Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ulrick John Tidbit

dw49

Ahhh... thanks. My bad and shame on Grigson for just not waiving him after he was injured. 

Sarcasm. . . the spice of life LOL

No, but for real I heard that too, I'm always interested in prospects, if I remember correctly wasn't he pretty quick for a guy that big?  Heck I remember when people flipped out about Freeman, Adongo, Muamba.  I'm all for it, Grigson digging for talent; you will always have wash outs, but you can also find gems in the rough too

I doubt it. He was a 7th rounder. He'll probably be out of the league by this time next year.

and we have 2 undrafted free agents starting one named Zach kerr on defensive line and one named Harrison at center but yah they will probably be out of the league next year too lol get a grip

and we have 2 undrafted free agents starting one named Zach kerr on defensive line and one named Harrison at center but yah they will probably be out of the league next year too lol get a grip

And Philadelphia has an all pro left tackle named Jason Peters. Anyone know what round he was drafted in ?  

Yeah.. I mean a lot of 7th rounders only hang around a year or two and probably only around 20% really end up being good NFL players . We know that but Grigson thought he was a very good developmental prospect. Small school guy that needed to hit the weight room too. But none the less has a possibility to be a good tackle and God do we ever need help on the right side ...

I doubt it. He was a 7th rounder. He'll probably be out of the league by this time next year.

You know, Wes Welker was undrafted

Arian Foster was undrafted I do believe

Not about your draft ranking (You're a Colts fan.... Trent Richardson is a prime example of this)

Where you were drafted or if you weren't even drafted doesn't matter. It's what you do when you get in the league that matters

And Philadelphia has an all pro left tackle named Jason Peters. Anyone know what round he was drafted in ?

Yeah.. I mean a lot of 7th rounders only hang around a year or two and probably only around 20% really end up being good NFL players . We know that but Grigson thought he was a very good developmental prospect. Small school guy that needed to hit the weight room too. But none the less has a possibility to be a good tackle and God do we ever need help on the right side ...

Try more like 3%.

Try more like 3%.

Here ya go .... looks like my 20% is a bit closer than your ridiculous 3 %. Please don't waste my time with your baseless annoying posts. I don't have time to dominate posters like you constantly. Now just take your whipping and don't to post anything else on this subject. Love beating you to a pulp.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/5/13/5713996/how-long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

For the record,  here's the graph that's in DW49's link.....

Round  Year 1  Year 2  Year 3   Year 4   Year 5

1           99.7% 93.5%  83.9%  77.4%  71.0%

2           96.8% 96.1%  83.9%  74.2%  41.9%

3           96.9% 75.1%  62.5%  37.5%  18.8%

4           91.4% 74.3%  54.3%  34.3%  17.2%

5           81.1% 56.8%  37.8%  24.3%  16.2%

6           70.2% 57.5%  35.3%  20.9%  10.6%

7           58.3% 45.8%  31.3%  21.7%  16.7%

Thanks and I even gave him the benefit of the doubt saying  that being in the league 5 years would qualify a player to be considered legit. You could argue that 4 years and say 22%. You do have to throw out the first two years as teams generally keep their draft choices around to give them time to develop. 

Thanks and I even gave him the benefit of the doubt saying  that being in the league 5 years would qualify a player to be considered legit. You could argue that 4 years and say 22%. You do have to throw out the first two years as teams generally keep their draft choices around to give them time to develop. 

Honestly,  if you had pressed me and I had given numbers off the top of my head,  I doubt I would've come up with numbers for 7th round picks like this graph shows.

Those numbers are far, far higher than I ever would've guessed.

Honestly,  if you had pressed me and I had given numbers off the top of my head,  I doubt I would've come up with numbers for 7th round picks like this graph shows.

Those numbers are far, far higher than I ever would've guessed.

Did you think it would be much less than 1 in 5 or one in 6 ? .

You really need to look at years 4 and 5 IMO. The first two years teams place a lot of these players on injured reserve and reserve and those numbers could include the practice squad as this study actually stipulates that the player is still on the team that drafted him. I guess that would take some of the glitter of those %'s in the first 3 years but actually would probably mean that the %'s for years 4 and 5 might be low as some of these guys end up being good players for teams other than the one that drafted them.

Did you think it would be much less than 1 in 5 or one in 6 ? .

You really need to look at years 4 and 5 IMO. The first two years teams place a lot of these players on injured reserve and reserve and those numbers could include the practice squad as this study actually stipulates that the player is still on the team that drafted him. I guess that would take some of the glitter of those %'s in the first 3 years but actually would probably mean that the %'s for years 4 and 5 might be low as some of these guys end up being good players for teams other than the one that drafted them.

The 7th round numbers for years 4 and 5 were a little higher than I thought.

But the same numbers for years 1, 2 and 3 were much, much higher than I would've anticipated.    Much.

Way less than that. Although they may still be in the league I don't believe that qualifies them as good players. I think you would have to look at career starts and their career AV

Here ya go .... looks like my 20% is a bit closer than your ridiculous 3 %. Please don't waste my time with your baseless annoying posts. I don't have time to dominate posters like you constantly. Now just take your whipping and don't to post anything else on this subject. Love beating you to a pulp.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/5/13/5713996/how-long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

I didn't realize that simply being on a roster qualifies one as a good player. I guess 'good' is subjective, but I don't really consider someone like Ricardo Mathews good. The large majority of that 16% are just adequate role players or bench warmers. For every Ahmad Bradshaw you get ten Lance Louis's. 

He broke his ankle I don't see how that is going to have a huge impact on his mobility after a year to recover. It's not a major injury Or is it the 15lbs that kills his mobility I liked what little I saw during the preseason look forward to seeing him next yr

He broke his ankle I don't see how that is going to have a huge impact on his mobility after a year to recover. It's not a major injury Or is it the 15lbs that kills his mobility I liked what little I saw during the preseason look forward to seeing him next yr

27lbs, He weighed in at 288 according to his draft profile on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ulrick-john?id=2550159

This whole forum is a great way to waste time.  Especially when the hair-pulling cat fights start. I'm gonna go pop up some Orville Redenbacher Extra Butter, just sit back and waste some more time.

This is interesting data.  And this only shows the percentage that are still with the team after each year, so some would still be in the league but with other teams.

That year five mark is where some players may be leaving as unrestricted free agents.  Interesting data points to me:

- Big drop from 2nd round to 3rd round in year five (41.9% vs. 18.8%)

- Not much difference between 3rd round and 7th in year five (18.8% vs. 16.7%)

- Not much difference at all between 3rd through 7th in year five.

- Odd anomaly in round 6 in year 5.  Much less than the surrounding values.

This is interesting data.  And this only shows the percentage that are still with the team after each year, so some would still be in the league but with other teams.

That year five mark is where some players may be leaving as unrestricted free agents.  Interesting data points to me:

- Big drop from 2nd round to 3rd round in year five (41.9% vs. 18.8%)

- Not much difference between 3rd round and 7th in year five (18.8% vs. 16.7%)

- Not much difference at all between 3rd through 7th in year five.

- Odd anomaly in round 6 in year 5.  Much less than the surrounding values.

Right, it's statistcs and can't be taken to mean more than that.

For example, those 3rd round guys may be starters and the 7th bench riders. Another interesting stat would be the percentage of UDFAs that are in the league for five years. I'd say it's higher than 7th rounders (simply because of statistical probability).

You know, Wes Welker was undrafted

Arian Foster was undrafted I do believe

Not about your draft ranking (You're a Colts fan.... Trent Richardson is a prime example of this)

Where you were drafted or if you weren't even drafted doesn't matter. It's what you do when you get in the league that matters

Throw Jeff Saturday into that as well. Heck Bethea was a 6 rounder...I agree that draft position means nothing.

I didn't realize that simply being on a roster qualifies one as a good player. I guess 'good' is subjective, but I don't really consider someone like Ricardo Mathews good. The large majority of that 16% are just adequate role players or bench warmers. For every Ahmad Bradshaw you get ten Lance Louis's. 

I figured a player that last at least 5 years in the league could be considered a good player. If he's just a bench warmer , that would mean his team would be using almost 750K on him when they could instead give a one or two year guy around 440K to fill that spot. I really don't know if the "large majority" of those players are Lance Lewis types. But yes u

you can certainly argue my se of the word good. 

Right, it's statistcs and can't be taken to mean more than that.

For example, those 3rd round guys may be starters and the 7th bench riders. Another interesting stat would be the percentage of UDFAs that are in the league for five years. I'd say it's higher than 7th rounders (simply because of statistical probability).

Yeah .. if the Colts bring in 1 7th round draft pick and 16 free agent rookies , you are going to have more FA's making the roster than 7th rounders. Say the odds are 50-50 on the 7th rounder and 1-5 on the free agents. You would have 1/2 vs 3.

Source please ? Or did you pull that out of your coulee ?

http://www.milehighr...ck-stick-around

You say 20% of 7th rounder become "good" players, I say it's closer to 3%. How long they stick around is irrelevant. You can save your +y attitude.

You say 20% of 7th rounder become "good" players, I say it's closer to 3%. How long they stick around is irrelevant. I don't know why you're getting +y with me.

Just was busting your chops. But you are no doubt low on the odds of a guy like John making it in the NFL. 

Maybe a little. I was using a little hyperbole because I think 20% of 7th rounders turning into "good" NFL players is high. 

I'll give you that as I meant to say more on the lines as "useful." I really didn't mean to infer that 20% started as I would have no clue as to that number. No doubt 20 % would be high. However I think it should be noted that that 17% the study shows are only the 7th rounders that are still with the team that drafted them. Many more would be on other teams. Also these guys would be more than "bench warming roster fillers" as the minimum pay for a 5 year guy is around 750K. If a 5 year vet was like the 48th to 53rd guy , a team would opt to sign a younger player for around 430K.

This whole forum is a great way to waste time.  Especially when the hair-pulling cat fights start. I'm gonna go pop up some Orville Redenbacher Extra Butter, just sit back and waste some more time.

And its over 3rd string (4th/5th?) RT Ulrick John.

Then again.....Elton John probably represents an upgrade at RT. :facepalm:

And its over 3rd string (4th/5th?) RT Ulrick John.

Then again.....Elton John probably represents an upgrade at RT. :facepalm:

Not like someone shoved this thread down your throat. Did you guys ever consider just moving on and not bother with it. If you think Ulrick John is a useless future 4th or 5th T on the depth chart , why even open the thread ? Have some popcorn with the cat.

Not like someone shoved this thread down your throat. Did you guys ever consider just moving on and not bother with it. If you think Ulrick John is a useless future 4th or 5th T on the depth chart , why even open the thread ? Have some popcorn with the cat.

Okay okay....it was a cheap shot.

But c'mon dw....have a chuckle once in a while. 

How serious do we really wanna take this stuff? :dunno: