Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boom Herron making noise around the NFL

TKnight24

We also stagnate on offense with Richardson in. Would you rather be 2nd and 4 or 5 or second and 10 or 8 ?

Would you rather the Colts turn the ball over or score a touchdown?

Richardson is a great pass blocker. We can just pass! Even though that hasn't been working either!

Our offense just stinks! ;)

Boom's only problem has been fumbling, but yeah he held on to the ball last week so maybe its behind him. I'm high on him. I think he can be really really good and I want to see him get 15 or 16 carries against Dallas.

He 

Richardson is a great pass blocker. We can just pass! Even though that hasn't been working either!

Right now our offense has been playing poorly the D has been playing well but then again look at who we have played the last few games 

You have to be able to run to keep a D honest. Offense doesn't stink, just needs a little tweak. Richardson has put it on the ground as well ,and tho I hate to admit it even Bradshaw did a time or 2. Im sure they've addressed taking care of the ball. Whens the last time you seen a RB for the Colts break a big run besides Boom. Not trying to argue or put you down just trying to point some things out. Richardson should be utilized more as a Dump pass receiver , more affective in that capacity than running. You are right about his pass blocking. 

Time for the coaching staff to stop being stubborn and start him and give him 20 carries a game.

sure hes great but someone made a good point where trich is great at blocking luck. He can make a great 3rd down run game if its 3 yards or less and he catches great. Boom is not the best blocker but only a good runner. Theyre just mixing up the game.

"Richardson is the starter."

Come on man it's almost Christmas & a time for tidings of good joy. Please stop depressing me. Sigh...Just Kidding MTC! 

Boom Herron gets me excited almost as much as Bradshaw used to do with the ball in his hands. Please Coach Pagano start Boomstick. Even our o-line loves blocking for him man. TR flat out sucks running the ball.

Use TR in blitz pick up & the screen game, but how many times must he slam into a wall of defenders for no gain before Chuck says "Well, this failed experiment is an exercise in futility." 

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again expecting a different result." It's like watching a NASCAR hit the wall at over 200 MPH on a permanent feedback loop. Nothing to see here. Move along now. 

sure hes great but someone made a good point where trich is great at blocking luck. He can make a great 3rd down run game if its 3 yards or less and he catches great. Boom is not the best blocker but only a good runner. Theyre just mixing up the game.

sure. I can see that. The only thing that pains me to see is Trent richardson carry the ball on 2nd and long. Herron can get 3-5 yards on 2nd and long to set up a manageable 3rd down where as T rich 9/10 will kill the drive.

Blocking is important for an RB, but honestly, I will take a 5.1 ypc RB over the 3.4 ypc RB and keep coaching him on blocking. I'm sorry but if we want a blocking RB that gets 3.4 ypc, there are plenty of FB's out there for less money (yes TRich is cheap $wise, but really). Boom has earned every carry we can give him at this point. We need him carrying the ball, plain and simple. I don't recall hearing many defensive coordinators game planning around a decent blocking RB. But I know of many that must game plan around an RB that averages 5.1 ypc, especially when he plays on the same team as a QB like Andrew Luck.

You have to be able to run to keep a D honest. Offense doesn't stink, just needs a little tweak. Richardson has put it on the ground as well ,and tho I hate to admit it even Bradshaw did a time or 2. Im sure they've addressed taking care of the ball. Whens the last time you seen a RB for the Colts break a big run besides Boom. Not trying to argue or put you down just trying to point some things out. Richardson should be utilized more as a Dump pass receiver , more affective in that capacity than running. You are right about his pass blocking. 

Anybody that says this offense stinks plays way to much Madden.  :funny:  I believe we are now 2nd in the league....did the Pats pass us?

I will see if I can find a quote, but from what I recall in a recent article, Boom had yet to fully learn to playbook. Can hamper the offense when Andrew is trying to audible at the line of scrimmage to a play Boom may not know yet. May not be the case of why he is not getting more snaps but that could be one of the reasons.

WE ARE A 2 BACK SYSTEM!!!!  Doesn't matter if we didn't have Trent, we would still have 2 backs running the football.  It's been like that from day1 of the Grigson/Pagano era.  That's how it will be for some time to come.  I don't know why people are always calling for Boom (or Bradshaw when healthy) to get ALL the carries.  Forget whoever is the "starter".   That only means who took the first snap at the beginning of the game.  If you havent noticed, about 80% of the time the coaching staff has one running back in and on the next drive he is on the sideline.  They will also interchange depending on # of consecutive plays, if one of them seem gassed, and at times on 3rd downs.  Anyway, none of that matters!  Boom is our "featured" back, just like Ahmad was.  Boom and Bradshaw get the majority of the carries because they get the most yards.  They have one running style (slasher/scrapper with speed).  Trent is the other back (power/blocking/reliever).  Trent comes in during passing plays, and to give the "featured" back a break, because he is a more superior blocker, and he is stronger.  It helps wear down the defense after Boom tears them apart

Not trying to burst anybodies bubble, but that is just the way it is...

WE ARE A 2 BACK SYSTEM!!!!  Doesn't matter if we didn't have Trent, we would still have 2 backs running the football.  It's been like that from day1 of the Grigson/Pagano era.  That's how it will be for some time to come.  I don't know why people are always calling for Boom (or Bradshaw when healthy) to get ALL the carries.  Forget whoever is the "starter".   That only means who took the first snap at the beginning of the game.  If you havent noticed, about 80% of the time the coaching staff has one running back in and on the next drive he is on the sideline.  They will also interchange depending on # of consecutive plays, if one of them seem gassed, and at times on 3rd downs.  Anyway, none of that matters!  Boom is our "featured" back, just like Ahmad was.  Boom and Bradshaw get the majority of the carries because they get the most yards.  They have one running style (slasher/scrapper with speed).  Trent is the other back (power/blocking/reliever).  Trent comes in during passing plays, and to give the "featured" back a break, because he is a more superior blocker, and he is stronger.  It helps wear down the defense after Boom tears them apart

Not trying to burst anybodies bubble, but that is just the way it is...

Not bursting mine at all.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the thread is titled Boom making noise around the NFL and then the only source cited is from a Colts paid employee? 

I like Boom and clearly the coaches have decided at money time, he is the person who will be in the backfield.  But this is a bit on the sensationalized side.

Not bursting mine at all.

Its a good thing we have a 2 back system.  If Boom has the hot hand we can always keep riding him like we did at the end of the Texans game.  If somebody gets injured, then next man up!  Just as Boom has.  I think it's foolish to try having a primary back in this day and age, mainly because it's easy to be injured as a RB and carrying that type of load is a lot of work.  Players just cant do it all season long (unless you have an extremely good back).  Let alone their whole career.  The NFL has changed from a decade ago.  It's not uncommon, and it seems to be working for a lot of teams!

Its a good thing we have a 2 back system.  If Boom has the hot hand we can always keep riding him like we did at the end of the Texans game.  If somebody gets injured, then next man up!  Just as Boom has.  I think it's foolish to try having a primary back in this day and age, mainly because it's easy to be injured as a RB and carrying that type of load is a lot of work.  Players just cant do it all season long (unless you have an extremely good back).  Let alone their whole career.  The NFL has changed from a decade ago.  It's not uncommon, and it seems to be working for a lot of teams!

We have to play to the backs strengths not weakness and it seems we do this at times and leaves us in a funk.

We have to play to the backs strengths not weakness and it seems we do this at times and leaves us in a funk.

This. 

We know Richardson is great at blocking, and he's great at catching passes out of the backfield. Throw him the dang ball!!!! 

If we quit running against stacked boxes that would help both RB's as well. 

I think Boom is getting better at blocking (still not A+ like Trent and Bradshaw) but he's playing a little better every week. Just keep a tight grip on that ball, and he's good at catch and runs too. 

Please throw more passes to our RB's!! 

This. 

We know Richardson is great at blocking, and he's great at catching passes out of the backfield. Throw him the dang ball!!!! 

If we quit running against stacked boxes that would help both RB's as well. 

I think Boom is getting better at blocking (still not A+ like Trent and Bradshaw) but he's playing a little better every week. Just keep a tight grip on that ball, and he's good at catch and runs too. 

Please throw more passes to our RB's!! 

Like !!!! outta those critters but great point Lolly, sure goes a long way in slowing a pass rush !

I agree.  Trent is one of my favorite players, but the only time he should be on the field the first two drives is to pass block.  Get Boom going early, then have Trent continue to wear down the defense.  After the first quarter, bounce back and forth the runs.  In the 3rd Trent should get the majority of the carries, and let Herron finish the game off strong.  This is an ideal situation to keep both of them fresh and play their best.  Unless one of them are playing undeniable great, and cant be stopped, then you keep riding that player.

I agree.  Trent is one of my favorite players, but the only time he should be on the field the first two drives is to pass block.  Get Boom going early, then have Trent continue to wear down the defense.  After the first quarter, bounce back and forth the runs.  In the 3rd Trent should get the majority of the carries, and let Herron finish the game off strong.  This is an ideal situation to keep both of them fresh and play their best.  Unless one of them are playing undeniable great, and cant be stopped, then you keep riding that player.

Ride the hot hand and it allows your other assets to be utilized more freely, thus keeping the appositions D off balance.

Trent does not catch great he has average hands but when he does catch it he looks nice running after the catch.

@KBowenColts: Of the NFL's top 65 leaders in rushing attempts at the RB position, Boom Herron’s 5.1 yards per carry is the 3rd highest (61 attempts).

:colts:

I love this kid.. I wish he was a better pass blocker, which is what I really miss about Ahmad. But we really need to let Boom run wild in two weeks.