Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we have kept Bruce Arians?

James

Pagano or Arians?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Pagano or Arians?

• Pagano
    • Arians

I would have been a tough decision Pagano's situation taken into consideration, but do you think Arians would have been the better choice? The Cardinals have far more talent on defense, but their offense is nothing to write home about. With the Colts it's the complete opposite. I'm just starting to doubt the decision to go with Pagano.

We couldn't have kept him.  He wanted to be a head coach and the Cardinals offered him that position.  He took it.  I don't think there was anything we could have done to keep him other than offer him Pagano's position.  But given that Pagano had barely coached that year, we couldn't know what we were giving up.

We couldn't have kept him.  He wanted to be a head coach and the Cardinals offered him that position.  He took it.  I don't think there was anything we could have done to keep him other than offer him Pagano's position.  But given that Pagano had barely coached that year, we couldn't know what we were giving up.

Yeah, this isn't a real question since it wasn't an option.

I should have been more clear. It would have been a choice between the two for the HC position. Arians proved he could win games with minimal talent, while Pagano was the unknown factor. Maybe the decision to keep Pagano was based on the fact that it would have been cruel to fire an ill coach.

I should have been more clear. It would have been a choice between the two for the HC position. Arians proved he could win games with minimal talent, while Pagano was the unknown factor. Maybe the decision to keep Pagano was based on the fact that it would have been cruel to fire an ill coach.

"Arians proved he could win games with minimal talent."

He did........and so is Pagano this year

it's hindsight. Can you imagine the blowback if we fired a coach that had just come back from cancer? talk about bad press. Of course looking back now? Who knows? But at the time it would have been a terrible move

Almost as bad as the blowback of getting rid of Manning after his surgery. :peek::sarcasm:

Hindsight is 20/20, but it certainly says that Arians was responsible for pulling together a bunch of rookies and FAs into a good team. Coach Chuck just inherited that squad and has done nothing much more with it...and is probably incapable of doing anything close to Arians game coaching and team preparation not to mention personnel evaluation and selection.

This thread is very funny. Fire pagano and keep Arians and imagine the bad press we get. Arians got a top 5 defense. He is winning in Zona with defense not his usual motto where he loves offense and throws the deep ball. We need better personel on defense period. And we lost today to probably the best OLINE in the NFL. Relax we are in the playoffs. Need to regroup and focus that's all.

Agreed. Let's also remember Pagano was coming off surgery. What a PR nightmare it would be for the Colts to kick a sick guy to the curb in favor of an interim coach, when Pagano did commendable with what little time he had. Furthermore, Pagano (age 54) is much younger than Arians (age 62), so there's a question how much Arians had left in the tank. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but these are the decisions that must be made.

if colts play in cards conf , they be loser and miss the playoffs.

Arians did nothing special here. Same stuff Pagano did. Arizona is a very talented team. They should be winning games no matter what coach they h

Arians absolutely did something special here.  He took over HC duties and still was the OC at the same time.  Guided us to the playoffs with a bunch of rookies and a few vets.  Special. When Arizona called him to be HC, people here pushed him out the door and laughed that he was going to a talent starved team with no QB and a worse O line than the Colts.  To top it off, they'll be getting crushed by SF ans Seattle 2 times a year apiece for a long time.  Well, we see how that all worked out... as AZ competes this evening vs. the Seahawks with a 3rd string QB...

Arians absolutely did something special here.  He took over HC duties and still was the OC at the same time.  Guided us to the playoffs with a bunch of rookies and a few vets.  Special. When Arizona called him to be HC, people here pushed him out the door and laughed that he was going to a talent starved team with no QB and a worse O line than the Colts.  To top it off, they'll be getting crushed by SF ans Seattle 2 times a year apiece for a long time.  Well, we see how that all worked out... as AZ competes this evening vs. the Seahawks with a 3rd string QB...

Arizona had a great defense before Arians got there and a decent offense. Get a decent quarterback in Carson Palmer and any coach could have worked with that offense. Pagano has done more with less talent.

I like Arians and all, but why do you think he's on his 3rd string QB?  Stubborn insistence on sticking with his long-developing, vertical offense that got Big Ben repeatedly injured, the same offense that Colt fans were worried would get Luck killed, and the same offense that apparently IS getting his current QBs killed seeing as he's on his 3rd starter in Mr. Lindley.

Add in that Pagano was interviewed by Grigson and probably Irsay, so they knew him better whereas Pagano was the one who got in touch with Arians.  Grigs and Irsay had the choice to hire Arians, but went with Pagano instead.  They hand-picked Pagano.  Arians proved he could win with minimal talent, but we wouldn't know if Pagano could do better

I like Arians and all, but why do you think he's on his 3rd string QB?  Stubborn insistence on sticking with his long-developing, vertical offense that got Big Ben repeatedly injured, the same offense that Colt fans were worried would get Luck killed, and the same offense that apparently IS getting his current QBs killed seeing as he's on his 3rd starter in Mr. Lindley.

Interesting observation....and without a consistent rushing attack to augment his QB meat-grinding passing fetish, he's now been beaten down by Seattle twice, been crushed by Denver and even lost to Atlanta.

Can't run the ball....can't beat elite teams.

Who knew??

I liked Arians, and was happy he got his HC deal.  He's a winner.  Pagano is also a winner.  Nowhere have I said I would rather have Arians, It's a moot point.  Didn't vote in the poll, liked OffensivelyPC post  on 'where's the it doesn't matter' choice. And yes, Arians does like to take shots down the field. Luck is just more durable than Palmer and Stanton, because he is getting pounded just as much now since Arians left.  And no QB in the league has more converted pass plays >20 yards than Luck.  Talk about long developing plays.  And if Luck attempts more than 27 passes in his last game, he will have thrown more passes this year than he did in his rookie year under Arians, which was 627 attempts. (Luck is at 600 even right now through 14 and 3/4 games).  So I don't get the Arians kills QB's when there is not stat or eye test that shows Luck is taking any less of a beating since Arians moved on.{shrug}

Interesting observation....and without a consistent rushing attack to augment his QB meat-grinding passing fetish, he's now been beaten down by Seattle twice, been crushed by Denver and even lost to Atlanta.

Can't run the ball....can't beat elite teams.

Who knew??

If it wasn't for the Seattle and Atlanta references ( and put in Steelers and Patriots instead), I would have though you were talking about the Colts 2014.  ;-)

I think this poll is completely and totally embarrassing.

Of all the things NOT to lock-up and close and yet it remains active.......?

It's a silly poll with too few options, but it does foster an interesting conversation. 

Arians was handed the reins to control the HC operations of an NFL team for the first time in his career when he entered the year thinking only of his OC duties (2012 colts). He executed his OC duties brilliantly, and by any reasonable measure, he did just as well with the HC duties forced upon him. 

It's a good question; Did we have a better HC a few years ago, one that was listed as our OC? 

It's a silly poll with too few options, but it does foster an interesting conversation. 

Arians was handed the reins to control the HC operations of an NFL team for the first time in his career when he entered the year thinking only of his OC duties (2012 colts). He executed his OC duties brilliantly, and by any reasonable measure, he did just as well with the HC duties forced upon him. 

It's a good question; Did we have a better HC a few years ago, one that was listed as our OC? 

You and I disagree.    I thought Arians was a terrible Offensive Coordinator for the Colts.

But, I thought he was a fabulous Head Coach.    I was far more impressed with him as the HC than I was as the OC.  

Night and Day.

And by the way,   I said all this back in 2012 and I've been saying this ever since whenever the topic comes up.   This is not something I came to well after the fact.