Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't look now, but Geno Smith has "reclaimed" the starting QB position.

Moose Of Woe

There's probably pressure from the front office to play Geno, also. Regardless what happens with Rex and Idzik, the more they play Geno, the better, even if just for evaluation. But the hope is probably that he'll improve with more experience. If not, they'll get rid of him, too. His guaranteed money is done after this season.

In 2 years of drafting, he's had one guy who has become a good player, and that's Sheldon Richardson.  Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, and Geno Smith have all been high draft picks and have not contributed very much.  The coaching staff has also really contributed to the players' lack of development.  So bad drafting, plus bad coaching and development...you can't expect much from that

There's probably pressure from the front office to play Geno, also. Regardless what happens with Rex and Idzik, the more they play Geno, the better, even if just for evaluation. But the hope is probably that he'll improve with more experience. If not, they'll get rid of him, too. His guaranteed money is done after this season.

Exactly right. 

My gut feeling is all three - Idzik, Ryan, and Geno - are gone after this year. 

In 2 years of drafting, he's had one guy who has become a good player, and that's Sheldon Richardson.  Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, and Geno Smith have all been high draft picks and have not contributed very much.  The coaching staff has also really contributed to the players' lack of development.  So bad drafting, plus bad coaching and development...you can't expect much from that

Don't forget Muhammad Wilkerson, that dude is good too. The problem is offensive skill position development has been terrible throughout Ryan's tenure and in this current league, that is suicide.

I do think Geno Smith has a low ceiling but a higher floor than Vick if you had to choose between those two at this point in time. I expect Geno to play well on Monday Night which would mean not turn it over more than once though I do not fancy the Jets to score more than 20 points vs Miami.

Don't forget Muhammad Wilkerson, that dude is good too. The problem is offensive skill position development has been terrible throughout Ryan's tenure and in this current league, that is suicide.

I do think Geno Smith has a low ceiling but a higher floor than Vick if you had to choose between those two at this point in time. I expect Geno to play well on Monday Night which would mean not turn it over more than once though I do not fancy the Jets to score more than 20 points vs Miami.

Wilkerson was drafted in 2011, Idzik joined the Jets in 2013.  But Wilkerson is a beast.

Exactly right. 

My gut feeling is all three - Idzik, Ryan, and Geno - are gone after this year. 

That's a quick hook on Idzik. I'm not sure about that. He's definitely blown some draft picks, but you don't usually see a GM gone after two offseasons, especially when he's pre-dated by a struggling coach that the owner wanted to keep, and has a mess of a QB situation. They have a really good cap situation moving forward, with probably over $50m in cap space to fill some holes. Also, I think people are throwing the towel in on guys like Pryor and Amaro (and even Milliner) a little too soon.  If they can find a QB in the draft, and hire a good coach, they'll be in much better shape. 

Geno can stay and try to earn a spot as a backup. But he has a $276K workout bonus, presumably due sometime during spring or early summer. They might not want to pay that, even though it's not a big deal. It doesn't help them to keep him, but it doesn't hurt them to keep him, either. 

Rex is definitely gone. 

I thought you were talking about Rex Ryan. He does have a good eye for DL talent, it seems like, or a good DL coach (get him here if he gets fired).

Oh, sorry.  I should have clarified that.  I think Rex not only has a good eye for defensive talent, but he's also really good at making his scheme fit his players and getting the most out of his players.  I would love to see Rex here in Indy as a DC if (when) he gets fired.

Oh, sorry.  I should have clarified that.  I think Rex not only has a good eye for defensive talent, but he's also really good at making his scheme fit his players and getting the most out of his players.  I would love to see Rex here in Indy as a DC if (when) he gets fired.

His defensive secondary stinks. The defense overall gives up a lot of points.  Not many interceptions made.  Could be personnel, but he's been there long enough to make this his team. 

His defensive secondary stinks. The defense overall gives up a lot of points.  Not many interceptions made.  Could be personnel, but he's been there long enough to make this his team. 

The Jets have had a good run defense for quite a few years.  And losing guys like Revis has hurt his defense.  He needs CBs that can play on islands.  Pagano knows how to coach DBs, so combine that with Ryan's Xs and Os, his complex blitz scheme, and his ability to improve a team's run defense.  I think that can help us have a top 10 or even top 5 defense

The Jets have had a good run defense for quite a few years.  And losing guys like Revis has hurt his defense.  He needs CBs that can play on islands.  Pagano knows how to coach DBs, so combine that with Ryan's Xs and Os, his complex blitz scheme, and his ability to improve a team's run defense.  I think that can help us have a top 10 or even top 5 defense

I was just thinking about the sad history of the moves the Jets have made for QB:

Brett Favre

Mark Sanchez

Tim Tebow

Geno Smith

Mike Vick

I know we're talking defense here, but this is a really bad track record.   At least it doesn't include Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young. 

I was just thinking about the sad history of the moves the Jets have made for QB:

Brett Favre

Mark Sanchez

Tim Tebow

Geno Smith

Mike Vick

I know we're talking defense here, but this is a really bad track record.   At least it doesn't include Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young. 

Yet. I hear Jamassive is looking for takers.

Brett Favre

Mark Sanchez

Tim Tebow

Geno Smith

Mike Vick

Didn't Favre actually have a decent start to that year?  I think they were 8-3 or something to start, then he got hurt and their season went down the drain