Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congrats Jim Caldwell

Ken S.

Seriously happy for this guy. I thought he caught a bad break and became the scapegoat after our tank season to get Luck. Look at his resume: He took our Colts to the Super Bowl. He won a Super Bowl as the OC of the Ravens. And he has a great shot at getting the Lions a 1st round bye in the NFC. I know a lot of you guys probably didn't want this guy because he wasn't flashy or a big name, but he's done well wherever he went. I think we let a good one get away.

Or Peyton took us to the SB then lost the Superbowl, and then he proved that he couldn't overcome a mediocre quartberback with his coaching. Then couple that with the fact that it is foolish to force a head coach on a new GM, and there is no way he should have stayed here. Happy for the guy, but let's not pretend he was good at the time. He learned from the experience of being trashed and dropped. And it's not like the Lions didn't have the talent to make the playoffs beforehand. And he is the not maker of their top defense.

Or Peyton took us to the SB then lost the Superbowl, and then he proved that he couldn't overcome a mediocre quartberback with his coaching. Then couple that with the fact that it is foolish to force a head coach on a new GM, and there is no way he should have stayed here. Happy for the guy, but let's not pretend he was good at the time. He learned from the experience of being trashed and dropped. And it's not like the Lions didn't have the talent to make the playoffs beforehand. And he is the not maker of their top defense.

With all of the major injuries we had that year, nobody could have done anything with that team. And again, it wasn't meant for us to win games that year anyway after Peyton was done for the year. Not when the consensus was that there was a once in a lifetime QB waiting there to be drafted, along with a pretty good Heisman QB at the time also. And it's funny you said how the Lions couldn't make the playoffs, because they couldn't...lol. Not since 2011 with the same talent that has been there and now in his first year, they have to chance to have a 1st round bye. No matter how much it pains you, you have to give the guy credit. Everyone is questioning if we should have kept BA, so why isn't everyone saying we should have kept JC when he's doing the same and has already won much more than BA. 

So take a look at what he did with the Ravens. He helped Flacco look like an all star QB. Now look at Flacco after Cauldwell left. He looks like two different QBs. I understand if you don't care for him but the facts and the numbers don't lie.

He has done well around the NFL. Clearly. But here with Chris Polian and co. He didn't do well.

Not to forget Bill was at his absolute worst at that point, becoming a complete control freak.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Caldwell when he was here, but the guy definitely was in a bad position at the end and had an undeserved amount of the blame. Who knows how he would have done had they stuck with him the next season, but after the front office was changed I doubt he would have survived anyways.  Still, he has done incredibly well with Lion regardless of whether they beat the Packers or not.  Not to forget they found ways to win without their best player in the middle of the season, which many thought they couldn't do. Also, his discipline has really gotten the best out of Suh and they are not destroying themselves with penalties. 

So take a look at what he did with the Ravens. He helped Flacco look like an all star QB. Now look at Flacco after Cauldwell left. He looks like two different QBs. I understand if you don't care for him but the facts and the numbers don't lie.

Flacco had his worst year under Caldwell.

Flacco had his worst year under Caldwell.

I guess his ring tells a different story. Like BigMac says, he might not have had big numbers in regular season but he did have some excellent playoff numbers. It was enough to get him paid very well. Now that Cauldwell is gone Flacco is not doing too well.