Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Peyton buy the Titans?

ColtsBlueFL

I just can't envision this scenario at all. Just because Peyton is a HOF QB doesn't mean his competitive drive to win translates into front office Titans success. 

Usually, highly motivated people find it difficult to apply player victories to franchise victories behind the scenes. If 18 wants to take a crack at NFL ownership, more power to him, but ownership is a whole different animal. 

If Manning did buy the Titans & they continued to underperform in the AFC South, how long would he be able to endure failure before trying another venture to occupy his free time? 

When things come naturally to use as an elite QB, lumps as a front office guy are almost unbearable to endure. I have no doubt Peyton is very determined to succeed no matter what he does, but sometimes, you bite off more than you can chew & there are certain pursuits in life that just never pan out in life. 

A horrible idea if you ask me. 

I just can't envision this scenario at all. Just because Peyton is a HOF QB doesn't mean his competitive drive to win translates into front office Titans success. 

Usually, highly motivated people find it difficult to apply player victories to franchise victories behind the scenes. If 18 wants to take a crack at NFL ownership, more power to him, but ownership is a whole different animal. 

If Manning did buy the Titans & they continued to underperform in the AFC South, how long would he be able to endure failure before trying another venture to occupy his free time? 

When things come naturally to use as an elite QB, lumps as a front office guy are almost unbearable to endure. I have no doubt Peyton is very determined to succeed no matter what he does, but sometimes, you bite off more than you can chew & there are certain pursuits in life that just never pan out in life. 

A horrible idea if you ask me. 

I tend to agree with you but we must remember P.M. is a legend in Tennessee.  The Vols get way more attention there than the Titans. My brother lives in Tennessee and he said Manning could run for political office there and more than likely win. If Manning did buy the Titans it sure would be popular there. Who knows what P.M. will do? He could just walk away and spent the rest of his time with his family. It's not like he needs more money! :dunno:  

I don't think it's possible. The Bills just sold for $1.1 billion... I googled Manning's estimated net worth and am getting around $165 million from a couple of different sources. Do the math.

Maybe he'd be in as part of a partnership team with Papa John or something. But on his own, Peyton doesn't have the dough, despite the fact that he's utterly loaded. 

Sure why not? He can handle it and already has a good understanding of the inner workings of a franchise. He loves football and wants to stay connected IMO. How much would he own and with who? For more of the Peyton and Brady comparison it has been rumored that Kraft is going to give Brady some ownership shares in the Patriots upon Brady's retirement (he's signed through 2018). 

Sure why not? He can handle it and already has a good understanding of the inner workings of a franchise. He loves football and wants to stay connected IMO. How much would he own and with who? For more of the Peyton and Brady comparison it has been rumored that Kraft is going to give Brady some ownership shares in the Patriots upon Brady's retirement (he's signed through 2018). 

Yes. Brady selling his mansion in LA pretty much confirms that he has something in the works with the Pats post-retirement.

Yes. Brady selling his mansion in LA pretty much confirms that he has something in the works with the Pats post-retirement.

Did you see the SI article last week?

I think he's going to open up a chain of sports training facilities that promote all of his somewhat wacky (but apparently effective) techniques and philosophies. 

Did you see the SI article last week?

I think he's going to open up a chain of sports training facilities that promote all of his somewhat wacky (but apparently effective) techniques and philosophies. 

Yes. He did seem pretty keen on helping to educate young athletes on how to take care of their bodies to prevent injuries and extend their careers. Still, I think he is involved with the Pats at some level in mgmt.

Yes. He did seem pretty keen on helping to educate young athletes on how to take care of their bodies to prevent injuries and extend their careers. Still, I think he is involved with the Pats at some level in mgmt.

He was pitching it on EEI this week during his sit down with with D & C. It's really common sense theories on different muscle types for different positions to help avoid being injured to begin with and nutritional/therapeutic healing.  

I tend to agree with you but we must remember P.M. is a legend in Tennessee.  The Vols get way more attention there than the Titans. My brother lives in Tennessee and he said Manning could run for political office there and more than likely win. If Manning did buy the Titans it sure would be popular there. Who knows what P.M. will do? He could just walk away and spent the rest of his time with his family. It's not like he needs more money! :dunno:  

I get what you're saying CC1. Yes, your right Peyton is beloved in Tennessee, INDY, & now Denver that is true, but Peyton wouldn't be able to buy the team & just walk away though because he's a perfectionist & if the Titans continued to struggle that would drive Manning crazy since his reputation is synonymous with winning at an elite level. 

Trust me, highly motivated guys can't stand failure. It destroys them. I have no doubt that Peyton would be relentless to succeed at an ownership level, but the question is this: If things continued to suck in Tennessee, how long does he wait before he jumps ship & invests his name & money elsewhere? I just don't this materializing at all personally cash flow aside. 

I get what you're saying CC1. Yes, your right Peyton is beloved in Tennessee, INDY, & now Denver that is true, but Peyton wouldn't be able to buy the team & just walk away though because he's a perfectionist & if the Titans continued to struggle that would drive Manning crazy since his reputation is synonymous with winning at an elite level. 

Trust me, highly motivated guys can't stand failure. It destroys them. I have no doubt that Peyton would be relentless to succeed at an ownership level, but the question is this: If things continued to suck in Tennessee, how long does he wait before he jumps ship & invests his name & money elsewhere? I just don't this materializing at all personally cash flow aside. 

I don't think he will buy the Titans I was just speaking in general. I have a personal feeling he will walk away when it comes the day he decides football is over. Him and his wife have invested in a few select ventures. It's hard to say because his personal life is pretty guarded. Who knows what lurks in his mind?? :mindblow:

I don't think it's possible. The Bills just sold for $1.1 billion... I googled Manning's estimated net worth and am getting around $165 million from a couple of different sources. Do the math.

Maybe he'd be in as part of a partnership team with Papa John or something. But on his own, Peyton doesn't have the dough, despite the fact that he's utterly loaded. 

If I had that kind of net worth GP, I'd invest in say Dreamworks with Steven Speilberg or director Peter Jackson's WETA Digital  special effects company. Movies is where the real money is IMHO.

https://www.wetafx.co.nz/ 

Peter Jackson has made a fortune on the Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit film trilogies. Or see if he can get a slice of the upcoming JJ Abrams Star Wars franchise pie. Ka Ching!  haha

If I had that kind of net worth GP, I'd invest in say Dreamworks with Steven Speilberg or director Peter Jackson's WETA Digital  special effects company. Movies is where the real money is IMHO.

https://www.wetafx.co.nz/ 

Peter Jackson has made a fortune on the Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit film trilogies. Or see if he can get a slice of the upcoming JJ Abrams Star Wars franchise pie. Ka Ching!  haha

It felt odd saying someone's net worth was "only" $165 million! 

The NFL owners club is a collection of billionaires though. Except for the Packers of course. 

This would be my thing.  Peyton's made a lot of money from commercials and playing in the NFL, but you usually have to be a billionare to be the majority owner of a NFL team.  

Edit: Forbes has the Titans valued at $1,160,000,000 . . . Way out of Manning's price range.

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/#page:2_sort:0_direction:asc_search:

I don't think he will buy the Titans I was just speaking in general. I have a personal feeling he will walk away when it comes the day he decides football is over. Him and his wife have invested in a few select ventures. It's hard to say because his personal life is pretty guarded. Who knows what lurks in his mind?? :mindblow:

I read ya CC1. You are making perfect sense. I wasn't really slamming you intentionally anyway. I just know that when a person like Peyton is accustomed to winning any bump in the road is hard to swallow that's all I was getting at. I could see Manning working with John Elway in some sort of front office post in Denver down the road since he respects #7 so much as a mentor. 

It felt odd saying someone's net worth was "only" $165 million! 

The NFL owners club is a collection of billionaires though. Except for the Packers of course. 

Yeah, I know right. I can't even wrap my brain around all those precious zeros man. It's mind boggling when you think about it. 

I do like your owner Robert Kraft though GP. He seems so grounded & down to earth. If NE does win the SB in February, I'm cool with it since your entire organization is world class. Besides, even though I live in NFC Packers country, I've always been an AFC Colts, Patriots, Broncos, Ravens dude anyway. LOL! 

I read ya CC1. You are making perfect sense. I wasn't really slamming you intentionally anyway. I just know that when a person like Peyton is accustomed to winning any bump in the road is hard to swallow that's all I was getting at. I could see Manning working with John Elway in some sort of front office post in Denver down the road since he respects #7 so much as a mentor. 

I didn't take it that way. It is kinda strange to think about the NFL after Manning steps away.

This would be my thing.  Peyton's made a lot of money from commercials and playing in the NFL, but you usually have to be a billionare to be the majority owner of a NFL team.  

Edit: Forbes has the Titans valued at $1,160,000,000 . . . Way out of Manning's price range.

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/#page:2_sort:0_direction:asc_search:

The main / lead owner of the team (in a partnership) needs only commit 30% into the team to meet NFL rules.  Still, that's a lot of money; even for Peyton to fork over.

Can he be our QB Coach?

I always find questions like this fascinating for 2 reasons. 1. While it's true that 18 excels at knowing what the defense is going to do before they do it because he is such a meticulous student of the game, just because you can do it yourself doesn't mean that you can pass that knowledge on to someone else at QB & 2. Once a HOF player hangs up their cleats for good, they are usually ready for new challenges beyond football. 

Once you've conquered 1 medium, trade, or discipline, you seldom return to it in almost the same capacity as a QB whisperer genius of sorts. JMO.  

I didn't take it that way. It is kinda strange to think about the NFL after Manning steps away.

Tell me about it man once Peyton Manning & Reggie Wayne are gone from the NFL, it's gonna be depressing as hades for me man. 

Yeah, I know they can't play forever. I'm just really gonna miss not watching #18 & #87 on Sundays that's all. 

I wonder who will fill Manning's shoes as most beloved athlete & profitable pitch man on TV though? Luck would be cool. I can roll with that. 

I just ran across an article that states the Titans would be up for sale next year and Peyton is seriously considering retiring and buying the Tennessee Titans football team.  Wow!

http://wate.com/2014/12/14/report-manning-could-buy-tennessee-titans/

I suppose it's a possibility.  I believe he'll still be involved with a team, one way or another, once he retires.   I look for him to stay in Denver. :dunno:    Time will tell.

Yeah, they'll let Peyton Manning in just because he is Peyton Manning. Sounds legit.

I believe you took things out of context and I don't think that's what he meant.   He meant Peyton could easily be "part-owner" and money wouldn't be an issue, because he has the $$$$.

I believe you took things out of context and I don't think that's what he meant.   He meant Peyton could easily be "part-owner" and money wouldn't be an issue, because he has the $$$$.

Ahh I see. Yeah true that, it could be a possibility depending on what percentage you have to put up in order to be a part-owner of the franchise. Manning certainly has more than enough money to offer.