Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

landry

OLD FAN MAN

I know alot of people hate on Landry and the whole suspension thing made it even worse but I am a fan of Landry.  I think he's experienced, he tackles well for the most part, hes fast and he's usually good against the run. He's also a bigger hitter.  I am still waiting on him to make a big play or two(better now than ever).  On the other side I think Sergio is better in coverage, that pass he broke up towards the end of the game last week was amazing.  I am not so sure Landry would have done that.  I am glad we got lucky with Mike Adams as well.  He has been an amazing pick up!

It's nice to have 1 over acheiving safety in Mike Adams and 2 role players like Landry and Brown, who have different attributes in the same position.  I agree I think we need to blitz Landry more, and bring him up to stop runs.  Brown is quite a bit better in coverage, even though Landry is probably a little faster.  Brown and Adams just seem to be in the right place at the right time.  It's inconsistent but I like how they play each of them just like the tandem of Trent/Boom and Fleener/Allen.  Alot of teams don't have the luxury of 2 different types of players in a variety of positions.  In the playoffs this is extremely important to notice because of matchup problems.  We can create one or cover them up, depending what the other team has.

In that latest Venturi interview that has been going around he suggests that maybe the Colts should try using the dime package and substituting Landry for D Jackson in that package ... I would not mind seeing them experiment with some things like that.

In that latest Venturi interview that has been going around he suggests that maybe the Colts should try using the dime package and substituting Landry for D Jackson in that package ... I would not mind seeing them experiment with some things like that.

Gotta flip the creative switch on in Manusky head for that

Him & Pep should really change some things if we're gonna roll with who we're rolling with now through the playoffs

Like do plays that HELP the struggling offensive line. And help Luck work on getting rid of the ball quicker

Landry has played well since coming off suspension.  And he actually played well last year before he got hurt.  He's worthy of keeping and letting him play out his contract.

I always thought that he should be an in the box safety, despite his tendency to want to hit instead of wrap.  Adams has played well and Sergio has shown some ability to play coverage.  I think all three can work well when rotated during certain defensive calls.

playoff time , time to use landry like bob sanders in the box to stop the run and sack the qb. comments?

Sanders was not used in the box to stop the run and sack the QB.  Sanders did that from his normal safety spot.

Also everyone wants to credit Sanders' return with the SB run and he made is presence felt no doubt.  But equally important was in week 15(after Jax 375) Dungy finally pulled the plug on Gilbert Grape Gardner and put Rob Morris in at SAM.  When he did that, the defense got better and by the time the playoffs came Morris was comfortable in that SAM spot and really played lights in the playoffs and SB.

Sanders was not used in the box to stop the run and sack the QB.  Sanders did that from his normal safety spot.

Also everyone wants to credit Sanders' return with the SB run and he made is presence felt no doubt.  But equally important was in week 15(after Jax 375) Dungy finally pulled the plug on Gilbert Grape Gardner and put Rob Morris in at SAM.  When he did that, the defense got better and by the time the playoffs came Morris was comfortable in that SAM spot and really played lights in the playoffs and SB.

You know what  your right. IDK if I'd say that was the biggest thing but Morris played a lot better at Sam than he did as a MLB. I really criticized his play in the middle but he did a heck of a job at Sam and he made some big stops from that position.