Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whats your measure of success for this season?

RockThatBlue

Are you just okay with an 11-5 record, even if we are one and done?

Or

Are you okay with winning just our first playoff game?

Or is it super bowl or bust?

Honestly IMO I would be pleased if we just win our first game with how our season has went the last month. I had super bowl aspirations but at this point that's basically a pipe dream. I normally wouldn't call winning our first playoff game than maybe being slaughtered in the second round a successful season, but this season is a bit different. Don't get me wrong, its still a tad disappointing but at this point I'll be satisfied if we just win against Cincy or Pittsburgh.

I would like to see us win a playoff game or two. I mean, It'd be a stretch to say that this isn't a successful season just because we didn't win the SB, only one team can win it every year. I think we have a better chance entering the playoffs this year (yes, I know we've been playing bad lately) to make a run because we're healthier than last year at this point in the season.

Ultimately ya play to win the SB as a team, If we end up playing Pitt in the WC however Ill settle for giving them a taste of there own medicine in what they did to us in Pit(That really made my blood boil) and run the ball down there throats......I however realistically dont see that happening this year, Ill settle for beating them through the air

We need to win at least one playoff game.      A playoff win is a successful season.

But if we don't,  it's a disappointing year.

Honestly,   even if we win a game,  and then get blasted by the likes of NE, or Denver, or someone else,  it will still be disappointing to me.

The defense has evaporated over the 2nd half of the season,  and frankly,  for the most part,  so has the offense.    The O has completely lost it's Mojo.     We often look lost on both sides of the ball.

Very disappointed to see this....

Will be interesting to see how we play in the post-season....

Naturally every Colt fan would love to have a super bowl win. In all reality the Colts are still a draft and a couple of free agents away from being in the top tier. The Colts have over achieved every since Luck stepped on to the field. Only three seasons into a five year plan. In three years we have seen a total rebuild with the exception of four players. Out of those four players two of them are kickers and one is on IR. The fourth is waiting for off season surgery. With success comes expectations and when those expectations are not met too many turn overly negative. We have some very good pieces in place but better pieces are needed. IMO the biggest need is the offensive line. Shore that up and Luck will not have to carry the offense on his shoulders. Under the circumstances I would have to say the Colts have been a success with all things considered.

The season is already a success by making the playoffs. But hopefully pressure will be applied on GM and HC by Irsay to greatly improve the oline for next year. Luck's health is on borrowed time. It would be inexcusable to have him concussed out of football due to the craptastic olines he has played behind.

I think we need to win a playoff game. The disappointing thing about this year has been the blowout losses where it sure seems like we are miles away from the ability to beat the good teams. It gives the impression that we a long ways away from being in the Denver/New England class but I think we're closer than the blowouts indicate. A couple of playmakers and we're in the ballpark.

I want to see consistent progress and improvement.  1-5 against playoff caliber teams does not cut it.  The Superbowl is the reason the game is played, and anything less is a failed season, with different shades of failure.  Some teams are perpetually drenched in failure, the Colts are not one of them...fortunately.

So, in my mind, I want a Superbowl win above all to define success, and consistent improvement towards that goal to measure success.

I want to see consistent progress and improvement.  1-5 against playoff caliber teams does not cut it.  The Superbowl is the reason the game is played, and anything less is a failed season, with different shades of failure.  Some teams are perpetually drenched in failure, the Colts are not one of them...fortunately.

So, in my mind, I want a Superbowl win above all to define success, and consistent improvement towards that goal to measure success.

Good point, progress is a sign of a successful season. I don't agree that anything other than a SB is failure. Those two statements contradict each other.

To me, it seems like we've improved talent at just about every position (except for losing Mathis) over last year. Yet, the team hasn't progressed.

That's definitely not a successful season.

I'm assuming we don't win the Super Bowl. And when our playoff run is over, no matter how deep we go, it will be disappointing. 

That said, I think we can look at the team right now, regardless of what happens in the playoffs, and know that there's still a LOT of work to do. The team has plateaued in the second half of the season. We need an infusion of talent at some key spots, and to make some adjustments in other areas.

So whether or not the team is relatively successful, I think we can all agree that this offseason is a perfect opportunity to do all we possibly can to take a big step forward for 2015. 

I'm assuming we don't win the Super Bowl. And when our playoff run is over, no matter how deep we go, it will be disappointing.

That said, I think we can look at the team right now, regardless of what happens in the playoffs, and know that there's still a LOT of work to do. The team has plateaued in the second half of the season. We need an infusion of talent at some key spots, and to make some adjustments in other areas.

So whether or not the team is relatively successful, I think we can all agree that this offseason is a perfect opportunity to do all we possibly can to take a big step forward for 2015.

i get what you saying about disappointment but I think there are levels of disappointment. Like I was disappointed when they lost to New England last year but I was able to go well this was about as far as I could see them going and it was alright. It wasn't the extreme disappointment of say 2005 when I felt like they blew it in the post season.

i get what you saying about disappointment but I think there are levels of disappointment. Like I was disappointed when they lost to New England last year but I was able to go well this was about as far as I could see them going and it was alright. It wasn't the extreme disappointment of say 2005 when I felt like they blew it in the post season.

Yeah sure, but it feels the same for the next couple of days.

Are you just okay with an 11-5 record, even if we are one and done?

Or

Are you okay with winning just our first playoff game?

Or is it super bowl or bust?

Honestly IMO I would be pleased if we just win our first game with how our season has went the last month. I had super bowl aspirations but at this point that's basically a pipe dream. I normally wouldn't call winning our first playoff game than maybe being slaughtered in the second round a successful season, but this season is a bit different. Don't get me wrong, its still a tad disappointing but at this point I'll be satisfied if we just win against Cincy or Pittsburgh.

E very season is about making the playoffs.

If you do: that's a success..if you dont it s a failure.

But it will be a disappointment not to go back to New England and take on the Patriots again.

Your really have to break the NFL into 2 seasons.  The regular season has been a disappointment, regardless of the outcome of the Titans game, based on my expectations for what we were capable of heading into the season.  Expectations for the playoff season are driven by what we learned about our team during the regular season.  Today, we merely need to play sound football and win a wildcard game at home for the playoff season to be a success.

Yeah sure, but it feels the same for the next couple of days.

i guess for me they didn't. After the pats game last year I wasn't really upset They had met my expectations for the season so I was like dang I wish they could have won but oh well. In 2005 there was just a real sense of disappointment at least for me. So far most of the Manning loses lasted a lot more than the ones under Luck. I don't know maybe I am just getting older and don't care as much but I don't think that's the case.

i guess for me they didn't. After the pats game last year I wasn't really upset They had met my expectations for the season so I was like dang I wish they could have won but oh well. In 2005 there was just a real sense of disappointment at least for me. So far most of the Manning loses lasted a lot more than the ones under Luck. I don't know maybe I am just getting older and don't care as much but I don't think that's the case.

Yeah, I think 2005 was particularly disappointing, for a lot of reasons. To that point, that was the team's best chance at winning a Super Bowl. 

The offensive line was ATROCIUS in that playoff game versus Pitt.  Worst I've ever seen them block in 13 years of watching Colts football. I was really, really dissapointed in the Colts after witnessing that game.  That Colts team was supposed to go straight to the Super Bowl. Just didn't happen!

For this season, I was looking for progress

We seemed to be trending better on defense, then went backward

We seemed to be trending better on offense, then went backward

This season isn't finished, and hopefully this team can put it together to make a stab at NE or Denver

All in all...... I was expecting more

Luck hasn't had the 4th quarter magic this year, and seems to have regressed a bit on ball protection

Still love my team, but they need to get some major holes filled