Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri hopes to finish the season perfect

chad72

This is something all Colts fans should root for. Greatness with errors is possible in a season. But perfection, it is easier said than done. Adam Vinatieri will join Gary Anderson of Vikings in 1998 and Mike Vanderjagt of our Colts in 2003 to be the only kickers to be perfect during the regular season if he remains perfect in the last game vs the Titans.

Hopefully Pagano does not ask AV to kick too many 50 yarders :). This record is meaningful to me and one of the few big positives of the entire season for the Colts. All Colts fans should be rooting hard for Adam when Sunday comes.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/12/26/7450995/adam-vinatieri-looking-to-finish-regular-season-perfect

I think this is special. Vandy was in his prime in 2003. I don't know how old Anderson was, but Vinny doing this after he'd been written off in 2009 when he was hurt, it's a big deal. And he's made some long kicks, too.

Someones always wanting to write Vinny off around here to, It never fails. Though that talk has seemed to have pretty much ceased this year on the forum.......Though that's in large part I think because the O Line having there issues, Richardson continuing to have his issues, Our defense issues and for some reason many people have gotten overly worried about Lucks ints

Someones always wanting to write Vinny off around here to, It never fails. Though that talk has seemed to have pretty much ceased this year on the forum.......Though that's in large part I think because the O Line having there issues, Richardson continuing to have his issues, Our defense issues and for some reason many people have gotten overly worried about Lucks ints

that and he hasn't missed anything. It's hard to bash a guy when he has literally been perfect all year.

And he knocks over his 43 consecutive in kick in the last few seconds of the Super Bowl to win the game.

Then the Disney screen writers start their work....

As far as magical dream scenarios go, I'm cool with that vision BHC. AV can even write a successful children's book called "The Man With The Golden Foot. " 

The sarcastic side of me would roar with laughter if a reporter said, "Adam you just won the SB. What are you gonna do now?"

"I'm going to go to Universal Studios. Mickey Mouse & Disneyland is overrated & boring as hades."  haha  I would love it if the reporter was from ESPN too now owned by the Disney Corporation. 

Yeah, I know. I'm sick & twisted. It's one of my best character traits man.  :D

[No offense to my friend BHC who is awesome BTW. SW1 is just being goofy. Not the cartoon character just being odd I guess.] 

I don't hold many kickers in high regard, but AV is 1 of those select few, I revere. Enough said. 

I think he will join the very elite group of kickers in the hall of fame. There are only four with Sammy Baugh, George Blanda, Leo Groza and Paul Hornung.  While three of these greats played QB Groza played tackle. There are some who think Baugh was the GOAT and a lot can be said for that. At one time Sammy lead the league in touchdown passes, Punting and interceptions in 1943. That was all done before the football was streamlined like it is today.  He still holds two records today in the QB position. Pretty amazing I think!  If Adam gets the nod into the HOF he would be the only pure field goal kicker in.

Our defense issues and for some reason many people have gotten overly worried about Lucks ints

Wait,  what?!?

What is the appropriate amount of worry over Luck's interceptions?

At what level does one reach "overly worried"...???

Luck's interceptions are back up around his rookie level after he cut them in half last year.    You think that's reason NOT to worry?

Really?     Seriously?

Wait,  what?!?

What is the appropriate amount of worry over Luck's interceptions?

At what level does one reach "overly worried"...???

Luck's interceptions are back up around his rookie level after he cut them in half last year.    You think that's reason NOT to worry?

Really?     Seriously?

Well, interceptions certainly aren't a good thing but he's thrown the ball a ton this year and 9 of his 16 ints came off tipped passes.

Well, interceptions certainly aren't a good thing but he's thrown the ball a ton this year and 9 of his 16 ints came off tipped passes.

I'm not sure why you make the argument about tipped passes.    If a pass is being tipped before it's being picked off,  odds are pretty strong the pass was bad to begin with.

It's either being tipped by defensive players -- not good -- or it's being tipped by offensive players -- not good.

Either way,  it's not good.

Add 6 lost fumbles to his 16 interceptions and you have a year of turnovers that is closer to his rookie year than his 2nd season.

Which is also not good.

I'm not sure why you make the argument about tipped passes.    If a pass is being tipped before it's being picked off,  odds are pretty strong the pass was bad to begin with.

It's either being tipped by defensive players -- not good -- or it's being tipped by offensive players -- not good.

Add 6 lost fumbles to his 16 interceptions and you have a year of turnovers that is closer to his rookie year than his 2nd season.

Which is also not good.

The fumbles are a result of a poor O-line that has allowed Andrew to take more hits than any other QB in the NFL this year. Also he throws the ball at a higher rate than any one in the NFL so naturally there will be more INTs. And tipped passes is a valid argument because it can either be off of your receivers hand who should have caught it or tipped at the line of scrimmage like in the Dallas and Houston game.

Which is also not good.

Our receivers lead the league in dropped passes and our O-line has allowed Luck to take over 70 ​hits. And this is a QB who is good at avoiding hits. Luck definitely needs to work on getting the ball out quicker, but that's about the only criticism I can level at him. 43 tds and 22 turnovers isn't the most efficient ratio of all time or anything, but consider how tough a job he has. Most of the time when we play good teams our running game does absolutely nothing, putting all the pressure on Luck to keep up with the opposing offense (which is hard to do, because our defense has played some horrible games against good teams.) I think it's unfair to single out turnovers and also not consider that he threw for 1000 more yards and 17 more tds than he did last year as well.

Our receivers lead the league in dropped passes and our O-line has allowed Luck to take over 70 ​hits. And this is a QB who is good at avoiding hits. Luck definitely needs to work on getting the ball out quicker, but that's about the only criticism I can level at him. 43 tds and 22 turnovers isn't the most efficient ratio of all time or anything, but consider how tough a job he has. Most of the time when we play good teams our running game does absolutely nothing, putting all the pressure on Luck to keep up with the opposing offense (which is hard to do, because our defense has played some horrible games against good teams.) I think it's unfair to single out turnovers and also not consider that he threw for 1000 more yards and 17 more tds than he did last year as well.

There's a difference between receivers leading the league in dropped passes,  and passes that should've been caught and wind up as interceptions.

You can't have it both ways.    Last year we all praised Luck for cutting his interceptions in half from his rookie year 18-9 and lowering his fumbles lost 5-2,   and so this year,  when interceptions go up from 9-16 and fumbles lost go up from 2-6 then he gets some of the blame again.

I'm not saying it's all his fault.   Far from it.   But he's got to get some....

I'm well aware that the o-line gives up tremendous pressure on to Luck,  and that we had virtually no running game for half a season...   and that our defense is spotty.    It all leads to Luck having to do most everything if our offense is to have any success.

I really get all that.

But he also has to get his share of the blame for forcing passes when he shouldn't.   For making reckless throws when he shouldn't.    For not doing a good enough job of protecting the ball.    He gets his share of the blame.

And I think Luck would be the first to say that as well.    I think he'd agree with my assessment.

That's my opinion,  of course your mileage may vary.......