.

2. Yes, the defense was brutal. But this D has no Bob Sanders coming in to save it during these playoffs.

3. I love Andrew Luck, but Peyton was not the turnover machine that Luck is sometimes. Which needs fixed.

4. That 2006 team had a very solid run game. I do believe Addai had over 1000 yards and D.Rhodes was solid too.

Now the only comparison that you can make is that neither team had many expectations for the post season. But that's where it ends. Being realistic is not being negative. I think we can beat Cinci but outside of that this team may be in real trouble. This is not the 2006 squad, please stop the silly comparisons to that team.

This team is not that team. In fact that 2006 squad would probably beat this years colts team by 20+ points in a head to head game.

Now I hope to eat lots of crow but a playoff run is super unlikely. I'll sit back and watch and hope like hell that I'm wrong.

Wow that would super entertaining to see the 06 team face this team. And I agree. I think the 06 team would obliterate this Colts team.

One of the biggest differences is we had a seasoned veteran in Manning. I often think if the Colts use TRich like Addai was used he might be more valuable. Addai was basically a blocker for Manning and caught passes out of the backfield. That is something TRich is pretty good at. Just a thought.

I wouldn't say 100% better but yes better

Bob Sanders wasn't the magic answer that year, it was total defense that stepped up

Yes but Manning has issue in the post season with turnovers himself, see New England

This is tagged with the O-line issues

​Really, most NFL analyst didn't have Indy getting past KC in 06

Again, just not a thoughtful answer here

One of the biggest differences is we had a seasoned veteran in Manning. I often think if the Colts use TRich like Addai was used he might be more valuable. Addai was basically a blocker for Manning and caught passes out of the backfield. That is something TRich is pretty good at. Just a thought.

Yeah, except Manning didn't exactly play great during that playoff run.

We all like to grasp for straws, hoping they fit some paradigm of a positive outcome, I am just as guilty as everyone else is. Have done that several times myself.

In the end, each playoff run for each team is unique, and based on how well the team steps up to the plate and executes. Some play to the best of their abilities when the going gets tough and others don't and playoff results are often defined by a few lucky bounces and a team going toe-to-toe for 60 minutes against everyone that they play. That is all I can ask of this Colts team, that they do not let any game get away, stay in it for 60 minutes so that we have a chance in the last 2 minutes of the 4th qtr.

Doesn't matter how Manning looked statistically during that run. That 2nd half vs. New England was some of the best football we've seen him play. Baltimore had the best defense in the entire league that year and the Colts moved the ball down the field well at times thanks to Manning.

But to answer the OP's question, I think a more fair comparison would be the 2012 Baltimore Ravens. Similar circumstances but it could end up being a different result.

Maybe Reggie Wayne will tell the locker room that its his last ride and that transforms the team into super elite contenders?

Doesn't matter how Manning looked statistically during that run. That 2nd half vs. New England was some of the best football we've seen him play. Baltimore had the best defense in the entire league that year and the Colts moved the ball down the field well at times thanks to Manning.

But to answer the OP's question, I think a more fair comparison would be the 2012 Baltimore Ravens. Similar circumstances but it could end up being a different result.

Maybe Reggie Wayne will tell the locker room that its his last ride and that transforms the team into super elite contenders?

If reggie did that we would not have enough leaders to lead this team. Plus our head coach is nowhere near Harbaugh level in terms of leading and coaching.

The 2006 team had a much better line, a solid rushing attack, a dependable Dallas Clark, Peyton with Tom Moore, and an enforcer on defense in Bob Sanders. Not to mention a healthy Mathis and Freeney.

Bob's return for the playoffs changed the face of that defense. This defense doesn't have that kind of player.

marvin over ty

06 reggie over 14 reggie

dwight over bjoern

mathis over walden

dallas over coby

sanders over landry

saturday over harrison

manning over luck

dungy over pagano

moore over pep

addai over trich

rhodes over herron

glenn over ac

diem over cherilus

av push av

mcafee over smith

davis over david

not really a close contest is it

The 2006 offense was loaded with stars. The 2006 team had a much better quarterback. This team would get destroyed by the likes of Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, and Rhodes. This years team would score some points but I would imagine the game would end up a lot like our Pittsburgh game this year.

2006 Colts 51

2014 Colts 34

Manning didn't play that well vs the ravens. Tough defense, but a rather forgettable performance.

Manning didn't play that well vs the ravens. Tough defense, but a rather forgettable performance.

If you watch that game, he didn't play half bad. I'm by no means saying he played great, but he had some big throws that made the difference. That 3rd down conversion to Dallas Clark to set up AV's 5th field goal was huge.

marvin over ty

06 reggie over 14 reggie

dwight over bjoern

mathis over walden

dallas over coby

sanders over landry

saturday over harrison

manning over luck

dungy over pagano

moore over pep

addai over trich

rhodes over herron

glenn over ac

diem over cherilus

av push av

mcafee over smith

davis over david

not really a close contest is it

Really, the 06 defense was gashed all year but finally showed up for the playoffs like Flacco did  2 yrs ago.

Addai was an infinitely better runner than Richardson.

Check his stats that playoff run...        Peyton had ONE BIG half of football,  the rest...  uhhhhh.    That ring was EARNED with stellar D and a running game.  

Manning had NO business getting that MVP in the SB, Addai and Rhodes should have split it.

The biggest similarity to the '06 team is the uniforms.

and getting blown out late in the season before the playoffs and playing poor football in December after playing much better football earlier in the season. 

Again, like I said I think it's the situation more than how the teams are made up.

Check his stats that playoff run... Peyton had ONE BIG half of football, the rest... uhhhhh. That ring was EARNED with stellar D and a running game.

Manning had NO business getting that MVP in the SB, Addai and Rhodes should have split it.

Manning was not at his best during that playoff run but he had huge moments against New England and Baltimore. We don't win those games with a lesser QB (Luck, Brady, etc.)

That 06 team was not very good just were lucky to get bob sanders back and had some playoff magic. What I love about the playoffs any team that makes it can get hot and win it all what happened in the season does not matter anymore .

It was bound to happen. When you make the playoffs every single year and keep putting yourself in a position to get to a Super Bowl, it will eventually happen. Then when you make it to the Super Bowl and are lucky enough to be matched up against Rex Grossman, it's a perfect storm, and that year was a perfect storm. We get matched up against a mediocre, one dimensional KC team, go to Baltimore and win a game without scoring a touchdown, get New England at home because a Chargers DB tried to return an INT instead of just falling down and eventually fumbling. If he falls down and we have to go to San Diego for the championship game, we lose.

The 2006 team had a much better line, a solid rushing attack, a dependable Dallas Clark, Peyton with Tom Moore, and an enforcer on defense in Bob Sanders. Not to mention a healthy Mathis and Freeney.

Bob's return for the playoffs changed the face of that defense. This defense doesn't have that kind of player.

It can be argued Mike Adams can be that kind of impact player after the year he had, Unfortunately he is no spring chicken, But he had a fantastic year

I disagree..       the Baltimore game Luck's LEGS would have killed the RAVENS.  

but whatever... .   

Manning was not at his best during that playoff run but he had huge moments against New England and Baltimore. We don't win those games with a lesser QB (Luck, Brady, etc.)

Gotta have "playmakers" ...

Indy has LUCK, TY, Davis, and.............................

06 had Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, June, Jax, Bethea, Addai, Rhodes, MARV, REGGIE, CLARK...  

ok now should I name the starting OL?

OK.. .  Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, and RYAN DIEM....      (pretty sure)  I have the game on DVD

Does that comepare in any way to this team?

That 06 team was not very good just were lucky to get bob sanders back and had some playoff magic. What I love about the playoffs any team that makes it can get hot and win it all what happened in the season does not matter anymore .

So Grossman winning over Drew Bress and Matty Hasselbeck was "lucky" ... ?   It's a team game genius. 

Rex played "good enough"l that year, not so much IN the RAIN IN MIAMI...     as Manning did.     Or didn't.

Dilfer was "good enough" ...   and on and on...  

Rex and the Bears getting there is something to be proud of.. .

It was bound to happen. When you make the playoffs every single year and keep putting yourself in a position to get to a Super Bowl, it will eventually happen. Then when you make it to the Super Bowl and are lucky enough to be matched up against Rex Grossman, it's a perfect storm, and that year was a perfect storm. We get matched up against a mediocre, one dimensional KC team, go to Baltimore and win a game without scoring a touchdown, get New England at home because a Chargers DB tried to return an INT instead of just falling down and eventually fumbling. If he falls down and we have to go to San Diego for the championship game, we lose.

06 had Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, June, Jax, Bethea, Addai, Rhodes, MARV, REGGIE, CLARK...  

OK.. .  Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, and RYAN DIEM....      (pretty sure)  I have the game on DVD

Does that comepare in any way to this team?[/quot

Even with those guys we were playing bad football and nobody thought we were going to win the superbowl

With 3 games to go in the season.... 

Dungy BENCHED Gilbert GRABner, put Rob Morris at OLB, got Sanders back at S, and they GOT BOOGER.

From then on INTO the playoffs the Colts played LIGHTS OUT.   ..   

they shut down the GREAT Larry Johnson, who was supposed to run all over us.       And they beat the Ravens @ Balt.     Ravens top ranked D....      5 Vinny FG's...   No fluke ...    good team coming together.

It can happen this year... but I don't see the individual talent to make it happen. 

Not close...    but the QB is here.

Does that comepare in any way to this team?[/quot
Even with those guys we were playing bad football and nobody thought we were going to win the superbowl

Check his stats that playoff run...        Peyton had ONE BIG half of football,  the rest...  uhhhhh.    That ring was EARNED with stellar D and a running game.  

I was referring to the whole year, not just the playoffs. The title to the thread is the 2006 team compared to now.

Did you read any of my posts?    "YOU asked do these teams compare"       I replied...   "Check his stats on THE PLAYOFF RUN" ...???      Which started 3 games prior to the actual KC game.     

I do it too when I am smashed ...   no worries..  

I was referring to the whole year, not just the playoffs. The title to the thread is the 2006 team compared to now.

Did you read any of my posts?    "YOU asked do these teams compare"       I replied...   "Check his stats on THE PLAYOFF RUN" ...???      Which started 3 games prior to the actual KC game.     

I do it too when I am smashed ...   no worries..  

Sorry John I didn't ask anything. I made a comment about the differences in the roster and especially TRich and Addai. I am not smashed and have not been for over 24 years. It's no big deal.

So Grossman winning over Drew Bress and Matty Hasselbeck was "lucky" ... ? It's a team game genius.

Rex played "good enough"l that year, not so much IN the RAIN IN MIAMI... as Manning did. Or didn't.

Dilfer was "good enough" ... and on and on...

Rex and the Bears getting there is something to be proud of.. .

How did our other Super Bowl go when we had to play against an actual quarterback who could actually walk without falling down and not throw the other team the ball multiple times? Chicago beat New Orleans on a freezing cold, snowy day. We were very fortunate to play Rex Grossman, because he was terrible.