Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Resting Players to Increase Chances in Playoffs

MJD42

What are everyone's thoughts on teams resting players this time of year? If both NE and Denver win this week then they have locked up the byes which means many players may get rested in the final game which has playoff implications for other teams as NE plays Buffalo the last game of the year who is in the playoff hunt for one of the WCs.

Are people generally in favor of resting players or do you feel it comprises the integrity of the game?

In general, I don't have an issue with it. I think for teams that have put themselves in position to be able to rest players, they should even though it can comprise the competitive climate.

The only time it really bothered me was in 2009 when Indy pulled Manning in the second half vs the Jets when they were 14-0 because a loss for the Jets in that game knocked them out of the playoffs. The Jets won and then got to play Cincy the following week who rested their players the final week because they had their seeding locked up so the Jets got in to the playoffs basically with its final two opponents handing them two victories. It was maddening as a Pats fan. :hissy:

What are everyone's thoughts on teams resting players this time of year? If both NE and Denver win this week then they have locked up the byes which means many players may get rested in the final game which has playoff implications for other teams as NE plays Buffalo the last game of the year who is in the playoff hunt for one of the WCs.

Are people generally in favor of resting players or do you feel it comprises the integrity of the game?

if both Denver and ne win this week they won't be resting players next week. Denver could still get the number one seed.

if both Denver and ne win this week they won't be resting players next week. Denver could still get the number one seed.

True. Both are likely to rest starters last week of the season if NE beats Jets and Denver loses to Cincy. Otherwise they both play it out for the top seed.

In general, I don't have an issue with it. I think for teams that have put themselves in position to be able to rest players, they should even though it can comprise the competitive climate.

The only time it really bothered me was in 2009 when Indy pulled Manning in the second half vs the Jets when they were 14-0 because a loss for the Jets in that game knocked them out of the playoffs. The Jets won and then got to play Cincy the following week who rested their players the final week because they had their seeding locked up so the Jets got in to the playoffs basically with its final two opponents handing them two victories. It was maddening as a Pats fan. :hissy:

Maddening to Pats fans? Think how most of us felt. Single worst decision in sporting history...

Just insane...BHC.....still bothers me....

We risked injury to Manning when the team was 14-0 .....but they then pulled him in time to lose to an inferior team and spoil a 16-0 season.....and the rationale was they didn't want Manning (and other pulled starters) to get hurt.

Well...then why play him 3 quarters???

Then they lied and said that it is never a goal to win every regular season game?. Really?

1,000 coaches have always said that's always the goal because it always is.

To this day it made no sense..It'll never make sense.

You generally don't have a problem with it till the Colts did it? :woah:

Just insane...BHC.....still bothers me....

We risked injury to Manning when the team was 14-0 .....but they then pulled him in time to lose to an inferior team and spoil a 16-0 season.....and the rationale was they didn't want Manning (and other pulled starters) to get hurt.

Well...then why play him 3 quarters???

Then they lied and said that it is never a goal to win every regular season game?. Really?

1,000 coaches have always said that's always the goal because it always is.

To this day it made no sense..It'll never make sense.

Me thinks Mr. Polian had a say so in that matter. But that would be a negative thing for the Polian lovers who think he couldn't do no wrong? :dunno:

Resting starters is aggravating as a fan.  But, I'm ok with it (once I've been talked off the ledge).  It's not against the rules and it makes sense.  Keeping players healthy makes the playoff games better

It can be against the rules if you egregiously don't field a competitive team. You are required to put a product on the field.

I'm going to the last game and as a fan I agree you want to see the product. Which BB has stated in the past he believes in giving the fans just that. Not that he wouldn't take out certain players based on situation.

One year we had the seed locked up and the defense wasn't playing good. So as punishment he kept the whole starting squad in :)

To me yes. Cowardly, disrespectful, and decided on one man's ego. And in my opinion, cost us the championship.

As a Colt fan I don't have a problem with you opinion but as far as sports history I wouldn't go that far with all due respect. There are cases of cheating and even death related to sports. If you pay any attention to me I wasn't a Polian fan but it is what it is.

It can be against the rules if you egregiously don't field a competitive team. You are required to put a product on the field.

I'm going to the last game and as a fan I agree you want to see the product. Which BB has stated in the past he believes in giving the fans just that. Not that he wouldn't take out certain players based on situation.

One year we had the seed locked up and the defense wasn't playing good. So as punishment he kept the whole starting squad in :)

I would say that egregiously would be hard to define. There are coaches decisions made all the time. In some cases the GM as far as the Colts were concerned. Your example does not really fit the topic at hand.

I would say that egregiously would be hard to define. There are coaches decisions made all the time. In some cases the GM as far as the Colts were concerned. Your example does not really fit the topic at hand.

No you are correct it doesn't fit the topic at hand, I was just pointing out to Nadine that it CAN be against the rules if egregious which yes that would be hard to define unless its clear as night and day. :) And it could be mid season or whatever.

It's never happened that I know of. The colts came close so that's when they put division games at the end of the season.

Just out of curiosity should the Broncos sit Manning? He looks tired and injured to me. How would you feel if the Broncos did sit Manning and lost a seed position?

If he's really bad and 2 weeks off would get him healthy - yes I'd give up the seed to have a better chance in the playoffs.

No you are correct it doesn't fit the topic at hand, I was just pointing out to Nadine that it CAN be against the rules if egregious which yes that would be hard to define unless its clear as night and day. :) And it could be mid season or whatever.

It's never happened that I know of. The colts came close so that's when they put division games at the end of the season.

So the NFL put division games at the end of the season because of what the Colts did? I find that hard to believe. You think TV ratings had something to do with it? I also understand you are a Pats fan but to take this and make something out of it like that is wrong. All you had to do was look at Polians past and he was known to sit players if he had a seed wrapped up. He did it with the Bills and with the Colts. Just because the Pats got spanked by the Ravens that year don't look to blame the Colts.

So the NFL put division games at the end of the season because of what the Colts did? I find that hard to believe. You think TV ratings had something to do with it? I also understand you are a Pats fan but to take this and make something out of it like that is wrong. All you had to do was look at Polians past and he was known to sit players if he had a seed wrapped up. He did it with the Bills and with the Colts. Just because the Pats got spanked by the Ravens that year don't look to blame the Colts.

My comment has nothing to do with being a Pats fan. You should know me better than that :) plus I didn't even know it was the same year the Ravens beat us.

You can call it a coincidence if you want but the NFL was unhappy with that particular game. Yes Polian (and others to be fair) have rested in the past but that time was a little over the top. And yes TV ratings is what the NFL cares about so that undoubtedly is their ultimate reason.

I never really had any problems with Caldwell till that point. He should have ignored Polain and played his players. It's sad that the GM had the power to dictate what the head coach could do and not do.

That's all assuming Caldwell disagreed with pulling the starters. How do we know it was Polian 's decision and not Caldwell 's? then there's the even more likely scenario, imo, which is that it was something they both very much agreed on.

no resting it don't work anyway.

My comment has nothing to do with being a Pats fan. You should know me better than that :) plus I didn't even know it was the same year the Ravens beat us.

You can call it a coincidence if you want but the NFL was unhappy with that particular game. Yes Polian (and others to be fair) have rested in the past but that time was a little over the top. And yes TV ratings is what the NFL cares about so that undoubtedly is their ultimate reason.

I was pulling your leg a little with the Ravens comment. But I think the NFL changing the division teams playing each other at the end of the season has zero to do with what anything the Colts did or didn't do. It's all water under the bridge so it really don't matter. It is good to see Caulwell doing a good job in Detroit. Polian has become what he hated as a GM. How ironic?

I was pulling your leg a little with the Ravens comment. But I think the NFL changing the division teams playing each other at the end of the season has zero to do with what anything the Colts did or didn't do. It's all water under the bridge so it really don't matter. It is good to see Caulwell doing a good job in Detroit. Polian has become what he hated as a GM. How ironic?

It did though.  It was a direct response to the colts resting the starters.

I had tickets to last weeks Texans game and I still hesitate before going to late season games when so many things are decided.  But these days, the risk is lower.

Good game, good  time..........except for some reason every single play way in the opposite end zone from where we were sitting.

Had to look that word up and I'm smarter for it so thanks!

Agree that when  you put up the money to go...........you should see something.  We already have the preseason games

Had to look that word up and I'm smarter for it so thanks!

Agree that when  you put up the money to go...........you should see something.  We already have the preseason games

I cheated. I spelled it aggregiously and got the red line so spell checked. When it said egregiously it didn't look right so I crossed my fingers that's the word I wanted. :)

As Nadine said it was a direct result and was reported from NFL insiders. Be that is may it could be any team. I wish they hadn't changed it. I hate when the NFL panders. I enjoy all football games. I like the strategy so watching two losing teams play or low scoring does not bother me in the least.

But I get why they did it and if it wasn't the colts who shall we say reminded the NFL of competition it would haven been somebody else.

BTW- I thought I read up post the colts losing that game affected the Pats seeding or something? So I don't pay attention to that as I believe you must make your own destiny.

Just out of curiosity should the Broncos sit Manning? He looks tired and injured to me. How would you feel if the Broncos did sit Manning and lost a seed position?

Well he's listed as questionable so I am a bit concerned . If the Patriots somehow lose to the Jets I think Manning should play the entire game tomorrow . That's a BIG if tho and I personally think Denver is locked in the 2 seed and if we win tomorrow I think we should let Manning rest vs the Raiders . He needs it for the playoff run... We shall see though .

As Nadine said it was a direct result and was reported from NFL insiders. Be that is may it could be any team. I wish they hadn't changed it. I hate when the NFL panders. I enjoy all football games. I like the strategy so watching two losing teams play or low scoring does not bother me in the least.

But I get why they did it and if it wasn't the colts who shall we say reminded the NFL of competition it would haven been somebody else.

BTW- I thought I read up post the colts losing that game affected the Pats seeding or something? So I don't pay attention to that as I believe you must make your own destiny.

If my memory is correct the Texans were the ones who were kept out of a wild card spot by the Colts losing to the Jets. I could be wrong but I think that is correct. Been too many things happening to cloud my mind since then! haha