Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots calls

bap1331

How many times are the refs going to grab a 4&1 yard ball and move it up another yard like with Amendola? It bothers me when they get away with many calls. I remember last year when it was like 3rd down in the playoffs against the pats and luck was running for a first down but one of the defensive lineman trips Andrew Luck (with his foot since he couldnt tackle him) short of the first. Its clear that the refs should see whats going on with WHOEVER has the ball.

Its like i see so many favors for the big teams but they penalize all the smaller teams like the Colts. Its like boxing where its rigged. Like Seahawks and Broncos in the Super Bowl would really benefit the NFL profit wise but definitely not a Lions, Colts Super Bowl. You get where i am going?

Little things affect the outcome and now the Pats are with an undeserved home field advantage...

Lots of bad calls all day today. You win some, you lose some. I thought Amendola had clearly got the first down and they marked him short. I will admit that when they measured it looked short by at least an inch. I am not sure what the rule is but the ball looked short of the goal stick. Not sure if there needs to be a chain link or not. But I saw space between the tip of the ball and the pole. A fortunate call but I have no doubt Bill would have went for it on fourth and picked it up with a Brady sneak.

How many times are the refs going to grab a 4&1 yard ball and move it up another yard like with Amendola? It bothers me when they get away with many calls. I remember last year when it was like 3rd down in the playoffs against the pats and luck was running for a first down but one of the defensive lineman trips Andrew Luck (with his foot since he couldnt tackle him) short of the first. Its clear that the refs should see whats going on with WHOEVER has the ball.

Its like i see so many favors for the big teams but they penalize all the smaller teams like the Colts. Its like boxing where its rigged. Like Seahawks and Broncos in the Super Bowl would really benefit the NFL profit wise but definitely not a Lions, Colts Super Bowl. You get where i am going?

Little things affect the outcome and now the Pats are with an undeserved home field advantage...

Losing teams do losing teams. No way Geno should have taken a sack on third down when the Jets were in easy FG range. And of course the Jets ran on third and 9 in the red zone as well. I felt they  played scared offensively during some of the game.

You do realize the Pats blew out the Colts in Jan? Actually the last 3 times they have played since Luck took the helm ...

You do realize the Pats blew out the Colts in Jan? Actually the last 3 times they have played since Luck took the helm ...

it has everything to do with mistakes though. Had Luck gotten the offense going instead of getting tripped, im sure momentum can change very quickly.

Little things like getting a sack on a 3rd down putting the field goal kicker into a situation for a long field goal in cold weather.. that he then missed?

Undeserved?  They've beaten every single division leader in the AFC, including the Bronco's who they're tied with... so they've clearly earned their seed position so far, and will need to continue to earn it by beating the Bills next week.

Little things like getting a sack on a 3rd down putting the field goal kicker into a situation for a long field goal in cold weather.. that he then missed?

Undeserved?  They've beaten every single division leader in the AFC, including the Bronco's who they're tied with... so they've clearly earned their seed position so far, and will need to continue to earn it by beating the Bills next week.

Over the last 5 games the Pats D is letting up an average of 16 points. 16.

What we saw today Jerod is championship style football by the defense and STs. That stop after the Brady pick was MONEY. That is what it will take to get the ring. This is the type of game like the SD game two weeks ago that have bounced us from the playoffs the last few years. We are proving we can win when our O is not clicking.

Except that this didn't happen at all.

The ball reached the 48 yard marker.

That was clearly where the official marker was.

Therefore, a clear and easy first down .

Except that this didn't happen at all.

The ball reached the 48 yard marker.

That was clearly where the official marker was.

Therefore, a clear and easy first down .

Yeah that was my take as well. When they marked the ball it was at the 48 yard marker. I don't know what went on with the chains but it was a first down. 

If they didn't get that 1st down, I guarantee you BB would have challenged the spot. They marked it nearly a yard short of where Amendola ended up.

Aside from that, we saw the on-field measurement from a camera that was probably not exactly at the 48-yard line. Meaning, the angle was probably deceiving to the eyes. The confusion was because of the late signal from the ref and the chain gang missing it. 

Why did Freeman getting a taunting call for yapping at Randle yesterday. It appeared at the time to be a huge call but in the end it meant nothing. Anyway he made a great 3rd down drive stopping tackle and yelled something at Randle. I understand that this call can be made but my question is why don't I see the famous "Gronk" called for this. Just about every good or big catch he makes involves the same thing. He is constantly yelling and screaming at the guy that he beat or the defender that had a tough time bringing him down. 

Why did Freeman getting a taunting call for yapping at Randle yesterday. It appeared at the time to be a huge call but in the end it meant nothing. Anyway he made a great 3rd down drive stopping tackle and yelled something at Randle. I understand that this call can be made but my question is why don't I see the famous "Gronk" called for this. Just about every good or big catch he makes involves the same thing. He is constantly yelling and screaming at the guy that he beat or the defender that had a tough time bringing him down. 

I think it depends what is said and if the refs hear it.

How can you fail to see the difference?

Freeman stood over the offensive player, leaned over him, looked down, and taunted him. Gronk has never done that.

yeah these taunting calls for screaming over the top of somebody is too subjective. It gives the impression the refs call it when they want. I want to add, how many crazy calls went against the Colts to start that game yesterday? The holding call when Luck got hit in the face and face masked was absurd. Drive killers and drive boosters change the game. Those two calls alone could have caused a 14 point swing, making the game tighter, which changes the game enormously.

I don't buy that the refs make calls to favor one team on a regular basis, especially teams with big fan bases.  Otherwise the Jets and the Giants would be one of the best teams in the league.

I do think they do protect "name" quarterbacks more then most and I do think they like anyone else will see things through the lens of reputation.  

How can you fail to see the difference?

Freeman stood over the offensive player, leaned over him, looked down, and taunted him. Gronk has never done that.

Gronk is constantly yelling at the player. So it's the fact that Freeman leaned down ?  K

yeah these taunting calls for screaming over the top of somebody is too subjective. It gives the impression the refs call it when they want. I want to add, how many crazy calls went against the Colts to start that game yesterday? The holding call when Luck got hit in the face and face masked was absurd. Drive killers and drive boosters change the game. Those two calls alone could have caused a 14 point swing, making the game tighter, which changes the game enormously.

You forgot the second drive when Fleener was mugged on a little 5 yard pass that would have been a first down.

I think it depends what is said and if the refs hear it.

Could be and I'm not saying Gronk should be flagged. Just saying he's constantly jawing at defenders after plays. Yeah .. Freeman leaned over him but I see so much similar stuff go without penalties . 

Colts fans have to whine about the refs more than any other fan base. Doors blown off, team didn't even show up, Luck was pulled in the third quarter, Romo had such a fantastic day that he is now in the MVP discussion ... and you are discussing a taunting call? Really? How about the ridiculous fake punt from your own 20??

Could be and I'm not saying Gronk should be flagged. Just saying he's constantly jawing at defenders after plays. Yeah .. Freeman leaned over him but I see so much similar stuff go without penalties . 

Not sure why you are singling out Gronk. I see every diva receiver from Jackson to Bryant taunting after every score. Heck, rookie Beckman was jawing at the entire opposing sideline yesterday after every catch. Like I said, I think it is more what is said and if the player gets up in the face like Freeman did and if the refs hear it.

Players yell at each other all the time.

Standing over someone and yelling at them is against the rules. Read the rule book.

I just read the rule book and I see nothing specific that says Gronk or any player can yell at players he dominates because he's not standing over them . Nothing at all that infers you are correct with what you state. 

Not sure why you are singling out Gronk. I see every diva receiver from Jackson to Bryant taunting after every score. Heck, rookie Beckman was jawing at the entire opposing sideline yesterday after every catch. Like I said, I think it is more what is said and if the player gets up in the face like Freeman did and if the refs hear it.

He just comes to mind because to be truthful he does it constantly and to me he does it in a pretty adamant way. 

I just read the rule book and I see nothing specific that says Gronk or any player can yell at players he dominates because he's not standing over them . Nothing at all that infers you are correct with what you state. 

I saw the play in question.  To me, it looked like the Jet player continued pushing Gronkowski after the TD was scored and was lucky he was not called for roughness.  Gronkowski was likely telling him something about scoring anyhow.

Screen capture of the measurement:

B5aDhtlCUAAOXsQ.jpg

The camera angle (as I suggested) makes it very difficult to tell. But imagine if you took two or three giant steps to your right here so that you were standing right at the first down line. 

There is no chain link between the tip of the ball and the pole but there looks to be space between the ball and the pole but then again the ref has the pole tilted forward so it looks exaggerated. The whole thing was kind of bizarre. I thought the original spot was off and Amendola clearly had the first but it was reviewed and the ball was not moved.

I don't buy that the refs make calls to favor one team on a regular basis, especially teams with big fan bases.  Otherwise the Jets and the Giants would be one of the best teams in the league.

I do think they do protect "name" quarterbacks more then most and I do think they like anyone else will see things through the lens of reputation.

I always thought that refs get reviewed..and if they want to ref the playoffs..they need to be as good as they can be and straight up.

Obviously, refs can be intimidated ..like anybody else...

....and ooaches lean on them..,some more effectively than others..