Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ulrick John Tidbit

dw49

I wouldn't say draft position means nothing.

Look again at the chart....   the higher you're drafted,  the more likely you are to stick with the team for a longer period of time.

I agree that you can make it in the league no matter what round you're taken,  even if you're an undrafted free agent.    It's quite possible.    But it is also less likely.

Put another way,  a team of 1st and 2nd rounders is going to be a better team than a team of 6th/7th and UFA's.  

So draft position does matter.....

Look again at the chart....   the higher you're drafted,  the more likely you are to stick with the team for a longer period of time.

I agree that you can make it in the league no matter what round you're taken,  even if you're an undrafted free agent.    It's quite possible.    But it is also less likely.

Put another way,  a team of 1st and 2nd rounders is going to be a better team than a team of 6th/7th and UFA's.  

"a team of 1st and 2nd rounders is going to be a better team than a team of 6th/7th and UFA's"

I understand the thinking on that but that's false

Of coarse it does and I don't think anyone even inferred that it doesn't . A high first round pick is often valued more than another teams whole draft. What some of us are pointing out is that you can't just "dismiss " a players chance of being a good player because he was drafted in the 7th round. 

"a team of 1st and 2nd rounders is going to be a better team than a team of 6th/7th and UFA's"

I understand the thinking on that but that's false

Gavin.....

If you're going to state that something is false -- fine -- but you might want to offer up some proof that it is false....

Otherwise,  all you've got is your opinion.

Gavin.....

If you're going to state that something is false -- fine -- but you might want to offer up some proof that it is false....

Otherwise,  all you've got is your opinion.

you stated a generalization, Using what you said I could pick out (Offense only)...Again...I get what you mean but I disagree

QB-Alex Smith...49ers....2005

RB-Trent Richardson......Browns....2012

TE-Anthony Becht......2001 Jets

WR-Darrius Heyward Bey......2009 Raiders

WR-John Baldwin......2011 Chiefs

OT-Levi Brown......Cardinals

OG-Danny Watkins.....2011 Eagles

OC-Samson Satele 2nd rounder Dolphins 2007

Now from the late rounds or undrafted I could pick out:

QB-Tom Brady-6th round Patriots.......Could have said Kurt Warner

RB-Priest Holmes-Undrafted

WR-Pierre Garcon-Colts 6th round

WR-Rod Smith-Undrafted, First signed by Patriots before making his name with Broncos

TE-Antonio Gates-SD Undrafted

OT-Jason Peters-Bills Undrafted

OG-Brian Waters-Cowboys Undrafted

OC-Jeff Saturday-Ravens-Undrafted (first signed to Ravens PS)

you stated a generalization, Using what you said I could pick out (Offense only)...Again...I get what you mean but I disagree

WR-Rod Smith-Undrafted, First signed by Patriots before making his name with Broncos

The point is not just picking the worst team of 1st and 2nd round picks vs. the best team of low picks and free agents.

Of course you can show how the team with the lower picks and free agents would be better.   When it's only one team of each, it's not hard to do.

But if you were going to pick 10 teams of each,   far more teams of high picks, 8 or 9 out of 10 are likely going to be much better than a team of lower picks. 

While there are successes of lower picks and free agents,  those guys are more exceptions to the rule.   While there are far, far more successes of high picks.

So the odds are pretty overwhelming that a team of high picks is going to far outperform a team of lower picks.

Sorry I wasn't more clear with my last post....

27lbs, He weighed in at 288 according to his draft profile on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ulrick-john?id=2550159

Rotoworld had him at 300 either way I don't necessarily think you can right off his mobility simply because he added weight. He is a kid maybe he grew into his body and needed  the weight. We will see next year. I liked what I saw in the preseason no one ever heard of the guy has a Grig's find written all over him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9715/ulrick-john

if i get to pick any first or second round player and you get to pick anysixth or seventh rounder. I'm gone have the better team. You chose virtually all busts for one team and all the best for the other

if i get to pick any first or second round player and you get to pick anysixth or seventh rounder. I'm gone have the better team. You chose virtually all busts for one team and all the best for the other

That's my point, NCF stated "a team of 1st and 2nd rounders is going to be a better team than a team of 6th/7th and UFA's."

That seems a pretty cut and dry statement don't you think? So I took it as how it was stated, Besides I think my undrafted and late round guys can hang with most first rounders in there prime, I get what ya mean, Far more 1st and 2nd round guys have success then late rounders....That's obvious but how many undrafted or late rounders are given a shot in a game to show they can be successful? More late rounders would have success if more were given a real shot. Would it even out? No probably not.

Example: you have a wr who had a good college career yet came from a small no name school so he went late or even undrafted, fast forward to preseason...He is on the Colts roster and comes in with the 3rd string with Chandler Harnish.........That kid don't have a legit shot to produce....he has Harnish throwing to him...you might as well get a guy with a good arm out of the crowd to be honest because said wr stands about the same chance as Harnish throwing to him.